• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta General MU Help/Discussion

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Dodge whatever he throws at you. Use MB to go through hydrant. Watch the video of ninja link vs abadango today get a feel for how to play that matchu.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
Pac man is a matchup I don't really use pellets too much on. Most of my damage comes from grab comboes. U air isn't super amazing in this MU because of hydrant which could also stage spike our recovery. Leaf shield goes through all of the bonus fruits tho and punishing pac man's lengthy grab animation is free damage for us. After their dash attacks, most pac man will follow up with a jab combo, use this as a chance to punish as well.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
So I had a match today against the best luigi player I have faced so far. Silver I rank on the ladder I am bronze I. He was power shielding all of my lemons really well and when he got in he racked up a ton of damage from grabs. I could keep him out fairly well with proper lemons.

He is a much better player than me and I held my own. It came down to the wire where I made a silly mistake and lost.

If we were the same caliber player I would almost always beat a luigi. I was playing a much better luigi and would say it was basically an even match. I had the percent lead with 20 sec left when he KO'd me.

I will post the video hopefully soon

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
My crew's Luigi got into the habit of power shielding my buster shots as well. So I started grabbing him more. You conditioned him into shielding.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
So yesterday at my local tpurnament I got in 2nd place with Megaman, only got beaten by Yoshi at finals, Ill post videos later

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
A local tournament from Honduras, dont think your friend was there, I know the winner and he was my friend

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Went to a custom tournament for doubles and singles yesterday using Mega Man exclusively. My partner and I did much better tahn I thought we would and got 2nd place (finally being defeated by a team of arguably our state's 2 best players and PR members). In singles I did well but ultimately lost to a :4shulk: 2-0 and had a real close set with a :4sonic:, the former of whom did not use customs at all as he personally dislikes them.I think the lost to Sonic was fine with me, but I could hardly kill Shulk at all and my poor edgeguarding allowed him to get back too easily and he had few problems gimping me whenever he had Jump or Smash activated. Even killed me offstage with double air slash/up and went back to the ledge, twice. Little help on Shulk?

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
Gotta zone shulk. His jump and speed arts are his easiest ways through projectile walls. Of course with jump, it makes it much easier for us to kill him. Smash is nasty as his combo game csn easily put us in kill percents. Shulk also has a really good DICIT. So watch your MB play. We can gimp shulk verticle recovery pretty easily. Bair and Nair off stage can stage spike or push him too far away to recover.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Not sure if stagespiking him is gonna work tho (or for how long I can rely on it), it becomes kinda negligible against better people considering how easy it is to tech it in this game, especially offline. I guess he still takes damage to get closer to his death percent though, so maybe I'll give it a go next time I play him and see if t works. Maybe I'll work on z-dropping metal blades and making better use of tornado hold as well (I'm prone to using it too early before my enemy needs to UpB, and as such I miss the gimp oppurtunity and they still get back to the ledge once it goes away).

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I can see Roy being pretty difficult for Megaman...

He kind of combines the things we hate from CF (huge reward on hit), Lucario (crazy early kills), Marth (nice poking/zoning game), and Fox (good combos/safe mobility)

I think he's quite a bit more difficult than Marcina and Fox, while having similar strengths to both.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Haven't faced an actual great Roy yet, but I haven't had that much trouble with him so far. One thing I love about fighting him is that god his recovery sucks, and I find him even easier to gimp than Marcina just by run off RAR Bair or even Leafstool. And I haven't gotten killed early by him that much, and when I did it looks to me like his great kill moves are either super unsafe or only work in real close ranges. Keeping an eye out for him, but I'm not really scared of him tbh. Being a person who's pocketing him and has played him a lot last week, it's :4lucas:that I'm worried about, personally.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I can see Roy being pretty difficult for Megaman...

He kind of combines the things we hate from CF (huge reward on hit), Lucario (crazy early kills), Marth (nice poking/zoning game), and Fox (good combos/safe mobility)

I think he's quite a bit more difficult than Marcina and Fox, while having similar strengths to both.
Fought a bunch of scrubby Roys on FG and i thought it could be dificult, but then i fought a good one on the ladder and it definitely is difficult.

Basically what you said, he gets a huge reward out of a hit or a grab, kills way too early, and his mobility is very good. Also at kill percents, is his dthrow>jump>up B guaranteed? I really hope it isn't.

I know he was released like yesterday but still, seems tough. One saving grace seems to be his recovery, since if he loses his jump and we hit him with something, that's game (my kills against the ladder player were from using nair off stage).

But considering that his up B beats freaking everything, easier said than done.

glenn

Smash Cadet
Lucas is terrible. Easier than Ness imo
Completely agree here. Lucas recovery is awful. Unlike Ness, who has kill power with it, Lucas' recovery has weak multi-hit properties, giving you ample reason to go out and gimp him. His PK Fire is much worse too, doesn't keep you pinned for a follow up. His Up-Smash is crazy powerful, but has so much lag, you can just walk up and up-tilt. As with the Ness matchup, provided you avoid challenging his aerials, with the exception of UAir which is amazing and juggles for days, you're pretty safe. Lucas has to approach.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Basically what you said, he gets a huge reward out of a hit or a grab, kills way too early, and his mobility is very good. Also at kill percents, is his dthrow>jump>up B guaranteed? I really hope it isn't.
If I'm thinking correctly, dthrow > upB is guaranteed until like 80 or so (won't kill). After that, you should be able to jump/dodge out.

Also yeah don't underestimate his recovery. It doesn't go incredibly far, but that hitbox has great priority and can super stage spike you (you just shoot straight down)

I have an interesting perspective on this because I'm currently transitioning from a Mega main to a Roy main or dual-main configuration. I think he's really good honestly.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
If I'm thinking correctly, dthrow > upB is guaranteed until like 80 or so (won't kill). After that, you should be able to jump/dodge out.

Also yeah don't underestimate his recovery. It doesn't go incredibly far, but that hitbox has great priority and can super stage spike you (you just shoot straight down)

I have an interesting perspective on this because I'm currently transitioning from a Mega main to a Roy main or dual-main configuration. I think he's really good honestly.
Yeah, like i said, i managed to hit him off stage but is not easy.

Also, well it sucks to lose you to Our Boy Overlord but he does seem very good so i can't blame you XD.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
His Fsmash is crazy strong, one killed me at like 60% from the edge with sweetspot no rage.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
A 20% fsmash will do that to you. Roy's so cool. Can't wait to see him develop as his aerial tippers lead to combos. Tipped UAir>Ftilt is a true combo that will kill. He has mediocre walk speed though.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Completely agree here. Lucas recovery is awful. Unlike Ness, who has kill power with it, Lucas' recovery has weak multi-hit properties, giving you ample reason to go out and gimp him. His PK Fire is much worse too, doesn't keep you pinned for a follow up. His Up-Smash is crazy powerful, but has so much lag, you can just walk up and up-tilt. As with the Ness matchup, provided you avoid challenging his aerials, with the exception of UAir which is amazing and juggles for days, you're pretty safe. Lucas has to approach.
Gonna have to disagree with this analysis.
  1. Just because Lucas' PK Thunder has less kill power doesn't mean its a worse recovery than Ness', especially not when his goes a further distance and pierces through opponentswhile Ness' only hits once (you can sometimes run off and take the hit from the head of PK Thunder to make it disappear, and Ness'll fall to his death) Not seeing what makes his recovery awful when he's got a giant double jump, PK Fire can push him towards the stage, a tether recovery, and a long distanced PK thunder.
  2. Lucas PK Fire may not lead into any followups, but it can explode against lemons and occasionally still hit Mega Man with good spacing.
  3. Yeah, the Usmash is awful, but what Lucas is actually going to use it except on hard reads. By your logic, I could comment on how slugissh Mega Man's Down Smash is with the large amount of cooldown it has, not to mention only the sweetspot/initial blast is any powerful and the flam pillars themselves are so narrow that they can be DI'd out of. Why would Lucas even need the Usmash anyway? He's got better kill moves in Bair, Fsmash, Dsmash, Uthrow, Bthrow, and even a killing hoo hah at around 110% with Dthrow > Uair.
Above all though, remember that these characters haven't even been out for a month and we still don't know all the stuff they can do just yet. Even the people who play the characters are still figuring them out.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
Lucas still isn't as good as ness. Ness has ways to easily combo us and do damage. Pk fire is deadly if at high percents. Lucas can't kill you at 60% with his pk thunder recovery like ness can. Hoo ha is a neat trick, but you can rush coil out of the kill percents.

Greward

Smash Lord
Lucas recovery is pretty good because he has a tether recovery (rope snake).
He should only use upB when he can't reach with Zair which happens rarely, and even then it's harder to gimp it than Ness'.
I don't know why are you comparing Ness to Lucas MUs when they have completely different gamestyles. Lucas is way more campy, based around PKF / Zair / Jab, Ness is more aerial based. Both want the grab in but so does most of the cast.

@ ravemaster47 ravemaster47 Rush coil is slower than air dodge, so if you can rush coil out you can always airdodge it. Not saying it's better to use airdodge always but surely Mega is easier to hoo haa than most of the cast because of his physics (heavy + fast faller).
Lucas hoo haa sometimes is legit, but most people are too slow to pull it off.

glenn

Smash Cadet
Gonna have to disagree with this analysis.
  1. Just because Lucas' PK Thunder has less kill power doesn't mean its a worse recovery than Ness', especially not when his goes a further distance and pierces through opponentswhile Ness' only hits once (you can sometimes run off and take the hit from the head of PK Thunder to make it disappear, and Ness'll fall to his death) Not seeing what makes his recovery awful when he's got a giant double jump, PK Fire can push him towards the stage, a tether recovery, and a long distanced PK thunder.
  2. Lucas PK Fire may not lead into any followups, but it can explode against lemons and occasionally still hit Mega Man with good spacing.
  3. Yeah, the Usmash is awful, but what Lucas is actually going to use it except on hard reads. By your logic, I could comment on how slugissh Mega Man's Down Smash is with the large amount of cooldown it has, not to mention only the sweetspot/initial blast is any powerful and the flam pillars themselves are so narrow that they can be DI'd out of. Why would Lucas even need the Usmash anyway? He's got better kill moves in Bair, Fsmash, Dsmash, Uthrow, Bthrow, and even a killing hoo hah at around 110% with Dthrow > Uair.
Above all though, remember that these characters haven't even been out for a month and we still don't know all the stuff they can do just yet. Even the people who play the characters are still figuring them out.
Yeah, I'll concede number 3, as no one's really going to play the character that way at a high level. But, I'm still of the opinion that PK Fire is not nearly as good as Ness' version. Getting a follow up is the point of throwing out that move. If someone is using that move as a zoning tool against Mega Man, they are gonna have a bad time. It's less useful in the neutral game as a result.

I think your first point needs more conversation. I'm kind of flip flopping on this one, since there are things about Lucas' recovery that are clearly better. Having a greater recovery range is a plus, it means Lucas can really go low if he needs to. But I think when he commits to PK thunder, he's easier to intercept. Ledge drop to BAir or run off BAir can knock him out of his trajectory if timed right and there's less risk involved in challenging it. Greward makes a good point about his tether, it's an additional thing Lucas can use to avoid PK Thunder or a double jump. If I was just comparing UP+B recoveries, I'd give it to Ness, but the tether option is really good for Lucas. So I'm undecided until I put in some more time against that character.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I don't think Tatsumaki is invincible everywhere in his body. Heard only his legs are invincible and nothing else is, but I dunno. Even if it can power through pellets, Ryu's Tatsumaki Senpukyaku is not safe on shield at all and you could probably just block and Up Tilt. I heard it doesn't have much utility except for comboing and recovering, not a neutral game tool.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Lucas can be equally if not more dangerous than ness, don't sleep on this boy from nowhere.

Also, never attempt fsmash against him. Should go without saying but still.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I need help with the ZSS and ROB MU

I can't say these are easy matchups.

Rob is probably about even I think, I see the same combos from.him most of the time. Laser > gyro, to dash attack grabbing gyro > throw gyro.

ZSS is a bit easier I think, just be careful of being Locked in lemon animation. Your lemons will cancel out her stun gun. I use a lot of bair and uair in this fight and commit less to grabbing.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
I recently entered a tournament and had a pretty easy time except against Sheik. It just felt like I couldn't do anything, her needles forcing me to get close and getting super punished once I did. Anyone have any advice on this one? For the record customs was on and I think the Sheik used some custom needles, I'm not too good on the customs and enjoy playing without them and therefore prefer advice that doesn't say "use this or this custom".

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Lemons help a lot here. Always look out for bouncing fish and try not to commit to anything unless you are sure it will hit as you can get punished really easy for whiffs

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Lemons help a lot here. Always look out for bouncing fish and try not to commit to anything unless you are sure it will hit as you can get punished really easy for whiffs
I felt as if my lemons didnt do anything at all, maybe I just got really uncomfortable (it's really the first time I play megaman against sheik).

I'll try to lemon more next time I play sheik :)!

Top Bottom