• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta General MU Help/Discussion

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Who's been your toughest character to face as MegaMan so far? Pretty simple. And this is not for what you think it will be for competitive purposes. Just your experience so far.

This is now the General MU discussion/help thread. If you're not discussing the MU being discussed in the Zero's Advice thread, please use this one. Your posts will be quoted when the MU you do discuss comes up in the Zero's Advice thread.

Last edited:

Wallyaldo

Smash Rookie
I've found characters like Bowser and Little Mac who have super armor force you to play either safer or more offensively depending on how they approach you. It's harder for me to control the pace of the battle, especially against Bowsers.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I was about to put a lot of input into match ups. I played a lot of different characters and have a lot of input on them. (Especially with Olimar)

For who I am struggling with, I thought Little Mac was going to be the most difficult MU personally, but he's very easy to figure out. Shield and Metal Blades are your best friend in this MU. Metal Blades can negate the super armor Mac takes advantage of which is really nice. It's a match up that takes a lot of patience but very do-able.

I seem to not be able to do well against Mario. He shouldn't seem too difficult, but his cape and quick frame data make him obnoxious to deal with. I will definitely need to practice the MU. I also do not recommend playing against Palutena atm.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I haven't come across a lot of Palutena's, but I feel like the lag on her moves plays well with MegaMan's punishes. I've been struggling with super campy villagers. Can't seem to get in on them.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I've actually had difficulty with ROB, his Gyro is one of those projectiles that you don't really have an answer to. So are his shield-breaking lasers, which will gradually charge as ROB proceeds to outzone you with Gyro's and proper spacing. There is also the fact that he is very annoying to kill as it is, and his extremely powerful recovery only adds to the annoyance. Characters like Little Mac or Bowser having a hard time getting back on after some abuse, ROB is never this way. 200% on him or you're not getting that kill, it's as simple as that.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I have a bit of difficulty with Sheik myself, but once I give myself a little distance I do much better. Mega has the tools to get people away from him well enough, so I will just blame this on my inexperience.

I'm weirdly starting to find little uses for Leaf Shield (LS) when I originally thought it was terrible, too. It's nice to be able to throw down a Metal Blade, pick it up, LS, and then playfully approach. Is it the best strat? Nah, but it's not bad.

Last edited:

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I've only played the matchup a couple times, but I feel like Zelda is THE hard counter to Megaman. Her phantom swallows all projectiles, she has her very fast reflector, and she is very strong on top of that. All her anti projectile/zoning moves are very fast and relatively lagless.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I have to say ZSS. While I did lose lots of matches, she is the ONLY character against who I cannot think of any strategy. She is just so fast !

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Mega Man vs. Rosalina is Disgusting, imo :urg:. 8-2 MU tbh, maybe even 9-1. I got bodied HARD by a Rosalina player when i was playing against him. Rosalina's Down B is the bane (<- lol) of my existence when it comes to playing as Mega Man.
I'm going to quote something that was said about this before.

Honestly feel like the Megaman vs. Rosalina MU, is probably one of Mega Man's worst :ohwell:
Especially when almost half his moveset is already useless right off the bat, and Luma can prevent him from getting in, since the only ways are with Dash attack, Bair, Fair and (if he is lucky) Dair.
So sad :(

Last edited:

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Mega Man vs. Rosalina is Disgusting, imo :urg:. 8-2 MU tbh, maybe even 9-1. I got bodied HARD by a Rosalina player when i was playing against him. Rosalina's Down B is the bane (<- lol) of my existence when it comes to playing as Mega Man.
I'm going to quote something that was said about this before.

Honestly feel like the Megaman vs. Rosalina MU, is probably one of Mega Man's worst :ohwell:
Especially when almost half his moveset is already useless right off the bat, and Luma can prevent him from getting in, since the only ways are with Dash attack, Bair, Fair and (if he is lucky) Dair.
So sad :(
I'll second this. In theory, knocking Luma off the stage seems essential; you have to capitalize on that brief time by herself.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Probably :4palutena:

But I don´t play :4megaman: I only play puff
Reflector isn't the bane that people think it is, it is very easy to predict and bait a reflector. By doing so, you also leave Palutena with her melee moves which I don't think would be her strong points.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
Reflector isn't the bane that people think it is, it is very easy to predict and bait a reflector. By doing so, you also leave Palutena with her melee moves which I don't think would be her strong points.

Yeah, I know it´s easy to bait. But it isn´t the reflector that´s the problem. To be honest, I´m actually really good with puff. She has been my main ever since 64. 15 years it´s crazy!

But my friend has a SICK :4palutena:

Zori

Smash Champion
Well yesterday the houston scene has a little smash session and tre!la (avoiding name drop lol) the best lucario in brawls life span has been playing shulk for a while because he had the japanese version. I don't want to say too much because ill just wait for him to play people in tourney. I will say he out prioritizes almost everything we have and in the green mode we have little no options because he can go to the depths of the blast and come back with no repercussions its pretty devastating

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I'll second this. In theory, knocking Luma off the stage seems essential; you have to capitalize on that brief time by herself.
Yeah, I actually won ONE match by sending Luma off the stage. Basically after sending her off, its basically: Rack up damage and KO Rosalina before Luma comes back.

and i hate when Luma comes back >_>

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
The only fighter I've had trouble with was Falco but it's mostly because I don't know how to adapt to him outside of Crash Bomber punishes

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Neither Shiek or ZSS where as bad as I originally thought they would be when I played them today in a tournament. I only do poorly against character who negate my projectiles or match ups I am currently unfamiliar with. (Donkey Kong seems like a completely different character to me)

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Mario and Dr.Mario are giving me a bit of a pain right now. Thank god for Rush Canceling.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Any character that can get in your face by ignoring buster shots and any character that has a better projectile game with decent normals.
Samus, Sonic, C falcon, Bowser, Little mac

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
for anyone having trouble with rosa, megs side b explodes on contact with luma and you can keep him stun locked with constant side b. ofc rosa can gp it, but you can short hop approach with side b to keep luma busy or bait the gp then try and punish. Just a little something to make the mu a little better. I agree it is one of his worst mu's as i main both characters and see it from both sides.

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
I actually find Samus pretty easy. The typical Samus I've been playing has been spamming missiles though. Just slow approach canceling missiles with buster shots before she can get a charged shot ready. I feel like MM close range is superior to Samus'.

The only character I've had real troubles with really is Robin to be honest. A good Robin has just been out-zoning me every time. Between Arcfire and the weird length and hit boxes on his smashes I have a really hard time either playing an up close game or a projectile based game, not to mention his campy nature usually forces me to approach. It's really a frustrating matchup for me that I've yet to figure out.

Abortion Doc

Smash Cadet
Ness is a pretty awful matchup for Mega Man. He can PSI magnet your forward smash, side b, pellets, and also your upair I'm pretty sure. This leaves you very limited on the ground while Ness is a very aerially capable character capable of challenging Mega Man's solid aerials. I think your best bet against Ness is to try to get him offstage and Hard Knuckle his recovery. You can also bait his PSI Magnet and approach, as he experiences some lag while his PSI magnet converts an attack into health.

Palutena is especially irritating to fight. Her reflector on the ground stays out an obnoxiously long time, and her warp up-b makes edgeguarding and gimping her a challenge. Luckily Mega Man has her beat in the air, especially from below. Be sneaky with your projectiles in this matchup. Uncharged forward smashes only. Pepper her with one or two lemons here and there. If you're going to use Crash Bomb, try to stick her while she's in the air, same with metal blade. Basically you should try to limit your projectiles on the ground, a Reflect-happy Palutena will stuff everything you throw at her.

A good Rosalina can be tough. Luckily, gravity pull doesn't reflect and just ends in sort of a reset situation for both players. You'll have to be crafty with your projectiles and pick your spots. Rosalina is fairly edgeguardable though, so try to exploit that. Side B works great in this matchup since it explodes on contact with Luma, which can sometimes splash damage onto Rosalina. Forward smash can also get Luma out of your way.

I actually think the Little Mac matchup is fairly easy if you play a certain way. Mega Man has the tools to keep Mac off the ground and the aerial mobility and moveset to punish Little Mac in the air. Mega Man's grab speed and range also trumps Mac's significantly, so use your grab often as a punish. I would say grab is your most important offensive option in this matchup actually, as Little Mac's game relies heavily upon stage control and with a well-placed grab and throw you take that away from him and put him in a place where he is literally designed to be terrible. When you are in those close-quarters, grounded situations, be careful. Don't try to challenge his ftilt or fsmash. Do your best to wait for or force an opening and punish with a grab or downtilt. Follow up in the air! Don't let Mac get his feet planted again, punish his landing or try to predict his second jump and punish it with a well-placed back air. Catching Mac with bair out of his jump is likely to lead to a gimp if you are anywhere near the edge. Just absolutely haunt him in the air.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Let's try to keep this discussion to your experiences and not general matchup discussion.

Personally I prefer the air a lot of my troubles just come from unfamiliarity of characters (kid bowser and duck hunt), but campy villagers keep me at long range where I feel like giving up.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I don't get all the Rosa hate... Crash bomb from mid range. If she downB's it, you get a punish. If not, it hits Luma and blows up, hurting her.

I mean she's a good char, but Mega should be able to lock her down with midrange play.

I haven't played any char that I thought "wow this is a horrible matchup" yet. Mario is probably closest for me.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Just ran 5-6 matches against a good Villager and had some trouble with him. He won the spacing battle with a nice combo of rockets, slingshots, and dash attacks. Wasn't pretty.

EDIT: Ran some more games against Villager, and had some success. Use the lemons. All the lemons.

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I feel Rosalina and Palutena will be his worst matchups overall, but Palutena isn't all that strong herself so I feel it's winnable. Maybe 7-8:4palutena:: 3-2:4megaman:. Rosalina's only a real bother if she spams gravity well imo, overall her options are a short range (except for fair) lose out to yours. I'd consider it also probably around 7-7.5:rosalina:: 3-2.5:4megaman: once people figure it out. Really though if you're able to catch Luma out and get rid of it the matchup becomes much more bearable imo. Mario is also a really horrid matchup, probably as bad as Palutena, though I feel Dr. Mario could be worse due to his higher priority.

Overall though in spite of Mega Man's relative weakness I feel he has some very good matchups against good characters. I feel vs D3, Bowser and Shulk he can do very well, Shulk especially because in Smash or Buster forms Down Throw->Up Air is horrifying. In buster he takes a clean 30+% from just that and in Smash he can be killed as low as 70% by the final push. Shield Stance also isn't very good since it gives Mega Man some disgusting comboing potentia, seriously I got a clean 40+% every time I got in on my friend's Shulk in shield mode.

Shiek and ZSS also seem a little bad for Mega Man, but not as bad as it is for some characters. I feel that Power Suit Samus, Gunner Miis, and Duck Hunt could also strugle against Mega Man since the buster negates many projectiles, and the leaf shield really clears up anything once thrown.

Last edited:

NawtKool

Smash Rookie
When I decided to dedicate some time to maining megaman, I figured my toughest matchups would be with ones who could reflect my projectiles. I was actually wrong. I'm not very good, but just basing off my online experiences:
:4link::4rob: are irritating to go up against. :4link: has the potential to outzone you and has his shield that'll block projectiles if positioned properly. There was actually a small range in which I could properly attack him, in which I was barely far enough to be hit by his jab and close enough that he didn't have time to use a projectile. Of course, the ending lag on the buster usually meant he was able to punish me. Made it really difficult to approach him. If :4link: wasn't so easily to gimp, I would have never won a match against the guy. (went around 2-8 against him).
As others have pointed out, :4rob:'s top and laser is deadly. Completely outzoned me.

But by far my worst experience was against :4sonic:. Too fast for me to hit, too quick for me to react to, and him bouncing and moving everywhere left me confused as to how to even begin to attack. Two stocked me taking only 30% damage.

EvergreenChameleon

Smash Rookie
I actually haven't had much trouble with Ness, who I find easy to kill at low percentages due to the ease with which Megaman can interrupt his recovery off stage. Rosa's the really irritating one for me.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Rosa's the really irritating one for me.
This, right here. Rosa is definitely one of Mega's biggest obstacles, particularly when the luma's around. Lucario can be another problem when his aura is strengthened. Aura Spheres will completely overpower any of Mega's projectiles, so you're pressured to fight close up, which can be very lethal. And Sonic moves too fast for me to properly utilize my moves.

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
I agree with the feeling on Rosalina and Lucario, both are becoming a pain right now.

Mega Man builds damage can rack up damage on character quick but when Lucario's Aura is powered up along with the Rage Effect the match up becomes a real pain. Rosalina is just annoying to fight as the Blue Bomber, Luma saves her a ton from grabs and KO set ups.

uncaDon

Smash Cadet
You really have to be able to finish off Lucario quickly and surgically once he's at kill %, otherwise when he's all SSJ screen length force palms and huge aura spheres force you to clumsily air camp or do dumb approaches. It's pretty depressing. Worse on Omega stages than on platformed stages though, but then, what isn't.

Last edited:

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
So I finally got some sets in with a good villager player. I just can't figure out that MU. He out spaces me, is able to deal with all of my projectiles, and when I am able to approach, throws out moves that out prioritize all of my options. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I've played this guy on multiple occasions, and can't get a single game against this villager. The thing that gets me most is probably the way he covers his recovery. I can't edge guard him. I'll probably post a replay in the video thread after work today.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
How exactly is he out-spacing you? MM has more range on nearly every move than Villager, the one main exception being his fair/bair. But those require a decent amount of telegraphing before they're dangerous.
Crash bomb trades with both gyroid and tree and insta-explodes in his face, USUALLY hitting him, in my experience. Metal Blade is a great projectile because it kills gyroids and goes thru trees, and if he pockets it... who cares? he has to pull it out then throw it separately, which takes a while for a...not great item, honestly.

If he's above you, usmash beats all of his aerials and covers the air-dodge, so that's great.

As for edgeguarding... yeah you're just not going to gimp him. But hey, take the free damage (because it's not too hard to HIT him out of his B recovery moves, even if you don't get a kill from it), and look for a dair opportunity (the one way you actually can gimp him...kinda)

For me, the 2 hardest matchups I find in For Glory are Ness and Samus.

I don't think Samus is too bad, but she tends to win the long range game, which I just hate. lol

Ness seems difficult. I think this will level out when I can gimp him better (a little hard with the lag), but his kit is pretty good against us. I think it's a relatively even match, though, all said.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I find fighting Little Mac to be easy, when I was fighting one guy online I managed to 3-0 him. Not counting for fun matches. And I did pretty well against a level 9 Little Mac in a stock match. Sheik and Ganon weren't too bad either. Granted, I'm not all that good anyway.

I personally find Dr. Mario to be my toughest match. Mario is a bit of a struggle, since the cape is so fast. But Doc has that and extra power to boot. Though hitting him with one good shot while he's going for a Shoryuken can work.

Palutena can be a bit annoying. But I find staying close to her the best option. I would use a lot of Grab and Leaf Shield set-ups. You could also bait out her reflector. Since her's is slow and only covers her front, but it does last a while.

Again, I'm not all that good, but I'm looking to get better, just because I like Mega Man's playstyle that much. I think I need to block more and rely less on the charge shot, I keep wanting to get KOs early. It's a habit I'm trying to beat. Heheh.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
The 2 characters I've had the most trouble with has been Fox and Rosalina.

The Fox is mostly because of MU experience on my part.

Rosalina tho.

Luma is just super dumb to deal with.

All I do is focus on KOing Luma as fast as possible and then going in on Rosalina, but the whole MU is just tedious and likes to drag itself out.

Oh. Also little mac. But only little macs that dont want to respect my mid-game options. It's not a bad matchup persay, but its just annoying to come across a little mac that just spams **** and i get clipped all the time because wifi.

Top Bottom