• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Have you been holding down the buttons to perform the blizzard while you are spot dodging?

You can always perform a dash dance blizzard if you want to get out an even quicker blizzard

run forwards, turn backwards, turn again, and press Down+B. Nana will do a blizzard, but you won't.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Just want to understand how some players manage to desynch the climbers so quickly, so if anyone could let me know how Fly Amanita manages to desynch at 1:45 and 5:35. The latter looks to be a really fast DD desynch, but I can't really be sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9m57KaCDqA

Also, as a side note, are there any specific uses for the ICs Up-B OoS desynch? The only thing I can really manage to use it for is grabbing the edge with Nana, but I don't truly know if that is the most efficient or the best way to edge-hog with both climbers.

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
first, props for rockin the best IC skin..
Angel and Demon Climbers are the best.

From Left to Right:
Ice Climbers
Pickle Popo and Banana Nana
Portal Climbers / Popsicle Climbers
Angel and Demon Climbers

Just want to understand how some players manage to desynch the climbers so quickly, so if anyone could let me know how Fly Amanita manages to desynch at 1:45 and 5:35. The latter looks to be a really fast DD desynch, but I can't really be sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9m57KaCDqA

Also, as a side note, are there any specific uses for the ICs Up-B OoS desynch? The only thing I can really manage to use it for is grabbing the edge with Nana, but I don't truly know if that is the most efficient or the best way to edge-hog with both climbers.
First one is a Dash Dance Desync.
Second one is the same thing.

Basically you dash one direction, then dash the other and hit down-b. It's fairly easy to do and it's probably the fastest desync Icies have.

As for the Up+B OoS desync, lots of stuff is possible, but the main use is like a mini Nanapult Blizzard. Just Up+B OoS and Down-B. If you're frame perfect you can Up+B OoS buffered WD into JC Grab. It's really hard though, and SleepyK could only get it down half the time he tired.

Other fun Icies Tech:
Basic Desyncs: (Lots of stuff like the Dash Dance Desync is covered here)
Double vision:

Also this TAS video is to awesome not to add:
http://youtu.be/kodUZIw9RNw?t=38s

Last edited:

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Howdy. Been lurking for a while and decided I might as well just create an account. Right now I'm wondering how to get Nana only to blizzard. I mean like, you can do the spot dodge and then blizzard, but I must be doing it too slow or something because it takes a while (shield, then do the spot dodge, then blizzard) and at that point it's not worth it.

In this video (can't link, it's "EVO 2014 SSBM SMF Pools - Fly Amanita vs Chillin") at around 6:04 Fly does the blizzard with seemingly no lag. What is he doing here?
I think that was literally just a spotdodge desync into Blizzard setup. Like, can't see much different to what is done with the normal spotdodge desync.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Also, after watching Wobbles at Forte 2 and seeing him use nair, is SHFFL'd Nair a good move for neutral? Seems to have a fairly decent hitbox on it and it looks like it could be useful idk

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Also, after watching Wobbles at Forte 2 and seeing him use nair, is SHFFL'd Nair a good move for neutral? Seems to have a fairly decent hitbox on it and it looks like it could be useful idk
SHFFL Nairs are okay for some match ups, but not all since the hitbox isn't as disjointed as Icies' other hitboxes. I suggest doing it OoS as Sopo if you get in a pressured situation or just use it as a combo string.

Last edited:

Samwisely

Smash Apprentice
There's a few different ways to make Nana blizzard with different desyncs. The spotdodge one should be plenty fast, as you don't need to shield before spotdodging. There's also a missed-grab desync, where you input a grab, and then input blizzard before the grab is done. Another basic one is a roll desync, where you roll and input a blizzard while rolling. I didn't watch the video, but I'm assuming this starts to answer your question. If it's not one of these, it's probably more complicated than you need at this point.

If you're interested in more IC stuff, I would suggest reading Fly's IC guide. It's stickied in the forum.

Edit: I answered before seeing that there were more replies, all answering the question better than I did. Ignore this.

Last edited:

BluntMaster

Smash Rookie

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Nair is an amazing combo move. I learned to love it from watching a lot of wobbles and trail.
I have super wobbles-esque ICs though.

I don't use it a whole lot in neutral against most characters, but it's a really fun move to play around with.
Against characters coming off a platform, who's moves start from above and come down (ganon's fair, peach fair, marth fair, sheik fair, etc.) I like to challenge it with a rising nair (facing backwards so it's angled up).
It's pretty situational, but it's really cool since it will usually knock them down on a platform, which is a really bad position.

I also tend to go pretty deep with offstage edgeguards, a little more than I should, but nair is great for that.

It's also a great combo move out of a throw.

On occasion I will approach with SHFFL nair, because it's awesome, but learning how/when to use it is kinda difficult.
But I am a fan of it.

Got to play against DJ Nintendo + The Moon in doubles this past weekend at nebulous. We weren't on stream, but my buddy was nice enough to record the matches for us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJSSsJ_exvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLniGCMoQFc

I would love to hear some critiques/advice on the peach/IC team.

Here are some of our older videos too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE_TQ6lbxlE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDC0S83n13c
Oh I love ICs/Peach. I'll watch/critique later.

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
Nair is an amazing combo move. I learned to love it from watching a lot of wobbles and trail.
I have super wobbles-esque ICs though.

I don't use it a whole lot in neutral against most characters, but it's a really fun move to play around with.
Against characters coming off a platform, who's moves start from above and come down (ganon's fair, peach fair, marth fair, sheik fair, etc.) I like to challenge it with a rising nair (facing backwards so it's angled up).
It's pretty situational, but it's really cool since it will usually knock them down on a platform, which is a really bad position.

I also tend to go pretty deep with offstage edgeguards, a little more than I should, but nair is great for that.

It's also a great combo move out of a throw.

On occasion I will approach with SHFFL nair, because it's awesome, but learning how/when to use it is kinda difficult.
But I am a fan of it.

Oh I love ICs/Peach. I'll watch/critique later.
I tend to use SHFFL nair as a "poor-man's fair" when I'm trying to close the gap between me and my opponent after a laggy move or the like. Plus down throw to nair against floaty characters is generally my go-to follow up. It's very safe if you're quick about it at lower percents, I use it a lot when I play against my practice partner's Peach.

Smog

Smash Journeyman
So I have been working on my L-cancelling lately because I want to be able to do it without thinking. The problem I have been having is when I hit someone with a f-air the timing seems a lot different and almost random (This is also true for all the other aerials). I know it isn't random I just cannot do it consistently. I realize the only way to get better is with practice, but are there any tips you have and would like to share?

Oh, and also, I've been making ice climbers costumes with melee toolkit and was wondering what you think would look cool. (Keep it reasonable please)
I made Popo completely black and Nana completely white for one skin. It looks sick, but can be hard to see Popo
I also made Popo red and Nana green for christmas colors.

Last edited:

BluntMaster

Smash Rookie
So I have been working on my L-cancelling lately because I want to be able to do it without thinking. The problem I have been having is when I hit someone with a f-air the timing seems a lot different and almost random (This is also true for all the other aerials). I know it isn't random I just cannot do it consistently. I realize the only way to get better is with practice, but are there any tips you have and would like to share?

Oh, and also, I've been making ice climbers costumes with melee toolkit and was wondering what you think would look cool. (Keep it reasonable please)
I made Popo completely black and Nana completely white for one skin. It looks sick, but can be hard to see Popo
Only advice I can give for l-canceling is to keep practicing. S2J gave some pretty cool advice for practicing the varying timing of hitting l-cancels:
http://smashboards.com/threads/my-t...rs-3-level-1-ice-climbers-teams-v-1-0.325971/

As for the skins, I personally would love to see Kush Climbers (in the vein of 420 fox) but I'm not sure how reasonable that is :p

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have any frame Data on ICs ledgedash? I've heard that a perfect Ledgedash gives us 9 frames of invincibility, which is nice to know. But looking at

L-canceling Fair is kind of tricky because a SH Fair doesn't really need to be FF (although some people still advise it). I would highly advise learning light-press to L-cancel as it is an all around good habit to establish. Some people even advise double tapping for the L cancel, and that very well may help against a shielding opponent where a single press may miss/be too early.

As for alts, is it possible to change the hammer color? You could alter that to gray and have a completely black and white climbers :D

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have any frame Data on ICs ledgedash? I've heard that a perfect Ledgedash gives us 9 frames of invincibility, which is nice to know. But looking at

L-canceling Fair is kind of tricky because a SH Fair doesn't really need to be FF (although some people still advise it). I would highly advise learning light-press to L-cancel as it is an all around good habit to establish. Some people even advise double tapping for the L cancel, and that very well may help against a shielding opponent where a single press may miss/be too early.

As for alts, is it possible to change the hammer color? You could alter that to gray and have a completely black and white climbers :D
Thanks

Yes you can change every aspect of them. I think I did what you are talking about. Popo looks like a black silhouette and Nana looks like a white silhouette.
Were you saying make the hammers gray? Because it can be hard to see popo sometimes :\

R.I.P.

Smash Cadet
There's a few different ways to make Nana blizzard with different desyncs. The spotdodge one should be plenty fast, as you don't need to shield before spotdodging. There's also a missed-grab desync, where you input a grab, and then input blizzard before the grab is done. Another basic one is a roll desync, where you roll and input a blizzard while rolling. I didn't watch the video, but I'm assuming this starts to answer your question. If it's not one of these, it's probably more complicated than you need at this point.

If you're interested in more IC stuff, I would suggest reading Fly's IC guide. It's stickied in the forum.

Edit: I answered before seeing that there were more replies, all answering the question better than I did. Ignore this.
This is what I'm confused about. How can you spot dodge without the need for shielding first? In the video I mentioned Fly's shield does not show up at all, but when I spot dodge it's there for quite a while (comparatively speaking).

Samwisely

Smash Apprentice
This is what I'm confused about. How can you spot dodge without the need for shielding first? In the video I mentioned Fly's shield does not show up at all, but when I spot dodge it's there for quite a while (comparatively speaking).
Hit the inputs at the same time and then let go. You don't need to hold shield for a while before doing the rest of the buttons.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Does anyone have any frame Data on ICs ledgedash? I've heard that a perfect Ledgedash gives us 9 frames of invincibility
ICs have irritatingly low ledge invincibility.
I, personally, am focusing on ledgedashing less because it's really easy to become over-reliant on and as ICS its easily punished since they are only really invincible in the beginning.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Really wish that ICs colours weren't kinda trash in Melee and that we had some of the Brawl skins...

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
You can also hold C-stick down with the trigger button for a guaranteed frame perfect spot-dodge

ICs have irritatingly low ledge invincibility.
I, personally, am focusing on ledgedashing less because it's really easy to become over-reliant on and as ICS its easily punished since they are only really invincible in the beginning.
I now realize that I didn't really complete my post xD So have you been trying roll or regular get-up more?

Thanks

Yes you can change every aspect of them. I think I did what you are talking about. Popo looks like a black silhouette and Nana looks like a white silhouette.
Were you saying make the hammers gray? Because it can be hard to see popo sometimes :\
In retrospect maybe light gray hammers and darker grey Popo since all black might stink on Battlefield and FD =[

lokt

Smash Cadet
So I picked up IC's a few weeks ago and I have some questions:
1. In this video how do you do the "landing desynch"?
2. What percents should you have nana ftilt/blizzard when you get a grab?(I don't wobble)
3. When doing the dair regrab can you do the dair moving forward or does it have to be in place? I always see IC players doing the sh dair in place but I'm more consistent at doing the dair moving forwards.

Last edited:

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
So I picked up IC's a few weeks ago and I have some questions:
1. In this video how do you do the "landing desynch"?
2. What percents should you have nana ftilt/blizzard when you get a grab?(I don't wobble)
3. When doing the dair regrab can you do the dair moving forward or does it have to be in place? I always see IC players doing the sh dair in place but I'm more consistent at doing the dair moving forwards.
1. you have to buffer the ice block/move during the landing lag of popo (but the frame window is super tight)
2. lol just wobble. it's such a useful tool, why wouldn't you???
3. during the dthrow animation, just use the stick to move nana whilst she's mid jump.

lokt

Smash Cadet
1. you have to buffer the ice block/move during the landing lag of popo (but the frame window is super tight)
2. lol just wobble. it's such a useful tool, why wouldn't you???
3. during the dthrow animation, just use the stick to move nana whilst she's mid jump.
Thanks for the reply :O
I don't wobble because I want to style since my ic's is a secondary.

For my last question I meant why do most ic's players do the dair in place? I usually do it moving forward and it works fine but was wondering why wobbles/fly do it in place.(maybe it's harder to sdi it that way?)

Last edited:

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the reply :O
I don't wobble because I want to style since my ic's is a secondary.

For my last question I meant why do most ic's players do the dair in place? I usually do it moving forward and it works fine but was wondering why wobbles/fly do it in place.(maybe it's harder to sdi it that way?)
lol tbh i would not advise having icies as a secondary, considering the amount of time you need to put in to make sure you know what you're doing in the neutral. and whenever they do it in place, i'm pretty sure it's because they're doing it on characters who are floatier to make it harder to di away so they can regrab them easier

lokt

Smash Cadet
lol tbh i would not advise having icies as a secondary, considering the amount of time you need to put in to make sure you know what you're doing in the neutral. and whenever they do it in place, i'm pretty sure it's because they're doing it on characters who are floatier to make it harder to di away so they can regrab them easier
I have fun messing around with IC's since their desynchs and combos are so interesting so there's that. I feel like I have a decent understanding of the neutral with IC's but I'll probably post some matches here for critique in a few weeks.

R.I.P.

Smash Cadet
Okay this is a slightly bizarre problem I'm having. I recently bought my own copy of the game (spent the semester practicing on my roommate's) and I can do the wobble just fine. I've been to tournaments and can wobble at those, too. But on mine I feel like the timing is just not right. The best way to explain it is like when you have your blinkers on and the car in front of you has their's on too and for a while they are perfectly in sync but then after a few seconds they completely diverge. My disc is the NTSC-02 and I'm playing on a homebrewed Wii. It's an old RCT with no noticeable lag.

What could be going on?

Absolome

Smash Cadet
you should practice getting it right with the tv muted though sometimes! It'll help for if you're in a set with a crowd and you can't hear the tv

Absolome

Smash Cadet
How do you guys usually do your autocanceled upairs? I have been practicing doing it by tilting the stick up and hitting y and then a as fast as I can, but in a real match I'm extremely inconsistent with that method. Instead for the last two days I've been practicing doing it by tap jumping and then flicking up on the c stick a few frames later, sort of the same motion for an upsmash OoS but you delay the flicks a tiny bit so the short hop comes out. That method is way more consistent for me but feels like it has to have some downsides.

Are there better ways to do this?

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
I can do AC uairs pretty consistently using A and Y. I have practiced it a lot, though. It's hard because you can accidentally do a double jump if you press the control stick up too much, but I think it's the best way to do it. I find it really hard to AC uairs using Y/X + c-stick because it's hard to hit up on the c-stick fast enough. And short hopping with the control stick just doesn't work for me.

So I think you should use A + Y/X.

Also, I'm going to BEAST V later this week. Hype.

Last edited:

Binx

Smash Master
I use the c-stick because I like to have full control of DI. I'm still not the most consistent on the planet with it I've been considering switching to a claw since it makes some other things easier as well.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I do both methods. I generally prefer using the C-stick method since I find it easier, though. Binx's reasoning is also a factor for me, although his terminology is wrong (aerial drift =/= DI).

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Back to the secondary ICs thing, I think you can definitely secondary ICs, particularly if youre just looking to them for fun.
Thats just something that us weirdos who play "alternative" characters like to say to feel better about how much time we put in.
They do take a bit of focus, but theyre fun to mess with.

Anyway, for AC uair I use tap jump or Y and Cstick.
I like cstick better for aerials in general, but i find AC stuff a million times easier with it.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
i'm so unbelievably sad i had to cancel my beast trip ;-; rip
Arh, sad to hear this. :/ I'll try to represent the character as well as I can then (y)

Also, now that I'm here. I've high lighted some stuff from some of my previous sets. Some of it is pretty ordinary, but yeah. The glide desync ones are pretty cool I think, showing the potential of the desync.

http://youtu.be/LgKiSl2UZz8?t=1s (dash dance to grab wobbling set up)
http://youtu.be/LgKiSl2UZz8?t=33s (dash dance desync to d-smash combo)
http://youtu.be/LgKiSl2UZz8?t=2m22s (glide desync to blizzard to f-smash)
http://youtu.be/LgKiSl2UZz8?t=2m53s (dash dance to grab to reset to wobbling)

http://youtu.be/LgKiSl2UZz8?t=9m26s (glide desync to blizzard to wobbling)
http://youtu.be/LgKiSl2UZz8?t=9m50s (dash attack to jab wobbling set up)

http://youtu.be/sxUj_LbdU8U?t=15m17s (Me nearly JV5'ing Rocky in LFs (still lost the set, hah))

http://youtu.be/vF8P5gk3ZYg?t=1m53s (hand off to wobbling at 0%)
http://youtu.be/vF8P5gk3ZYg?t=5m4s (glide desync to blizzard + ice shot gimmicks)
http://youtu.be/vF8P5gk3ZYg?t=6m5s (Sopo pivot f-smash for KO)

http://youtu.be/JtkYSzdDTD8?t=12m18s (uair uair dair grab wobbling set up)
http://youtu.be/JtkYSzdDTD8?t=12m57s (waveland on platform to wobbling)

Last edited:

Binx

Smash Master
Auto cancel uair is afap uair with no fast fall that puts out the aerial and ends with normal landing lag

Last edited:
Top Bottom