• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Laijin

Smash Hero
Shield camping doesn't really work against Young Link at all. Young Link is capable of regrabbing the bomb off your shield and throwing it right back at you, making it impossible for you to sit in your shield all day. Most characters outside of Marth and a couple of others can't really punish it.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
seems kinda like ganon, and by that i mean that grab punishes and avoiding hits are super important and will win you the match.
and if you dont get grabs bye bye. obviously nothing else from that matchup is relevant. also i think nana blizzard would be super important against bombs(even tho wobbles screwed it up by wding right into it.
seems pretty difficult and most yl players could probably fall prey to a high-tier secondary

xKobayashi

Smash Apprentice
so i went to a tourney and got timed about by a sheik twice (i 3 stocked him on pk stadium) who was literally only camping the top platform

what do i do!?!?????

xKobayashi

Smash Apprentice
he jumped or ran off the platform and baired then wavelanded back onto the platform, trust me i tried to up air hahaha
the sheik was rickety, and if that name means nothing to you then lets just say he doesn't camp because he is bad, he is good AND he is good at camping. Honestly there was not a single mental mistake on his part for 8 minutes.......

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
hitting with the top of the triangle of fair through the bottom of plats is more effective against floaties. it really sets you up well for follow ups.
unless you are referring to just spamming shffled fair under the plat to try and catch them dropping and knock them to the ground for a tech chase.be careful where you place your uairs because it is a pretty big commitment to full hop with ics, ever.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
he jumped or ran off the platform and baired then wavelanded back onto the platform, trust me i tried to up air hahaha
the sheik was rickety, and if that name means nothing to you then lets just say he doesn't camp because he is bad, he is good AND he is good at camping. Honestly there was not a single mental mistake on his part for 8 minutes.......
If you know how he reacts to you trying to poke him, then you need to pretend to poke him and then instead have a plan for how to deal with his response to it. It sounds like in this case you can Uair slightly more out of range to safely bait him into doing his run off Bair thing, and then intercept him as he goes for the waveland back on the platform.

voorhese

Smash Master
Played IC's last night in one of my tourney sets =)
I had to play kels like 3rd round of bracket, and 1st game against falco was really close (last stock and I almost gimped him w/ fox) so when I counter picked stages he went sheik, and I went ic's it went to last stock as well. I got a tech chase -> handoff on a platform on him =) feelsgoodman.jpg

xKobayashi

Smash Apprentice
k thanks for the advice, i probably should have tried to bait him a little more, but the ic's full jump is just so obvious haha

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
What should I practice to learn this character at a tournament level? I'm coming from Brawl, with little Melee practice. I can't play my Wii atm, so next best thing is Melee, plus we have a scene in my region that I want to know more about. Tips anyone?

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
MOVEMENT. cant stress this enough. if you can do a wd, try walking, dashin, jumping, attacking, crouching directly after the wd. seriously you cant practice this enough with this char.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah movement is really great

desynching, resynching, learning why and how you can do both is very key. it makes playing both characters feel very natural and makes it easier to improvise when you need to

and also MAX PUNISHMENT. all the options of killing or comboing somebody off a grab, or other kinds of random hits.

like for example, they run into your short hop bair, wave dash jab reset if they miss the tech... then grab... so cheap :)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Spacing is just as important as movement. Once you can move where you want to when you want to you have to try to understand the optimal range to be at in various matchups. Against Falcon it's nice to be just barely outside of no-momentum-SH-aerial-range. That way you can intercept running short hops and punish whiffed aerials in place. Basically you have to think in this sort of manner.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah you're right, but i think for a beginner practicing the movement part until it becomes second nature should come before learning how to space. it helps to know all the potential options in a situation

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yea that's true, Chok. Movement is actually pretty tricky now that I think about it. Even after maining ICs for over 3 years, I still don't have very good movement. :(

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah. the crazy thing is that mango punishes movement. so difficult lol

he knee'd my wavedash back when i last played him >___________> so freaking scary. i just gotta be really on point and also devoid of patterns when i play him. because he is so aggressive, but also experimental, it is possible to hit him with random things. scariest player ever, because he foresees and punishes movement.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
sure everyone reads movement to a degree, but likely not as frequently as he does. that's the only reason he's able to get those punishes. he has great downloading skills

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
the ****in way she goes..... #freeiceclimbers
my city/area just released a PR based on 2 tourneys, and i didnt even place on it because of bad brackets.
tourney this saturday and im gonna get ICs on the board

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
oh oops haha yeah i read falco

falcon is really tough

sometimes i think i'm good

but then sometimes i just get whooped.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
don't mean to double post but let's revive the thread since it took such a long time to reup smashboards hehe...

man, i got SO close to beating westballz yesterday. last stock, last hit, 100+%... overall i'm happy with how i did in my pool. it could've gone either way.

bracket is another story though. i lost to bizzarro flame and hyprid. hopefully i can figure out ways to beat them next time

Vanitas

Smash Ace
How do most of you deal with platform camping foxes? It's really annoying how they have almost any kind of opportunity to strike as we can't punish his aerials as well...Should you just wait it out?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
try to poke from underneath with uair, but sparingly... sometimes foxes will try to bait your uair and try to bair your jump from the side. watch when and how they jump from platform to platform, but try not to board the platforms yourself

Binx

Smash Master
So guys I've been working and had very little time to play but I also had the fortunate turn to move a little closer to one of my friends who plays smash hes probably 3rd or 4th best player in my state and pretty near my skill level, I'm having a lot of trouble hitting him with the dsmashes I used to get, but forward smashes are doing WORK!

So I come here to ask my fellow ICs when do you like Fsmash over Dsmash? I was playing primarily vs falco and Forward smash let me hit him at certain spacings vs his spaced bairs, through lasers, and let me get some pretty good edgeguards in at spacings he didn't expect on PS and Yoshi's when it curved downwards. If nothing else he just wasn't used to the spacing and it allowed me to throw the move out when I knew he would be expecting dsmash and just trying to bait me at barely unsafe ranges of attack.

Also I love dash attack but it feels so risky, when do you guys fine safe ways to use it? or do you think you always have to hard read a jump to connect with them, are there times you would rather punish with a dash attack over a grab?

Also thanks for the advice before when I've posted vids, I think im doing a good job of not going for unsafe shield grabs as often as I used to and im mixing more aerials into my game which I really like. Why don't we use fair more its so beast for platform chases and to cover some options like Fox nairs from max distance.

I know this was kind of rambly and kind of all over the place but Im itching for some discussion, if there is one thing my absense from this game has taught me its that its the best game ever and I love it as much as I ever did.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
fsmash and dash attack are both attacks that i kinda commit to offensively. i find it hard to do em on reaction. i just do 'em when i 'feel' they will hit, like street fighter footsies.

there are times though when i can do em on reaction, like when a falcon or fox is obviously jumping towards me and i know my fsmash will counter hit them. or when falco is doing a laser at a bad range and i can dash attack through it or wd fsmash through it.

fsmash is good because of its range and hitbox. it's a diagonal line that goes in a 45 degree angle from directly above ic's heads, to a point in front of them.

dsmash is good because of its speed. it's a good attack to punish lag, and its low hitbox is good for edgeguarding.

Top Bottom