• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Garchomp banned to Ubers

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Hey, did you guys know that with solid rock and Max HP/Def a Rhyperior can take a +2 Garchomp Earthquake then OHKO it with Dragon Rush without any Attack EV's >.> Im just saying, if your that worried about Garchomp, its not THAT hard to find something that can counter it....

Rhyperior@Wide Lens
Impish/Solid Rock
252Hp/252Def/4Atk
-Dragon Rush
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Megahorn

Look, something that works extremely well as a physical tank and comes with the bonus of beating the ever threatening Yache Chomp, a worth addition to any team.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Yeah now we can all carry Rhyperior on our teams!

I was actually kind of against the idea Chomp banning for awhile. I've grown so used to him and I hate to see another poke removed from OU. But in my last match before he was banned the opposing player switched in Garchomp on my Blissey. I stayed in and Ice beamed so I could revenge kill him but Ice beam missed due to sand veil. So when I sent in my next pokemon to HP ice him it was stopped my Yache berry. :(

He's just too good and too easy to abuse. Maybe now we'll start seeing the tons of pokemon dropped ,no dumped, into UU in these last months start coming back.

D

Deleted member

Well the Rhyperior thing is sort of like "Well, if your so afraid of steal rocks, carry a spinner." Well, if your so afraid of Garchomp, carry a counter.
People everywhere wish Garchomp had a counter.

Several Pokemon in OU have no counters.

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
If Dragon Rush hits, which it certainly never will in the Sand.

Garchomp is a very powerful Pokémon, but the idea of a counter is really horribly obsolete in Pokémon. Playing "counter this" is putting yourself a turn behind, and even stall teams avoid counters that can't set up something.

Colin's argument is actually a really good one, IMO.

Now back to Smashing...

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
Technically that Rhyperior can come in on just about any Garchomp(save the extraordinarily rare Chain Chomp) take any move it has and OHKO it with Dragon Rush. Even a +2 Earthquake fails to OHKO >_>
Yeah.

But dragon rush had too actaully hit Garchomp in the first place.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Although everyone has already pointed out that dragon rush can miss. Doesn't it have 90 accuracy before sandstorm? I did the damage calcs and a +2 Garchomp does Damage: 395 - 465
Damage: 91.01% - 107.14% to Impish Rhyperior. So if Rhyperior has taken even the slightest amount of damage beforehand he will be OHKO'd. And even if he has not taken any damage he still has a high chance of being OHKO'd. So no, Rhyperior is not a Garchomp counter.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I need people to use more Glaceon and/or Weavile, or good water Pokemon. :p

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Although everyone has already pointed out that dragon rush can miss. Doesn't it have 90 accuracy before sandstorm? I did the damage calcs and a +2 Garchomp does Damage: 395 - 465
Damage: 91.01% - 107.14% to Impish Rhyperior. So if Rhyperior has taken even the slightest amount of damage beforehand he will be OHKO'd. And even if he has not taken any damage he still has a high chance of being OHKO'd. So no, Rhyperior is not a Garchomp counter.
Did you calculate in Solid Rock? If you used Metal Kid, even if you hit "Activate Ability" it doesn't count Solid Rock, which lowers the damage of super effective movees by 1/4.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Did you calculate in Solid Rock? If you used Metal Kid, even if you hit "Activate Ability" it doesn't count Solid Rock, which lowers the damage of super effective movees by 1/4.
I wasn't aware of that but what is 1/4th of 107%? (rhetorical question). Even if he survives the point still stands that your "counter" cannot gaurante the kill on Garchomp. I checked the accuracy of Dragon Rush and it's 75% before sand veil is factored in! Recall that my "100% accurate" ice beam failed my attempts to revenge kill. I don't see how you can call a pokemon that sacrifices nearly all of it's HP and might,or rather will likely, still fail to KO Garchomp a counter.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Restalk Cresselia with Ice Beam (or Psychic) and Psycho Shift works as a Garchomp counter. At least, for me it does. Solid Rock changes 2x super effective into 1.3x super effective and 4x super effective into 2.6x super effective. Has anyone tried using Cloyster with Ice Shard to counter Garchomp?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Sorry for the double post, but I decided to test Cloyster myself. Max Atk Impish Cloyster does 61.45%-73.74% damage with Ice Shard to a 4HP Garchomp. A Yachechomp takes 30.73%-36.87% damage. This is almost an exact 50% chance for a 2hko. A choice banded +nature Cloyster is guaranteed the ohko on a 4HP Garchomp without a Yache Berry. Life Orb'd Cloyster doesn't pack enough punch to guarantee the KO; the odds are in Garchomp's favor for surviving.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm glad Garchomp was banned to ubers, I hate battling it. Everyone on Wi-Fi uses it, along with other uber legendary's on their teams! Not to mention at tournaments everyone uses it! I don't hate Garchomp, I just hate battling it and the fact people use ubers all the time for an easy win.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Bump much?
umm......no.

If you haven't checked the 07 award thread (which gimpy dominated :p) then you would know that a bump from over 30 days is considered unnecessary (it's some new feature on the Vbulletin board). So he's really not doing anything wrong.

-:bowser:Bowser King

sonofthesky

Smash Journeyman
umm......no.

If you haven't checked the 07 award thread (which gimpy dominated :p) then you would know that a bump from over 30 days is considered unnecessary (it's some new feature on the Vbulletin board). So he's really not doing anything wrong.

-:bowser:Bowser King
Well, ****.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I think it's 75-ish.

EDIT: Wait, does this Rhyperior have Wide Lens?

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
I think Garchomp should be in OU.

Come on, you guys had to be a bunch of babies and go BAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW so he/she was banned.

F**king babies...

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
First off, Smogon doesn't put a Pokemon in Ubers because they think it'd be viable in Ubers. It's because it needs to be banned in OU. Wobbufett was banned in 3rd gen and on because of Shadow tag + leftovers to make Wobbufett dittos unendable. Same for Wynaut. Yache Berry Chomp has no real OU counter so you'll more likely than not waste two Pokes just to take it down.

UU and OU are based on usage. BL pokes are banned from UU and Ubers are banned from OU.

You can still use Ubers if you wanted.

..But I don't play 4th gen.

Top Bottom