• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Garchomp banned to Ubers

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Yes. It's true. Smogon, the "smashboards of pokemon," has officially banned Garchomp to Ubers. It is no longer allowed during normal competitive battles unless you agree to play with all pokes or you come to some special agreement beforehand.

Essentially, Garchomp proved to be too good. He was, by far, the most used pokemon over the last year. His ability gave him the chance to "hax" you by randomly dodging attacks. He got Swords Dance to boost his attack to insane levels and had, by far, the best attack type coverage in the game. With Yache Berry, he could laugh in the face of a "counter," stat-up and call it a day.

I don't know much about the pokemon players here, but will the folks here play with Garchomp still? Or will you agree not to use him in normal battles? Or do the SWF pokefans just play with Ubers anyways?

ss118

Smash Master
I was actually one of the many whom had the priviledge to vote Garchomp uber. I was actually the very first one to vote. So yeah, you know I'm happy. XD

Was Blissey the first? I can't tell.

Also, since this makes Flygon OU, to the Counter Game!
wow your really behind on the times. Flygon sucks in general and even though they have the same typing, it can't be used as an adequate replacement. Over time, I really expect it to move down into UU so it will get SOME use. Unless the BL metagame developes.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Wobuffet was the first iirc. Flygon will stay BL, but feel free to avoid using him in the Counter Game :D So... how will Garchomp handle other ubers? It is rather slow for an uber sweeper.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
What have you people done?!

First Wobba, now Chomp. This madness has to end.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
The funny thing is that I was breeding jolly gibles with 31 iv's in 3 stats and now have two boxes of them... ):

zrky

Smash Lol'd
If I played competitively, i might train one because it's cool and in case of a small chance of OU tournament.
Other than that yhea Id still use it, i don't have one now so why use it anyway

I hat wobuffet being OU:(

D

Deleted member

I use flygon...

This is all Lee Harris's fault. **** you Lee Harris! **** you!

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Banning Garchomp (or Wobbuffet or Deoxys-S) is disturbingly analogous to banning Meta Knight. And disturbingly enough M3D supported at least two of those. The scrubby arguments are almost completely parallel ("let's test Garchomp by banning it" versus "let's test meta knight by holding tournaments without him"). I can also see it applying to the ice climbers ("it always takes out at least one pokemon -- it's just not fair!!" versus "you lose a whole stock from a grab -- it's just not fair!!"). In both cases the people behind the scrub opinion prefer values such as "fun" to actual competitive principles.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pokemon community (which is mostly scrubs by now) moves onto banning Stealth Rock next, which is analogous to banning chaingrabs in terms of the arguments ("they shut down a variety of characters!").

We won't be banning Garchomp on the Official Server on Shoddy Battle, so that option is still available for non-scrubs. (And of course you can set your own rules for local/wifi play.)

Luckily the smash community is a lot more dencentralised than the pokemon community (with each individual tournament host setting his own rules) so there is no body capable of sending the game down a scrubby path.

D

Deleted member

Banning Garchomp (or Wobbuffet or Deoxys-S) is disturbingly analogous to banning Meta Knight. And disturbingly enough M3D supported at least two of those. The scrubby arguments are almost completely parallel ("let's test Garchomp by banning it" versus "let's test meta knight by holding tournaments without him"). I can also see it applying to the ice climbers ("it always takes out at least one pokemon -- it's just not fair!!" versus "you lose a whole stock from a grab -- it's just not fair!!"). In both cases the people behind the scrub opinion prefer values such as "fun" to actual competitive principles.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pokemon community (which is mostly scrubs by now) moves onto banning Stealth Rock next, which is analogous to banning chaingrabs in terms of the arguments ("they shut down a variety of characters!").

We won't be banning Garchomp on the Official Server on Shoddy Battle, so that option is still available for non-scrubs. (And of course you can set your own rules for local/wifi play.)

Luckily the smash community is a lot more dencentralised than the pokemon community (with each individual tournament host setting his own rules) so there is no body capable of sending the game down a scrubby path.
wow spiteful mother****er aren't you

we're not banning MK, stop making bad comparisons

if you came here to ***** take your stinky *** elsewhere. turdlets not needed, bye lol

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
This makes me happy.

...Will Garchomp enter some kind of weird tier where he's too good for OU, but not good enough for Uber?

And Colin makes me lol.

ss118

Smash Master
Garchomp's not bad in ubers: in fact, with Groudon support, it can tear the **** out of everything. I've been playing with it all day using a Groudon/ Tyarnitar on the team and I must say it's usage won't die so easily.

I wouldn't call you examples bad, Colin, but what makes me lol is that you think your right.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
Wow JesiahTEG and Articanus posting back to back in the PC. I wish I'd been around in the glory days to witness more of this. Anywho yeah I agree Garchomp is banned, and it's good. I'm laughing Colin thinks Smogon made a mistake about this, and well he basically called Smogon scrubs, so yeah ROLFMAO!!!!!!

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I have been calling 'Chomp "The Metaknight of D/P" for a while...good riddance. x_x

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Sorry to break the mood. I'll leave it to you guys from here.

(p.s. the smashboards filter greatly obstructed the meaning of Mia's post.)

sonofthesky

Smash Journeyman
Colin. Now you have no power. You cannot ban me.

You cannot unban me for that incident.

So.

Q1: How do you feel about your server being rejected?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is so awesome.

I think I'll get back into the game since this has occured.

Hmmm, I need to make a new team now. ^_____^

drcossack

Smash Ace
This is stupid.

Chomp is NOT THAT BAD. I've fought many teams with a Chomp on them and I've killed more than 50% of those Chomps. On the same token, I've won a lot of matches with my Chomp (as well as my other Pokémon), but y'know what? I won't bring Chomp out until my opponent is down to 1 or 2 Pokémon.

Jolly Weavile with CB and Ice Punch OHKO's Chomp, Yache or not.

Stupid n00b ******* who cry because they can't beat something, so they have to ban it...

Australia, puttin' shrimp on the barbie, mate!
This is stupid.

Chomp is NOT THAT BAD. I've fought many teams with a Chomp on them and I've killed more than 50% of those Chomps. On the same token, I've won a lot of matches with my Chomp (as well as my other Pokémon), but y'know what? I won't bring Chomp out until my opponent is down to 1 or 2 Pokémon.

Stupid n00b ******* who cry because they can't beat something, so they have to ban it...
And now you try fighting one with Sand Veil and Brightpowder.

A_man13

Smash Master
I really see both sides to the argument (seeing as I trained a Garchomp for a really long time playing Diamond).

Garchomp is by far one of the most usefull pokes in the game. Chomp has an amazing attack, speed, and can also play a farely good Defensive game. Not only that, but it gains acces to Earthquake, Outrage, Sword Dance, Stone edge, a bunch of support moves, etc. There is a lot it can do and unless you are facing a rather competent player, Garchomp should have the upper hand.

On the other end of the debate, Garchomp stands as much of a chance as any other poke. It has elemental weaknesses (which are countered by dragon rush/outrage, fire fang, and stone edge), but more often than not garchomp will usually hit first unless faced by a more speed minded foe. In my opinion, every single poke can be beat by almost everyone; it just takes a good strategy and training to do it.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
The only thing that could counter YacheChomp was a CB Weavile, if I'm not mistaken. It's kinda like Wobbufett; the only thing that counter the little monster was Spiritomb (Sableye is unusable, I don't count him).

Also, Sand Veil Gliscors don't/can't bend entire teams over the toilet and skull-**** them.

IC3R

Smash Lord
How about a scenario?

some guy switched in Weavile (Weavile Lv 100 m)
HyperDragoon (Garchomp Lv 100 m) used Outrage! Weavile lost 100% of its health!
IC3R wins!
IC3R: gg
some guy: *****
some guy left the room.
IC3R: >>;
IC3R left the room.
Chomp is Scarfed, BTW...

Where is the OHKO with Ice Punch, again?

Anyway, nice to see you around, Colin. Who knows? Maybe the unbanned Garchomp will be enough to draw folks back to Official ;)

That above is not a real match quote, it's just a theoretical scenario...

D

Deleted member

Garchomp is by far one of the most usefull pokes in the game. Chomp has an amazing attack, speed, and can also play a farely good Defensive game. Not only that, but it gains acces to Earthquake, Outrage, Sword Dance, Stone edge, a bunch of support moves, etc. There is a lot it can do and unless you are facing a rather competent player, Garchomp should have the upper hand.
Actually, a reason many people wanted it banned was that it eliminated player skill, which I guess holds a pretty solid point. On the basis that few Pokemon can handle chomp at all before SD, many players simply wait till mid game, get chomp in with SD, and proceed to take their free win. It definitely holds some merit. Hell, if anything, I've seen people bring multiple ice weak pokes simply to kill off weavile/mamoswine early just to make garchomp that much more unbeatable. I have also seen Garchomp on hail teams to give him 3 extra ice resists to hide behind on switches. Hail also benefits Garchomp immensely (lowers turns needed to KO, eliminates sash, even for SS pokes).

I don't think Garchomp should have been banned, people just need to attack it with something other than ice. But their points definitely make sense and hold weight. It's a hard argument.

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
Truth be told, I'm not surprised in the slightest that Garchomp got the Uber tier. He's just too strong. It's like with Wobby, where he's basically made it possible to take out a single Pokemon by himself. Even with EVs and all that, no other pokemon can ALWAYS make sure that your opponent goes down one Poke and Garchomp did just that.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
To me it's more of Sand Veil. A TON of matches came down to Chomp vs Chomp, and then it's up to luck. It really sucks.

A_man13

Smash Master
@Umberion: That is true. I've had matches where Garchomp was the only one doing the fighting; one sword dance and then Outrage for OHKO's and EQ and Fire fang to back it up. My garchomp was infamous for being able to take down several opponents rapidly; sword dance around walls and brute force for everything else. Almost every person who faced it would either rely on a dragon type move and get sweeped or sneek in an ice type move (which was usally either detected early and delt with or came from a ground type like Hippowdon or Tyranitar). I can't say that this is a good call or bad call since I am really far away from the pokemon scene right now, so I have no idea how garchomp has evolved since last time I checked. All I know is that he is a forced to be reconed with, but even then a steady wall or using suprrise tactics can be enough to hold it down.

Top Bottom