• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf's Custom Moves

DJ Dong

Smash Cadet
It's very doubtful that we'll be allowed to customize stats. It's utterly mundane considering everyone would rather have speed of attacks boosted. Custom moves seem likely at this point, after watching streams.

Personally I'm not seeing anything useful in the side and downspecial. The warlock punc may be best in the faster version if it does retain super armor. The first and second upspecials might be good but we'll see.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
I'm personally fond of:
1 - Sword Warlock. Armor to counter some slow moves + Good range to keep a safe distance. Excels at FFAs.
2 - Regular or Power Flame Choke. The first one is good for its range, but the second one's KO power and positioning is awesome and needed.
3 - Diagonal Dive seems usable against some projectile users. For FFAs, the Powered version seems better.
4 - Non-grab Up B seems strong. Makes people respect his recovery a bit more. Double dive seems good to use it as an actual battlefield attack. Shorter initial distance makes it less punishable.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
let's be real, he's probably mid tier at best. with most projectiles being nerfed across the board, it looks like we'll have a much easier time in this game.

MajorNyberg

Smash Rookie
The thing that bothers me here is why did not Nintendo make some of his more unique custom attacks his originals instead, and putting his falcon clone ones as customizables instead, for the peoples that liked playing as the old Falcondorf?

I really don't understand game developers sometimes..

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
The thing that bothers me here is why did not Nintendo make some of his more unique custom attacks his originals instead, and putting his falcon clone ones as customizables instead, for the peoples that liked playing as the old Falcondorf?

I really don't understand game developers sometimes..
Because then he wouldn't have 2 customizable variations per B move, they would just be different moves, which would be weird, and people who like the new ganondorf would be sad they don't have 2 customizable variations per B move, and the ones who like falcondorf would be sad they don't have 2 customizable variations per B move

MajorNyberg

Smash Rookie
Because then he wouldn't have 2 customizable variations per B move, they would just be different moves, which would be weird, and people who like the new ganondorf would be sad they don't have 2 customizable variations per B move, and the ones who like falcondorf would be sad they don't have 2 customizable variations per B move
Why wouldn't there be two customizable moves? They are still the same variations, just in different places ----> Orgianl B to Custom Falcon B or Custom other B.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
One custom move I think he's required to have is his forward special properties from Melee which was pretty much Falcon's, I could see that having decent combo potential with Smash 4's physics.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, at least they mixed magic and sword into his customs, maybe Ganondorf will be decent here. At the very least, although he's still Ganondorf, his standard moveset is faster so he's no longer bottom tier, and Ganondorf is much better overall than in Brawl.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
He's looking good, especially in the custom moves. He might still suffer from the same problems he had previously, but these moves give him a bit more speed, which is wonderful.

Big_Slim

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-4076-0803
Someone please post a video of shotgun punch. I will love you forever.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
Supposedly in-game text for Ganon's Defaults/Customs:

Warlock Punch Channel dark energy into a devastating punch. Difficult to interrupt.
Warlock Blade Draw a sword and thrust it forward. The blade's tip deals the most damage.
Warlock Thrust A faster, explosive Warlock Punch. Make sure your fist hits home for max damage.

Flame Choke Rush forward to grab an enemy. Grabbed enemies will be thrown straight down.
Flame Wave Dash forward to grab an enemy and blast them into the air into other enemies.
Flame Chain Dash forward and strike enemies repeatedly rather than grab them.

Dark Dive Jump up and grab an enemy, and then shock and launch them.
Dark Fists Punch opponents into the air, and then hit them in midair to send them higher.
Dark Vault Jump extra high, but you can only grab at the beginning or end of the attack.

Wizard's Foot A magic kick that flies straight when on the ground and diagonally down when airborne.
Wizard's Dropkick Jump low into the air before doing the flying kick.
Wizard's Assault A faster flying kick that goes through foes. In the air, the kick goes straight down.

source: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=c2xywrva

so...ganon has a wave dash, huh?

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Just for the sake of politically correctness, let me provide the actual names of some of his customs based on the footage provided by Ninja Link.

His second Neutral B is called Demon Sword (間陣剣).
His third Neutral B, "Warlock Shotgun", is called Demon Fist (まじんけん).
Both of this moves are pronounced Majin Ken in japanese, but ken can mean fist or sword depending on the kanji. They may end up being called Warlock Sword and Warlock Fist in the localization.

His second Side B is called Flame Prison Wave (炎獄波, えんごくは)

His third Up B is called Leaping Lightning Palm (跳躍雷神しょう) or something like that. His regular Up B is called Lightning Palm in japanese, so this would be called Jumping Dark Dive maybe? In the video above, Ganny makes a double jump after using it.

His third Down B is called Raid Kick (急襲脚、きゅうしゅうきゃく).

That's all I got for now. Kanji can be a pain to read sometimes but this are the translations of the names; they'll probably differ in the English version as I mentioned before.

Edit: Oh great, I got Greninja'd.

Last edited:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
After playing Hyrule Warriors, I'm wondering if Ganondorf's exploding warlock punch is a nod to his YYYY X Combo attack.

It's probably not... but still.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
Ganon's viability for 1x1 just increased for me after NinjaLink's video.
The extra mobility,range and priority give him a bit of what he needs to help mask his weaknesses

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Ganon's viability for 1x1 just increased for me after NinjaLink's video.
The extra mobility,range and priority give him a bit of what he needs to help mask his weaknesses
I believe this thread basically sums up what we're seeing in this instance. Custom moves really were a brilliant idea that help to better balance the game and give characters more options to deal with their bad MUs that don't require picking Meta Knight.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
After playing Hyrule Warriors, I'm wondering if Ganondorf's exploding warlock punch is a nod to his YYYY X Combo attack.

It's probably not... but still.
I know his Charge move is based on his drop-fist move in Ocarina of Time and his Focus Meter? finisher or whatever where he uses both fist to do a hammer-drop is probably based on that too.

I don't know where that move comes from, but it might reference Dead Man's Volley which is another charge attack finisher for Ganondorf except it launches one energy ball instead of multiple ones. When Ganondorf summons the giant ball of energy, it reminds me of Goku's Spirit Ball. Maybe it's another reference to that as well considering Ganondorf's luscious, glorious, and magnificent mane that resembles Super Saiyan 3's hair, but considering Ganondorf's bulky, he's probably more of a Legendary Super Saiyan 3 like Broly's non-canon transformation in one of the games.

Last edited:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Wow some of his moves look that will be useful

Loved the shotgun punch!!!

The UpB with a exploding wav at the beggining looks very sueful

His best warlock kick seems to be the Blue one. This one in combination with his electric UpB will help him recover from long distances, which is one of ganons weakness.

His electric up B goes HIGH!!! man he can recover from the bottom part of final destination.

His nongrabby darck choke seems pretty bad, it cannot even go thru a mario fireball.

His dark choke which sends flying looks badass but i dont know if it will more useful than the default one, since that one sets up peeps by slamming them to the floor.

Looks promising!! What you think guys?

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
I know his Charge move is based on his drop-fist move in Ocarina of Time and his Focus Meter? finisher or whatever where he uses both fist to do a hammer-drop is probably based on that too.

I don't know where that move comes from, but it might reference Dead Man's Volley which is another charge attack finisher for Ganondorf except it launches one energy ball instead of multiple ones. When Ganondorf summons the giant ball of energy, it reminds me of Goku's Spirit Ball. Maybe it's another reference to that as well considering Ganondorf's luscious, glorious, and magnificent mane that resembles Super Saiyan 3's hair, but considering Ganondorf's bulky, he's probably more of a Legendardy Super Saiyan 3 like Broly's non-canon transformation in one of the games.
..How did I not see?

Ganondorf = Broly.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I got to say, Ganon's Custom moves look great. I'm liking the Sword Stab and Uppercut. I might keep his normal command grab though. That seems to be the best one. And I'm liking the Blue Dive Kick alot, though I'm not sure what else to call it until I see it's official name.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ganondorf is the only character that I will issue multiple pre-set specials. Most of them seem fairly helpful depending on what build you intend to make. I will probably have a pure recovery Ganon, a pure damage Ganon, a default Ganon, a set 2 Ganon, a set 3 Ganon, and an amalgamation of my favorite moves Ganon.

I watched all of NinjaLink's videos on custom moves and Ganondorf is the character that I am most impressed with. In the case of most other characters, it is immediately apparent that a certain custom will assert its dominance within their move-set; however, with Ganon, that is not as apparent. Most of them have their uses!

cptnOlimar

Smash Rookie
Do you guys think the Neutral Special 2 (the sword) or the Neutral Special 3 (faster punch) is better? I can't decide they both look great.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Do you guys think the Neutral Special 2 (the sword) or the Neutral Special 3 (faster punch) is better? I can't decide they both look great.
I'm having a hard time seeing a use for the fast punch. It doesn't have armor, and you can get more damage with a smash attack at a similar speed. The sword lets him do something new (spacing games).

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
The sword is definitely better. Super armour, long range and it even kills. It's a brilliantly good move.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
Blue wizkick is THE answer. Tested it. Can be used to jump over fireballs. Has low ground recovery. Can be used as combo starter. Excellent tool to help ganon get back to stage. Can crossup, becoming safer.
Couldn't find any use to Shotgun Punch

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Blue wizkick is THE answer. Tested it. Can be used to jump over fireballs. Has low ground recovery. Can be used as combo starter. Excellent tool to help ganon get back to stage. Can crossup, becoming safer.
Couldn't find any use to Shotgun Punch
Man I was SO happy to see how awesome blue Wizkick was when I first used it. So much utility.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I finally got all of the custom moves I wanted for Ganon this morning. Playing around with them, I'm definitely happy with the way he turned out in this game. It would be a travesty if tournaments don't allow custom movesets in them, if only because this is some of the most fun I've had with Ganon ever.

I personally go straight 2s, with the exception of keeping the default Flame Choke. Dark Fists hits ridiculously hard and actually has super armor on it, blue wizkick is just amazing for everything and has almost no cool down, and the sword is just...the sword. That range is really useful to have and it's still reasonably powerful. Definitely a contender for my main right here.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The game says Dark Vault (Up B custom 3) goes higher... it did seem like NinjaLink
could recover from quite low with it.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
it goes, but you might get more benefits from the Armored one because of its combination of strength, armor and speed. Blue wiz helps enough with recovery. Trust me.

Top Bottom