• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
In my honest opinion, at least keep the Flame Choke attack. With that and his speed from Melee, it opens a lot of possibilities for combos; however, :ganondorf: the slower Ganondorf felt more natural to me. Last time I played Melee, :ganondorfmelee: He did feel more like an evil Captain Falcon.

But what I DON'T want is him to be replaced by someone else. He's a fun character to play as, especially when using his Footstomp of Doom (D-Air - Meteor Smash).

As for the sword... meh, not interested. Save something like that for Ghirahim. That way, he'd be a great training dummy for me to abuse. (My apologies to all Ghirahim supporters, he's too weird for me. Also, please don't hate me for liking him in Brawl; for some reason, he's my second most used character. 0.0 Odd. Must be because you tier listers hate him.)

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
I agree with liking the feel of Ganon in Brawl, but he was bad :p Hopefully they can find a way to keep the powerhouse feel without him being one of the worst characters :/
(Bowser seems to be doing just fine so far....)

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I should also mention one last thing: I've been playing Melee since I was at least five. At the time, I would have had NO idea about what L-Cancelling is or what it does. To me, it was all about how much fun I was having, because I didn't really care about who was the best character.:foxmelee::metaknight: ...or the worst character.:pichumelee::ganondorf:/:jigglypuff:

To this day, even though I am now aware of competitive Smash, I still enjoy playing as everyone, including Pichu. Please Understand.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Oh man, I'm so nervous about Ganondorf's reveal. Lucina has made me even more anxious, but does anyone really think she counts towards the possibility that he might be kept generally the same plus a few tweaks? I'm honestly of the camp that would've waited for him to get in if it meant he didn't have to be a clone! Just think what he could've been in Brawl! Now we're able to see ALL the work the development team has put into the newcomers/custom moves, and so how can we NOT expect an original Ganondorf?

Falcondorf is just awful guyz... I mean ****, it would've been much better for him to be a Zelda clone honestly! That ship has sailed unfortunately, and the moment of truth is upon us. If he doesn't get changed now, will he ever? I would easily give up one of my most wanted newcomers if it meant I could get Ganondorf with an original moveset. In a heartbeat. :) Maybe keep Flame Choke and dair though, as they seem to fit well with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I'm ready for Ganondorf's reveal, I can't wait to see him, he's the one character I wanted to see since the first reveal trailer at E3 2013.

I guess we'll find out what moves he has to offer this time.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I think people expecting Ganondorf to get a completely new Moveset are setting themselves up for disappointment. I can see them changing one of his Special moves and that's it. That said he will be buffed.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Strider, I totally get it. I've played Ganon for years and years now, even in brawl. :p Even if he's still bad I'm still going to play him :)

If we don't hope for a major overhaul now, then when will we? :/

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
As much as I hate to say it, Ganondorf is very likely to come back as a clone like he always was. I think it's purely to satisfy the 7 people out there who would hate to see Ganondorf change from being how he always was, even if the original moveset concept for him--the slow, powerful Captain Falcon clone--was still in the game as an F-Zero character.

However, I have a theory. I don't have a source, or proof of this, but it's a theory: Sakurai actually doesn't like that he ended up making Ganondorf a Captain Falcon clone. He was added in Melee purely for star power, like the other big names in the game. I doubt he failed to see any potential in Ganondorf as his own unique character, but at the same time I think he felt that him being in the game at all would be good, even as a clone. However, I think he vastly regretted this line of thinking and changed his mind on that because now every other awesome, big-name character added in Brawl was given special treatment, with wildly creative movesets. Look at Ike and Meta Knight--if I felt lazy, both of them could've been Marth clones. Look at Wario--Sakurai was originally gonna put him in Melee as a Mario clone but thought he deserved better (this I DO have proof on, look in this thread for it, and find the two that say "Famitsu Sakurai Interview from 2002" or something like that), so he kept him out of Melee and made him the lovable weirdo he is in Brawl. In Smash 4, Mega Man could've been a Samus clone. Both have charge beams and arm cannons right? That's all you need, and it's more similarity than Ganondorf and Captain Falcon, who simply share a body structure.

But no, in those games Sakurai went out of his way to give all these characters a proper moveset. He knew they had tons of potential to be unique, and we love them all now far more than we would have if all these big-name characters were relegated to clone status when it didn't make much sense, much less represent how they fought in their games.

But with Ganondorf, he faced a problem: should he give him a proper moveset, to satisfy Zelda fans who want to play or fight against a proper opponent--or should he keep Ganondorf the same so as to satisfy his players in the previous game? Cutting him was out of the question--he was hugely popular, and since he was sadly cutting Mewtwo then people would be up in arms that not one but TWO big names were cut. So, despite millions more clamoring for the first choice (even some of his Melee players, despite loving the character's moveset, felt that he should be changed), he went with the second choice, perhaps because of principle that anyone getting a huge revamp in moveset would upset fans of that character, proper representation be damned.

This makes me bittersweet--if we assume this is true, then it means something like a huge, major character like Ganondorf won't ever be relegated to simple clone status again, especially if it makes little sense, so we don't ever have to worry about that ever happening again. However, it also means that Ganondorf will never change to suit his games because his Melee fans will be upset.

All in all, if this theory(!) is true, then Ganondorf being a clone will always be a sad certainty, but at the very least, all this points to, say, Ridley never becoming a Charizard clone, so his fans have that to keep in mind.

But yeah, I still say go with the Black Shadow / Ganondorf solution, where Sakurai would give his old moveset to Black Shadow and give a new one to Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf is one of my mains in brawl, but I've wanted this moveset change for years now. I don't think that he will be a clone this time around just because of the fact that sakurai isn't afraid to add new things this time around, like zerosuit and sheik with separating them, and also with olimar having only 3 pikmin, I know those are minor changes but I think that will influence big changes for ganondorf.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Ganondorf is one of my mains in brawl, but I've wanted this moveset change for years now. I don't think that he will be a clone this time around just because of the fact that sakurai isn't afraid to add new things this time around, like zerosuit and sheik with separating them, and also with olimar having only 3 pikmin, I know those are minor changes but I think that will influence big changes for ganondorf.
Believe me, I want you to be right and for me to be proven wrong as much as anyone else in this thread. I'm hopeful, but skeptical too.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I feel Ganondorf way slowly become his own character. In Brawl, several moves were changed to make him less clone-ish. I feel in this game, he will keep his altered moves from Brawl and more of his moves will be unique to him. Slowly but surely, he will become his own thing in future games.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I feel Ganondorf way slowly become his own character. In Brawl, several moves were changed to make him less clone-ish. I feel in this game, he will keep his altered moves from Brawl and more of his moves will be unique to him. Slowly but surely, he will become his own thing in future games.
Hopefully, man.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Ever since I saw what Mr. Sakurai did with Bowser's animations and moves, I felt Ganondorf would too receive multiple changes.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Ever since I saw what Mr. Sakurai did with Bowser's animations and moves, I felt Ganondorf would too receive multiple changes.
We can only hope. Specifically I'm hoping for a balance of new mobility and old tricks. Ganon had plenty of awesome AT's and advantages in brawl, he was just much, much too slow in general to compete with most other characters. Another plus would be some sort of low-knockback ground move to help connect combos and keep the opponent close for a little longer, or, perhaps a stun move. Grab with range of brawl jab? Sigh. Conjecture always leads to Christmas-listing.

TeamFlareZakk

I think people expecting Ganondorf to get a completely new Moveset are setting themselves up for disappointment. I can see them changing one of his Special moves and that's it. That said he will be buffed.
Then at least have that move be his neutral b, I'm sick of Warlock Punch, its no wonder he's being called a clone of Captain Falcon, he needs projectile so at least give him the dead mans volley orb as his neutral b.

Other than that he isn't too bad if you think of it.

His down b can pass as the thing he does in OoT if you use it as a aerial attack, maybe change the neutral ground animation of it, I'm thinking of making it look like M. Bison's Psycho Crusher, then it'll at least look different from Falcon Kick.

As for up b, I think they should get rid of the grabbing the other guy and shocking them thing, in Brawl if your not close enough, he uppercuts his opponent in mid air, work with something like that.

Of all A attacks just get rid of the up A volcano kick, I hate that move.

I think Ganondorf's grapple could use some improvement, it was better in Melee, in Brawl I can't do that thing where I use up grab then stomp my opponent in the ground with that meteor down smash repetitively just to torture my opponent a little, ah the beautiful sounds of them screaming beneath my Ganon boot.

The one move in Brawl I like is A left/right, the kick thing, I like spamming that when I have my opponent cornered to either just kick them off the stage or just kick them repetitively against a wall.

Up smash is good, I like kicking my opponents lights out as they go flying off the stage, especially after a kicking assault.

Aerial Punch in face, Captain Falcon does a knee attack, besides its punch in face, how can you not like that.

Neutral a thunderpunch is a move that comes in handy, I say keep this.

His neutral down a wasn't too bad either, it was a useful move for smaller opponents and it also helped with one of my favorite combos, flame choke and kicking.

I still think he should at least have a few sword attacks, not a whole move set on the sword, but there are a few moves that should be replaced by a sword move he actually uses.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
C'mon, AgatioGanon! Volcano Kick can be fun! Ganondorf's up special could be a phantom horse, too.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Hopefully Ganondorf gets some Bowser tier shield damage, making shields pop like bubbles beneath his mighty boots.

Ness McLoud

Smash Rookie
GANANDORF is the friggen man. I used to be a fox, falco kinda guy, and Ganon showed me the light. no better feeling than that Down smash spike. the only move every smasher can feel. lol "how do the soles of my boots taste?"- What Ganandorf should say after every connection.

- the 6 ain't friendly

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
It's strange that, in Melee, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon would flip after using the down aerial. This flip would happen three or two seconds after the down aerial. Anyway, if the down special is changed to something new for SSB4, I wonder what it would be, and how would it effect Ganondorf's play style.

TeamFlareZakk

It's strange that, in Melee, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon would flip after using the down aerial. This flip would happen three or two seconds after the down aerial. Anyway, if the down special is changed to something new for SSB4, I wonder what it would be, and how would it effect Ganondorf's play style.
This flip allowed Ganon to cheat and use his double jump again.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
OK. I thought that only worked with the down special. Do you wish we could use OoT Ganondorf for SSB4?

TeamFlareZakk

OK. I thought that only worked with the down special. Do you wish we could use OoT Ganondorf for SSB4?
Actually yeah, I'd like him to appear as he did in the final battle with that long hair, and oh he look looks really good with a nice clean shave, besides OoT is the original Ganondorf, make the TP appearance a costume.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Actually yeah, I'd like him to appear as he did in the final battle with that long hair, and oh he look looks really good with a nice clean shave, besides OoT is the original Ganondorf, make the TP appearance a costume.
I completely forgot that ganondorf had long hair at the end of Oot, why didn't they choose that design for melee? I hope they choose it for ssb4, that would be bad@$$.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
The model of SSBM Ganondorf is a strange mixture. It came from the Space World demo of the GameCube. But the model displayed a long cape and short hair, which was never shown canonically. During OoT, Ganondorf either has short hair with a short cape, or long hair with a long red cape. Though I too wanted to see Ganondorf with long hair, and still slightly do, short hair is less typical for antagonistic magic users. Think of all the wizards and warlocks you know who have short hair like Ganondorf.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
How does everyone feel about Ganondorf's dash animation in Brawl? Will Mr. Sakurai change it for SSB4?

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
My brother and I were playing Ganondorf mirror matches in Brawl a few nights ago and we were both in agreement he is perhaps the most fun character to play as. Replacing any of his moves with a dinky sword of his in the new games is possibly the most disappointing thing that could happen, bar not being in the game at all. In the case of Brawl, when I play as Ganondorf, I don't think about how (non)similar he is to Captain Falcon, I'm too busy laughing my balls off doing Sparta Kicks and Electric Stomps.

Of course I'm not opposed if he were to receive some minor changes, be it from replacing a standard move or two to modifying an existing special (such as removing the grab hitbox from his primary recovery). I definitely wouldn't be one to complain if he were to be identical to his Brawl incarnation, but as he stands, Ganondorf is far from as conspicuous as some claim him to be.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Hmm. If Mr. Sakurai does change Ganondorf's moves, but only some of them, which moves do you think or most hope would be changed? Only think of standard attacks. That is 13 attacks to choose from, if ledge attacks and lying attacks are ignored. I shall choose six attacks:
-down smash
-forward smash(Ganondorf elbows in a TLoZ game, but this smash still resembles Captain Falcon's smash)
-up aerial (I like it, but we know it does not particularly fit Ganondorf)
-back aerial
-down tilt
-dash attack

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Hmm. If Mr. Sakurai does change Ganondorf's moves, but only some of them, which moves do you think or most hope would be changed? Only think of standard attacks. That is 13 attacks to choose from, if ledge attacks and lying attacks are ignored. I shall choose six attacks:
-down smash
-forward smash(Ganondorf elbows in a TLoZ game, but this smash still resembles Captain Falcon's smash)
-up aerial (I like it, but we know it does not particularly fit Ganondorf)
-back aerial
-down tilt
-dash attack
Can't I say all?

I don't have a problem with Ganondorf's style of play, just the fact that he is just a clone of Captain Falcon. It's a little sad.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
:smirk:I don't mind. They're both manly men, and Ganon can't use too much dark magic or his opponents will have no chance of winning :smirk:

If they gave us project M Ganon and replaced his neutral b with a slow moving projectile, is be ecstatic.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
@ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous I also hope all of, or most, of Ganondorf's moves are changed. I created a list so users could display the moves they most wanted to change. Do you have any ideas for Ganondorf's moves?
@ Electric Tuba Electric Tuba Perhaps a new moveset from Mr. Sakurai shall display how Ganondorf's magic is used in the TLoZ games. In TP and OoT, characters emphasize how the magic is vile or evil. That could be an intense, never-before-seen kind of special move. I shall create something based on this someday.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Like I said, I think the powerful beast that he is (pun intended) is fine for his playstyle. I just think that they could diversify his moveset from Falcon and give him Dead Man's Volley, shockwaves, etc. I don't even care about a sword or a trident. I'd like to see some more magical attacks by him and just different moves than just "Dark Falcon ____"

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if they considered taking out Ganondorf in lieu of Ganon (using the correct names like I never do :p ), with the trident, maybe some bats here and there..

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I would not be too surprised if Mr. Sakurai jokingly gave that Ganon a pig-like attack. Like a tilt where Ganon snorts to create a large gust. I am still considering that for the moveset I am creating for Ganon.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
The fact that he doesn't use his sword, and that it only appears during his taunt, is an insult to Ganon fans. Hopefully he can pull it out in battle and be half of a swordsman and half of an up close melee fighter. That'll make him more unique.

Last edited:

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
The fact that he doesn't use his sword, and that it only appears during his taunt, is an insult to Ganon fans. Hopefully he can pull it out in battle and be half of a swordsman and half of an up close melee fighter. That'll make him more unique.
I don't feel very insulted. There are more than enough swordsmen in this game already, anyways, even if he's only part sword fighter :p
Marth, Roy, Ike, Meta Knight, Link, Young/Toon Link, Robin, Lucina, one of the Mii Fighters...

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
I don't feel very insulted. There are more than enough swordsmen in this game already, anyways, even if he's only part sword fighter :p
Marth, Roy, Ike, Meta Knight, Link, Young/Toon Link, Robin, Lucina, one of the Mii Fighters...
What if he is still a Captain Falcon clone?

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
What if he is still a Captain Falcon clone?
I've said this repeatedly in this thread, so sorry for anyone who's been here a while, but Project M Ganon feels excellent both in style and in playability. His neutral b needs to go, since it's just a useless Falcon Punch, but I'm fine with everything else (especially flame choke). Maybe down b could be changed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom