• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Increase his running speed, make his recovery better, either bring back L-canceling or reduce his landing lag on aerials, and for crying out loud please increase his grab range and knockback/grab box for Dark Dive; his OoS options in Brawl are non-existent.

BSP

Smash Legend
When you get hit by Ganon, it should be so painful that you reconsider going back in for round 2.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ganondorf really needs a moveset change after his Brawl mishap. Give him a sword or something, or at least anything that would make him completely different from Captain Falcon.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Make his offense really good with a mid attack speed. His weakness should be his size and how easy it is to juggle him, probably some jumping height issues.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Sakurai probably has a lot of freedom with how Ganondorf will be designed, since he'll probably be getting a new design, SINCE he hasn't had a recent appearance. Whether he's athletic as in Melee or OLD as in Brawl, may entirely be up to Sakurai.

Really curious how that's going to turn out. I'd prefer he was more like his Brawl self though. Still expect him to be rather CLONEY.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Sakurai probably has a lot of freedom with how Ganondorf will be designed, since he'll probably be getting a new design, SINCE he hasn't had a recent appearance. Whether he's athletic as in Melee or OLD as in Brawl, may entirely be up to Sakurai.

Really curious how that's going to turn out. I'd prefer he was more like his Brawl self though. Still expect him to be rather CLONEY.
I too am interested to see his design. The way he's depicted in OoT/Melee is probably the most prominent, with the TP/Brawl design being the most recent to draw from. Who knows, maybe Demise could even have a factor in how he looks.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Unless he has a sheath, it would be impossible for Ganondorf to grab items without ditching one of his blades. After all, Ganondorf can't make a bow out of his swords.
Are you going to tell Ganondorf what he can and can't do.

He'll just stab a crate to pick it up. Stab a Pokeball to ooze out the Pokemon inside. Many problems can be solved by stabbing. It's funny how you always get caught up on such trivial issues.

ANYWAY, I really don't expect much change in Ganondorf in the big picture. He gave his reason for keeping him a clone, and I assume that hasn't changed. I mean, Ganondorf didn't even borrow Falcon's animations in Brawl. From the ground up, Sakurai made Ganondorf into what he was, using as much time and resources as it would take for any original character.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Are you going to tell Ganondorf what he can and can't do.

He'll just stab a crate to pick it up. Stab a Pokeball to ooze out the Pokemon inside. Many problems can be solved by stabbing. It's funny how you always get caught up on such trivial issues.
^ This post wins.

I'm not expecting any major changes (if any at all) to Ganondorf. They had a chance to completely separate him from being a Falcon clone, and instead, we got a Luigification. I mean, Falco is less of a Fox clone than Ganondorf is a Falcon clone, which was a bit of a let-down in my opinion. Combine that with the fact that in their attempt to try to differentiate him from Falcon they made it so that Ganondorf actually benefited from being a Falcon clone, and you have what is arguably one of the biggest falls from grace in the Smash Bros. series.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Why dont they make him like he is in Ocarina of time. Seeing as how Link and Zelda's moveset are based off of OoT anyway. Give him energy balls to shoot andthe ability to hover XD. I dunno If I could handle that big a change as I really love how Ganon plays in brawl and I mostly play as him. Hes the only guy whose meteor smash hits so hard that even if theres water below the person hit will still go off screen.
Why so many people support how he played in Melee? He was just an exact captain falcon clone. Now hes got some of the most brutal aerial attacks and theres no delay on the input of his jumps.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ganondorf has recently been treated as a close combat type of character though. For someone who offers the most powerful physical attacks in Smash Bros., you'd expect Ganondorf to be all close range.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
He needs the energy volley ball attack so we can play the "hit it back and forth until someone messes up and gets hit and stunned" game.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Why so many people support how he played in Melee? He was just an exact captain falcon clone. Now hes got some of the most brutal aerial attacks and theres no delay on the input of his jumps.
Ganondorf still has moves that mirrors Captain Falcon in Brawl. As for his aerials, they're actually not very good compared to Melee's especially with stale move negation being more severe in Brawl, and the loss of L-Canceling means he will almost always suffer landing lag from his Forward Aerial, which would otherwise have been one of his best moves. Also, all of Ganondorf's Aerials save for his Forward Air are pretty much the same as Falcons, but with different animations in some moves, and different hitboxes, power, and effects.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
All of you guys talking about Ganondorf using swords sure have a funny way of spelling trident. That's the Ganon/dorf that I grew up with and that means that it's the correct one. :) Seriously though I think he could be really brutal with a trident. It'd be new and unique and he'd certainly benefit from the range.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ganondorf's Final Smash should become a transformation, instead of just an offensive attack. OoT Ganon would be a good option for this case.

[collapse=Artwork]
[/collapse]

Heartstring

Smash Legend
they can do whatever they want to ganon, just make sure his side-B works the same as it did in brawl so i can make people cry with my techchasing

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
He needs the energy volley ball attack so we can play the "hit it back and forth until someone messes up and gets hit and stunned" game.
Yes! The sphere could get bigger and more powerful with each hit, requiring an escalation in attack power on the defending character's moves for a ricochet. Because all of Ganondorf's attacks are insanely powerful, he would have a bit of an edge in the match.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Yes! The sphere could get bigger and more powerful with each hit, requiring an escalation in attack power on the defending character's moves for a ricochet. Because all of Ganondorf's attacks are insanely powerful, he would have a bit of an edge in the match.
As if the "volleyball" thing wasn't a good enough an idea, your proposed idea for how it will work can boil down to one simple word:

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Eh hes only a clone in the visual nature of his attacks, Ganon and Falcon have always played vastly differently. Speed and combo vs power and punish.

Also, and this is total ganon main bias, but I hope he doesn't change too much. A sword would be disappointing and unnecessary, considering the amount of sword users we already have.

:phone:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Just make his sword materialize out of energy for attacks. Keep the purple dark matter effect on his blade and have it disappear into spherical wisps at the end of the attack.

Keep side B, it is awesome.

BSP

Smash Legend
Eh hes only a clone in the visual nature of his attacks, Ganon and Falcon have always played vastly differently. Speed and combo vs power and punish.
I agree with this.

If Ganon did get a projectile, which move would go? I don't think he really needs because if they get how he's supposed to play down, one hit from Ganon will catch up to any character's projectile damage anyway.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
The best thing about this is that if they decide to reflect it manually (eg spacy down-b) then we can STILL bat it back to them anyway!

And warlock punch would go...seriously, Its manly but useless to high hell

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My only problem with giving Ganondorf projectiles would be that it could make him way overpowered. If he's going to offer the strongest physical attacks, having no projectiles should easily balance him out.

Also, if Ganondorf gets a sword, the sword should have darkness-based effects, just as a reference to Ganondorf's evil nature.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I've always been in favor of giving Ganondorf a completely new sword-and-magic based moveset and giving his old slower but more powerful Captain Falcon moveset to a new character (Black Shadow most likely just due to similar personalities). I mean, between OoT and TP he has enough to build a moveset with, and some moves referencing Ganon from the original or ALttP would be icing on the cake.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
My only problem with giving Ganondorf projectiles would be that it could make him way overpowered. If he's going to offer the strongest physical attacks, having no projectiles should easily balance him out.
Just only allow one dark sphere on screen from Ganondorf at a time. That way Ganondorf cannot spam a projectile, but rather use it as an approach. It can give him enough cover to run toward his opponent without getting himself crushed by a barrage of enemy fire.

Haxeye

Smash Cadet
I'd replace Ganondorfs up b with that attack from OoT in which Ganondorf's fist glows with energy then he smashes it into the ground causing a quake, when up b is pressed Ganondorf would leap up hover a bit in midair as his fist simultaneously gathers energy then he'd dive back down and punch the ground with his fist doing lots of damage to anyone he hits and doing some damage and knockback to anyone hit with the quake. However it would suffer some ending lag

Ganondorf's warlock punch could be replaced by the dark volley projectile that's currently being discussed in the thread.

When B is pressed Ganondorf will raise the palm of his hand to the sky, gather energy for a second then thrust his hand forward firing the gathered energy. The projectile would have the initial start up animation lag, would move very slowly but would have some slight homing properties. It would deal heavy damage and although it can be shielded the more it's knocked back between Ganondorf and his opponent the more damage (and knockback) it will do to the enemies shield if they opt to block it after it's been volleyed multiple times.

Ganondorf's flame choke would remain the same but his down b would change from the warlock kick into materializing his sword. The sword would alter his flame choke, as well as some of his smash attacks and normal attacks, for example his forward smash would change from an elbow thrust to a double thrust of his sword, his up smash kick would be come a large arcing over head sword swing, etc. His flame choke would still involve a quick rush forward but instead of grabbing the opponent Ganondorf will execute a powerful double-handed swinging chop in front of him. When executed in the air this would spike the enemy downward.

The sword would sacrifice some of ganondorf's pure brute KO power and knockback for less damage and knockback but greater attack speed and reach.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
a new moveset change is a must, but I disagree with the whole" stick a sword on him" logic, since he's...only used one like, twice.

hell, I think he's used a trident more times in the series.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
a new moveset change is a must, but I disagree with the whole" stick a sword on him" logic, since he's...only used one like, twice.

hell, I think he's used a trident more times in the series.
Agreed. I don't really like the idea of Ganondorf using a weapon at all... I think he's more well-known for his magic abilities. But the approach the Smash games take is still more appropriate than giving the guy a sword. (...Aside from the fact that his specials were based on Captain Falcon's)

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I want Ganondorf to be an evil wizard, not a weapon user. I would want most of his moves to be derived from OoT alone.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ganondorf could always use a sword and utilize his dark powers at the same time. Heck, he could even combine the two to execute a sword attack that has darkness effects.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ganondorf could always use a sword and utilize his dark powers at the same time. Heck, he could even combine the two to execute a sword attack that has darkness effects.
Indeed, he could combine his dark magic with his swordsmanship. Ever heard of Mage Knights, anyone? he could also pull his trident and use some attacks with it as well.

Maybe he could switch between sword and trident, while keeping some of his more unique physical hand to hand attacks (such as Up A, Side A and Side B)?

they could switch his neutral A to him stabbing with the sword while keeping damage, knockback and speed, but giving more range.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf swinging around a sword is just weird to me. If Twilight Princess never existed would people still be screaming, "SWORD!" If he has to have a lame weapon then the trident makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom