• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf 2.1-3.0 Video Archive [Closed]

bandi

Smash Cadet
No FD? Are you insane? Chaingrab half of the cast to death on FD. If your CG folloups are on point, only Characters with Projectiles are to fear on FD.

I don't want to say that I like FD, but it's still a viable stage depending on your opponent.

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
No FD? Are you insane? Chaingrab half of the cast to death on FD. If your CG folloups are on point, only Characters with Projectiles are to fear on FD.

I don't want to say that I like FD, but it's still a viable stage depending on your opponent.
List of Characters That Don't Have Projectiles:
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Marth
Roy
Ike
Squirtle (Water Gun and Bubbles really don't count)
Charizard (Fire Breath doesn't count)
Bowser (Same as above)
Sonic
DK
Metaknight
Wario
Jigglypuff

Hmm... I still don't think you would want to take any of these characters to FD, maybe with the exception of Bowser.

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
I literally would not want to take any of those characters to FD except Ganon. Also, Ganon does not have chaingrabs to death on anybody with proper DI. He does have very long chaingrabs against the semi-fastfallers, though, those being Lucas, Roy, Metaknight, and Diddy.

Bazkip

Smash Master
List of Characters That Don't Have Projectiles:
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Marth
Roy
Ike
Squirtle (Water Gun and Bubbles really don't count)
Charizard (Fire Breath doesn't count)
Bowser (Same as above)
Sonic
DK

Hmm... I still don't think you would want to take Falcon, Sonic, or Ike to FD.
You forgot Meta Knight, Wario and Jiggs

bandi

Smash Cadet
I literally would not want to take any of those characters to FD except Ganon. Also, Ganon does not have chaingrabs to death on anybody with proper DI. He does have very long chaingrabs against the semi-fastfallers, though, those being Lucas, Roy, Metaknight, and Diddy.
If you CG someone on FD, you're followups should be at least good enough to rack up about 70ish%, which eventually leads to a kill. Chaingrabbing Roy should be an insta win for Ganon anyways.
Try this for starters on FD with a chaingrabable Char : Dthrow up to 30-40%=>Footstool(Most people will not react fast enough/good mixup)=>Dair=>Aerial SideB=>FINISH HIM. Just don't do Friendship as Ganon.

Don't get me wrong - I love platforms, and I ****ing love battlefield. But sometimes Ganons should choose to play on FD against some characters. There is certainly some high risk involved in choosing FD as Ganon with his chubby grabrange, but the reward might be even higher than the risk. The three Maps where Ganon heavily profits off Chaingrabs are FD and Dreamland/Skyworld.
Try them out sometimes, and use the power of T-Rex.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I'd maybe consider it against Bowser but even that's iffy. Perhaps you can counterpick it in the ditto if you know the other guy hates it more than you (but he most likely banned it). Without platforms Ganon's lack of speed is even more painfully obvious. All of the above listed chars without projectiles can outmaneuver Ganon even harder on FD (aside from Bowser and himself). I don't believe the longer chaingrabs are worth it.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Up, or up+away, and hopefully you will go high enough that by the time you can execute an action out of tumble, Ganon can't grab you again.

MerzA

Smash Cadet
I gotta work on my jc grabs, I'll usually get like 3/4 chaingrabs off then flub the jc grab and nair them instead :awesome:

bandi

Smash Cadet
I gotta work on my jc grabs, I'll usually get like 3/4 chaingrabs off then flub the jc grab and nair them instead :awesome:
Nair isn't a bad option! You can usaully link the first hit of the Nair into Uair or Fair. But I'd rather L-cancel the Nair than AC in this case.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
You can't L cancel a Nair if you do it too soon :/

And yeah I'm totally fine with FD too, against every character. I don't mind people running around and I feel like wihout platforms they have less space to run away. I'm not saying stages with platforms are bad but I'd pick FD any day over **** like Lylat or FoD

MerzA

Smash Cadet
You can't L cancel a Nair if you do it too soon :/

And yeah I'm totally fine with FD too, against every character. I don't mind people running around and I feel like wihout platforms they have less space to run away. I'm not saying stages with platforms are bad but I'd pick FD any day over **** like Lylat or FoD
I didn't like FoD either at first, but once I started practicing on it I realized how good it was for Ganon. You get the Yoshi's platform layout, and when the platforms start falling you can Dair people through them. Also it has a very similar ledge to Final Destination which works out very well for Ganon. High ceiling but not very large side blast zones, which is great for us because we rarely kill off the top (except for dem STOMPS)

Bazkip

Smash Master
SKTAR 3 vids

vex y u so honourable
junebug y u no ganon dittos
;_;

Double Ganon hype

MerzA

Smash Cadet
Got 7th while going all Ganon at Rains of Castamere 2 in San Antonio a little while ago. It was the first tourney that I had gone to besides the weeklies in Austin and it had 50 entrants for PM singles. Felt like I did okay.

Here's my match against SOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV_6DDNV6a0

And here's my doubles match against ARC and T.Wim(?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGi6xGI4yM
Those wiz kicks at the end of the first match broke my heart :( I know that feel bro, we've all been there

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Nice games dude, one thing I noticed is that you got caught a lot of times in the startup of your aerials, especially Fair and Dair. So I advise you'd try to start them earlier or use faster aerials, personally I love using Uair when people are in front of me, it doesn't hurt as much as Fair but god is it fast.

Also whenever a spacy lands behind you or right in front of you just Utilt. It should be your antishine move.

Other than that good job, too bad you got spiked one time too many.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Also whenever a spacy lands behind you or right in front of you just Utilt. It should be your antishine move.
i've been trying that this weekend (just in general, not only against spacies), and while it's hard to remember, it's so good. i caught dr. drew off guard entirely one time, but then always forgot to try for utilt in those situations until after it passed : /

bandi

Smash Cadet
i've been trying that this weekend (just in general, not only against spacies), and while it's hard to remember, it's so good. i caught dr. drew off guard entirely one time, but then always forgot to try for utilt in those situations until after it passed : /
This! This Sunday i played against a Wolf (He's maining Falcon in Melee). He spaced himself poorly after approaching me. He attacked me, landed behind me and tried to shine -so I hit him with an Utilt. He was like "Duuuude! That does like 30% dmg - that stomp hits like a Falcon Punch" I corrected him and told him, that the Falcon Punch hits like an Utilt of Ganon. Only weaker. And less manlier.

MerzA

Smash Cadet
This! This Sunday i played against a Wolf (He's maining Falcon in Melee). He spaced himself poorly after approaching me. He attacked me, landed behind me and tried to shine -so I hit him with an Utilt. He was like "Duuuude! That does like 30% dmg - that stomp hits like a Falcon Punch" I corrected him and told him, that the Falcon Punch hits like an Utilt of Ganon. Only weaker. And less manlier.
Have to try this!!

Bazkip

Smash Master
Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
lol just watched the G&W set, some funny stuff happened that second round. You got that utilt edge guard, utilt after non l canceled stomp, and triple stomp. and ended with a ganoncide.

Spralwers

Smash Ace

Please don't use this video as an actual example of how this MU is played, too much jank. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Videos from Montana Melee:

vs. Punk Panda (Losers' Semis): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT_tNlX5JKI
vs. Jamnt0ast (Losers' Finals): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPoBb904TRw
vs. Chevy (Grand Finals): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1gbCvleHdo
I'm really surprised you lost game 3 to Jamnt0ast. Something about Meta Knight, the second lightest character in the game, surviving a fair at the edge at 80% and a bair at 100% just doesn't seem right. Battlefield isn't that big.

You still ended up winning the set, so I guess it's not a huge deal, but it's just odd.

Regardless, good stuff.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
I'm really surprised you lost game 3 to Jamnt0ast. Something about Meta Knight, the second lightest character in the game, surviving a fair at the edge at 80% and a bair at 100% just doesn't seem right. Battlefield isn't that big.

You still ended up winning the set, so I guess it's not a huge deal, but it's just odd.

Regardless, good stuff.
Ha, I was choking so hard that set. Even lost the game with the hype 0-death, lol. Pulled it out at the end though.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Ha, I was choking so hard that set. Even lost the game with the hype 0-death, lol. Pulled it out at the end though.
From watching your matches, I was wondering why you don't use flame choke as a follow up, or really in any way besides recovering, and why you almost never go for the spike?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
he looks like he plays a primarily very safe ganon.

flame choke is very high risk high reward, so he probably doesn't feel safe using it, since ganon's kind of combo food, anyway, and you don't want to give too many openings from his poor neutral game.

obviously, this is all conjecture on my part, though.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Well I watched that set against MK, and the 2 times he used side B he got heavily punished for it. Side B is a very very good punisher if you can bait your opponent into it, but smart people don't fall that easily once they learn the matchup.

Other than that congratz HH, I wish my Ganon was as solid as yours.
Speaking of which I got 9th in a tournament this week end, my last set in loser got recorded so prepare for some intense teeth grinding.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Yes in these kind of cases it really is good, I guess that's one thing HH should work on.
Also work on your JC grabs bro, seeing Ganon dashgrab pains me a lot. It makes your CGs way easier since it's faster and grabs further.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Yeah. I really like Hungry Headcrab's Ganon but it's less fun when he's just playing it safe. What I really want to see from a Ganon, and I'm working on myself, is consistent use of all tech. Wavelanding every aerial, chaingrabbing every character that can be chain grabbed, auto cancelling every aerial to tighten up his game, and DACUS'ing/ Flame choking for hard read tech chasing. That is actually an issue with a lot of smash players is that too many of them are accustomed to playing a very safe and reactionary game, so nobody makes hard reads, which really are fantastic and utilized well in the other FGC's.

Fortress

Smash Master
Yes in these kind of cases it really is good, I guess that's one thing HH should work on.
Also work on your JC grabs bro, seeing Ganon dashgrab pains me a lot. It makes your CGs way easier since it's faster and grabs further.
No Ganondorf expert, but I'm fairly certain that dash grab is better than JC grab in matchups against short characters like MK. Scoops lower, and behind him for that matter.

[collapse=Standing Grab]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Dash Grab]
[/collapse]

At least, that's why I'd use it in the matchup. To be completely fair, HH has only ever JC grabbed me, but I play taller characters like Link and Sheik.

Yeah. I really like Hungry Headcrab's Ganon but it's less fun when he's just playing it safe. What I really want to see from a Ganon, and I'm working on myself, is consistent use of all tech. Wavelanding every aerial, chaingrabbing every character that can be chain grabbed, auto cancelling every aerial to tighten up his game, and DACUS'ing/ Flame choking for hard read tech chasing. That is actually an issue with a lot of smash players is that too many of them are accustomed to playing a very safe and reactionary game, so nobody makes hard reads, which really are fantastic and utilized well in the other FGC's.
Watch @ Hungry Headcrab Hungry Headcrab 's roommate, Arya. Flashiest ****ing Ganondorf I ever done did see. Off stage and no chance of recovering to begin with? Have fun eating a show-offy D-air. Down and out on stage and recovering? Here, have ten tech-chased Flame Chokes in a row. And nothing else. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, every day until you like it.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'm going to make him my senpai and look up to him and have a moe rivalry. We'll be the prettiest Ganon's in all the Land.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Wow. Lot's of feedback. Cool.

I honestly feel I should use Flame Choke more. The fact is, I treat every game like I'm playing against one of my roommates, who all know how to punish Flame Choke like it's second nature, but not everyone is ready to do so, so I should be more liberal in its use, at least until I get a feel for how well the opponent knows the matchup.

As for JC grabs, I just keep forgetting that I should do them. There's no real strategy to my dash grabs, sorry @ Fortress Fortress .

I feel that I play fairly flashy overall, or at least I know that I have the capacity to and have done so before, just not when I know I can't get away with it and/or am nervous (and I was pretty nervous the whole time, lol). Punk Panda is my brother, Chevy is my roommate, and Jamnt0ast is a smart player who has played against me before. They know my tricks well enough, and going off-stage against a Meta Knight isn't quite in my wheelhouse yet. If I screw up at all, I'm dead. I'll pretty much only go for ballin' off-stage dairs against players or characters I am comfortable going deep against unless I have a good read. Otherwise, I'll trust that I can wall off the edge well enough to keep them off-stage. There's also something to be said about saving the crazy stuff for special circumstances, and saving the flash for when you really need it. You can see me go for a coolio drop-off fair in game 5 of the first set against Chevy that I feel he would have expected if I had been going balls deep the whole time. So, there's that.

You could see more flashy play if the other matches I played were uploaded. I killed two guys with Warlock Punch that tournament, lol.

Top Bottom