• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon META Thread : discussions and suggestions go here !

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i had an epiphany yesterday at a tourney.

what ganon needs, is for his neutral b to have the same animation and length it does right now, but when it finishes, instead of a large, strong hit at the end, you just create another ganon that you can control ike climbers syle. and, like ike climbers, if that ganon dies, you don't lose a stock.

and you can go full bacterial mode on it, too, and get more ganons if the both of you finish a neutral b!

and, to keep a point in using turn around neutral b's, for every 2 turn arounds (so, ever 360), you get a bonus ganon! so you pull off a sick 720 warlock punch, you get two free ganon-climbers!

i literally cannot see anything unbalanced about this at all. pmbr please.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
I'm ok with this.

On a more serious note the thing I want the most right now is a hitbox on this foot during air down B.
I can deal with a crappy grab range and laggy recovery options.
I can also deal with the fact that Falco's dair lasts forever and spikes until the very last frame of its hitbox while this has been fixed in the pal version.

But wizkicking a Falco from above and still get spiked by the weak hit of his Dair ?

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
haha, a random foot hitbox on flame choke would be kind of hilarious, though. just think about the salt when someone dodges you, only to get clipped by the foot and knocked into the grab, anyway >: D

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Guys pls, youll be better at playing ganon if you improve your movement, as far as I know every ganon vid has a problem with movement, master it

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Guys pls, youll be better at playing ganon if you improve your movement, as far as I know every ganon vid has a problem with movement, master it
And what should be considered a good movement ? Because you know you've been going around saying everyone is terrible but beside that you haven't done much. Maybe you should try to give people advice on what you'd like to see.

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Im a meanie <3
Perfecting wavelanding is one, you could go for a full waveland after a short hop bair/uair. Also what I hate to see is that some people go for wavelands from the ledge, the problem is that they dont use the invincibility they gain from grabbing the ledge.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Yeah that would be me lmao. I also overuse the air to ground flame choke at the edge because it works way more than it should.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
haha, yeah, last night i was yelling at myself, after i would flame choke from the ledge, knowing full well it's a bad idea. like [ledge drop]"man, i shouldn't flame choke, he's way too far away. i'll ledge hop-land and ftilt instead" [muscle memory flame choke] "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! WHY DID YOU DO THAT, HANDS!"

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Grounded flame choke from the ledge reaches pretty far, but its still true that it isnt always the best option

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Well technically it's far from being safe, but except this point it's crazy good. If you do it fast you can get some invincibility on the startup, it reachs like 1/3rd of FD, it goes right through shields and in the eventuality where it connects the follow ups allow you to take your opponent offstage at the other edge.
Like AtG Flame Choke > Jab > Wizkick or AtG Flame Choke>Ftilt.

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Wait are you saying the you first waveland then you do the aerial flame choke, im lost

CORY

wut
BRoomer
there's a weird thing that can happen with aerial flame choke at the ledge, where if you start it at just the right spot, you'll get grounded flame choke distance, but the aerial flame choke bounce. it's weird to set up (easier on sloped stages), but it's pretty nice to get on occasion.

| Kailex |

NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I rarely go for aerial flame choke from the ledge unless opponent is ridiculously close or dumb, always go for the grounded if I chose to flame choke

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
The timing is quite easy once you figure it out, I can get it 100% of the time now. Just ledge drop and jump forward, then side B before landing.
Try it on Yoshi's Island/Story first so that you see the effect.

Alter Requiem

Red Panties Ambassador
NNID
AlterRequiem
My wavelands/dash doesnt go anywhere near this far. I have pretty much got everything down except the ability to make ganondorf reach 88 miles an hour. Sometimes I get some really nice ones off of platforms and get a nice fair or bair out of it, but I cant replicate it very often. Im much better with luigi and his vaseline soles, which makes me think im just timing the drop wrong with ganondorf.

Tl:dr teach me how to butter shoe plz

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
My wavelands/dash doesnt go anywhere near this far. I have pretty much got everything down except the ability to make ganondorf reach 88 miles an hour. Sometimes I get some really nices ones off of platforms and get a nice fair or bair out of it, but I cant replicate it very often. Im much better with luigi and his vaseline soles, which makes me think im just timing the drop wrong with ganondorf.

Tl:dr teach me how to butter shoe plz
The reason that your wavelands aren't as long is probably because you're angling your airdodge slightly downward. With Ganon, you can waveland with completely horizontal airdodges much more easily than you can with most other characters. His wavelands are easier to hit if you double jump as well. Wavelands on platforms are usually easier because it's easier to get perfect wavelands when you're coming through the platform from below, while ones on the ground are harder because you have to time it better. That's about everything I can think of.

Last edited:

Alter Requiem

Red Panties Ambassador
NNID
AlterRequiem
The reason that your wavedashes aren't as long is probably because you're angling your airdodge slightly downward. With Ganon, you can waveland with completely horizontal airdodges much more easily than you can with most other characters. His wavelands are easier to hit if you double jump as well. Wavelands on platforms are usually easier because it's easier to get perfect wavelands when you're coming through the platform from below, while ones on the ground are harder because you have to time it better. That's about everything I can think of.
and that might just do it, ive been doing it about 45 degrees in whatever direction, ill try practicing right now then. lol thx

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
As far as changes to ganon goes I'd like to jump out of wizkick not go into freefall when i grounded side-b off of a platform, that'd do some nasty mixups on platform techchases

Spralwers

Smash Ace
all of the Dorf's moves aside from the stomp need to have knockback angles similar to Tinks dsmash, Tinks fsmash, Diddys fair, and Sheiks fair kappa

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
So this is kind of a stupid trick, but it looks flashy and can tack on some damage in a pinch so I'll post it.

During Dthrow chains I like to SH aerial wiz kick to get the downward hit and the ground bounce, and then regrab. Nice damage, looks sweet, just a fun little thing. You should try it out. Also if there's a place that relevant information goes I'd recommend putting this write up
The reason that your wavedashes aren't as long is probably because you're angling your airdodge slightly downward. With Ganon, you can waveland with completely horizontal airdodges much more easily than you can with most other characters. His wavelands are easier to hit if you double jump as well. Wavelands on platforms are usually easier because it's easier to get perfect wavelands when you're coming through the platform from below, while ones on the ground are harder because you have to time it better. That's about everything I can think of.
there as it's good at teaching good wavelanding with Ganon.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
So this is kind of a stupid trick, but it looks flashy and can tack on some damage in a pinch so I'll post it.

During Dthrow chains I like to SH aerial wiz kick to get the downward hit and the ground bounce, and then regrab. Nice damage, looks sweet, just a fun little thing. You should try it out. Also if there's a place that relevant information goes I'd recommend putting this write up

there as it's good at teaching good wavelanding with Ganon.
oh man that is swaggin, i have to try that
i honestly didn't know down throw was as good as it was until i read this thread
what are some set-ups you guys use for baiting into grabs?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Honestly I have no idea how I land grabs. I do a lot of hard reads when opponent are tech rolling so I land some from those. Most set ups for grabs happen at low percents but honestly, depending on the character, a grab setup to a grab can lead to a kill. My most trafficked two setups are SH Bair > WL > grab
and SHFFL Dair > grab
those are the ones I'd say you'll get the most mileage out of. Getting grabs is really just a natural thing. The more you try at it, the more you'll find easy incorporations of it into your game.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
oh man that is swaggin, i have to try that
i honestly didn't know down throw was as good as it was until i read this thread
what are some set-ups you guys use for baiting into grabs?
Jab can lead to grabs on some of the larger characters
http://www.twitch.tv/austinpm/b/546401173?t=1h14m14s
http://www.twitch.tv/austinpm/b/546401173?t=3h50m50s

Same thing with nair at low percent
http://www.twitch.tv/austinpm/b/546401173?t=1h19m15s
I also use another trick to land a grab right after I get the nair -> grab. I jump up and sort of fake like I'm going to try and throw out an aerial. My opponent tries to shield the aerial he thinks I'm going to throw out, but I just land on the ground and grab him instead. If you don't already know, this is often called a tomahawk or an empty jump. I love doing these and they always look stylish. My boy CnB | Chandy does them a lot with DK. Example

Jabs can even lead to grabs on floatier characters like Zelda
http://www.twitch.tv/austinpm/b/546401173?t=2h46m07s

And of course, you can always go for just good old fashioned reads
http://www.twitch.tv/austinpm/b/546401173?t=3h57m08s
http://youtu.be/KMBrvpOcxtY?t=1m41s

One of my personal favorites, dash dance around them while in invincibility and bait out a roll
http://www.twitch.tv/austinpm/b/546401173?t=2h05m55s

Top Bottom