• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Gameplay Q&A and General Discussion Thread

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Don't forget, Ike and Corrin have the same fall speed, and are closer in run and walk speed than marth... But marth is closer in weight and air speed... I don't know what I'm trying to say here anymore =P

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Don't forget, Ike and Corrin have the same fall speed, and are closer in run and walk speed than marth... But marth is closer in weight and air speed... I don't know what I'm trying to say here anymore =P
I know what you're trying to say...
Ike x Marth = Corrin
A new ship has set sail...

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Sup Corrins. Normally I'm around the Shulkboards, but I've decided to pick up the Corns as a secondary.
My question is: what is the general strategy for Corrin's neutral game? I'm starting to get the hang of it, but some tips from some more experienced Corrin mains would be appreciated. Or perhaps someone already posted a detailed post on the matter and I missed it?
Thanks in advance, peeps.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Sup Corrins. Normally I'm around the Shulkboards, but I've decided to pick up the Corns as a secondary.
My question is: what is the general strategy for Corrin's neutral game? I'm starting to get the hang of it, but some tips from some more experienced Corrin mains would be appreciated. Or perhaps someone already posted a detailed post on the matter and I missed it?
Learning how to space and play the midrange is important. Memorizing Corrin's various ranges, and learning your basic combos is also important. Be aware of certain set ups, but don't waste too much time on them; you won't consistently land them in a match. When the opponent is above you, close in with your aerials. Intercept recoveries with aerial Dragon Lunge if you can. Go for grabs since opponents will constantly shield your offense.

Also patience. Being patient is sooo important with Corrin. I often see Corrin's press buttons and get punished for it, when inaction is often a good/better option. Dragon Lunge is an extremely good move, and you should use it when you absolutely need to (ie: you're in range and your opponent is doing anything but blocking).

Avoid being predictable is the last important thing. Corrin is a character that flourishes once she gets the stock lead, but in order to do that, you need land KOs. Outside of her kill throw, nothing is guaranteed so you need to get creative. Constantly throwing out spaced Forward Smashes won't work if the opponent is looking for it. Mix it up. B-reverse DFS can mess people up if they aren't looking for it.

Here's an example of optimal Corrin play

Start at 1:08. Notice how Cosmos is constantly short hopping? He's looking for an opportunity to get in, but he can simultaneously defend himself with aerials because he outranges Bayonetta. That's usually where you want to be.

Last edited:

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
I would say the above Corrin summery by Pk is good, but Id like to throw in a couple things to add. Corrin in a nutshell is all control, and thrives off being in control. She seems to play very passive aggressive. By this I mean you passively space in nuetral and probe your opponent at a mid range, and once who have won nuetral and opened them up, you apply large amounts of pressure. For example after winning nuetral you have forced your opponent towards the ledge and you have control of center stage. This is one of the states when Corrin is at her best as she can put large amounts of spaced pressure on an opponent with nowhere to run. This position mitigates our biggest weakness (mobility) while also playing on our strength in applying spaced pressure (also another great position is when your opponent is above corrin). One thing I do disagree with pk gaming though is our follow up game is very consistent and corrin once in advantage can dmg rack very well with true combos and juggles. You do however need to be quick on the follow ups. Also for kill confirms we pretty much only have dfs, and sometimes a combo move into U-air (the window for these are small to true combo and kill, and you really got to buffer your stuff). There are a couple other confirms, and set ups, but they are rarely done (fair or n-air into dfs for one). Otherwise Corrin for killing can kill early with a read or edgegaurd, or at normal kill percents with safe kill moves / kill throws.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I wouldn't say that killing with Corrin is based on hard reads in neutral or anything like that. I think she does better at killing than most characters. She's got some really nice airdodge traps from things like U-tilt and Fair. Her landing trap game is also top tier. Add on a few nice kill confirms, 2 kill throws, and DFS kills at 65% and people won't live too long against her.

our biggest weakness (mobility)
I disagree with this. Her bad mobility is mitigated by the fact that her hitboxes and frame data on moves like DL, Fair, and, Nair are stupid and by the fact that she has an 8 frame dash to shield (tied with Sheik for the best), along with generally scary short hops.

Corrin's biggest weakness is definitely the lack of throw followups. This is because the best counterplay to Corrin is smart and patient shielding while slowly moving forward. The only effective answer to this type of playstyle is to grab to make the opponent scared of shielding. Corrin could grab and throw you, but that won't scare most people out of shielding. Compare her to the most similar character, Ike. Ike gets an easy 19% off grabs at nearly any percent, not counting pummels. People are scared of shielding against him. What does Corrin get? 7%. If Corrin could get Ike throw followups, she would be so broken.

When people are scared of shielding, Corrin easily destroys every single character in this game. Characters just can't deal with stuff like IP without a shield. The problem is that people are rarely scared of shielding against Corrin.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I'd like to add that the DL kicks are also a good way to end stocks, usually killing around 130% fresh. In practice though, good DI and staleness will make it kill a bit later, and after that upthrow/dthrow will finish the job either way. Both DFS and DL work as built-in kill confirms, the latter trading killpower for a bit more safety.

---

On the subject of grabs, I was watching Cosmos plow through the losers bracket at Shockwave last night, and the sheer number of grabs he got would make you think Corrin is a grappler, lmao. With a pummel or two, we do get a decent 10-13% the first few times, but P Planty is right: it's better for the opponent to take this kinda damage than to die at 80% near the ledge to the likes of tipper IP.

---

Finally, I've probably mentioned this a while ago but now that I've got an actual number, no harm in repeating. Corrin's skid animation takes 15 frames. In contrast, cancelling your run with a shield is an 18-frame commitment in Smash 4 (assuming you don't immediately dodge or jump OoS: 11 frames of minimum shield hold time + 7 frames to drop shield). That means Corrin saves 3 frames by ending her run with a skid rather than shielding. What's more is that you can buffer any move out of the skid but you need to have let go of the control stick beforehand, otherwise you might get a delayed dash attack. Now this doesn't mean that you should never use shield to cancel your run, specially in situations where you wanna...well, shield, but it does add a spice of variety to Corrin's run game; something like run-up > spaced dtilt on shield might be a good way to force reactions, and buffered uptilt from a skid could force an airdodge situation on an airborne opponent, etc etc.

EDIT: slowing your run will shorten the skid animation furthermore, although I don't have an exact number on this and it's probably not too practical in the heat of battle.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
What everyone said above, plus you can watch Izaw's Art of Corrin, which is really helpful.
I can't link the video here(thanks,phone) sadly.

Guys quick questions.

1)How much ending lag does Corrin's butt slide have from after the Dragon Lunge Kick? People seem to counter right out of it when I chase to punish them.

2)Is Corrin's sword,Yato, literally on fire or is it just magicky shenanigans? If it is really on fire, I'll be looking forward to Mad Max : Birthquest Revelation.

Last edited:

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
What everyone said above, plus you can watch Izaw's Art of Corrin, which is really helpful.
I can't link the video here(thanks,phone) sadly.

Guys quick questions.

1)How much ending lag does Corrin's butt slide have from after the Dragon Lunge Kick? People seem to counter right out of it when I chase to punish them.

2)Is Corrin's sword,Yato, literally on fire or is it just magicky shenanigans? If it is really on fire, I'll be looking forward to Mad Max : Birthquest Revelation.
1. Idk
2. I'm not sure its fire but it has the same aura that the invaders have/use to turn invisible in Fates.

atreyujames

NNID
Atreyujames
FAF for the kicks is Frame 46, so after the hitbox is gone there is 22 frames of endlag for the forward version (F24->F46) and 18 frames for the back kick (F28->F46).

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I have no way of testing this so just humor me...
Does Corrin's Instant Pin Kick have super armor, invincibility or just extreme priority during the first few frames?

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Does Corrin's Instant Pin Kick have super armor, invincibility or just extreme priority during the first few frames?
I believe the kick is just a high priority hit box. Like a monkey flip kick. Also it has no hit box on first frames and can be stopped before the kick comes out at times. Ik this because my friend is a wario main and if he bite just outside the range of side b and if I do any kick bite will beat the start up, but if hes too far away the kick will beat it ( jump or w8 to be safe here).

D

Deleted member

No Super Armor or Invincibility

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I believe the kick is just a high priority hit box. Like a monkey flip kick. Also it has no hit box on first frames and can be stopped before the kick comes out at times. Ik this because my friend is a wario main and if he bite just outside the range of side b and if I do any kick bite will beat the start up, but if hes too far away the kick will beat it ( jump or w8 to be safe here).
The first thing to note is that high priority is not a thing. Low priority and item priority is, but high priority doesn't exist. If a particular move beats out lots of things, it's because of something else. For example, Ryu's TSRK will beat out nearly everything because it's invincible and transcendent.

Corrin's DLK doesn't have any special properties. I personally have not experienced the kicks beating lots of moves out, so I find this question fairly strange. But if what you say is true, it probably has to do with disjoint and hurtbox manipulation.

I'll test the kicks for disjoint when I have time, but it seems likely to be the case.

For the next things, I'd like to tag Lavani Lavani
Is it true that Corrin moves a bit before DLK hit box starts? If so how much? I would assume that this is false because then kicks after a pin wouldn't work. I always assumed that sometimes DLFK will whiff because the hit box is placed a bit too far forward.

Also do the kicks raise Corrin's hurtbox off the ground? If so how much?

And finally, are there gifs or images of DLK hit boxes?

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I guess it depends on your definition of "moves". The hitbox is active once she's in the kicking animation, but she does spin forward to do that, which is why you can whiff characters on a pointblank pin sometimes. It's a pretty small deadzone but I guess it's worth noting.

Corrin's off the ground when kicking, so her hurtbox obviously isn't on the ground. Unsure how I'm supposed to be answering this beyond "she's exactly as far off the ground as she looks."

Kick's massively disjointed, mainly below Corrin. I drew a picture of the early hitbox months ago and can ensure it's accurate:

I've seen it beat things I definitely wasn't expecting it to. The move just has one big hitbox that keeps it from whiffing crouching opponents (though the late hit is smaller and can whiff), it makes for a bizarre-looking move but it has a ton of disjoint in certain areas.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Can someone else confirm that there is no noticeable difference between the distance covered by dash grab, roll cancel grab and dash attack cancel grab? I was hoping one of the latter two would give us a tad more range on our grab, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Can someone else confirm that there is no noticeable difference between the distance covered by dash grab, roll cancel grab and dash attack cancel grab? I was hoping one of the latter two would give us a tad more range on our grab, but it doesn't appear to be the case.
A roll cancel grab? What's that?
Also, what about pivot grab's range? Isn't that longer?
Sorry to answer your question with more questions...

Nah

Smash Champion
A roll cancel grab? What's that?
Also, what about pivot grab's range? Isn't that longer?
Sorry to answer your question with more questions...
A roll-cancel grab is basically where you cancel a forward roll with a grab, which extends the grab's range a bit. You can do a similar thing with a dash attack, which they call a boost grab.

Given how tiny Corrin's grab is, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing really extends her grab range by an amount that matters

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
dash attack cancel/boost grab gets a negligible range increase

RC grab varies a ton by frame you grab on, I think frame 1 of your roll reduces the range, while frame 2 has no change and frame 3 increases it noticeably.

I don't think either's really worth it on Corrin, though I guess if you can hit that one frame on a RC grab consistently it'd be a useful boost...it'd just be worse/the same/a roll if you screw it up though.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Ok next thing I wanted to bring up is regular pivots on Corrin. By that I mean doing the initial dash then canceling skid with f- tilt, f-smash, or grab. Now as many of you may or may not know due to her great initial dash her skid distance while performing it is insanely large. In-fact the distance is only slightly under Corrin's f smash range. For example if you regular pivot and f smash then you will tipper were you were and slightly infront of that. It is actually a really good way to space an f-smash on corrin, and can really trip people up ( for example if you b8 them to dash grab you or something pivot f smash will hit them right were you were). My question today though is how safe on shield is tipper f smash? On paper it looks pretty safe -28 on tipper, and -21 with the shield drop and tipper. So the punish window is a little over a 3rd of a second ( oos is impossible at that range). So besides item's oss like banana, or quick projectiles like rob, who can punish it?

D

Deleted member 189823

How do you like, Intant Pin without it getting it either clanked or constantly getting clanked by hitboxes? The attack isn't as OP and perfect as they make it out to be. Your opponent won't always have their Shield down (which is basically all it takes to counter it) or not throw out some random move (because, let's face it, 90% of us aren't top-level players) that will end up cancelling it out). So, basically, it's only really viable as a uick punish tool? (catching certain landings and rolls or moderately laggy attacks on shield)

D

Deleted member 189823

Which ever one of those implies getting it cancelled-out before it even comes out. It happens way too often.

Last edited by a moderator:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Which ever one of those implies getting it cancelled-out before it even comes out. It happens way too often.
Considering IP's F8, I would only expect that to be a problem if your opponent predicts the pin or if they're throwing out hitboxes...

D

Deleted member 189823

Which, again, isn't actually all that uncommon when you come back to reality and realise that well over 90% of us aren't even high-level players. So, yeah, it's not incredibly uncommon as theory would paint it out to be.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Ya know guys maybe this was obvious to everyone but me, but we really need to use our rising SH auto cancel f-air. I was kinda messing around with it and thought like the FH one it would only work for for tall characters....yet, it turns out it works on all characters while standing, and only the shortest evade it while crouching. It also sets up into many combos/ juggles, and you can double jump before hitting the ground. The best part is that when properly executed its a soft landing of only -1 frame. All you do is at about a f-air length jump while running forward, hold direction against the momentum, and c stick f-air at the same time. Once you get the spacing down its pretty easy. It is competently nonpunishable by any means. Laos marginally harder the shorter the character.

D

Deleted member 189823

What's the difference with FF F-air/N-air? I've always went with these because it allows me to reach the floor faster and be able to do something out of it, like Shield, as well as having an easier time extending the combo. I actually literally don't know why I would use F-air straight out of jump over this, and I'm actually open to finding a different use to F-air.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
What's the difference with FF F-air/N-air? I've always went with these because it allows me to reach the floor faster and be able to do something out of it, like Shield, as well as having an easier time extending the combo. I actually literally don't know why I would use F-air straight out of jump over this, and I'm actually open to finding a different use to F-air.
The reason is our auto cancel window is frame 30 or greater on f-air our SH air time is 37 frames, our final active frame of f-air is frame 36, in a nutshell if you use f-air frame perfectly from SH then it will have the landing lag of an non fast fall empty SH (which is a soft landing of 1 frame landing lag, basically no lag at all). The reason I think that this unexplored is that no one really thought it could hit most the cast,. One might think this is just like rising FH f-air could only the tallest characters. Yet, it turns out it rising SH f-air can hit even the shortest characters in the game.

Here's an example I posted to youtube, note I soft land and right away walk back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L9tuBKpv2g

Tl;DR making use of our auto cancel combo-able f-airs, Also you can double jump before you land ( so if it hits you can go into a combo, or just to mix up into another aerial). The taller the character the easier it is to hit them ... even short characters are decently easy. One thing though is you will probably need to double stick this to be frame perfect ( I personally double stick it).

Last edited:

atreyujames

NNID
Atreyujames
The reason is our auto cancel window is frame 30 or greater on f-air our SH air time is 37 frames, our final active frame of f-air is frame 36, in a nutshell if you use f-air frame perfectly from SH then it will have the landing lag of an non fast fall empty SH (which is a soft landing of 1 frame landing lag, basically no lag at all). The reason I think that this unexplored is that no one really thought it could hit most the cast,. One might think this is just like rising FH f-air could only the tallest characters. Yet, it turns out it rising SH f-air can hit even the shortest characters in the game.

Here's an example I posted to youtube, note I soft land and right away walk back.

Tl;DR making use of our auto cancel combo-able f-airs, Also you can double jump before you land ( so if it hits you can go into a combo, or just to mix up into another aerial). The taller the character the easier it is to hit them ... even short characters are decently easy. One thing though is you will probably need to double stick this to be frame perfect ( I personally double stick it).
While this is great and all, being much safer than FF Fair, it has the disadvantage of taking one of our jumps to use as a combo starter. If you use the DJ before landing like you say we can than that means we can likely only get a single aerial follow up. With FF fair it allows us to use the first and the second jumps to extend a combo string. Both have their merits and I definitely see the value in the SH rising Fair, but I would never fully replace FF fair with this. A mix of both would be very useful. I can especially see rising Fair being more useful at very low percents when we want to string together D/F?U tilts or a grab after the fair. But for following up with aerial strings, FF Fair is arguably better.

D

Deleted member 189823

There we go, your video reminded me why I preferred the FF version: It has more range. You look a little too close when you're hitting Greninja with the bottom of the hit.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
While this is great and all, being much safer than FF Fair, it has the disadvantage of taking one of our jumps to use as a combo starter. If you use the DJ before landing like you say we can than that means we can likely only get a single aerial follow up. With FF fair it allows us to use the first and the second jumps to extend a combo string. Both have their merits and I definitely see the value in the SH rising Fair, but I would never fully replace FF fair with this. A mix of both would be very useful. I can especially see rising Fair being more useful at very low percents when we want to string together D/F?U tilts or a grab after the fair. But for following up with aerial strings, FF Fair is arguably better.
oh ya It doesn't have the same combo potential, but it is much safer, and could really help in nuetral just for the sake of hitting them up or to the side, or poking shield . Really this is good for safety, but for combos ff n-air or f-air is better.

There we go, your video reminded me why I preferred the FF version: It has more range. You look a little too close when you're hitting Greninja with the bottom of the hit.
The shorter the character the closer you need to be, but Greninja is the shortest so closest. Also the end distance due to fading away is near equal to FF, but this auto cancels, it is much safer on shield, and safe on shield up close even in shield grab range. This does not invalidate FF- n-air or f-air as they are better combo starters though. This just is better at poking shield in nuetral .

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
it will have the landing lag of an non fast fall empty SH (which is a soft landing of 1 frame landing lag, basically no lag at all).
A very minor nitpick by all means, but soft landing lag is almost universally 2 frames (gasp). Also I believe autocancelled aerials go through hard landing lag, which is 4 frames for Corrin. It worked that way in Melee (and PM), so I'm assuming it's the same for Brawl and Smash 4, although someone should definitely correct me if it's not the case anymore.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
A very minor nitpick by all means, but soft landing lag is almost universally 2 frames (gasp). Also I believe autocancelled aerials go through hard landing lag, which is 4 frames for Corrin. It worked that way in Melee (and PM), so I'm assuming it's the same for Brawl and Smash 4, although someone should definitely correct me if it's not the case anymore.
Yeah, it's 4 frames. Autocancels has hard landing lag, which is 4 for Corrin.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
ya kidna realized it after that it was my angling back making it look like it was soft by canceling the hard landing animation.... also how viable do you guys think this is?

D

Deleted member 189823

Just tried that ****. It feels like a whole new depth to my game. Suddenly, I find myself actually spacing properly without any issue as well as being able to keep my momentum. Getting a string started feels harder, but it could be I used more of a ''in and out'' sort of spacing, in which I sometimes retreated a bit. I'd like to try it against good players, but it feels really good in MUs where I would struggle a lot with my spacing, like C.Falcon and Fox.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Just tried that ****. It feels like a whole new depth to my game. Suddenly, I find myself actually spacing properly without any issue as well as being able to keep my momentum. Getting a string started feels harder, but it could be I used more of a ''in and out'' sort of spacing, in which I sometimes retreated a bit. I'd like to try it against good players, but it feels really good in MUs where I would struggle a lot with my spacing, like C.Falcon and Fox.
Ya one thing to keep in mind if your opponent is really on their toes and their character has a quick OOS aerial the might be able to punish this. This has around 15 frames were you can only DI and they are out of shield stun. Though if you see the shield an fade away it should be pretty damn safe. Its probably best as a shield poke and a mix up tool in nuetral, especially if they are expecting a SHFF n-air or f-air. The greatest aspect of this though is ability to hit shield then double jump to adjust spacing out of a SH. Spacing a n-air optimally off the double jump is a very cool option.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

also, again. are you sure our N-air on Shield is -7? I literally got U-Smash'd by Fox OoS (don't even know if it was out of a shield drop, but I was stuck in lag) after FF N-air'ing his Shield. The spacing was super off, but I don't think he should have anywhere as much time to do that if we have -7.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
also, again. are you sure our N-air on Shield is -7? I literally got U-Smash'd by Fox OoS (don't even know if it was out of a shield drop, but I was stuck in lag) after FF N-air'ing his Shield. The spacing was super off, but I don't think he should have anywhere as much time to do that if we have -7.
ya it is, but that's optimally FF so you hit and FF into the ground at the same time (but that's how all moves are calculated for frame advantage). Also U-smash can cancel shield drop as an OOS and fox's is super fast at frame 8. So if you didn't buffer shield or your fast fall was a frame off, and assuming he was frame perfect, then yes with super poor spacing an OOS u-smash will get you.

D

Deleted member 189823

That feeling when Corrin has an 8-frame F-Smash that kills at 100, that also happens to be super safe.

Top Bottom