• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube controllers only?

Dacke00

Smash Rookie
My gamecube controller broke a few months back, so with SBBB I've been using the nunchuck. I noticed some tournaments ban them, any idea as to why? Ive never experience any interference with Wiimotes, is it an unjustified or justified worry?

My gamecube controller broke a few months back, so with SBBB I've been using the nunchuck. I noticed some tournaments ban them, any idea as to why? Ive never experience any interference with Wiimotes, is it an unjustified or justified worry?
Most likely people calling the WAHHmbulance because their batteries ran out (or people falesly claiming that batteries ran out). The Wii has a battery-life menu every time you hit the home button. Just check it before each match and bring your own batteries.

Unjustified worry.

I love the classic controller, so this is a non-issue for me.

alphameric

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure they are banned because of the tedious nature of syncing them.

Imagine having to resync after EVERY game and that the previous Wii would have to wait for you to sync to the new one. Now if it was one person doing so, not a problem, but more than that? Now you should see the problem.

I'm pretty sure they are banned because of the tedious nature of syncing them.

Imagine having to resync after EVERY game and that the previous Wii would have to wait for you to sync to the new one. Now if it was one person doing so, not a problem, but more than that? Now you should see the problem.
Keep the Wiimotes at the same Wiis, then. It's not like people have a shortage of GC controllers and wiimotes. The game automatically selects an open player slot when you activate a Wiimote, so it's not like you'd have to get the right player number, either.

Also, believe it or not, but GASP you don't need the (poorly named) Sensor Bar after you've loaded up Brawl. You can bring along one Sensor Bar and 10 Wiis and be just fine. For more information, look up the technical specifications of the Wiimote.

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
Firstly the "official" reason is due to syncing problems. However, many people do not wish to completely re-learn Super Smash Bros, we have been playing SSB with the Gamecube controller since Melee and I don't know about you, but I am pretty dang good with a GC controller.

Edit: Censorship was necessary

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
no1 wants to sync 50 wii motes and a lot of trounaments that tried it, ahd problems in doing so. i dont know why but my friend is really good with the wii mote so i hope this gets fixed or something lol

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
I beleive that all tournaments need to have a standard controller not only for syncing issues but for issues of fairness. What if one controller has a slightly faster reaction time, or GASP you ran out of battery power. The Gamecube controller is the clear winner here.

Paden260

Smash Cadet
Dosen't it take just as long to put your name in the Wii your playing on, as it would if you synced a wiimote into a game, which probably has your name already in it? 0.o

deaner92

Smash Rookie
I prefer my wii mote... I dont have a cube controller anymore because i didnt like my gamecube.

I adjusted to the new controlls for the nunchucks fine...and i dont feel like learning gc controls again ...
it would be like people wanting to use n64 controllers when the gc came out

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
Well that does sux =/. I learned how to play with Wiimote/Nunchuck JUST so that I can play in tourneys and now I hear this crap? This is great... Why you ask? Because I asked Nintendo employees at Nintendo World on what they think will be the default controls for Brawl tourneys and they said Wiimote and Wiimote/nunchuck.

I already think I forgot how to play with the GCN controller >_>.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
The major problem, as has been pointed out, is with the syncing of controllers. One possible solution to this would be to have a wii remote at every station, so you could bring your own classic controller or numchuck if you wanted.

Problems with this, however, is theft. Its ugly, but it happens when theres large crowds of people. Tournament directors obviously can't monitor every station all the time, and something like a wiimote could easily get lost in the jumble.

Its important to note that the only reason this is an issue is because Nintendo is the only console manufacturer that doesn't offer a wired version of their controller.

S2

Smash Lord
Although its a hassle, I don't think its fair to ban the use of the other control options.

That being said, I think the other controll options are vastly inferior. If someone wants to be put at a disadvantage, then let them.

HiIH

Smash Lord
MJ said:
Well that does sux =/. I learned how to play with Wiimote/Nunchuck JUST so that I can play in tourneys and now I hear this crap? This is great... Why you ask? Because I asked Nintendo employees at Nintendo World on what they think will be the default controls for Brawl tourneys and they said Wiimote and Wiimote/nunchuck.
Your problem was asking people from Nintendo World instead of looking up the standard for other things.

I mean, wireless controllers are generally banned for tournament play for most everygame, just because of interference, synching indivual controllers, and the possibility of tampering with controllers from other wireless thing (probably not going to happen, but could).

There needs to be a standard, and it should be fine (and expected) that the GC one would be the only legal thing.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I don't think this is fair because I switched to mote/chuck and I really enjoy it. I don't feel that it puts me at a disadvantage at all. Besides, syncing takes two secs literally. All you have to do is go to the "names" the screen before the character select and press 1 and 2. You are ready within 5-7 secs with your name that has your button configuration. I changed one button and turned off shake smash and jump tap. Nintendo put it in the game for a reason and I think ppl should respect that.

It is not fair to only allow the Gamecube controller when there are 4 (3 actually) playing styles. I seriously hope this is not the case.
If they don't allow all of these options, then I wish the game only came with one controller style and no custom controls functionality.

I have never been in a tournament but a solution to this would be to register your profile name to all of the Wii's at the same time you register to play in the tourney. Then all you have to do is find your name and use their mote/chuck.

RizardoLawless

Smash Journeyman
I say sync the wiimotes. Most people use a cube controller anyway and its not a big deal to sync. The classic controller is better anyway

shal

Smash Apprentice
that is true, the batteries can run out a battle and even then. When i went to wait for brawl to come out gamestop had a tourny, some dude died and complained his wii-mote werent working and they put him in the finals cause the jerk complained right towards the ending and he won -.-

SeeKay

Smash Rookie
NNID
rati-kun
3DS FC
1349-6611-7266
The only thing I'm concerned about is that many people are now getting used to the Tap Jump disabled setup. Is there anything that can be done about that, or will we have to each input our names in the console?

HiIH

Smash Lord
Kupo said:
I don't think this is fair because I switched to mote/chuck and I really enjoy it. I don't feel that it puts me at a disadvantage at all. Besides, syncing takes two secs literally. All you have to do is go to the "names" the screen before the character select and press 1 and 2. You are ready within 5-7 secs with your name that has your button configuration. I changed one button and turned off shake smash and jump tap. Nintendo put it in the game for a reason and I think ppl should respect that.
Nintendo=\=Tourney standards. Them putting things in doesn't have to be "respected", thats why things like items aren't on

Kupo said:
I have never been in a tournament but a solution to this would be to register your profile name to all of the Wii's at the same time you register to play in the tourney. Then all you have to do is find your name and use their mote/chuck.
This is kind of unrealistic....

One problem is things getting stolen.

Another is people are going to want to use their own controllers....

Plus if the tournament is big enough, you're probably going to have more than one system trying to sync at one time... what happens then? It's going to become an issue is what happens.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Nintendo=\=Tourney standards. Them putting things in doesn't have to be "respected", thats why things like items aren't on
Yea I understand but this is a little different. Your own control style helps you play the game better but items on is a random occurrence that makes the game unfair.

The only tournament I've been to was one hosted by the Gamers club and we had to register an hour before hand. That is the perfect time to input your profile name, before it even starts.

Since gamecube ppl can use their own controllers, I don't see why we can't. As I said, syncing only takes 10 secs. I think they can spare 10 secs. Besides, the majority is going to use GCC anyway so its not like everyone needs to sync.

Just my thoughts.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Last post said:
One problem is things getting stolen.

Another is people are going to want to use their own controllers....

Plus if the tournament is big enough, you're probably going to have more than one system trying to sync at one time... what happens then? It's going to become an issue is what happens.
See above.

hario.hige

Smash Cadet
Bluetooth controllers really don't have sync problems.

I think it's definitely unfair to prevent the other 3 control schemes from being used. Granted, I think that Classic Controllers are the only other legitimate, competitive control scheme, but that's beside the point.

In addition, we have customizable controls now, and I think players should be given that privilege, in spite of some players sticking with default schemes with the GCN controller (which is fine for them) who somehow think that other schemes should be banned for really specious reasons.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
I prefer the gamecube controller (c-stick is a a great advantage) but right now I'm using a wiimote/nunchuck because of a a upcoming local tournament (not a pro/hardcore one)
There really is not that much of a difference between the two if you ask me. Just the c-stick.

Vault Dweller

Smash Apprentice
Why don't you just have two wiimotes sync'd up so that the few random people who use them can just pick up the controller and use it, it won't interfere during the match, and plugging in cube controllers blocks them out anyway. And just on a personal note, I use the wiimote and chuk, and have been playing melee in tourneys since 2003, so to say only new people use them is inaccurate, its a personal preference.

tyrant963

Smash Rookie

I already think I forgot how to play with the GCN controller >_>.
my exact situation...

Jagger02

Smash Apprentice
Just use game cube controller if you want to be part of tournaments.
Yeah... that's a fair conclusion...(sarcasm)

Why should I have to play with a gamecube controller when we're talking about a wii game? It makes no sense.
Little Timmy got a wii and brawl for his 15th birthday. Timmy was thrilled... He had never played any other smash brothers title before this one, and enjoyed playing it sooooo much. Enough to even go on the internet and look for videos on Youtube.com and learn a lot of tricks and tactics... Timmy would always have many friends come over to play with him. After playing the game for about a year Timmy got good enough beat his brother Matthew, his neighbor Azen, and Azen's friend Chillin. Azen and Chillen suggested for Timmy to go to a tournament and see how well he does. So Timmy asks his mom, and after thinking it for a while, she lets him go. So Timmy shows up the following weekend to the tournament and sees so many people that love smash brothers. Timmy was so excited. He payed his 15 dollars to get in the tournament, and is anxiously awaiting his match. His turn comes to play and right before he's gonna click the Sync button on the wii to connect his wii remote, he's told by the crowd that he cannot play with a wii remote and nunchuck... Timmy says "WHAT? why is that?" the crowd call over the tournament heads and have them tell timmy that he cannot play with the "Wii" controller... only a gamecube one, and if unless he got a controller from someone, he'd have to forfeit his match and lose... Timmy is shocked to hear that he's not allowed to play with his controller of choice. Timmy's first tournament is already starting to sound like a nightmare... so he asks around to use a gamecube controller and nobody seems to want to let him borrow it. Adam comes through and generously lets Timmy borrow his controller. So Timmy sits down and starts his match... He feels like he's holding some sort of weird controller and can't even control his character properly. He SD's his 4 lives and loses the tournament. Later that day he arrives home, and is so upset at the fact that he lost for such a stupid reason. The controller that he got good with is banned simply because tournament hosts dont want to take 3 minutes of their time to sync it, even though Timmy payed his entrance fee. After a few days of saving money, Timmy heads out to a few game stores to try and find a gamecube controller, but he couldn't find one. He was told by the all the store clerks that gamecube controllers are no longer being manufactured, therefore they don't sell them anymore. Timmy felt completely bummed out that even though he's good at the game, he can't enter tournaments because of the controller that he plays with. He commited suicide.

Guys... Lets not let this happen....

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
You guys act like it's a big deal getting used to a different controller. Wah wah wah wah.

Also, you WANT to use a wired controller, because someone can purpose mess with your signal and say, make your controller stop working for two seconds. It's entirely possible in a big tournament. It wouldn't be funny to lose because someone in the crowd purposely made you lose.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
It looks like smaller tournaments are allowing all controller types, but larger ones simply don't want to deal with the hassle.

S623

Smash Apprentice
I think it'd be fine if you gave them a time limit for controller setup. I'd go with 1-2 minutes.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
You guys are ****ing morons. Do your research about how bluetooth works before making asinine statements about interference. Bluetooth makes virtually nigh impossible once they're synced and even then tournament hosts could easily have two Wii-Mote's available that are already synced, unless someone who has a decent technical knowledge is using a device to send out a frequency that would disrupt the signal I think people's worry is bull****. Unless someone wants to really take their chances with the side ways Wii-Mote control, there is no reason this accommodation can't be made for Wii controls to be used on a WII game.

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
You guys are ****ing morons. Do your research about how bluetooth works before making asinine statements about interference. Bluetooth makes virtually nigh impossible once they're synced and even then tournament hosts could easily have two Wii-Mote's available that are already synced, unless someone who has a decent technical knowledge is using a device to send out a frequency that would disrupt the signal I think people's worry is bull****. Unless someone wants to really take their chances with the side ways Wii-Mote control, there is no reason this accommodation can't be made for Wii controls to be used on a WII game.
I love you.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
The main problem faced with wireless controllers at tournaments is synching. Luckily, with Bluetooth technology, this makes it a LOT easier for people to synch correctly with appropriate Wiis.

Each Wiimote has it's own encryption based on it'd own ID number. So, cross interference isn't the problem.

So, that really only leaves one thing left. The technical issues. When will you synch? What if there are more than one Wiis synching? etc.

This is how I have decided to handle Wiimotes at my tournaments, assuming I hold any.

Offer suggestions and comments.

Wii-Mote Rule Guide:

1. If you are not playing a game, your battery/battery pack must be removed. The exception is if you're charging a battery pack.

2. Synching will be done in the "Home" menu at the character select screen.

3. At larger tournaments, you will need a signal (I plan on using some type of light or sign) that people are synching.

4. If your battery runs out during a match, it is treated as a pause. (Usually warrants a restart at opponent's choice of map.) If you have no spare batteries, you must immediately produce another controller or forfeit.

5. If you have no spare batteries, you must find a replacement controller before your next match. If you cannot, you will forfeit the match.

That's all I can think of for now, (I was distracted in the middle of this post)

Ereki

Smash Cadet
This is interesting, actually. I apologize for not reading the entire thread, but at the tournament held at I-Con, we weren't permitted to use Gamecube controllers. I believe Aziza said something about the controllers somehow able to be modded beforehand. I highly doubt someone would go to such extremes, but then again, I could be wrong.

We were told to use WiiMotes, but I don't see the problem with them at all, for reasons listed above me in aforementioned posts. The only issue that could be used is the unfamiliarity with people converting over from Melee to Brawl, but that doesn't validate a real excuse.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
This is interesting, actually. I apologize for not reading the entire thread, but at the tournament held at I-Con, we weren't permitted to use Gamecube controllers. I believe Aziza said something about the controllers somehow able to be modded beforehand. I highly doubt someone would go to such extremes, but then again, I could be wrong.

We were told to use WiiMotes, but I don't see the problem with them at all, for reasons listed above me in aforementioned posts. The only issue that could be used is the unfamiliarity with people converting over from Melee to Brawl, but that doesn't validate a real excuse.

Considering the only issue is with keeping people from synching multiple Wiis at the same time, it shouldn't be disallowed. All you need is a signal to stop people from synching. (If someone accidently joins the wii because they aren't following the battery rule, you can just turn that player off and they wouldn't be able to affect the match anyway.)

Synching takes what... 3-5 seconds? Will it really add up that fast? If you're looking at a 64 tournament. It'd be about 95 matches, so we'll say 100 for a little extra time. 100 x 10 seconds / 60 minutes = ~17 minutes.

So, having the option of Wiimotes at tournaments will add 20 minutes time over the course of the tournament. Not that big of a deal imho.

Ereki

Smash Cadet
I think I may have missed something. I apologize for having to continue on about this;

It wasn't an option, it was our only choice, though. Syncing was no problem at the I-Con tournament, as the four Wii stations were spread apart throughout the room. The only issue was the number of people who complained at the lack of using Gamecube controllers. [Which, my post focused on; the actual disregard of them.]

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
I think I may have missed something. I apologize for having to continue on about this;

It wasn't an option, it was our only choice, though. Syncing was no problem at the I-Con tournament, as the four Wii stations were spread apart throughout the room. The only issue was the number of people who complained at the lack of using Gamecube controllers. [Which, my post focused on; the actual disregard of them.]

I was agreeing with you, but I guess I confused myself with Wiimotes and GCC when typing up my respsonse, lol.

I see no problem with any controller or control scheme. However, all controllers are still limited to Un-modded Nintendo controllers. Other than that, there shouldn't be a problem.

Ereki

Smash Cadet
Ah, I understand now, thank you for clarifying.

Yes, again, I agree. I really don't think there would be a problem, now that I think of it, with any controllers, so long as the tournament that's being hosted supplies the controllers themselves.

Top Bottom