• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

game stop midnite tourney info on site.

imabeast78

Smash Apprentice
There are brawl pros already in the U.S. ? hahahahahaha Calm down unless you modded your wii or have a Japanese one then you probably haven't played the game (says thanks to my neighbor for getting it early). That's the whole point of this. Many haven't played this game. Of course it's also a ploy by gamestop and ebgames to get more people to reserve/ buy the game at their stores. A great ploy at that.
Just have fun with this and enjoy it. It's your own little launch party event so if you have a gs or eb in the area I suggest you go and enjoy yourself. It's another way to reward all the patience of the fans out there who have been awaiting this game like no other.

Good luck to all who are participating.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
IDK. I might go just because everyone will be sort of on the same skill level. But, I'd still rather play the game first for a while b4 actually jumping into tourney play not knowing the physics and such.

To be honest, even after seeing this, I'm more looking forward to a melee tourney this friday, lol.

amann78

Smash Rookie
I'll be there. Probably won't make it that far, but should make for some entertainment

entrapment

Smash Apprentice
I called the Gamestop in Davie, Fl and I was told that it would be Brawl ,but they were unsure if it would be starting roster or complete unlock roster. But I was scorn that it was completely open to the public regardless if you were buying the game or not.

D

Deleted member

I'm sure that GameStop will release some official rules of some kind, but these things are still held differently at every store because a lot of managers don't run their stores correctly. I have a feeling many stores will just run the tournament with whatever has been unlocked. If the store get the demos early enough it's possible most things will have been unlocked via vs. matches by the time the tournament rolls around.

bayonettrials

Smash Cadet
I just called my store, apparently there will be a nintendo rep there tourney night, Im so giddy right now im trembling.

She told me to call back mid week next week, thats when everything will be finalized.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
Figures my Gamestop wouldn't bother doing one.
Oh well, I'll just run and get it the next day. My University is having one the next night.

D

Deleted member

I just called my store, apparently there will be a nintendo rep there tourney night, Im so giddy right now im trembling.

She told me to call back mid week next week, thats when everything will be finalized.
I can't imagine they have enough reps to do that at every store so you're pretty lucky. The rep will probably make sure everything goes down as it's supposed to. Maybe only the biggest or nicest stores get a rep?

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
It could be that only stores used in the District matches get them.

Apparently someone at the Clinton store has information, but he's not there and they're waiting for him to call. I'm calling them back at about 1:00, and if they haven't gotten his call by then I'll call back at 4:00.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
Why do you have to be 13 to enter?
You don't have to be over 13 to be good... Its not like you turn 13 and your instantly good at smash. You could be like 9 and have played Melee since a long time and be a master at it. (Like my little cousin)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Hmmm... So I went to my Gamestop (confirmed on the site to be participating) yesterday and none of the workers had any idea about any sort of tournament. They just stared awkwardly. So... I guess it's just early and only the store owner actually knows anything about it so far? I was hoping for details on it but just looked like an idiot.

Wildman94

Smash Apprentice
I emailed gamestop asking about info on the tournament, so i am hoping to get some answers soon!!

Luz

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe this!! We have 3 Gamestops in our town, but not a single one is having a tournament!! I have to drive for an hour to get to the nearest one! Augh!!

red6170

Smash Cadet
even though a lot of people played it already... its still nice to go and enjoy yourself 4 that long a** wait we had to do (lol)... u never kno u might reach farther then u think... i hope i do

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
I doubt that anyone in chico is even worth my time in playing against them... cant say the same for sac though XD, but if it is brawl, i guess it gives people more of a chance to fight against me, but still, I think I'll dominate this chico tournament :D, and my freind will dominate the other chico one...

not worried about the district but the regionals are going to be hard...

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
If you guys want i'll ask my friend if he can make me a sig that says GAMESTOP WINNER! and includes the character you won the tourney as

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
Okay, according to my Gamestop (though they are waiting for word from the district manager) you can't play in a tournament in a store you didn't reserve the game in.

But I doubt this will apply to this one since this is a nationwide tournament,

But I gave you this info just in case it still holds true.

BestCheckedIn

Smash Rookie
I've known about this tournament for a few weeks. It's a Free For All Melee tournament. You will be playing MELEE. Not Brawl.

EDIT: Oh and yes, it is also Timed Matches.

P1azm4 5nak3

Smash Rookie
I just called my gamestop, and they said it will happen on March 3rd, with the SSBB game (demo), around 1-3 pm. They also said the the Wii mote would be used, since no other controllers can be used in the demo version. He wasn't sure of the settings in the game yet. My guess is that it will be timed ffa ): I also want to know when the game demo will be available in the store, cuz I want to practice b4 the tourney.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Bowser only. Very High Items. FFA. Sudden Death Mode.

Yeah, I used Bowser because Pichu's gone from Brawl but yeah, you get my point. I hope...

Sl1th

Smash Apprentice
I just called my gamestop, and they said it will happen on March 3rd, with the SSBB game (demo), around 1-3 pm. They also said the the Wii mote would be used, since no other controllers can be used in the demo version. He wasn't sure of the settings in the game yet. My guess is that it will be timed ffa ): I also want to know when the game demo will be available in the store, cuz I want to practice b4 the tourney.
ugh thats gonna be annoying for tourny play. I have no worries though, everyone at the store ill be goin to will probly be a casual player or little kid ( in other words, easy pickings)

shanus

Smash Hero
i know the gamestop manager in providence told me that only those who preordered there are allowed to compete. find out if you plan on travelling a while to one if you didnt preorder there.

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
yeah i called 2 out of the ten so called "participating" stores and 1 of them didnt know what i was talking about and the other 1 store said its up to the manager and he said no. So there you go!!! gamestop sucks

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
Moore Plaza 5425 SPID Suite #143 Corpus Christi TX 78411 (361) 986-9995
Padre Staples Mall 5488 So Padre Island Drive, Suite 2040 Corpus Christi TX 78411 (361) 993-3775
Northwest Crossing 13605 Northwest Blvd Corpus Christi TX 78410 (361) 767-4187

My stores that are participating! I'm gonna call each one and see which is actually going to have it. It would suck if the store I preordered it in wasn't having it.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
lol.. I live down the street from the East Meadow, NY one. Nothing but scrubs here in East Meadow... guaranteed for the 2nd round *grin

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
Chexr, I assume you'll be at the Roseville, MN (Rosedale Commons) GameStop? I can go to Midway or one of the ones in Woodbury, and hopefully we can all win...the first round, at least.

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
I'm semi-decent at melee. I'm 1st or 2nd best in my high school of 3000 kids. Now obviously I'm no pro, i like to consider myself a competitive casual player. I think i stand a good chance winning the tournament in my hometown considering there are 2 gamestops. So I was wondering, are there any characters with glaring advantages at a casual level? For example in melee, it was obvious to see that sheik was great because of her speed and strong aerials versus other characters when not using advanced techniques. The same can be said for marth. His range alone made him a great character in casual play. I mained peach and was wondering if it would be worth playing her for the tournament, or are there some "casual broken" characters that would suit me better. I also play sheik but she looks not too good in Brawl from what I've seen. I've read character impressions and no charcters seam broken like melee. So can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate it. You can pm me.

D

Deleted member

Wow, my prayers have been answered. Do you guys think they'll let us unlock everyone first?

Anyways, if you're in Lynwood WA, watch out!
I live in Lynnwood. Did you get the game early? I'll probably have four days of play before the tournament...wish I had more. There are a lot of stores getting it here though, which one are you going to? I'll probably avoid it so I can definitely win the store prize (even though I'm pretty confident in my own skills).

littlewolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
littlewolf128
Wow im glad they have 2 in my town. I will be able to go hope to win but not sure how good the smashers are in my town. Any one else in Visalia?

Top Bottom