• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Play and Technical Analysis

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
- oli smashes don't fly off plats anymore
- guaranteed uair into grab for rosalina or korean dj is a wizard
- fox is terrible
- Marth dthrow goes straight down rather than off to the side
- soccer balls hurt even if not lit now, aka weak kb
- villager dash attack pot doesn't always break and can be "thrown"
- greninja's substitute logs stay for a while and can be knocked into foes
- arrow over next pikmin in line so you know which one you're gonn ause
- ground bouncing is real bouncing now aka you don't have a "bouncing animation" and stay on the ground

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
Greninja and Kirby's Final Smashes can lock multiple people in them. This was a big thing I was wondering about.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
Has anyone mentioned that ledge grabbing doesn't cancel the move you are doing like it did in Brawl?

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
The game seems fast "enough". Did anyone notice how when a character is knocked back, it seemed like the speed of it was much slower than any of the 3 previous games? Or is it just me?

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone notice anything weird about Full hop heights? Pretty sure I saw Link in the Celebrity match get almost to the top of the stage with a double jump... Fox and Greninja showed this many times, it's like some permanent Bunny Hood for a lot of them.

Short hop heights were SIGNIFICANTLY shorter, not even close to half height sometimes which is cool I guess.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
So there's been a lot of hype and discussion (especially on Reddit from what I've seen) about PewPewU's landing Uair -> Utilt shenanigans with one example in particular that gets mentioned a lot...

The problem is, when slowed down, we can see WFT get out of hitstun after the 4th hit (and possibly the 1st, but I'm not sure). Apologies for not being able to show a slowed version, I tried. So anyway, is air-dodging a 1 frame action in Melee and/or Brawl? If not, whilst "true combos" may be limited, I think there might be some merit to Smash 4's combo potential.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
The hit stun seems very short, even on light characters like Kirby. Just look at how fast Kirby is able to air dodge after getting hit, and how fast ZSS's followup is yet isn't fast enough

3:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuFl-k-GULk
you mean the dthrow -> uair? that was a really bad whiff on the spacing. that probably would have comboed if dashes weren't so long in ssb4.

there's no way sideb would combo into dash attack ever even with bad di since kirby was at 0%, hitstun is higher with higher percentage/knockback. horizontal stuff won't combo often.

So there's been a lot of hype and discussion (especially on Reddit from what I've seen) about PewPewU's landing Uair -> Utilt shenanigans with one example in particular that gets mentioned a lot...

The problem is, when slowed down, we can see WFT get out of hitstun after the 4th hit (and possibly the 1st, but I'm not sure). Apologies for not being able to show a slowed version, I tried. So anyway, is air-dodging a 1 frame action in Melee and/or Brawl? If not, whilst "true combos" may be limited, I think there might be some merit to Smash 4's combo potential.
it is not 1 frame. there's i think 3/4 frames of startup depending on character in brawl.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The animations for them are instantaneous at the least.

People getting anal about moves not being safe on hit at 0% (i've seen in youtube vids and the like) are very painfully wrong. It's like people forget about crouch cancelling and the fact that most characters can punish you for a non-ff ('sloppy') aerial on hit in melee.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

So not alot of true combos, but many hard to escape ones? Imagine the mindgames.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
- ground bouncing is real bouncing now aka you don't have a "bouncing animation" and stay on the ground
Is it tech-able? And does it happen that the character stays on the ground like and brawl, openning up for a techchase?
I really loved this mechanic and I hope it's coming back.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Is it tech-able? And does it happen that the character stays on the ground like and brawl, openning up for a techchase?
I really loved this mechanic and I hope it's coming back.
As far as I could tell, nobody teched it after the initial bounce. It might not even have been happening on purpose tbh, I can't see why they would change that after it's been the same for three games and nothing was wrong with it omg.

Also went back and noticed Fox's side special doesn't cause helpless, so you can upB after.

Prototype

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I also noticed that the bouncing is crazy during the invitational.

If it's not tech-able, we could possibly see things like:
Mario full-hop F-air spike (opponent stage bounce up) > double-jump F-air spike (another bounce) > Up-B being consistent.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Mii Brawler taunt cancels at the beginning, after Sakurai says they're "almost not even Miis anymore". You can see him start the taunt then dash out of it.

Last edited:

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
As far as I could tell, nobody teched it after the initial bounce. It might not even have been happening on purpose tbh, I can't see why they would change that after it's been the same for three games and nothing was wrong with it omg.

Also went back and noticed Fox's side special doesn't cause helpless, so you can upB after.
Wait, say what? Can you post a link to the video that shows Fox's Side B not causing him to enter helpless state?

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Wait, say what? Can you post a link to the video that shows Fox's Side B not causing him to enter helpless state?
It's true... Saw it on some Youtube vids where Keitaro commentates on the public demo. Should also happen on the PPMD vs HugS Popularity finals!

Found it!

At EXACTLY 1 Minute, Fox SideB's off the stage, then recovers with upB.

Last edited:

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
That's so messed up. Has to be changed before final released. Man, I totally forgot to try for myself earlier today.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Two more GIFs for analysis. Credit to @relaxedexcorcist for the footage.

Marth is looking very swift. His acceleration is lightning fast and he pretty much stops on a dime. Many have noted already that you cannot properly dash dance is the game's current state so that's irrelevant to this. My point is that the way I see it, characters are quite responsive when it comes to dashing.

This one also had me intrigued. It appears that throw followups aren't as farfetched as some claim (Kirby just has bad throws for comboing in this game I guess). Also Sonic's hitboxes look odd. His Uair hits directly to his left (though I guy this kind of makes sense since it's a scissor kick) and his Dair meteors ZSS before he really even moves. It's possible that they're meant to be this way, but it comes across as "unfinished and in need of polish" to me.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Two more GIFs for analysis. Credit to @relaxedexcorcist for the footage.

Marth is looking very swift. His acceleration is lightning fast and he pretty much stops on a dime. Many have noted already that you cannot properly dash dance is the game's current state so that's irrelevant to this. My point is that the way I see it, characters are quite responsive when it comes to dashing.

This one also had me intrigued. It appears that throw followups aren't as farfetched as some claim (Kirby just has bad throws for comboing in this game I guess). Also Sonic's hitboxes look odd. His Uair hits directly to his left (though I guy this kind of makes sense since it's a scissor kick) and his Dair meteors ZSS before he really even moves. It's possible that they're meant to be this way, but it comes across as "unfinished and in need of polish" to me.
Nice observations.

Regarding the 2nd GIF:

Sonic's uair may seem awkward since it's different, but I like it. It makes sense since it's a scissor kick like you mentioned.
Also, he's not hitting ZSS with his dair. ZSS does some aerial and then does either another aerial or a B Special that makes her drop fast (sorry, not familiar with her).

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo

The first hit of Sonic's uair has always comboed into another hit that hits upwards. That's unchanged. And his dair missed, ZSS fastfalled something.

Played with Samus today and her Z-air had a double hit box similar to Link's. Just thought that was interesting.
That's actually always been the case, but the damage difference is negligible. Does it have different KB? Do zairs have landlag?

RODO

Smash Ace
That's actually always been the case, but the damage difference is negligible. Does it have different KB? Do zairs have landlag?
I only remember it being a single hit in brawl but I can say it wasnt as spamable as brawls. Little bit more lag and I think less kb.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I only remember it being a single hit in brawl but I can say it wasnt as spamable as brawls. Little bit more lag and I think less kb.
Oh, there's like a two-hit combo? I thought you just meant there was a tipper. Sounds interesting.

RODO

Smash Ace
Oh, there's like a two-hit combo? I thought you just meant there was a tipper. Sounds interesting.
Precisely that. Hits more like Link's clawshot now so idk how I feel about it. Can confirm Samus's up-B being a kill move. I killed my friend off of the top of the screen fairly easily with it.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
The first hit of Sonic's uair has always comboed into another hit that hits upwards. That's unchanged. And his dair missed, ZSS fastfalled something.
Ah, thanks for the correction. About that Dair though, that's what I thought, but when I slowed the footage the ZSS plummets right as Sonic started the attack; it's uncanny. Oh well, you're probably right. :p

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Did anyone test out whether using Smash attacks on the "c-stick" altered the characters' momentum. In Melee, the c-stick used moves in directions that allowed you to preserve your momentum, i.e. you can use a retreating fair or dair without fearing accidentally fast falling, etc. From my understanding, this was not the case in Brawl, and took away one of the few reasons using the c-stick was actually different, rather than just a preferential decision. Another idiosyncratic trait of the c-stick was that it allowed for uncharged smash attacks so that it comes out frame perfect, without the fear of accidentally charging it, even for a few frames. This is no longer the case in the new game, which is a shame.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Did anyone test out whether using Smash attacks on the "c-stick" altered the characters' momentum. In Melee, the c-stick used moves in directions that allowed you to preserve your momentum, i.e. you can use a retreating fair or dair without fearing accidentally fast falling, etc. From my understanding, this was not the case in Brawl, and took away one of the few reasons using the c-stick was actually different, rather than just a preferential decision. Another idiosyncratic trait of the c-stick was that it allowed for uncharged smash attacks so that it comes out frame perfect, without the fear of accidentally charging it, even for a few frames. This is no longer the case in the new game, which is a shame.
Melee's csticked aerials are the same as Brawl's and SSB4's. There's no momentous difference unless you're doing a dair which IIRC csticking while falling could cause a FF. I'll agree with you on the C-Stick charging smashes though, that's really annoying.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
Here's a neat fox combo from the People's Challenger game. The magic happens at around 4:07. It looks really similar to how a melee combo would look. PPMD might have been able to follow it up after if he had more time/experience with the game.

Last edited:

tyc

Smash Rookie
NNID
tyczynski
He would've definitely been able to link the utilt into fair or maybe even bair for the kill.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Melee's csticked aerials are the same as Brawl's and SSB4's. There's no momentous difference unless you're doing a dair which IIRC csticking while falling could cause a FF. I'll agree with you on the C-Stick charging smashes though, that's really annoying.
Are you sure? I've actually gone and tested this, though not like, as of this moment, when I heard it somewhere else. And it seemed that Brawl's c-stick was the equivalent of inputting a direction and the A button, while Melee's was just inputting the "attack" with no directional input, thereby having no influence on changing your trajectory/momentum of your jump.

EDIT: I might be wrong though. I'm not 100% sure now that it isn't mentioned in the wikis. I'll have to test it one more time.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
This was from the pacman footage sakurai showed.

Focus on mario.
What's happening here? It looks like he's b-airing instantly into another A attack, without any lag.
There were a couple instances in the demo (it was really short) where it seemed like the characters could reduce landing lag by dodging when they hit the ground. Not sure if it worked like that in brawl though, haven't played in a while.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah that looks like a lagless bair into ftilt. Awesome.

Either the Bair was well-timed to avoid landing lag, or aerial landing-lag is better tweaked in this build than the one that was demo'd in store.

xerui

Smash Rookie
Yeah that looks like a lagless bair into ftilt. Awesome.

Either the Bair was well-timed to avoid landing lag, or aerial landing-lag is better tweaked in this build than the one that was demo'd in store.

Landing lag is still definitely present - notice what occurs with Sonic right before Mario makes that jump. Extreme landing lag on his dair - http://www.gfycat.com/MaleFirmIndusriverdolphin

Last edited:
Top Bottom