• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Play and Technical Analysis

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
It has brawls character movesets and animations( for the most part), but speed that leans alot closer to melee. Melee jab-resets seem to be back to, which u can read earlier in this thread. I can see L-canceling go either way.

It looks like Smash 4
I'm hyped

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Looks more like Brawl, with fast rolling/shields, Brawl airdodges, and Brawl's generally more fluid controls. I'd say Brawl + combos is pretty accurate from what we've seen since Wavedashing is as good as dead.
Actually from what I've seen it seems like launch trajectories and fall speed are much closer to Melee's than Brawls. At least from what I can tell.

RODO

Smash Ace
No, but it's doubtful Sakurai would ever bring it back since it spat in the face of the "simpler is better" mentality of Sakurai's.
Even melee is WAYYYYY easier to get into than most fighting games. I think easy to learn and difficult to master is a great mentality for smash. It gives the game more depth and adds more value.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Even melee is WAYYYYY easier to get into than most fighting games. I think easy to learn and difficult to master is a great mentality for smash. It gives the game more depth and adds more value.
L-canceling has nothing to do with skill, just if somebody looked it up. I'm a complete Melee noob without a main who can L-cancel effectively. Any depth coming from L-canceling is just that it allows for more combos, something outright halved lag could easily do. There's more than enough "difficult to master" to go around already, and an extra button press adds as much depth as a empty kiddie pool is deep.

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
So I just noticed that in the Direct, we can see Samus wiggle out of tumble when Rosalina is using her Final Smash. You can see it at about 0:25 here:
http://youtu.be/KrQnewXb2V0?t=24s
EDIT: You can also see Sonic do it at about the same time.
Hey, good find! I think you're right cause I don't think you could do that in Brawl, you could only attack or airdodge out of tumble, but Sonic and Samus just look normal after tumble so they must have wiggled out

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Hey, good find! I think you're right cause I don't think you could do that in Brawl, you could only attack or airdodge out of tumble, but Sonic and Samus just look normal after tumble so they must have wiggled out
You can, you just wiggle the control stick.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
You can, you just wiggle the control stick.
I want to agree with Zetta, my purpose to reply has no other purpose to agree with that screenshot of someone's comment
I hate zelda

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Right now, I'm not believing hitstun cancelling is truly gone until some raw gameplay footage says otherwise. Trying not to keep my hopes too high only for them to be crushed later.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Right now, I'm not believing hitstun cancelling is truly gone until some raw gameplay footage says otherwise. Trying not to keep my hopes too high only for them to be crushed later.
so true. I don't wanna get my hopes up and then end up disappointed.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
so true. I don't wanna get my hopes up and then end up disappointed.
Yep. Looking at the Smash Direct, there was never a moment when a character dodged out of hitstun. They airdogded once the smoke stop spawning and they went into tumble. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's a big coincidence that every single time the airdodge happened after hitstun. Or the people playing could just aren't quick.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Not sure if this is mentioned before, at 21:33. Mario dashdances to juke Olimar. Though I'm not 100% sure he didn't just dash back at the exact frame the dash animation ended. If he did cancel his dash animation by dashing back, it looks like the window to do so was restored to melee status.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I believe there is now a flash indicating when a character enters fastfalling, like 64.

Edit: Ninja'd
Oh, thank you. Since there isn't a flash, I'm guessing he wasn't fastfalling? I'm sorry about this, I don't really have too much knowledge when it comes to this.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Oh, thank you. Since there isn't a flash, I'm guessing he wasn't fastfalling? I'm sorry about this, I don't really have too much knowledge when it comes to this.
That is correct. That's his normal falling speed, which leans closer to Melee than Brawl, if I'm not mistaking. It might not mean a lot for the rest of the cast though. They might be working on falling speed values on a character-to-character basis. I'm fairly certain that Samus too falls a bit faster and that Luigi still retains his absurd floatiness.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
That is correct. That's his normal falling speed, which leans closer to Melee than Brawl, if I'm not mistaking. It might not mean a lot for the rest of the cast though. They might be working on falling speed values on a character-to-character basis. I'm fairly certain that Samus too falls a bit faster and that Luigi still retains his absurd floatiness.
I see. I remember Samus being one of the more floatier characters in Smash, and Luigi does retain his quirky floatiness as well. This is why I can't wait until E3 so more footage can be shown, and things can be analyzed deeper.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
I think its fine for some characters to be floaty like Luigi and Samus. Luigi because he is known for being a high jumper and quite floaty and Samus because she has jet-packs on her suit. But all characters should obviously not be floaty, only the ones that make sense.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I'm just so hyped for all the E3/Best Buy Smashfest footage we're going to get, because you KNOW that everybody there is going to have a camera. Right now, we're pretty lacking on actual gameplay footage, but I bet that after E3, we'll know almost exactly how it compares to Brawl, Melee, and P:M for practically every character.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I think its fine for some characters to be floaty like Luigi and Samus. Luigi because he is known for being a high jumper and quite floaty and Samus because she has jet-packs on her suit. But all characters should obviously not be floaty, only the ones that make sense.
Of course, but I personally would like it a lot if Samus was as floaty as she was in Zero Mission (read: not floaty at all) as that would probably benefit her character a lot. Too bad it's not the case.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
there is one thing that I have noticed though is that fast falling appears to be quite faster in Smash 4 than it was in Brawl. As soon as you see that little spark thingy appear next to a character they drop down pretty quick. Though this is probably just because the overall game speed is faster than Brawl.

I'm just so hyped for all the E3/Best Buy Smashfest footage we're going to get, because you KNOW that everybody there is going to have a camera. Right now, we're pretty lacking on actual gameplay footage, but I bet that after E3, we'll know almost exactly how it compares to Brawl, Melee, and P:M for practically every character.
I just hope people record properly. Like high quality, stable footage and make sure they hold their phones horizontally!

EDIT: Oops, sorry for the double post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
At the moment I don't have alot of time to go through 12 pages but what is DI?
Directional influence. It's the act of influencing your trajectory as soon as you're hit with a move. People use it to get out of combo strings or avoid dying early. For instance, in the case of a vertical killing move, DI-ing to the sides will give you a more diagonal trajectory, reducing the chances of you crossing the vertical blast zone.

EDIT: Ninja'd again. Not my day.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Sorry for bringing this thread up again, but does Link L-Cancel his Uair at about 33:40 in the Smash Direct? I'm watching it over and over, but I'm not sure.

To compare, he also does his Uair around 15:43 in the Direct.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for bringing this thread up again, but does Link L-Cancel his Uair at about 33:40 in the Smash Direct? I'm watching it over and over, but I'm not sure.

I dont know, it's hard to tell. Probably not though. I think it's time to stop watching the direct over and over again hoping to find new info. In a couple days a lot of our questions will be answered. E3 HYPE. Only about 2 days left :grin:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I actually liked Brawl Luigi a lot :D just feels right for Luigi to be all floaty, slippery and awkward.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I actually liked Brawl Luigi a lot :D just feels right for Luigi to be all floaty, slippery and awkward.
I don't remember how he was in 64, but Luigi has always been one of the most floaty characters in any Smash title. Even in Melee, dude was practically flying whenever he jumped. I don't know about how slippery he will be in 4, but I wouldn't be afraid as far as his floatiness is concerned.

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice

I think that may be an auto-cancel, which seems to happen when you hit the ground at a certain part of the move. Look it up on the SmashWiki

RODO

Smash Ace
It means you'll be looking at short combos from weak grounded attacks and maybe a few vertical combos... not much else. Without L-Cancelling or short landlag, you're not gonna have crazy CF knee-knee true combos or anything unfortunately. You probably won't even be able to do nair -> grab with anyone.

Think back to that Little Mac clip where he does an upward attack into upB. That's basically about the extent of the combos the game will have, which is kind of stale but at least a move in the right direction.
I know it's kind of late to bring this up now but when you say landlag are referring to just the lag from landing after a jump or end lag on aerials upon hitting the ground?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I know it's kind of late to bring this up now but when you say landlag are referring to just the lag from landing after a jump or end lag on aerials upon hitting the ground?
Both will contribute, but mostly the latter.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
-sorry for the double post-

footage so far on the e3 stream revealed some new stuff:
- link's boomerang wind causes tumble
- dk has something that looks like an aerial downb, or maybe a new dair?
- boozer nspec is stagnated fireballs instead of the ol' flame

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
-sorry for the double post-

footage so far on the e3 stream revealed some new stuff:
- link's boomerang wind causes tumble
- dk has something that looks like an aerial downb, or maybe a new dair?
- boozer nspec is stagnated fireballs instead of the ol' flame
Actually we see Bowser use the old breath in the end of the smash direct, that was likely a custom move.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
good call. that was the same fireball from the mario clip when they were showing off custom moves.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The mii fighter/amiibo mario gameplay footage showed the Mario landing on the ground and sliding backwards into an up smash.
It's still amiibo/custom fighters... And there's plenty of items and moves with wind effects.
I remember a DACUS looking thing from Link though, probably LONGER then Snake's DACUS.
Dunno, let's atleast wait for the first trailer to be posted before we even start to think there's any old techs yet.

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
I think the DK Hand Slap in Mid-air is probably an upgrade for him with Amiibo and/or customization, because I saw in the April Smash Direct that he has his standard, stomping dair.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I'm going to keep updating this as the Invitational goes on so I don't forget anything.

Watching the invitational, Bowser's Up aerial appears to have much faster startup than previous games, if it's not a new move entirely. Also Mario's forward aerial didn't send his opponent downwards one of the times PewPew used it, return of the Doc punch?

KDJ's Rozalina actually lived a KO Uppercut, so either it isn't an "insta-KO", or Rozalina must be rather heavy.

Kirby's Up Throw look as though it deals significantly more knockback than in Melee and Brawl, KOing ZSS under 100% on the bottom platforms of Battlefield.

Last edited:
Top Bottom