• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
I have no idea who I may use as a secondary. Of course I'll still play characters like Jigglypuff and Link for fun, but I think I'll wait til the Wii U version if anyone catches my eye.

Most characters' pivot grabs are pretty ridiculous compared to their normal one, including Ike. The range is like 1.5x normal grab range.
Seems like they didn't wanna Nerf DDD's pivot grab range, so buffed everyone else up.

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
Haven't played enough bowsers really but I think it will be ok. The rosa match up on the other hand...I've played some good Rosas already and man luma has got some priority and his moves are fast too. Getting in on a campy rosa is pretty tough for ike.

mimicmatter

Smash Cadet
I have no idea who I may use as a secondary. Of course I'll still play characters like Jigglypuff and Link for fun, but I think I'll wait til the Wii U version if anyone catches my eye.

Most characters' pivot grabs are pretty ridiculous compared to their normal one, including Ike. The range is like 1.5x normal grab range.
My secondary will probably be Shulk, I'm really feeling it (giggle... hihihi). Right now I think I'm getting it better than Ike. Of course I want my main to be Ike, but that will take way more work on him.

mimicmatter

Smash Cadet
Haven't played enough bowsers really but I think it will be ok. The rosa match up on the other hand...I've played some good Rosas already and man luma has got some priority and his moves are fast too. Getting in on a campy rosa is pretty tough for ike.
Everyone has a rough time against Rosalina right now! Until we can better find her weakness, she is gonna be a high tier character

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I am uncertain of how often I might use a secondary character, but I am strongly considering adding Shulk to my list of secondaries. After all, both he and Ike are similar in certain ways; they even share the same animation getting hit!

^-^

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I learned that Greninja uses swords, just made out of water. I think I'll be maining Ike and use Link for swords+projectiles and Greninja for swords+speed although not really using them much in tournament unless I find some sort of epiphany with them.

After using aether a bit, I don't even notice the horizontal movement difference. In fact, I think it's pretty close to Brawl in terms of being able to get to the ledge.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
It's also near impossible to hit Ike out of aether when he's spinning. Only way is by using a type of counter.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Sometimes I find myself flicking an imaginary C stick on reaction. Anyone else do the same?

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
Sometimes I find myself flicking an imaginary C stick on reaction. Anyone else do the same?
Trying to retreat fair all the time makes me do that lol! As far as secondaries go...
Shulk I've been using a lot too
Villager if I'm having trouble with ike against projectile users.
Wiifit trainer because she praises the sun!! (Any dark souls fans out there?!?!?)

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Yes, Doing this ALL the damn time. you know how hard it is trying to space aerials perfectly without a Cstick, it's god-damn impossible. My main game plan is ruined!
It's also near impossible to hit Ike out of aether when he's spinning. Only way is by using a type of counter.
Really? I've not been having much trouble with it myself. It's definitely received a buff horizontally, but hitting him out of the top is still easy, he's completely vulnerable when leaping up as always, so throwing out a hitbox (normally a dair) where he's going to be and it's GG. the recovery is telegraphed enough to be able to see this coming too.

so anyway, despite being overall unhappy with whats happened to ike, i find myself enjoying the ******* the most again. So hows it going, new and old ikes? :D

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I actually thought Ike is way better here than Brawl
I don't think he's necessarily worse, If anything he's gone sideways. However all of the nerfs specifically effected the way I play personally, my Waifu F-air got nerfed pretty bad, and Im also pretty sad about the Jab nerf (although its more of a fix, that **** was broken in brawl) because a lot of my game revolved around that, even moreso than most other ikes.

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
I don't think he's necessarily worse, If anything he's gone sideways. However all of the nerfs specifically effected the way I play personally, my Waifu F-air got nerfed pretty bad, and Im also pretty sad about the Jab nerf (although its more of a fix, that **** was broken in brawl) because a lot of my game revolved around that, even moreso than most other ikes.
Honestly I think it's just because I don't have a c stick but so far I really dislike playing ike in the 3ds version :/ a lot of my playstyle as well revolved around a good jab to (insert any follow up). You can't space fair for s*** and it's smaller. His recovery imo actually feels worse horizontally. Also does anyone else have trouble fast falling with the circle pad? I'm trying to SHFF nair and it works 50% of the time. All in all I think I will be much happier once I get a c stick and a good thumb stick.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
His recovery is much better. It makes me second guess switching to his QD2 sometimes since QD1 likes to fly across the stage and it's hilarious. I wasn't feeling Ike too much until my first QD flight and my first nair->fair spam. Now he has a funny pivot grab and an absolutely trolly Aether3 (deals good damage to shields).

This Ike is focused on nair combos and air to ground punishes a lot more, and his throws are overall much better. It's difficult to space because 3DS but fresh aerials do mess up shields well enough. Turnaround jab is also really difficult cause of the large deadzone on the circle pad.

Fastfall timing is a little different since his double jump is higher and he seems more floaty when he doesn't fastfall. Also if you land from an aerial, you can't buffer another aerial, it'll do a tilt instead. You have to delay your jump timing for some reason. The buffering in this game is pretty dumb this time around, buffering some things but not others.

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
The 3DS controls really holds back the character's potential. Once the Wii U version is released, we'll be able to utilize Ike and that potential to the fullest, which would then allow us to finally evolve his metagame. Virtually every other character could expect to see better results as well.

^-^

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Some of the trouble you're having fast falling aerials is due to a change in fast falling. When you start an aerial, it stops your fast fall. You have to do the aerial, THEN start fast falling AGAIN.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
He feels fairly similar to me at the moment, is not slightly more offensively capable while losing some of his neutral game prowess. His recovery is definitely improved due to bigger jumps, being slightly more floaty and having a more horizontally safe aether, but still not great.

I'm interested in what we can do with him customs at the moment. Right now it seems that Eruption is bad no matter what, B2 can be used for edgeguarding and slightly recovery help, and I havent explored B3 yet.

SideB2 seems nice, it's phantasm-esque in its movement and it also clanks with projectiles, which is very much an 'easy mode' method of getting in on a spammy player, while SideB3 reminds me of pits new side-b, both seem more useful than his normal sideB but they both have reduced travel distance.

UpB2 is a beautiful specimen, giving Ike some sort of horizontal recovery. and it also pokes WAY through the stage of those you can 'ride' up towards the ledge. In my opinion this is his best UpB option by a long way. UpB3 is an interesting pick though as its all around much safer and faster, but has the same rigid movement as the original UpB.

DownB2 is REALLY strange, it does next to no damage, but has a paralysis effect to it similar to ZSS dsmash. I think this is our best choice of counter at the moment, as at around 100% or so this nets us a free bair at least, we can probably get more out of it with mroe research. DownB3 is kinda useless though, as unless its a really laggy move, they can just shield the counter.

My current setup is B2, UpB2, DownB2 and SideB2/3 depending on the character

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I'm the opposite. I think I already said it, but a big part of my game with Ike in Brawl revolved around being airborne a lot, so the NAir -> FAir combos and the like in this game have benefited me quite a bit.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Hi there! I'm new to the Ike threads here. I'm hoping get more involved with Smashboards again, and I though I'd start here. I just picked up Ike in SSB4, and he's my favorite and best character. I look forward to getting to know you all, and finding some friends to fight for! :4myfriends:

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
Honestly haven't touched his custom moves at all because I don't feel like they will be tournament viable so I'm staying away from using them. Plus it takes forever to unlock this stuff lol been grinding classic with the trick ninjalink came up with.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
Did you guys know Ike is heavier in this game? He switched weights with Yoshi. Ike now weighs 107 units instead of brawl 104.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Honestly haven't touched his custom moves at all because I don't feel like they will be tournament viable so I'm staying away from using them. Plus it takes forever to unlock this stuff lol been grinding classic with the trick ninjalink came up with.
I think custom moves will be tourney-legal eventually, but until then, I'm not using them as well; I don't want to be spoiled by Aether 2 if I can't use it.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I think custom moves will be tourney-legal eventually, but until then, I'm not using them as well; I don't want to be spoiled by Aether 2 if I can't use it.
Personally, I'd like TO's to ban customization, or have a separate custom bracket. I feel that customization might create an imbalance in the game, especially with the power-ups. I may change my opinion, depending how heavily they affect gameplay balance.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I have a feeling TOs will allow Customs, but not after some testing. It wouldn't be that bad if the really broken ones are banned, while the others are used. I'm mostly saying this as a Palutena secondary who would want use of the customs, though.

Anyways, Ike doesn't feel different to me, to how I play, or it could just be me, not playing Brawl or PM in months to notice a legitimate change that alters how I use Ike, personally.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No logical reason to ban custom moves unless something comes out later where like half of them break the game.

I'm rather doubtful of that. Game is so far much better balanced WITH them legal than without.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
No logical reason to ban custom moves unless something comes out later where like half of them break the game.

I'm rather doubtful of that. Game is so far much better balanced WITH them legal than without.
My problem isn't so much with custom moves, but rather with the stats modifiers and equipment. The custom moves could even help diversify the metagame and give each player an even more unique style. I would still like both to be tested though.

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
As a TO who hosts big things (such at PM at apex)...Yeah, Customs will be legal...EQUIPMENT however, will not. that **** is dumb.

Pretty much all the TO's are thinking custom moves are a good thing, but its unreasonable to expect people to have them all usable this early on

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
My problem isn't so much with custom moves, but rather with the stats modifiers and equipment. The custom moves could even help diversify the metagame and give each player an even more unique style. I would still like both to be tested though.
Pretty sure there is no real concern bout equipment, seeing it can and will be a hassle to manage. Especially if there are a few pieces that have yet to be tested and end up breaking the game for select few characters.
Custom Moves however I don't mind, seeing it's almost akin to Marvels combat styles.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
How does one deal with a Sonic? Too fast for Ike to catch
Play offline.

But for real, play defensively and space your aerials well (Particularly FAir). I think you can grab Sonic out of his rolls too, but I'm not 100% sure if Ike himself can do it.

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
Yello! Ike is one of my favorite characters in FE and Brawl, and he plays like a dream in Sm4sh! After dumping a good amount of hours using him in SP and For Glory, I think he's one of the few veterans that I've really enjoyed using; I'm really hoping to improve my game with him by coming to the Boards!

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
In Brawl, I used mostly jab and nonfastfall nair with a few other attacks sprinkled in.

I'm not sure how competitive Sonic plays this time around, but now QD and counter are both actually usable as well depending on how easily Sonic can cancel his attacks into shield. I wouldn't try spacing fairs against sonic before you get close, maybe not even nairs much with the increased landing lag.

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
To get every custom move unlocked takes forever though...relying on people's setups once the wii u version comes out will be frustrating. Plus if certain customs moves are banned it'll be too much to remember. I'm just a hater I guess lol.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
http://youtu.be/K9nV65xK-yc This is the first for glory match I had, it also happens to be the first online match I had as well. :) It was vs. Pikachu. This is only 1 of many for glory matches I have had since. I have some good Ike vs. Captain Falcon matches I plan to upload soon.

Top Bottom