• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well, it "buffed" Ike by nerfing Diddy, Sheik, and Sonic all in significant ways, and Luigi/Rosalina ever so slightly.

That's most of the common characters right there.

Cool to hear there. Where were these tournaments, and were any of them (the 51 man tournament at least) recorded?

SimplyClutchh

Smash Rookie
The tournaments were held in Alaska. The 51-person tourney had a stream going on for one of the stations, but it got cut off around the last 3-5ish rounds since the tourney ran well over midnight. Unfortunately, the person running the stream also said his memory got corrupted, so he wasn't able to post much to Youtube. We're planning to have an even bigger tourney sometime in June, and I'm pretty sure we'll have a stream and some uploads going on also. I'll try to post some if I get featured.

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
I feel like this was my most hype moment using Ike. Pulling off a combo like this just feels amazing <3

Sorry for potato quality, but this was before the 1.0.6 patch

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I feel like this was my most hype moment using Ike. Pulling off a combo like this just feels amazing <3

Sorry for potato quality, but this was before the 1.0.6 patch
Nice job with the reads and spacing in the match. That first stock was cool. Reminds me of what Ryo did against Street Shark's Sonic.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Owju2Vq5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit#gid=440614687

If this data is accurate, Ike's nair (and other aerials minus dair) is not *that* bad on shield. I think that we just have to space better, get that extra slide when retreating, and land with the hitbox with better timing. Jab1 and dtilt are -10 so both are interchangeable on shield, though jab1 may be slightly better on whiff. I think I've been relying too much on Ike's disjoint and not enough on his range. I feel as though there's a meticulous distance that needs to be kept in order to win spacing wars, whereas before, mostly relying on a sword wall may not be as great as it once was.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Owju2Vq5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit#gid=440614687

If this data is accurate, Ike's nair (and other aerials minus dair) is not *that* bad on shield. I think that we just have to space better, get that extra slide when retreating, and land with the hitbox with better timing. Jab1 and dtilt are -10 so both are interchangeable on shield, though jab1 may be slightly better on whiff. I think I've been relying too much on Ike's disjoint and not enough on his range. I feel as though there's a meticulous distance that needs to be kept in order to win spacing wars, whereas before, mostly relying on a sword wall may not be as great as it once was.
good stuff, did you put this together?

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
I really wanna learn this character more, he's so goddamn cool. Up-smash is so good for reads.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Wassup snitches?! I came to learn all I need to know about Ike the Bairacter.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
This is one of my replays saved from March. For the last stock at the end of the video, how often does this actually happen? Is it just bad DI from the opponent? ^-^

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
So, I'm playing in an online tournament i'm hosting, and there was another Ike player who I was looking forward to facing.

He utterly destroyed me in our Ike ditto match:

Where did I go wrong ;__;

I ended up winning the set though, with a super sloppy ZSS match and then the best performance by Ganondorf I've ever played (despite SDing at the beginning of the match)

I feel like a chump. Getting destroyed by your own main while playing your main just makes you feel like it's time to switch.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
You gave him stage control and jumped into Aether that he was looking for multiple times. The f smash first stock was silly. If you drop down and aether, you get free damage. You're never forced to take Ikes f smash since its so slow.

Please don't QD in neutral also. Its sucsuch a bad option

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
So, I'm playing in an online tournament i'm hosting, and there was another Ike player who I was looking forward to facing.

He utterly destroyed me in our Ike ditto match:

Where did I go wrong ;__;

I ended up winning the set though, with a super sloppy ZSS match and then the best performance by Ganondorf I've ever played (despite SDing at the beginning of the match)

I feel like a chump. Getting destroyed by your own main while playing your main just makes you feel like it's time to switch.
It doesn't look like you used Dtilt or Bair at all. You should see this video of San

Look at the decisions and follow-ups you could do. Look at the neutral, advantage and disadvantage state of the match.
I hope this video covers a lot of your questions.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
You gave him stage control and jumped into Aether that he was looking for multiple times. The f smash first stock was silly. If you drop down and aether, you get free damage. You're never forced to take Ikes f smash since its so slow.

You're right, I made some really silly mistakes and basically put myself in position for all his reads. I was gonna make an excuse that finals week had drained me but my Ganondorf match says otherwise.

I have a bad habit of over-committing to lousy options even when I know they're wrong. I think it's because I don't spend enough time playing good opponents.
It doesn't look like you used Dtilt or Bair at all. You should see this video of San

Look at the decisions and follow-ups you could do. Look at the neutral, advantage and disadvantage state of the match.
I hope this video covers a lot of your questions.
I'm really glad you pointed that out. I was wondering why my offense was so miserable. dtilts and bairs are like my bread and butter in every other matchup. I don't know why I blanked and never pulled them out in this match.

How do you guys deal with Battlefield? I feel like it's such a bad stage for Ike, but after playing these matches, I'm starting to think it's just a bad stage for me. We played some friendlies afterwards, including another Ike ditto on Smashville that was a much closer match. Battlefield is just... tricky for me.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
You're right, I made some really silly mistakes and basically put myself in position for all his reads. I was gonna make an excuse that finals week had drained me but my Ganondorf match says otherwise.

I have a bad habit of over-committing to lousy options even when I know they're wrong. I think it's because I don't spend enough time playing good opponents.

I'm really glad you pointed that out. I was wondering why my offense was so miserable. dtilts and bairs are like my bread and butter in every other matchup. I don't know why I blanked and never pulled them out in this match.

How do you guys deal with Battlefield? I feel like it's such a bad stage for Ike, but after playing these matches, I'm starting to think it's just a bad stage for me. We played some friendlies afterwards, including another Ike ditto on Smashville that was a much closer match. Battlefield is just... tricky for me.
Battlefield used to be "meh" for me, but then I started to learn. I used to approach all the time with Nair and I felt the platforms got in the way of my jumps, but then I used more grounded approaches and using the platforms to dash-off Bair, hitting the opponent on the platform, recovering high on a platform to mix it up, and controlling the stage rather than approaching all the time.
Remember you're not forced to approach so offensively all the time. You can walk, empty hop, or just stand still and wait for your opponent's move in some cases.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I don't think so. It's not terrific, but for a character as slow as Ike it helps with getting places, especially when it comes to chasing down characters that want to camp. I think going in or retreating with FH Quickdraw is usually safer than equivalently rolling for any reason in neutral.

Quickdraw on the ground is a pretty poor option in neutral though. I wouldn't recommend using it on the ground unless you're tech chasing or maybe punishing a landing from afar. Decently charged it does have some coverage.

I like it. The platforms can be both a blessing and a curse. Ike can maneuver around them nicely with his usual movement options, but they can make getting out of juggles a much bigger chore. But that also means our own juggle potential sorta shines on BF.

For the most part I would recommend making use of the platforms where possible, and mix up depending on what feels obvious. D-tilt is pretty great here too. It can force platform interaction.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
FH QD is punishable by almost the entire cast. Ike isn't THAT slow, without a JC QD Isn't workable in neutral

Arrei

Smash Lord
On the ground it can be decent for mindgames since pretty much everyone reflexively shields when they see you use it, giving you an opportunity to jab or grab if you spaced it so you don't actually swing, but they'll probably start shield grabbing it before long.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
FH QD is punishable by almost the entire cast. Ike isn't THAT slow, without a JC QD Isn't workable in neutral
Used blindly, anything is punishable out of a neutral game. Neutral game itself is entirely about commitment from either side, after all.

Though I do believe you got me wrong. Ike can obviously get around fine without QD, but I don't think it's so bad as an option. Just consider it strategy. If you think it's bad strategy, then consider it input like the rest of what I've said. I use the phrase "I think" consciously.

My stance is that Quickdraw can be used to punish certain commitments to great effect. The lack of JC takes away from its utility, yes, but that doesn't eliminate it.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I use Quick Draw in neutral to chase mobile characters that try to whiff punish Ike. I wish it did a little more damage, but it certainly has a place in neutral for establishing presence in midrange.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Quick Draw, while more useful as a recovery, does have niche applications on-stage, and it's pretty amazing when it works. I mainly use it whenever my opponents are launched from one side of the stage to the other.

I like to use it aerially from certain altitudes that enable its auto-cancelling properties. Instant Jab, F-tilt, U-tilt, or Grab upon landing from these heights is always fun. It is especially useful against opponents who are unaware of this.

^-^

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
I use QD as a tech chase sometimes. Sure I can get more reward for using something else but QD can cover a lot of options for that matter. I also use it for suprise movement to catch my opponents offguard and to get in their face.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Hi I have a friend who loves Ike and main him. but his Ike is not one of THE ikes. So he hates reading guides since he say's they do not work and r to much work. If anyone has any easy tips that he can use. Plz he is the only competitive practice that I have without internet.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I'll be looking out for you playing man. I won't be going to anymore events in the near future due to only having off Sundays. Really rough

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
What are the dates for these?

I think I'll be going to GOML in Canada at the end of the month, but that's it.
If you haven't registered for it already, I'd recommend doing that as soon as you can. Registration for Smash 4 singles is close to hitting its cap and doubles has already hit cap.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If you haven't registered for it already, I'd recommend doing that as soon as you can. Registration for Smash 4 singles is close to hitting its cap and doubles has already hit cap.
Thanks! I signed up. Had a lot of stuff going on and missed the Niagara tournament a while back, too.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
He's a defensive spacing character with good power and consistent combos at most percents. His advantage is good due to his damage output but he has trouble in neutral and when he's in disadvantage.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
You mean gameplay wise or personality wise?
gameplay
He's a defensive spacing character with good power and consistent combos at most percents. His advantage is good due to his damage output but he has trouble in neutral and when he's in disadvantage.
Explain more

Last edited:

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII

Also fellow Ike's I'm Power Ranked lol. I'll be climbing the rankings! Kinda low because of my lack of attendance though...

Arrei

Smash Lord
Explain more
In a nutshell, though he possesses many slow attacks that have a considerable amount of startup, endlag, or both, he also has a number of quicker options that he heavily relies on, ones that frequently send his opponent on a trajectory that allows him to follow up with other moves, including true combos at low-mid percents that gave him good damage off of landing a few good hits - for example, a Dtilt to Fair combo for 20% damage. This makes it so he is able to go ham on an opponent when his spacing grants him an opening, but he can also have a hard time getting opponents off of him on account of his numerous slower moves.

LordWilliam1234

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
7820-3654-7995
Nope. All credit to @ LordWilliam1234 LordWilliam1234 . I knew the frame data from Dantarion's numbers, but not for some of the specials and safety on block.
Update on that; I added in Aether's advantage on block, frame data for counter activation, and rough estimates for counter's active window and the invincibility on his spot dodges/rolls. Note though that since I'm frame counting I'm basing the invincibility/counter frames on the character flashing, which may not be 100% accurate but I think is close to it.

Top Bottom