• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For those buying the 3DS Version will you be upgrading to the Wii U version?

For those buying the 3DS Version will you be upgrading to the Wii U version?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Ok, "upgrading"? Cmon now, theyre technically not the same game, but yes I will buy both versions and will continue to use both versions, since each have different stages and at this point, probably different modes.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Getting both Day 1. But once the Wii U version releases then I'll probably only use the 3ds version for mobile Smash.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Easily. Living in a house with three Smash lovers, the Wii U version will be a staple of all of our free time.

However, the 3DS version won't be collecting dust. I live several hours away from home and my Wii U, so I'll be playing the 3DS version a lot when I'm at college.

D

Deleted member

"Upgrading"? You speak like the Wii U version is superior to the 3DS version. Weird.

No, I don't plan to buy the Wii U version when it is out.
True and same. I'll mostly be playing Smash Bros. 3DS.. and besides, I do not have a Wii U, so yeah.

Ozyroth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ozyroth
I'll get the WiiU version only. I don't have a 3DS and smash will be the only game I'm interested for that console, so I won't buy a 3Ds for one game. I rather wait for the WiiU version (physical copy) and a new capture card

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
"Upgrade" implies that the 3DS version will be inferior. I'll buy both versions, but it's not like once I get the Wii U one I'll suddenly disregard my portable version.

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
I will buy both versions, but I wouldn't consider it to be an upgrade.

I see both versions as being their own separate experiences.

Khao

Smash Lord
No, I won't be upgrading.

I will however, get the Wii U version once it's released and play on both at different times. I'd be doing the same if the Wii U version was the one being released first.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
i bought my wiiu for mario kart and smash it would be quite silly if i don't get it as well.
so yeah im getting both just because smash 4 will like have it's strong competitive community located on the wiiu.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Gonna get the 3ds to play the game, but then gonna get the Wii U for the Online play (my dorms dont allow for the 3ds to connect to the wifi there. ;(
Do you have a laptop? You can download something to make your laptop into a wireless hotspot for a 3ds. That's what I did last year in my dorm.

And also, "upgrading" isn't the word I'd use in this situation... I'll own both, and I'll play both. However one is not an upgrade from the other as they are not the same game.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Hmm perhaps I replied too hastily before... Upgrading isn't the right word and I don't intend on abandoning the 3DS version altogether. Especially with more trophies than Brawl on 3DS alone. I just hope there isn't that Trophy Stand item to get all the enemies in Smash Run like they did with the SSE. I hated that...

BelitZ

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1375-7623-2393
Both for sure, anyone that is not planning on getting the Wii U version should seriously reconsider.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Ever since the day I purchased my Wii U, I've known for sure I'd buy both versions, and that's what I'll do. So not upgrading, but purchasing both and playing both at the same time.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I found a discounted as hell Wii U and I'm saving up to get it. Since I have both versions preordered, I can say that I'll buy both.

However, I won't disregard the 3DS version because it has it's unique niche of different modes. And upgrading really feels like the 3DS version will be inferior, which it won't be.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I will be getting the inevitable Smash Wii U bundle.

I'm also a huge Pikmin fan who's been dying to play Pikmin 3. Besides promotional stuff I haven't seen any gameplay of Pikmin 3 so it'll be a fresh and awesome experience after I'm done Smashing for days. :awesome:
I got Mk8 and the free game code, I can sure tell you that Pikmin 3 is a real treat and it's replay value is amazing. I have a 50in tv with 1080p HDMI... It's just beautiful.

zwalk2

Smash Rookie
I've already pre-ordered both versions, but I don't see myself 'upgrading' from the 3DS and just simply playing the Wii U exclusively. The 3DS will provide me entertainment when I'm on long bus/train rides. And considering a lot of my friends don't own a WIi U but have told me they're buying the game, I'll probably be fighting them on the 3DS.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I got Mk8 and the free game code, I can sure tell you that Pikmin 3 is a real treat and it's replay value is amazing. I have a 50in tv with 1080p HDMI... It's just beautiful.
Dang man. You're making me want to go out and get it right now!

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
Dang man. You're making me want to go out and get it right now!
Lol sorry! But seriously, the replay value is nice. Since you're a Pikmin fan it shouldn't come off surprising that you need to collect some type of juice for your planet. This isn't spoiling anything but the names of the fruice you collect are so fuzzy and sound delicious even though they are real fruit types. Lol Every time they got juiced, I'd have my water right next to me and drink it with them. I loved the characters and the game looked AMAZING. You can't watch a video on it because I promise you it won't be the same experience.

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
See I don't know if I could do that. Switching back and fourth between Wii U and 3DS.
You'd be used to the Wii U version then you'll go to the Small screen 3DS! I just couldn't do that xD

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I have both platforms, so I will try to score both versions of the game. Both versions have their high points, such as Smash Run on the 3DS version and the possible gobs of content on the Wii U version. Also, the Wii U version has the GCN adapter. My controllers have seen tons of Smash action already, and they're ready for more.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
See I don't know if I could do that. Switching back and fourth between Wii U and 3DS.
You'd be used to the Wii U version then you'll go to the Small screen 3DS! I just couldn't do that xD
If that were the case then no console owner would ever own a handled.

Cloudx128

Smash Cadet
NNID
CloudX128
3DS FC
2509-1803-0127
Do you have a laptop? You can download something to make your laptop into a wireless hotspot for a 3ds. That's what I did last year in my dorm.

And also, "upgrading" isn't the word I'd use in this situation... I'll own both, and I'll play both. However one is not an upgrade from the other as they are not the same game.
I dont have laptop that can handle that. I do have my phone, but that uses up my data and so im gonna avoid that. My desktop doesnt have a wifi card so it wont work either.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I got the Wii for Brawl and regretted it after I wasn't interested in any other Nintendo games.

Won't make that mistake again. Sticking to 3DS and my PC

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I got the Wii for Brawl and regretted it after I wasn't interested in any other Nintendo games.

Won't make that mistake again. Sticking to 3DS and my PC
What are you interested on by the 3ds then? non nintendo content?!!!!

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I will totally buy both versions. Not even a question for me. Especially since they are months apart.

I like the portability of the 3DS, but I know I'm gonna love Smash HD.

I'm just a broke student, give me a break!
I am intensely familiar with those feels.

Last edited:

Morlock138

Smash Rookie
NNID
Morlock138
3DS FC
2105-8813-5014
I'll be getting both day one. I do wonder how much I'll play the 3ds on after the Wii U Smash comes out.HD TV and a Gamecube controller is hard to beat.
I'm also curious about how many people will settle for just having the 3ds one. That could effect the Wii U sells in general.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I don't consider it "upgrading" considering they're different systems and one's not superior, but yes, I'll be buying and playing the crap out of both versions.

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628
i was going to but i actually sold my wiiu on monday and bought the xbox one madden bundle on tuesday, with the wife and kids at home i wont be able to play smash a lot with buddies, so we all are getting it on the 3ds and our one other buddy who has a wiiu also well since i sold mine is the only one now, will be getting smash bros for the wii u and we will all be going over to his house to play that.. i feel the 3ds version will be enough for me especially with madden and halo master chief collection coming out in november, not to mention pokemon at the end of november, ill only be playing smash casually with friends i think and focusing more on the xbox one

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
i was going to but i actually sold my wiiu on monday and bought the xbox one madden bundle on tuesday, with the wife and kids at home i wont be able to play smash a lot with buddies, so we all are getting it on the 3ds and our one other buddy who has a wiiu also well since i sold mine is the only one now, will be getting smash bros for the wii u and we will all be going over to his house to play that.. i feel the 3ds version will be enough for me especially with madden and halo master chief collection coming out in november, not to mention pokemon at the end of november, ill only be playing smash casually with friends i think and focusing more on the xbox one
Hey man you still have yet to add me back on 3DS.

Doggyfishman

Smash Rookie
I have already pre-ordered both versions. The Wii U one will naturally be played more often but the 3DS one will still be used frequently if I can't play the Wii U one (like if I'm on holiday or someone else is using the Wii U) also Smash Run sounds really fun. The main reason I am getting both is because I don't want to wait anymore than I have to to play this game as I have been waiting for it for so many years.

Top Bottom