• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FLUDD!

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
They can at least have FLUDD shoot Death Water.

Speaking of Death Water, I hope swimming mechanics and drowning returns, I always yell Death Water when somebody falls to drowning.

Callin' it now. The FLUDD's filled with acid.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
MARIO!

Use your Galaxy spin!

I hope it's at least in the A attack set, it makes no sense not to include the Galaxy Spin after seeing two great Mario Galaxy games.

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
My problem with FLUDD is that it's extremely difficult to gimp someone with it.

You're much better off using the Cape.

Increase the knockback and then it'll be more interesting. Forgot the water damage, just make it a normal knockback move, that way Mario can gimp on stage without the risk of dying from ****ty recovery.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I keep thinking: Maybe this will be a placeholder, or Maybe this is part of the customizable aspect of the game--you can choose the FLUDD or Mario Tornado.

I don't know why I'm so down on Mario--he was never one of my main characters in Melee, but it just feels like the apparatus--while a unique concept--took a lot of "umph" out of Nintendo's flagship character.

With all the special power-ups he's had through the years, why go to the well again with FLUDD? Why not a Turtle-suit Mario who can spin like Squirtle? Or a Rock-suit Mario who can attack like Kirby's down-special? Or a Cat-suit...uh, never mind.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
People have a lot of different ideas on it, so here is mine. I use Pit, and if the perfect chance comes, I will use Wings of Icarus to push people back and it is AMAZING when they try to recover. Mario's has so much more potential, cause it actually has a longer lasting and a farther knock back. I really think it's not getting the praise it deserves.
I used F.L.U.D.D. all the time in Brawl. Mindgames with it are hilarious. Glad to see it back.

Nonetheless, I think it'd be awesome if they made it have more uses akin to the nozzle/mode variations of it in Super Mario Sunshine. It'd also give him an even more unique moveset. Like, for example, charge it up normally like in Brawl, and then have it combine with/replace his other specials temporarily until the charge runs out. Click the bold to see pics.

Down B: Charge/immediately release for a short water spurt that does damage like Squirtle's.

Fully Charged Grounded Down B: Squirt Nozzle. Same as usual/Brawl version, with slightly higher knockback/duration.
Fully Charged Aerial Down B: Hover Nozzle. Exactly what it says on the tin - makes Mario hover in place for a short time. Think Jigglypuff's Pound.
Fully Charged Up B: Rocket Nozzle. Shoots Mario upward about 1.5x as much as his standard Up B does. If sweetspotted, does a powerful spike.
Fully Charged Side B: Turbo Nozzle. Takes a bit to charge, similar to many other characters. Mario blasts forward knocking anyone in his way skyward. Iffy on it having a lot of knockback/KO power, as it would make sense but might seem a bit overpowered. I originally imagined it just making people trip unless you hit them as you're just taking off. Obviously can double as a recovery move, which pretty much all of them can lol.
Fully Charged Neutral B: Spin Attack/Jump. Best vid I could find of it on such short notice. Mario spins in place, shooting water with low knockback in every direction. Slows his descent if used while jumping, and doubles as his Spin ability from Super Mario Galaxy.

Honestly doubt we'll see any of this, but I had the idea since pre-Brawl days. Would be cool if they could at least implement in the Hover Nozzle while airborne.
I love this idea, but I think it would be better if it didn't replace his old moves as specials. Even though people might disagree with me, I think it would be better if those all just stay as down specials. How would that work you as? Well, Fox, Falco, and Wolf all have Up B's that you can change the direction of the way it is going by pushing the stick in whatever way you want. So, what you do with Mario (after you charge it), is press down B, and then choose what direction the attack will go, which also changes what the attack is in general.

So, to you and everybody, would you want this idea to be put in or no? Also, Even though Mario's Up B is very iconic to the way he jumps, I would not mind if it gets replaced by a rocket FLUDD as his Up B.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I like this idea. I think it should be able to attack enemies below and to the side. If you hit an enemy on the sied, it knocks them backwards. If you hit an enemy below you with his feet, it knocks them downwards, and makes you jump slightly upwards lie he does when he lands on an enemy in Galaxy. Any thoughts?

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I remember that a fan game called super smash flash 2 had this as Mario's down special. Needless to say, it was an awesome addition.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
if fludd is used in the air, it should be a recovery move while not causing helplessness since his up special recover has always been terrible.
it should function similar to diddy kongs recovery in that it has a spike effect for anyone under the nozzles.

That's a pretty cool idea. I can imagine having the water from the Hover Nozzle doing something like that. I do wonder how much damage a move like that would do though. But I wouldn't exactly call his Super Jump Punch that bad of a recovery move.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
I know a lot of people were dissatisfied with the Flash Liquidizer Ultra Dousing Device in Brawl.
What if Mario instead used a random Mushroom or Suit with his down special?
Like the Bee Mushroom, Tanuki suit, Boo Mushroom, and other items?
What kind would you like to see?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'd rather have the good ol' Tornado back.

Not only because it was significantly better than FLUDD, but because it's a fairly simple move. You really wouldn't expect such a complicated mechanic on who's supposed to be the most basic and straight-forward character in the game.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936

Not only because it was significantly better than FLUDD, but because it's a fairly simple move. You really wouldn't expect such a complicated mechanic on who's supposed to be the most basic and straight-forward character in the game.
This makes sense.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I agree with EddyBearr. Just improve FLUDD. Like making it do damage, but having no hit-stun, like Fox. But I wouldn't mind giving Mario a glide of sorts. Either with the Cape or the Wing Cap.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
We see FLUDD in the game, but will it stay? Who knows, but I think it is a great tool for Mario and for the game in general. First off it can easily mess up a Ness or Lucas if you time the water right. It can mess up any characters recovery, but must be timed very well. That is why I think they need to improve it if they want to keep it. Let it spray more and stay on the character a bit more, so it can be more useful and effective. It can provide mind games when a character decides to use their recovery. They need to be careful otherwise they will loose a stock in the most embarrassing way in Brawl. What do you think? Any more FLUDD lovers out there? Or is it just me? lol

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
I really hated FLUDD when I first played Brawl, but over it grew on me.

I wouldn't mind to see FLUDD return. :bubblebobble:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Seeing as Brawl's ledge mechanics aren't returning, FLUDD's effectiveness should improve significantly. A shorter charging time or no charging time can also improve it.
Also, FLUDD is returning as it was shown in the Mario vs Mega Man match. Although I guess it could have been changed after that match.

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be cool if they replaced Marios current Up B with Hover nozzle FLUDD, but I know that's highly unlikely.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The problem with the FLUDD is that is unnecesary because Mario can use the Cape for that things.
I would love a recovery move with the FLUDD like Hover Nozzle, in the ground it would be the normal FLUDD and in the air it would be the Hover Nozzle.
That sounds perfect for me.

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
We see FLUDD in the game, but will it stay? Who knows, but I think it is a great tool for Mario and for the game in general. First off it can easily mess up a Ness or Lucas if you time the water right. It can mess up any characters recovery, but must be timed very well. That is why I think they need to improve it if they want to keep it. Let it spray more and stay on the character a bit more, so it can be more useful and effective. It can provide mind games when a character decides to use their recovery. They need to be careful otherwise they will loose a stock in the most embarrassing way in Brawl. What do you think? Any more FLUDD lovers out there? Or is it just me? lol
Do you think his recovery will still be poo poo?

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Honestly I dont have too much of a problem with his recovery in brawl. Its better with the side b cape to help him move more horizontal and its quick. I would like to see it get more buffed and give it more vertical recovery.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Alternate nozzles would be nice, but just letting it spray for a longer duration and making it easier to aim is alright for me.
If they did use the other nozzles, I think it should let him hover if it's used in midair, but if it's used on the ground, it should be normal if you tap Down-B, but if you hold Down-B, shoot him straight up into the air. I haven't played Sunshine but I think there's a nozzle that quickly propels you straight up.
I know (and by know I mean am fairly certain) that there's one that propels you forward and lets you dash about.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Alternate nozzles would be nice, but just letting it spray for a longer duration and making it easier to aim is alright for me.
If they did use the other nozzles, I think it should let him hover if it's used in midair, but if it's used on the ground, it should be normal if you tap Down-B, but if you hold Down-B, shoot him straight up into the air. I haven't played Sunshine but I think there's a nozzle that quickly propels you straight up.
I know (and by know I mean am fairly certain) that there's one that propels you forward and lets you dash about.
Yes. There is one for squirting water, one for hovering, one for being propelled up and one for dashing.

Hoboman5000

Smash Cadet
I for one really didn't like fludd, it just was straight utility, but if it was the galaxy spin, that could be used for more combat AND utility, and possibly some combo setups.

Hoboman5000

Smash Cadet
Who needs FLUDD when you have his amazing cape? If anything he should keep his old down B from before for the recovery options, and if they made it glide farther across the stage like luigis.

Hoboman5000

Smash Cadet
I think that making a suit change for his down b would be amazing, however I think that he'd be a main utility character because of it, I do think that maybe it'd be better if perhaps their were items that were the suits/hats that did different effects.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Who needs FLUDD when you have his amazing cape? If anything he should keep his old down B from before for the recovery options, and if they made it glide farther across the stage like luigis.

Yeah, I use the Tornado move in Melee and Project M. It works great with recovery and as a nice mixup for Mario's combo game. If it's not broken, then don't fix it. While the FLUDD was somewhat useful in Brawl, it really didn't help as much for his recovery options. If the Brawl ledge grabbing doesn't make its return as well as more push from the FLUDD to help with edgeguarding and recovery, then I might reconsider its place for Mario's game. In Brawl, it was one of the reasons why he isn't thought very highly of.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
It's also kind of pointless because another character, Squirtle, has a far better and more useful version of it.

Really, the FLUDD isn't so bad, but considering it's a strictly occasional weapon that replaces a multi-use versitle technique, you can see where all the hate comes from.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
FLUDD could use a few improvements. Here's what I would do personally.

1) Let it do some damage. I seriously want this the most. I would have more of an incentive to use this attack, and I'm sure others would too. But when it does damage, Mario doesn't make the enemy flinch. Much like Fox's blaster. And the opponent isn't ringed out, at least you can say that you got some damage in on them.

2) Fix the charge time. It shouldn't take so long to use the move. If anything, have it work like Bowser's Flamethrower. Where Mario shoots water as long as Down + B is held. But it looses power if you hold it too long. This would be ideal to me as that's how FLUDD works in Mario Sunshine. Mario holds down the nozzle, and water shooting out until it slowly putters out.

3) Move knockback. Given that this move's main purpose is to push the enemy away, it would make things easier for FLUDD if the push back felt a little more significant.

Hover Nozzle: Someone mentioned giving it some kind of air recovery option. I think that would be interesting. We don't have that many moves that change when used in the air do we? On top of acting as a recovery option, maybe if the enemy touches the water of the hover nozzle, they take damage and are pushed downward.

LazerRage

Smash Cadet
I am the type of Smasher that cares more about the big picture, how the character can best represent a series or franchise from which it hails. So to me, the return of FLUDD is a disappointment. Mario Sunshine was NOT his best game by far.

It would've been way cooler to have a down-special like a green-pipe teleport move. Or just keep Mario's first down special- the cyclone spin attack- because at least THAT was of some use, whereas FLUDD is hardly ever useful.

In fact, FLUDD just felt like a lame attempt to make Mario current in Brawl, so why is it back when there is literally ANYTHING from Mario's history that is better- Cat suit, Tanooki suit, he could drive forward in a kart for a short distance, Bee Suit, Ice Flower.... these are all more recent items and I just pulled those ideas out of my head without trying.

OR BETTER YET!! Make use of another classic power-up, like the Raccoon-tail spin attack from Super Mario Bros 3 (NES- classic!) & Super Mario 3D Land (3DS- so current!) What a better way to make Mario a fun, useful, and relevant character?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I always felt that his Side-B should be reskinned as the Tanooki Tail; while I personally prefer the Cape Feather, it's not been relevant since Super Mario World.

Down-B should be something not completely stupid, and actually Mario-y. The Mario character in this game is so "balanced" that he's boring. There's nothing interesting about him.

Ultimate Sneeze

Smash Apprentice
Here's an idea: Have F.L.U.D.D charge work as a move-set changer with three(?) charges.

Neutral B is now the Brawl water stream that can push people back. Perhaps it can produce aerial momentum for Mario as well, if he uses it ungrounded.
Side B is now the dash nozzle(?). Mario charges for a short while, and then dashes forward, dealing damage to anyone caught in the path. Collision will, however, knock Mario backwards, just like in the games.
Up B is now the rocket nozzle. Again, it has to be charged for a short while, but then it can be released for a significant vertical boost that deals good damage.
Down B would be a cancellation of the charges so that your regular special moves are returned.

I think that multiple charges is important because in the game, you can use the rocket jump something like 3 times, if I remember correctly. Of course, this would have to be balanced, but the concept is out there now.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

They should add back the tornado, and have it work the same, but make it look like Mario's spin attack from Galaxy. And then give Luigi the Poltergust :)

Top Bottom