• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Floaty Purposes [MEWTWO GENERAL]

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
So I've been under a rock with no internet for a couple weeks, and this is a pleasant surprise for a welcome back lol. I'm very impressed by what the pmbr, and anyone else that has worked on this, has accomplished. His animations look amazing, the model looks fantastic, and the additions to his gameplay look amazing. I mean a jab that isn't garbage, a side b that nets me something offensively, a faster shadow ball, and oh my glob a float! That being said, I have a bit of constructive criticism on the matter. Please don't see this as some childish rant on what you're doing wrong, and that my opinion is how it has to be, that would be incredibly disrespectful to everyone that worked on mewtwo, and it would also be very unbecoming of me. Anyway enough of that, one of my concerns with mewtwo was brought up with this post:
The teleport stuff is going to get real annoying very quickly, unless he's more vulnerable/laggy coming out of it than we thought. I really don't like the idea of being able to act immediately out of it, that's a neutral game tool he probably shouldn't have. We'll see what it really looks like once it's out I guess

"but to be able to cancel such a quick invincible recovery move with what looks like literally no lag could cause serious balance problems."

That's my concern onstage
I agree with this completely, the move already was a good movement/recovery option because of the distance he covered, and how little landing lag it had if done properly. Mewtwo's other forms of movement are pretty good/safe, with the third best wavedash from melee and the longest roll in game, probably in pm as well. Giving his up b even more safety, while having insane offensive capabilities is imo, a bit much, and in combination with all the other additions to his gameplay makes it even better, so how balanced he'll be relative to the rest of the cast maybe questionable. Its cool to watch, I'll say that, but I don't think its addition is necessary.

On a side note, I'm curious as to how much bigger the hitbox to fair is. I'm also curious to his smashes too, as I recall not seeing his fsmash or down smash in the video.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dsmash looked exactly the same. ****ty Hitbox included

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Pretty sure it actually only lasted on frame, like his terribad jab and fsmash
but lets not talk about melee mewtwo, now the healing can start

disregard this, it's actually 2 frames for both smashes
still really bad tho

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Also the interior sweetspot of D-smash was souped up -- didn't really do much of anything in Melee, now it actually has higher DMG / KB.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I agree, fair needs to be bigger, but not to a point where you have to think less in its use. I'm extremely excited for this btw. I mean, the biggest reason why I stopped playing melee was because mewtwo was so frustratingly hard to get good with and stay good with...

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I still wish that mewtwo's usmash and been changed from utter **** to an utterly amazing overhead anti- air/platform version of peach's dsmash
just imagine, the galaxy grinder

Not that it's not good as it is, I have no idea what it's like, but it doesn't seem to do that
That move is just way too cool to be mediocre or just decent

I can hear it now, fox's pleasing screams of GAH-GAH-GAH-GAH-GWAAAAGH as he gets caught up in the vortex just like how he gets caught in peach's dress

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
I would probably be willing to bet that people guessing Mewtwo will come out over-powered due to moves like teleport are going to be taking back their words once they play as him or against him. If Mewtwo had a fair like Marth or a Nair like Fox then yes, I would agree the teleport would probably be overpowered. But we're talking about buffed versions of Mewtwo's moves in Melee. This means that while he ins't sucktastic at approaching like Melee Mewtwo, PM Mewtwo will still have to finesse his way in, which is less "broken" then Marth fair or Fox nair any day. Plus, practically every PMBR member has stated that Mewtwo has a high skill floor (Which makes me happy). This means that he'll be more like Lucario instead of Falco in terms of being able to use him effectively.

Rick Rockmann

Smash Cadet
So that taunt where he curls up and floats should totally be holdable indefinitely like Diddy Kong's juggling.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
All I care about is Shiny Mewtwo tbh

I guess the Armour guy is cool

But as long as my Green Buddy is in I'm fine

Also if I ever refer to Shiny Mewtwo as "my Green Buddy" again, please punch me in the face.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
If you're facing left, and you teleport right, do you arrive at the new location facing left or right?

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
If you're facing left, and you teleport right, do you arrive at the new location facing left or right?
If it's the same as in Melee, you can actually decide that. After you input the direction of teleport, you can then decide which way you're facing.

eg: you're facing away from the stage while recovering, teleport straight up, but at the end of teleport you input towards the stage, you'll be facing towards the stage and can grab the ledge.

This may only work when going straight up or down, and when going sideways you may actually just be facing the direction you went, I never really tested how it works in any scenarios other than what I mentioned above.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I just hope that they don't go overboard with him, like make some of his hitboxes/grabbox way too big. I mean some of them need to bigger and stuff, but I hope they don't make them too ridiculous.

Rikana

Smash Champion
You have to be quick enough to face the other way. In other words, you can teleport to the right but face the left.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Edit: Rikana! Thanks, that's perfect!

TY Shiny Mewtwo aka Jillysir (terrible name btw haha)

I want to Teleport forward at a bit of an upward angle > turn around Hover moving backward > N-air the back-top of their shield and HC F-air them to shield-poke while landing behind them...

So many things I want to do with this silly character!

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
where are these alternate costumes?

also Mewtwo's grab range should have been buffed. in Melee Jiggs has a better grab range... that's right, according to melee, a balloon pokemon that barely has any arms has a better reach than a ****ing telekinetic cat with fairly long arms.

as said before, a useful fsmash with kill power would be nice; it still looked weak as heck in the announcement video

glad to hear that dsmash got a buff

hopefully it'll feel like you're playing "the world's most powerful pokemon"

EDIT: saw the turbo video, the armor costume looks cool. though the big question for me is what was Pokemon Trainer doing in there? O.o

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Disable only works on front-facing enemies, right? RIGHT?!

EDIT: Is it me, or his Dair animation is different? IIRC, in Melee, Mewtwo spun in the opposite way, hitting with the foot.

Kati

Smash Lord
Disable only works on front-facing enemies, right? RIGHT?!

EDIT: Is it me, or his Dair animation is different? IIRC, in Melee, Mewtwo spun in the opposite way, hitting with the foot.
A stream demonstrated that using confusion on an enemy looking the other way works. It also turns them around to face Mewtwo while they are dazed. But I suppose that everything we have seen in streams is a test build.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Fsmash is a great move due to its disjoint -- its KB is ok but not what makes it shine.

Yes hover canceling nair does skip the landing hit, although this can actually be pretty useful.

Dair animation is a little different but he still spins the same way and kicks win the same foot. We just tucked his non-attacking leg and tail out of the hit path so that it's easier to tell what's going on in the animation.

Mewtwo's priority is generally better due to a combination of things
-his hurt boxes are actually tied to his tail properly as previously discussed
-his hitboxes are active earlier and later in the tail attacks, also covering it better
-fair is significantly more disjointed and larger, nair is also slightly larger
-faster shadow ball delivery boosts his effective disjoint

I'm not totally sure about jiggz having more grab range I'll have to look at that bu Mewtwo's JC grab is certainly better.

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
I sure hope so. what I saw on the stream didn't impress me all that much. his priority still seems shot =\
Well, Mewtwo has always been a hard character to use, especially when getting in. What it seems they did was they gave him more ways to get in, but still ways that require reads and creativity. This means that non-Mewtwo mains that play him on stream will make the character seem weaker than he is.

Plus, his Punish game has significantly improved over Melee, and his edgeguarding looks super incredible now just due to the better bair and the hover mechanic (Which can let him do Peach-like edgeguards).

Nguz95

Smash Lord
His new bair looks like it's so much stronger. I can tell it's going to be a game changer. Mewtwo won't have to go deep and commit as hard to get KOs with his bair. Although his hover only lasts a second, you can still edgeguard with it. You need to be careful though, you don't want to be causght far away from the edge without a jump. I still feel like his new and improved ftilt is going to get the job done better.

One thing I think is important to talk about is his ability to deal with characters that can attack from directly above and in front of Mewtwo. In Melee this was Mewtwo's weakest point, and I think it's important to think hard about it now that Mewtwo is being worked on. From what I can see his utilt covers that area very well. His tail is huge, and the move is quick enough that it appears to cover most of his weak spot. However, I still think Mewtwo is going to have troubles against Puff bairs and Peaching falling fairs. How this new and improved Mewtwo will handle these moves (and others like it) will be instrumental to his success.

Top Bottom