• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Footage of Roy and Ryu Found In Leak!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
From what I've seen, Roy's animations are definitely different and Ryu looks pretty interesting to use.

I'm not really sure how anyone could be disappointed with the announcement; my biggest issue with it is that Roy's range looks downright terrible.
That was always his deal, though: hits hardest with the hilt (for as little sense as it makes).

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
idk how i feel about seeing ryu it just annoys me to hard i ean i don't want him in it soooo much

Bwill3002

Smash Rookie
NNID
BMW_Spiderman
I bet there nintendo is pisst, I bet there gonna have to show off two new characters (wolf and young link like he is in Hyrule warriors, or someone from the ballot)

link2702

Smash Champion
for those who haven't noticed it....ryu i believe has 2 types of tilts, now how they function is still a mystery, but in both the trailer, and the stream that has shown ryu gameplay, he has 3 different A attack moves he can use while crouched.

Perhaps its based on how long you hold the a button? or perhaps it deals with whether you were already tilting the control stick in the direction first on whether you do the weak hit or strong one, and the strong one is doing a tilt slower then a smash attack, but quicker then just holding the stick in that direction.

regardless ryu is going to be a very...."unique" character if he has more 2 tilts on every direction.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To be honest, I'm pretty mad about this. We did not need a freaking THIRD Marth and Fire Emblem is not even close to deserving FIVE reps.

I'm not happy about Ryu either. I'm against the idea of third-party characters in Smash in the first place, and why does Capcom get two characters? Four third-party characters is just way too much.
Even if they upped it to five and say, Snake got readded, that'd be five in a roster of over fifty. Less than 10% of the roster isn't something to have a conniption over.

Zapster

Smash Apprentice
Well, I mean, yellow Mario was always a thing.... Daisy color came too late to be first.
Read the details bro. Did "yellow Mario" have a W instead of an M? No he didn't. My point was that the Daisy palette swap was the FIRST representing another character that actually had subtle details altered. F example, her gems were surrounded with her trademark flower decorations, her dresss was totally recolored and had different designs, shorter sleeves, tanner skin...

Did any other the 64 roster have anything imcomparable??? If you think so please prove it.

I wish I had a protection amulet against stupidity. Please actually read what I say before making unintelligible responsesz that's the second guy trying to disprove what I know to be true because they failed to read carefully

LuLLo

Smash Ace
To be honest, I'm pretty mad about this. We did not need a freaking THIRD Marth and Fire Emblem is not even close to deserving FIVE reps.

I'm not happy about Ryu either. I'm against the idea of third-party characters in Smash in the first place, and why does Capcom get two characters? Four third-party characters is just way too much.
Bruh, are you literally MAD that a video game gets revamped veteran fighters as DLC? That is just whining man. Also why are you against third party characters? Why is the exact number 4 too much? We get additional content (which you don't HAVE to aquire) and all you can do is whine about it.

Zapster

Smash Apprentice
Also since we're bringing clones back from Melee could we PLEASE get the best one?

Ok seriously through if they made pitchy a legit character capable of gliding after his up b or something I wouldn't be opposed! Of course I main Zelda so sweets potting the little **** would cause several migraines

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
FAAAAAAAAAAKE
lol jk
But that's awesome that Roy got into Smash 4. I don't care much for Ryu :p

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
So, someone on Twitch has been uploading footage of Roy, Ryu, and Lucas being played. I'm sure many of you already know this but I'm gonna discuss this here for those of you who don't.

Roy seems incredibly different from before. If you were all just thinking he'd be lifted from Melee, you were proved wrong the instant we saw renders.

Sakurai said he purposely made Roy bad in Melee because he was inexperienced. In the new renders, Roy looks much older, so we can only assume he's gotten much better and has grown.

During the gameplay, we saw some similarities to Marth. Yes, the base gameplay and moveset are based on Marth to a great extent, but Roy has been differentiated to the extent of Wolf or even Luigi (in my opinion).

Some of the tilts are the same, the throws are the same edit: I've been told Roy's throws are better than Marth's, but his up B has been changed a bit. It looks like it's closer to the PM up B than the Melee up B. Neutral B is still OHKO Flare Blade.

His fsmash is new, his usmash has new properties, dsmash looks close to Marth but isn't identical. Double Edge Dance is no longer a direct copy of Dancing Blade.

Roy is also much faster and generally more agile than before. His moves come out quicker than ever, and he's been transformed into a dash and slash sort of character, it seems.

He's no longer "fire Marth". Sure, he's close, but I'd still maintain that he's as different from Marth now as Lucas was from Ness in Brawl. Maybe more.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:

Thank you Warchamp.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Honestly Ryu looks like a low-mid tier, and Roy looks mid tier, maybe high tier
Roy? High-tier? lol I've seen the gameplay as well he is most certainly NOT high tier not even mid-tier in my opinion he looks pretty bad if you ask me

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Roy? High-tier? lol I've seen the gameplay as well he is most certainly NOT high tier not even mid-tier in my opinion he looks pretty bad if you ask me
Check out ZeRo's twitter he's getting good feelings off of Roy but idk the character isn't even out yet. Can we wait before making statements of character placings?

https://twitter.com/ZeRoSSB

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, I still have the day off tomorrow to watch the Smash Bros. stream so I'm definitely looking forward to it. I'm definitely buying :4feroy: and :4ryu: just to expand the content to the game.

...oh...and :4lucas:, too. I nearly forgot about him. Ha!

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
So does this also mean we will get one more character reveal tomorrow?
Possiblities:

- Ice Climbers only for Wii U(because lagged on 3DS)
- Wolf
- Squirtle
- Ivysaur(please!)
- Crash Bandicoot (nope, activision won't let this happen)
- Shantae (???)
- Rayman (VERY HIGH POSSIBILITY)
- Bomberman (?)
- Snake (IWANT!)
- Chun Li(maybe)
- King K Rool (IWANT!)
- Ristar (imao no :3)
- Nights/Billy Hatcher/Amigo/any sega character who appeared on any nintendo console (maybe)
- Geno (stop dreaming, never will happen)
- Magolor (BEST VILLAIN EVAR(btw we dunno if he's not dead, just dissapeared after return to dreamland, btw appeared in 100% extra video)
- Eggman (pingas)
- Some obscure nintendo character

RayStrYke

Smash Apprentice
Possiblities:

- Wolf
- Squirtle
- Ivysaur(please!)
- Shantae (???)
- Bomberman (?)
- Snake (IWANT!)
- Chun Li(maybe)
- King K Rool (IWANT!)
- Nights/Billy Hatcher/Amigo/any sega character who appeared on any nintendo console (maybe)
- Magolor (BEST VILLAIN EVAR(btw we dunno if he's not dead, just dissapeared after return to dreamland, btw appeared in 100% extra video)
- Eggman (pingas)
Strongly agree with Rayman

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
So, someone on Twitch has been uploading footage of Roy, Ryu, and Lucas being played. I'm sure many of you already know this but I'm gonna discuss this here for those of you who don't.

Roy seems incredibly different from before. If you were all just thinking he'd be lifted from Melee, you were proved wrong the instant we saw renders.

Sakurai said he purposely made Roy bad in Melee because he was inexperienced. In the new renders, Roy looks much older, so we can only assume he's gotten much better and has grown.

During the gameplay, we saw some similarities to Marth. Yes, the base gameplay and moveset are based on Marth to a great extent, but Roy has been differentiated to the extent of Wolf or even Luigi (in my opinion).

Some of the tilts are the same, the throws are the same edit: I've been told Roy's throws are better than Marth's, but his up B has been changed a bit. It looks like it's closer to the PM up B than the Melee up B. Neutral B is still OHKO Flare Blade.

His fsmash is new, his usmash has new properties, dsmash looks close to Marth but isn't identical. Double Edge Dance is no longer a direct copy of Dancing Blade.

Roy is also much faster and generally more agile than before. His moves come out quicker than ever, and he's been transformed into a dash and slash sort of character, it seems.

He's no longer "fire Marth". Sure, he's close, but I'd still maintain that he's as different from Marth now as Lucas was from Ness in Brawl. Maybe more.
Wait, Sakurai actually said he purposefully made Roy bad in Melee because he (Roy or Sakurai?) was inexperienced?

Where did you hear this information from? Are there actual interviews we can look at?

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Possiblities:

- Wolf
- Squirtle
- Ivysaur(please!)
- Shantae (???)
- Bomberman (?)
- Snake (IWANT!)
- Chun Li(maybe)
- King K Rool (IWANT!)
- Eggman (pingas)
Please Please Please K.Rool! I would forget about Roy if he showed up! Still holding out hope against hope for my main man though. #SpacePiratesNeverFalter #Ridley4DLC

42rockjock

Smash Cadet
The difference between swordsman and fist fighters is that fist fighting can actually offer unique move sets, you can only slash so many ways.
Even if you can only slash so many ways, none of the swordsmen play nothing alike anyways and it's not like marth and lucina use fire as a way to attack people.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
Well, enough, that was enough to make Sm4sh no longer my favorite Smash.... if Ryu really turns out to be in the game, I will go back to playing some real Smash that is the way Smash was really envisioned to be.... the "Nintendo fighter", not the "Hey, there is this popular character from that fighting franchise that has nothing to do with us and comes from a company that don't give a crap about us and are skipping the Wii U with yet another game now, our beloved RE0 btw.... let's put him in!!!!"....
stop being a baby

Top Bottom