• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIF Presents: First Rochester, NY Brawl Tournament - Rochester, NY - Mar 22, 08

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Rochester's First Brawl!

This will hopefully be the first big Brawl tournament of Western New York (that we aren't hiding that is LOL). It's time to break out those wii-motes w/ nunchucks (LOL) and show us your moves!

Chambers Screening Room
University of Rochester
Wilson Boulevard
Rochester, New York 14627
http://www.rochester.edu/maps/river_campus/index.html

Phone: 317.753.5476
Email: aaburabi@mail.rochester.edu
Aim: Xiivi

Schedule:

Saturday, March 22nd

10:00 A.M. - 11:00 A.M.
Registration/Free Play/Set-up
11:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M.
Singles Start
12:00 P.M. - 1:00 P.M.
Lunch break and free play
1:00 P.M. - X:00 P.M.
Singles Wrap-Up
X:00 P.M. - 7:30 P.M.
Teams/Free Play

Entry Fees:

Singles - $10 per person
Teams - $20 per team / $10 per teammate

Prizes:

First Place - 60%
Second Place - 30%
Third Place - 10%

Prizes apply to both singles and teams brackets.

The more people come, the bigger the pot will grow! Of course, the title is what's most important!

Rules:

Singles

Format:

- Double elimination.

Match Rules:

- All matches are best-of-three. Winner's Finals and Loser's Finals are best-of-five.
- Players meeting twice in tournament play will expand their previous set to a best-of-eleven continuation.
- The Grand Finals set will be two best-of-five sets. Grand Finals will not be a continuation set.
- All matches are three stock with a seven minute time limit.
- Sudden Death will not be played. Ties are broken by percentage. If percentages are equal, then sudden death will be played.
- Items will be OFF.

Stage Selection:

- After characters are chosen for the first match, both players can knock out one stage for the duration of the set. Random select stages can be knocked out. Stages knocked out do not carry over to continuation sets.
- Unless all players can agree on a stage, the first stage of a regular set will be randomly selected. If the set is a best-of-eleven continuation, the loser of the first set may pick the first stage at the beginning of the continuation set.
- After each match, the loser of the match can counterpick with a legal stage or elect to go random before characters are chosen.
- Stages cannot be played twice unless the current set is a best-of-eleven continuation. The only stages that can be played twice during continuation sets are random stages.
- All players have one reset per set. Resets may only be used on randomly selected stages during the first five seconds of play. The stage cannot be played again when randomly selected, but is still available for counterpicking.
-If two players agree on a banned stage, then they can feel free to play on it.

Character Selection:

- A double blind pick may be called at any time during any set.
- After each match, the loser may pick the next stage (or go random). After this decision is made, the winner of the previous match may change characters. Afterwards, the loser of the previous match may change characters.
- Characters may not be changed after a reset is called. Once characters are chosen, the decision is in effect until the end of the match.

Teams

Format:

- Double elimination.

Special Team Rules:
- Team Attack is ON.
- Life stealing is allowed.

All other rules that apply to singles apply to teams as well.

Stage Listing

Singles

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium - Melee
Delfino Plaza

Counterpicks:

Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Jungle Japes - Melee
Corneria - Melee
Rainbow Cruise - Melee
Green Greens - Melee
Brinstar - Melee

Banned:

Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Pokemon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
WarioWare, Inc.
Distant Planet
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Pictochat
Hanenbow
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Temple - Melee
Yoshi's Island - Melee
Onett - Melee
Big Blue - Melee

Teams

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium - Melee
Rainbow Cruise - Melee
Delfino Plaza

Counterpicks:

Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Pictochat
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes - Melee
Corneria - Melee
Green Greens - Melee
Brinstar - Melee

Banned:

Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Pokemon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
WarioWare, Inc.
Distant Planet
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Shadow Moses Island
Temple - Melee
Yoshi's Island - Melee
Onett - Melee
Big Blue - Melee

Other Rules:

You will disqualified if you use modded controllers or the programmable functions on third-party controllers (like rapid-fire).

Of course, you cannot use glitches or stalling to either disable your opponent or indefinitely suspend match play. Doing so can lead to match forfeiture or tournament disqualification. This includes things like the Falco-laser-lock, don't do crap like this.

In an effort to prevent bracket manipulation and to preserve the spirit of the tournament, the following rule is in effect. Matches or entire sets may not, under any circumstances, be voluntarily forfeit by any player for any reason. Match or set forfeiture occurs upon the discovery of a broken rule. Absence from a match or set or voluntary forfeiture will result in total disqualification. Make sure you have a way of being contacted if you happen to be absent from your set when the time to play comes. You can also notify tournament staff if you will be running late beforehand or at any time during the tournament.

Coaching is allowed between matches, but no mid-match instruction may occur. Talking, sneering, and giggling from coaches is allowed, but coaches can be silenced at the request of any player currently engaged in a set.

Trash talking IS ENCOURAGED. No fighting, no rough stuff, no overly abusive language or yelling...you know the deal. Be nice, and try to be good about when you lose because (almost) everyone is guaranteed to lose at least once, so just be good about it.

BYOC (Bring your own controller) kthx.

Other Notes:

The ruleset is NOT open to change.

TVs, Wiis, copies of the game, and fully prepared SD memory cards will be a great help. Please bring any of these items if you can. If you do, please be sure to mark them in some way, shape, or form so that they can be identified as your own.

There will be match recording going on as well! Expect many great battles on youtube.

Goodies

Smash Apprentice
I'll be there! I may need a partner for this shiznit! Andy will you team with me?

Xivii, if you need any help with setup and getting matches started, I will be more than happy to help you get the tourney ran smoothly. Hit me up on AIM on the forums!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Xiivi, you should change the line that says it's the "22rd", haha. And you know as of right now the Save File has some sort of encryption that doesn't let it be transfered onto SD through normal means, right? Looks like everyone's going to have to make sure they unlock everything before hand. Like I said before, you can use my Wii, and I'll be ****ed if I don't unlock everything within the first couple days of release date >_<

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
I'd love to come, I can't wait. The last one was fun so hopefully this one is even better =)
Yes, the last one was fun. Everyone remember that! It was fun, and I didn't even know what I was doing. Now I'm about 100x more prepared and it will be much better!

I'll be there! I may need a partner for this shiznit! Andy will you team with me?

Xivii, if you need any help with setup and getting matches started, I will be more than happy to help you get the tourney ran smoothly. Hit me up on AIM on the forums!
Thanks for offering all the help. If you come and help set stuff up it'll make things 10x smoother. If other people want to come and help set-up it'll be 100x better. *cough UofR people cough*

I'll do it.

Can't make it until 4 though, got stuff to do before then.
Deal with it, stop always needing to do things during smash tournaments.

I will probably be there :)
No one invited you. :p jk

Xiivi, you should change the line that says it's the "22rd", haha. And you know as of right now the Save File has some sort of encryption that doesn't let it be transfered onto SD through normal means, right? Looks like everyone's going to have to make sure they unlock everything before hand. Like I said before, you can use my Wii, and I'll be ****ed if I don't unlock everything within the first couple days of release date >_<
Gez, such a grammar nazi aren't you? Sorry I just changed the 3 to a 2 without thinking to change the rd to a nd, please forgive me. So SD cards don't work like memory cards? I thought since you could put stages on them and transfer them to other wiis with it you could also do that with the game's save file itself. Also, if someone doesn't have everything unlocked I will personally unlock it all. Seriously, we only need to unlock the stages and characters. That takes about 1 hour at most. LOL

So yeah, we're AIMing for 5 total set-ups. That means: 1 projector + 4 TVs, 5 Wiis, 5 Brawl discs.

I have 1 projector, 2 TVs, 1 Wii + 1 Brawl for sure.
Phoenix has 1 Wii + Brawl for sure.

That gives us 2 complete set-ups and the projector.

Goodies and N.OW can hopefully come up with some stuff, which would be great.

Also the venue is reserved. So no worries there.

Just the most recent update.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Also, to anyone interested, I'm holding a smashfest at my house friday night, at 6 PM...Get our ***** in shape for this tourney :p contact me on AIM if you're interested... GB JesiahTEG

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I'll be in Rochester for my spring break, I'm pretty sure I will be able to make it to this but no promises. Will there be any melee set ups or just brawl only?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
yuck at some the stages. either way i won't be attending that's when my break is and i live much farther away home than when i'm in college D:

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
I'll be in Rochester for my spring break, I'm pretty sure I will be able to make it to this but no promises. Will there be any melee set ups or just brawl only?
The only way there will be melee set-ups is if we get extra set-ups or we progress very quickly through the tournament. So if people want melee to be set up too offer to help bring a set-up. :)

yuck at some the stages. either way i won't be attending that's when my break is and i live much farther away home than when i'm in college D:
You're right, those stages suck. So I just updated the list now that I've played and wasn't going off of people's opinions from like a month ago. Here's a nice picture of the most recent stage legality.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Wow @ these bans and counterpicks. I guess I'll come for the cash.

Neil, come team with me. I'd like to get into **** mode for a weekend, if you don't mind.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Sorry Yannick, if you're coming for the money don't bother, unless you don't mind 2nd place payout...Goodies and I kind of feel like winning this, so don't get your hopes up. ;)

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
Wow @ these bans and counterpicks. I guess I'll come for the cash.
I'm simply going by the current arguments going on with the stage discussion forum. Since the backroom has not released a list yet (and probably won't for a while) that's what I'm doing. I'm perfectly fine opening/banning stages provided you say why you want it or why it should be changed.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I don't think the stages are all that terrible. I mean, my favorite stage, Pirate Ship, as the game calls it, is a counterpick, so all is not lost, haha. I wonder why Pictochat isn't legal, hmmm.... I realize there are things that burn / explode you, but I don't think any character has an advantage? Whatever, haha.

It will still be fun though. =)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Don't mind me. If I had it my way, I'd have that entire list turned upside down.

That was just the rantings of a tourney-goer. Don't pay it any mind.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
So, I'm hoping to see lots of Sonic's at this event...We all know he's top tier. I expect to see a few of these lil fellows too... :yoshi: :yoshi: :yoshi:

I heard they taste good...

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I'll see if I can bring a set up, is there a number I can call in advance because I probably won't know for sure until the day before the tournament.

Edit: Set up for melee

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
im definitely coming and a few people are coming with me.

Ness got improved, and sheik got nerfed. Good luck guys, I dont think its possible for me to lose :p

_N2

Smash Apprentice
I'll be there.

And it looks like I won't lose to stages this time.

Yay laser camping.

Goodies

Smash Apprentice

Ness got improved, and sheik got nerfed. Good luck guys, I dont think its possible for me to lose :p

Sheik got nerfed, but she still counters Ness. GL to you Jimmy. You should try using CF vs Sheik. Oh no! CF got nerfed too!

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
I think that Summit and Distant Planet should be allowed for counter pick. I don't see why those are banned and i like them a lot :)

Oh and i doubt sheik still counters ness, but we will see!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I like Summit as well, Distant Planet has some additional hazards that I can see banning it, but Summit really is straightforward minus the fish. That fish... -_-;;

Xiivi, any stage pick updates? Didn't know if you were following back room or any other standards.

Goodies

Smash Apprentice
I think that Summit and Distant Planet should be allowed for counter pick. I don't see why those are banned and i like them a lot :)

I would lose to you horribly if those stages were allowed in tourney. It's like Green Greens all over again! Except I won that one. LOL! Sheik is gay!

unknownforce

Smash Lord
A brawl tournament that isn't insanely far from me, huh?

I'm interested. What is the estimated turnout, and would housing be a possibility?

Goodies

Smash Apprentice
I guessing at least 25+ for the amount of people I've contacted. I'm sure I could find housing for you too. You can IM me at Auntbitc and I'll try to set up arrangements so that you can attend.

Btw, are you the same Unknownforce that mained Sheik ages ago?

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
OK, first off, I need to know who can bring set-ups. I know the following for sure: My TV, The Projector, FIF's Lounge TV, and then 1 crappy TV that has horrible quality that I don't want to use. If anyone can bring a TV it'd be awesome, I'm currently talking some people on the floor into allowing me to borrow their TVs. I'm aiming for 5 total set-ups for brawl and hopefully another 1 for melee since some people have shown interest. Also, I know that I have my wii + brawl, and Phoenix's wii + brawl. If you can bring a wii+brawl then please do! Also please tell me, I need to know.

I don't think the stages are all that terrible. I mean, my favorite stage, Pirate Ship, as the game calls it, is a counterpick, so all is not lost, haha. I wonder why Pictochat isn't legal, hmmm.... I realize there are things that burn / explode you, but I don't think any character has an advantage? Whatever, haha.

It will still be fun though. =)
Pictochat has a few unbalanced transformations. The rolling cart, the side springs, the box tower. However, it might open up again. These three alone might not be enough if it turns out like pokemon stadium melee and no one does anything during the transformation times (which I doubt since there will be no walls to hide behind).

Don't mind me. If I had it my way, I'd have that entire list turned upside down.

That was just the rantings of a tourney-goer. Don't pay it any mind.
I do care about my tourney-goers haha. I want people to be happy. I'll probably end up opening some stages after reading the most current arguments I've seen (I've been following stage discussion a lot, it's all over the place, but people do present good stuff).

So, I'm hoping to see lots of Sonic's at this event...We all know he's top tier. I expect to see a few of these lil fellows too...
I heard they taste good...
Sonic, haha, I hope everyone plays him. He's a fine character, until you realize he has three very predictable kill moves (and only three), zero aerial priority, and a poor ability to take advantage of his good ability of closing distance quickly. Also, yoshi is very good at keeping distance, should be interesting.

I'll see if I can bring a set up, is there a number I can call in advance because I probably won't know for sure until the day before the tournament.
Edit: Set up for melee
If you bring a melee set-up I would be more than glad to make sure you get to play melee. Also, my number is 317-753-5476 and my AIM is Xiivi.

Hey, I'm assuming the same pinky, energheizer, etc... are all coming? That'd be great. Especially if you guys could bring a set-up too (and possibly the japanese set-up, I'm interested in testing some things in it.)

I'll be there.
And it looks like I won't lose to stages this time.
Yay laser camping.
Haha, well that's my goal with the stage bans. It's very hard keeping open plenty of fair and diverse options with nothing to really fall back on except a few low-scale tournaments and arguments. I don't want stage johns to rule the scene.

I think that Summit and Distant Planet should be allowed for counter pick. I don't see why those are banned and i like them a lot
The summit begins with a circle and edges that cannot be grabbed. The stage then goes into a short sequence with reduced gravity, lastly if you fall into the water you have to instantly try to jump out or you will get eaten by the fish (auto-KO). Any opponent knowing this could simply hover over you and footstool or hit you down the second you leave the water ensuring a KO. However, I think it might be open for testing. Distant planet spawns items, has a campable walk-off, a hazard characters can be thrown into for low-% instant KOs, and a sequence in which one of the edges becomes basically unusable. I'm actually thinking about unbanning it though since it sort of balances its own faults on its own.

I like Summit as well, Distant Planet has some additional hazards that I can see banning it, but Summit really is straightforward minus the fish. That fish... -_-;;
Xiivi, any stage pick updates? Didn't know if you were following back room or any other standards.
I've been following everything I can, and after listening to Mic I'm thinking of removing a lot of bans. He's wanting early tournaments to allow for more experimentation so they have videos to see if these stages really do cause these problems in real tournament matches. Since my tournament is one of these early ones it is actually seeming pretty important for this testing. Expect more stages to come back.

I would lose to you horribly if those stages were allowed in tourney. It's like Green Greens all over again! Except I won that one. LOL! Sheik is gay!
Haha, I hate Green Greens, so much. Such a terrible stage, I wish there was a real reason to ban it.

A brawl tournament that isn't insanely far from me, huh?
I'm interested. What is the estimated turnout, and would housing be a possibility?
The tournament is hopefully going to have between 20 and 30 people, hopefully leaning towards or even past the 30 mark. I just put up a ton of flyers around campus today to hopefully lure in potential brawlers new to the scene. If Goodies cannot find housing for you, then I wouldn't mind letting you sleep in the FIF lounge overnight on the couch.

IMPORTANT STAGE INFORMATION:
Singles

Neutrals:
Battlefield [Definite]
Final Destination [Definite]
Yoshi's Island [Definite]
Lylat Cruise [Definite]
Smashville [Definite]
Pokemon Stadium - Melee [Definite]

Counterpicks:

Delfino Plaza [High chance of becoming Neutral]
Luigi's Mansion [Definite]
Pirate Ship [Definite]
Norfair [Definite]
Frigate Orpheon [Definite]
Halberd [May become Neutral]
Castle Siege [May become Neutral]
Jungle Japes - Melee [Definite]
Corneria - Melee [Definite]
Rainbow Cruise - Melee [Definite]
Green Greens - Melee [Definite]
Brinstar - Melee [Definite]

Banned:

Mushroomy Kingdom [Definite]
Mario Circuit [May become Counterpick]
Rumble Falls [Definite]
Bridge of Eldin [High chance of becoming Counterpick]
Pokemon Stadium 2 [Definite]
Spear Pillar [Definite]
Port Town Aero Dive [Definite]
Skyworld [Definite]
WarioWare, Inc. [Definite]
Distant Planet [High chance of becoming Counterpick]
Summit [May become Counterpick]
75m [Definite]
Mario Bros. [Definite]
Flat Zone 2 [Definite]
Pictochat [May become Counterpick]
Hanenbow [Definite]
Shadow Moses Island [May become Counterpick]
Green Hill Zone [Definite]
Temple - Melee [Definite]
Yoshi's Island - Melee [Definite]
Onett - Melee [Definite]
Big Blue - Melee [Definite]

Teams

Neutrals:
Battlefield [Definite]
Final Destination [Definite]
Yoshi's Island [Definite]
Lylat Cruise [Definite]
Smashville [Definite]
Pokemon Stadium - Melee [Definite]
Rainbow Cruise - Melee [Definite]

Counterpicks:

Delfino Plaza [High chance of becoming Neutral]
Luigi's Mansion [Definite]
Pirate Ship [Definite]
Norfair [May become banned]
Frigate Orpheon [Definite]
Halberd [May become Neutral]
Castle Siege [High chance of becoming Neutral]
Green Hill Zone [May become banned]
Jungle Japes - Melee [Definite]
Corneria - Melee [Definite]
Green Greens - Melee [Definite]
Brinstar - Melee [Definite]

Banned:

Mushroomy Kingdom [Definite]
Mario Circuit [High chance of becoming Counterpick]
Rumble Falls [Definite]
Bridge of Eldin [High chance of becoming Counterpick]
Pokemon Stadium 2 [Definite]
Spear Pillar [Definite]
Port Town Aero Dive [Definite]
Skyworld [Definite]
WarioWare, Inc. [Definite]
Distant Planet [High chance of becoming Counterpick]
Summit [May become Counterpick]
75m [Definite]
Mario Bros. [Definite]
Flat Zone 2 [Definite]
Pictochat [High chance of becoming Counterpick]
Hanenbow [Definite]
Shadow Moses Island [May become Counterpick]
Temple - Melee [Definite]
Yoshi's Island - Melee [Definite]
Onett - Melee [May become Counterpick]
Big Blue - Melee [Definite]

Kirk

Smash Champion
Hurray I finally found the tourney listing!

I hope I'll be able to make it...but my parents are coming in that weekend so I don't know if I will have time.

If I can I'll definitely be there. I really need to start trying my luck at some tourneys XD

--Kirk

unknownforce

Smash Lord
I guessing at least 25+ for the amount of people I've contacted. I'm sure I could find housing for you too. You can IM me at Auntbitc and I'll try to set up arrangements so that you can attend.

Btw, are you the same Unknownforce that mained Sheik ages ago?
Oh man... I just mapquested Rochester, and it turns out that this event is almost seven hours away! I thought it would be closer to three hours. With the price of gas, I don't think I can make it. Sorry, I'd really like to come if I could!

I never really mained Sheik (since I was always using at least four characters as my mains at any given time), but yeah, that's me.

I hope I can play some of you guys via wifi at some point since I can't make it. I can't play at home though, so it would have to be when I'm visiting my friends house. I'd be particularly interested in playing Kirk, since I've seen his Ike in action and know it is too good.

Hope you guys have a good time!

Xiivi

Premium
BRoomer
Hurray I finally found the tourney listing!
I hope I'll be able to make it...but my parents are coming in that weekend so I don't know if I will have time.
If I can I'll definitely be there. I really need to start trying my luck at some tourneys XD
--Kirk
It'd be great if you could make it and put up a good fight for us. Hope you can break away from your family long enough to stop by.

Oh man... I just mapquested Rochester, and it turns out that this event is almost seven hours away! I thought it would be closer to three hours. With the price of gas, I don't think I can make it. Sorry, I'd really like to come if I could! !
Where do you live that is 7 hours away but you'd think it was only 3 hours away? Haha. Sorry that you can't join us.

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
Ill check to see if i can get one of my friends to bring a setup, but it is highly unlikely. Ill let you know if they can. I myself do not own a Wii, i just use my roommates :)

unknownforce

Smash Lord
It'd be great if you could make it and put up a good fight for us. Hope you can break away from your family long enough to stop by.

Where do you live that is 7 hours away but you'd think it was only 3 hours away? Haha. Sorry that you can't join us.
I'm in RI, so I'm only two and a half hours away from New York, and about 3 from NYC. I know New York is huge, but I never suspected I'd be driving for more than 5 hours, lol.

Top Bottom