• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGD~ Time to get SHTL done

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Heh, nevermind. I cleaned it with a damp toothbrush and now it works much better. And lol my dpad wouldn't work very well. I dropped my remote one day and the area around the dpad is split open so usually when I press anything on the dpad it doesn't register.
That's good that you got your thing working better. LOL, you are missing out on them taunts! Dpad, the "click to win button" since 2008 :troll:

I don't use him less because Ice Climbers are better. I've just lost interest in using him and Metaknight as well. I have mained Fox since Smash 64 and I'll always love the character and definitely play him in Smash 4. Although Fox is very fun he is sometimes draining to play. Right now I am having a lot of fun with Ice Climbers, but my Fox is still there. I'll randomly bust him out from time to time. You'll likely see a lot more of him when SKTAR gets closer. As of now the only top level Fox players that remain are Me, Zeton, and Yui. Trev quit and TKD....don't really follow up on him or know what he's been up to.
I honestly did not expect that I'd see a response from a top Fox. Anyways, good to hear that you did not drop Fox. I think I understand what you mean. There are times when you just aren't so interested in using your usual characters.
So, I think it is good to hear that you did not drop Fox. Hmm, I hope that in one day, I will be a lot better than how I am currently.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
Damn...

Well, at least I got to see Zeton 1 or 2 times, and he seemed to like what I could do with Fox.

At least you haven't dropped him completely, yet. I usually only using someone else besides him if I have to fight a stupid matchup.

I've had Kirby as a secondary for a long time, so he should be able to help me out with Sheik.

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm starting to use fox a lot more than wolf. I'm hoping to get into some kind of tournament scene by the end of this year. Of course if SSB4 comes out I'll be moving on to that. I'm sure I'll still stick with the Star Fox characters though.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Good to hear, Fox is the better mercenary of two :p By the way, I like your avatar Disaster Master. Very creative and I like the art style. Oh and I will stick to Star Fox characters unless they are so terrible that they makes me sad when I play as them.
Carls493: You played Kirby as secondary? May be it's just me not remembering things well.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
Kirby's one of my secondaries. Probably one of the most reliable of the ones that I have.

I don't use him a lot in serious matches because I hardly encounter the call for it, but on his own I'm decent with Kirby.

I would only use Kirby for characters Fox can't handle, but he can, like Sheik as I've said already. If Fox wasn't so badly ftilt-trapped by Sheik, I'd probably stick to using him on her over Kirby.

But even then, I've manage to beat Sheik with Fox occasionally.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I see. In your experience against Sheiks, did you encounter f-tilt heavy users a lott? If so, were you able to survive their up-smash?

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
Is there any kind of completed match up chart? I'm in serious need of help. I just got wrecked in teams by double Kirbys. I couldn't even get a hit in. It was pretty pathetic.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
No, or at least not yet. Smarter Sheiks damage Fox with her ftilt enough that her Up Smash is 100% guaranteed to kill him afterwards.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, Kirby has a slight edge and that thing has some strings too which almost guarantees few percents. And I think there's a match up thread on Competitive Board

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Is there any kind of completed match up chart? I'm in serious need of help. I just got wrecked in teams by double Kirbys. I couldn't even get a hit in. It was pretty pathetic.
:fox:
-3: :popo::pikachu2::sheik::sheilda:
-2:
-1: :diddy::kirby2: :marth: :metaknight::olimar::snake::wario:
0: :falco: :gw::ike: :ness2: :pit::toonlink::wolf::zerosuitsamus:
1: :dedede::falcon::lucario::lucas: :luigi2: :mario2: :peach::pt::samus2::sonic::yoshi2:
2: :bowser2::dk2::jigglypuff::link2::rob: :zelda:
3: :ganondorf:

(not sure why some of the images aren't appearing)
The MU thread is somewhat useless because it's outdated imo.
Uh... not sure how to help if it's teams, but I could give some background info in 1v1

You probably noticed that Kirby has a somewhat lethal chaingrab on us at low percents. This is it:
20%+: no follow-up
10~19%: dthrow, utilt, usmash for 33% damage
0~9%: dthrow, utilt, dthrow, utilt x2, usmash for 53% damage

Obviously, you won't want to get grabbed early (or really even at all). Notice how getting grabbed at 0-9% is worse than 10-19%? My advice is this:
Hardcore platform camp until you reach 20%. Just camp the platforms and drop through laser when you have space/time (or SHTL if you have a lot of room on ground level). As long as you dance around him with platform camping, you shouldn't get grabbed, since you'll typically be on a platform, while he's below you. Kirby could obviously hit you though from below. This is ok though, because it raises your %. Just keeping doing that, and then once you reach 20%, play somewhat normally.
...Somewhat anyway. Besides the chaingrab, he still has a few advantages. For one, for Kirby's small size, his grab range is massive. Keep this in mind above and below 20%. You really have to focus on burst options in the MU. Mobility is key, and make sure to maintain a fair amount of space onstage if you can. He's also one of the few characters I would consider to edge-guard Fox well. His dair is multi-hit, so if he tries to intercept illusion with it, shine stall a few times first and then illusion. [COLLAPSE="Punishment"]- Kirby's Dair on shield is a Free Usmash, our Fair trades with his Dair a better option is Bair if you are going for trading hits.

- Kirby's Fair on shield is OoS Usmashable. If he retreats his Fair DO NOT follow him. On a whiff due to Kirby's horrible aerial movement we can easily Dash Usmash him, Fair vs. Fair trades hits, better to trade with a Bair on his whiff, you can also Usmash him on a whiff.

- Kirby's SH Rising Bair is OoS Usmashable, SH Falling Bair is tricky if he doesn't do it perfectly near the ground you can OoS Usmash it, same goes for a sky falling Bair. Retreating Bair is safe though. On a whiff Bair is easily Dash Usmashable, also tradeable with our own Bair.

- Kirby's Uair on shield is an obvious punish and so is whiff

- Kirby's Fsmash on shield is an easy OoS Usmash, on whiff Dair him hand follow-up

- Kirby's Dsmash is another easy punish OoS Usmash, on whiff do the same as Fsmash

- Kirby's Usmash on shield is lol, OoS Usmash him, on whiff Bair, Jab, Pivot Boost Grab, Dash Usmash

- Kirby's Down Special (LOLOOLOLOLOLOL) grab out of shield, on whiff wait for him to turn back to normal and procceed to **** him.

- Kirby's Side Special IS unpunishable on shield, on whiff **** him.

- Kirby's Up Special is OoS Usmashable, interrupt him while he is falling with his Up B either Usmash or Uair, Up B can't really whiff but, PS the shockwave and punish accordingly.

- Kirby's Dtilt is OoS Usmashable, on whiff walk grab don't try anything else

- Kirby's Utilt is OoS Usmashable, on whiff Dash Usmash or Pivot Boost Grab

- Kirby's Ftilt is not OoS Usmashable BUT you can unshield Dash Usmash, on whiff Dash Usmash, walk grab, or Pivot Boost Grab

- Kirby's Jab is unpunishable on shield and on whiff DO NOT challenge it.

- Kirby's Grab is an obvious you can't shield it, on whiff you can dash Usmash or grab back yourself, now if you are in the air FF Nair and Dair also work.
[/COLLAPSE]

Personally, I found walling with fast-falled bair and reverse utilt to somewhat work (make sure not to trade vs his bair though!). His bair is also reaaaaally annoying. Just look at the spoiler on some advice on how to punish it. You can't always punish it though (usually due to shield push), but when you can, be sure to. SHTL is good, since you'll always get that silent laser, making it easier to hit Kirby with lasers. Him crouching could be a problem them. If he does that when your below 20%, you can try to wall with those move I mentioned earlier while maintaing mobility. If you know how to rain laser, than that should also help to hit Kirby if he's crouching.

That's all I could think off the top of my head. Sorry for a wall of text, with grammatical erros that probably make no sense. >.>

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I will add when I can as soon as possible.

Well, turns out I had no time to check Brawl online, so I will try to verify or add people this week for sure.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Is this where you use illusion (phantasm for Falco) as soon as you go off stage without giving it time to play animation for going offstage?

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Yeah, battlefield platforms in my opinion are good for this technique. I am not sure about the viability of follow ups after few repeated use of those though.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
It's kinda good when you want to get away from lethal characters underneath you, like pika and ICs imo. Just make sure you get it out quick enough though.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Hmm, yeah, don't want to give them a chance to grab me because I know it's a "goodbye" situation. How about approach mix-ups? Has there been an advancement in Fox metagame in that regard?

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Approach mix ups in regards to using an aerial illusion, or approach mix ups just in general?

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Just in general. What a new Fox main (relatively, 2 months old) has to know. Since this board is not so active anymore, I would not know what other Foxes are doing in 2013.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Well, ironically, two whole new pages of discussion popped up when I left, and now that I'm back, the boards are dead again...

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
I'm assuming you're talking about stages?Or characters?
As for stages, I would say flat, big stages, or maybe stages with walls for shine infinites.
I could also see Frigate as a good CP as well.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Skid grab is essential for Fox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPVB4-NLlsQ

Other than that, everything else is generally known (I think?). It's just mixing in creativity, reads, and match up knowledge from there.

I'm assuming you're talking about stages?Or characters?
As for stages, I would say flat, big stages, or maybe stages with walls for shine infinites.
I could also see Frigate as a good CP as well.
I generally don't think Frigate is a good stage for Fox. Not that it's particularly bad (the second phase is good for him), but there's usually almost always better options. Frigate against Marth though is a bad idea. There's not much space so Fox gets cornered easier. On top of that, Marth will get much easier gimps on the first phase on the right side of the stage.
Personally, I think your best bets lie in FD, SV, BF (*only* if the Marth player doesn't know 'Marth tricks' there...which on second thought, they probably do), and I guess PS1. FD is probably the best stage for us, with the others being either neutral or in Marth's favor.
This is all imo btw.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Hmm, I found out that it's gonna take a while to develop my game fully, since I cannot execute half of what I want to do because my brain goes blank but that's another story. Is there a special trick for landing SH BAir consistently? With ff and stuff? I tried searching but it won't search what I want.

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
With SH bairs I have to get the bair out before ffing. If you ff right away fox doesn't seem to get the bair out before landing. That might just be because of wifi lag though...

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
No, I think you are right. Even in offline I can barely pull off a SH Bair if I initiate FF and then Bair. Now to remembering and performing that during a game is another thing for me because I tend to forget half the stuff I practiced and wanted to use.

Top Bottom