• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [Feb 28, 2015] Road to Glory #1 - Spring Qualifier - cash bonus - state ranking (Eugene, Oregon)

Gamepadnews

Smash Cadet
Gamepad Arena Presents

Road to Glory # 1

This is a Spring Qualifier

This means the event will have a cash prize bonus, counts toward state rankings, and qualifies for the Season Finale which will have a guaranteed $500 prize.

Registration $10 per person:
  • Tournament Registration & Competition
  • All Day Free Play at Pixel Battles (normally $0.10 per minute)
  • A complimentary 30-minute Pixel Battle gift card redeemable anytime in the future
Buy-in & Prizes
Each event buy-in is $5 per person and will be pooled for a cash prize.
Top 3 placing competitors will be awarded 100% of buy-in pool distributed in this manner:

$ 1st - 60%
$ 2nd - 30%
$ 3rd - 10%

Additional Sponsorship cash bonus may be added!
Current bonus Cash Prize

Events

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Singles (1 vs 1) - $5 per person
  • Teams (2 vs 2) - $5 per person
    ($10 per team)
  • Quadruples (4 vs 4) - Free

Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Singles (1 vs 1) - $5 per person
  • Teams (2 vs 2) - $5 per person
    ($10 per team)

Rules
Please see the rules here:
Event Rules

For additional information about schedule, livestreaming, and information about the next qualifier & spring seasonal, please see our site:

Gamepad Arena - gamepadnews.com

Proud sponsors of Road to Glory

Pixel Battles

Find us on social media

Smashboards - | Follow Us |

Facebook

Twitter - @gamepadarena

Last edited:

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
I live in Keizer, Oregon, right outside Salem! I wouldn't mind the space, though, as long as everyone else was also alright with it!

T0MMY

Smash Master
I've known about this event for a while ;^)
Very excited for it! Should be a blast!

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
I live in Keizer, Oregon, right outside Salem! I wouldn't mind the space, though, as long as everyone else was also alright with it!
Im comeing down from washington so thats not to far off my path. Lets communicate a bit more. Where can i reach you easiest?

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
Im comeing down from washington with my buddy sideslick, so thats not to far off my path. Lets communicate a bit more. Where can i reach you easiest?

Last edited:

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Im comeing down from washington with my buddy sideslick, so thats not to far off my path. Lets communicate a bit more. Where can i reach you easiest?
You forgot the "@"-sign.

Namedropping me without even notifying me... Hmph... Some friend you are...
/subtle tease

Seriously, I can't wait for this. RTG will also be my first time going this far south by car! I'm hyped!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
This will be the first time I've played at Pixel Battles. I dropped in once to check out the place back when they were at the Gateway Mall, so it will be exciting to see the newer, bigger venue they have now.

Since this is the first Qualifier, I'm going to have to practice up and bring my A-Game. :)

Seriously, I can't wait for this. RTG will also be my first time going this far south by car! I'm hyped!
Road trips are great. I've done long car rides and that was back before the days of 3DS smash. (i.e. I played Pokemon and Kirby Super Star Ultra).

Last edited:

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
The quickest way to contact me would be either by Facebook(Silferian), or by my mobile number(202-340-7779). And that sounds really cool! I'm interested in hearing anything about your state!

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
The quickest way to contact me would be either by Facebook(Silferian), or by my mobile number(XXX-XXX-XXXX). And that sounds really cool! I'm interested in hearing anything about your state!
I'm added you to my phonebook. I'm @ Beardbot Beardbot 's other carpool-buddy.

I'd suggest editing your number out in the near-future. That kind of info out there for the public is rarely a good idea. You can never be too-careful. Just sayin'

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
I have some questions about road to glory and about timmy and tommys TOing in general.

Why is the registration fee 10 for RtG?

At ultimate oregon smash you guys charged a venue fee and it was later found out that the venue was actually free. You said that the extra cash was going to be used to better the scene. Also it has come my attention that you have run 4 other tournaments since then and have overchatged at those events aswell. Can you give examples of how you have used that money to better your future tournaments?

Do you have an exact number for the money you have saved up?

Gamepadnews

Smash Cadet
Registration was set at 10 as ok'd by the owner of Pixelbattles.
The usual rate at PB is ten cents per minute, so it would cost almost $50 to play for the day. Compared to playing a day's worth of tournament time and you are looking at a $40 savings, and it will be a whole lot more fun playing in a tournament!

Additionally a 30-minute play card, redeemable at any time, is being included in the event package, a $3 value.
We hope everyone will enjoy this generous offer sponsored by the owner of Pixelbattles to show your support of their business.

Yes there are many ways Gamepad invests its revenue to better future tournaments including additional prizes, video equipment, giveaways, advertising and promotions.
To take advantage of all offers, promotions, and discounts please visit our site Gamepad Arena and follow us on Twitter @GamepadArena

All your other questions were answered in the facebook group but feel free to contact Gamepad there with anymore questions!

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
I know the Apex 2015 rules are being used but there are some rules from that specific tournament that are unique to that tournament only. Due to its large size and attempt to simplify the events some rulings were in place that are unusual to Smash tournaments by large and may affect the decisions of those who may want to attend.
Two of these rules I see are:

1) Mii fighter limitations of 1-1-1-1 setup. This ruling essentially ruins the character and mains (such as myself) will not be able to properly compete. It is widely accepted that no character should be banned or limited in Smash Wii U and this ruling was in place mainly to contend with any setup problems Apex may encounter like transferring Mii to consoles. There should be no issues with having Mii available as a character by usual game standards as long as a note is made that no console will be turned off to create a Mii or turned off for any reason.

2) Controller bans. Again, Apex had a lot of players and in the circumstance that a lot of them used wireless controllers it could have caused interference issues and there would be problems with people able to play their matches. To combat this issue they banned wireless controllers, but were also supplied with sponsored wired controller adapters. Seeing as we may be short on adapters I would suggest not using this rule and it would make a lot of people who only play with wired controllers (like a 3DS) able to properly compete. A note could be made that interference problems are a risk players are willing to take if using a wireless controller and any and all game losses due to wireless issues are their risk alone.

Some other minor rules that could be looked into are the Suicide KO ruling, Stage Clause, and the %-based win ruling. None of these are needed to play the game competitively and I have the opinion they are anti-competitive.

I covered a lot here, but anyone else feel free to chime in their thoughts and see if there's a rule that is preventing you from properly competing.

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
I know the Apex 2015 rules are being used but there are some rules from that specific tournament that are unique to that tournament only. Due to its large size and attempt to simplify the events some rulings were in place that are unusual to Smash tournaments by large and may affect the decisions of those who may want to attend.
Two of these rules I see are:

1) Mii fighter limitations of 1-1-1-1 setup. This ruling essentially ruins the character and mains (such as myself) will not be able to properly compete. It is widely accepted that no character should be banned or limited in Smash Wii U and this ruling was in place mainly to contend with any setup problems Apex may encounter like transferring Mii to consoles. There should be no issues with having Mii available as a character by usual game standards as long as a note is made that no console will be turned off to create a Mii or turned off for any reason.

I covered a lot here, but anyone else feel free to chime in their thoughts and see if there's a rule that is preventing you from properly competing.
I'd like to toss in my 2 cents on the mii rulings as far as bans limitations and legalities. Although some may disagree I think it may be a fair rule to go with a variation on how the online tournament hosted by events2compete recently. The mii characters used specific guest mii for each class to create a baseline for height, weight, etc. Beyond this the mii move set was identified by naming the mii 1111 or 2222 or 3333 to show which moves it had. This allowed mii to be varied without it being completely random. Another benefit to this is that the miss can be made and ready to select already on each console without too much fuss to avoid the hassle of loading up or creating mii as the tournament is in progress. I would be fine with more varied custom moves but I like the ruling of naming the mii with the numbers to show the move set they have in place to sortof identify them as their own character so to speak. I am open to ideas however!

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'd like to toss in my 2 cents on the mii rulings as far as bans limitations and legalities. Although some may disagree I think it may be a fair rule to go with a variation on how the online tournament hosted by events2compete recently. The mii characters used specific guest mii for each class to create a baseline for height, weight, etc. Beyond this the mii move set was identified by naming the mii 1111 or 2222 or 3333 to show which moves it had. This allowed mii to be varied without it being completely random. Another benefit to this is that the miss can be made and ready to select already on each console without too much fuss to avoid the hassle of loading up or creating mii as the tournament is in progress. I would be fine with more varied custom moves but I like the ruling of naming the mii with the numbers to show the move set they have in place to sortof identify them as their own character so to speak. I am open to ideas however!
Could you explain why you think it is a "fair" rule?

Edit: There's a poll for rules. Looks like Apex rules might be modified if given some input. I would suggest looking at doing away with the Alternate Controller ruling and the Mii Fighter ruling which could alienate the attendees.

Edit: Evo Rules published! Since Apex is over with and many unhappy with those rules maybe an adoption of Evo rules will be better for everyone!

Last edited:

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
Could you explain why you think it is a "fair" rule?

Edit: There's a poll for rules. Looks like Apex rules might be modified if given some input. I would suggest looking at doing away with the Alternate Controller ruling and the Mii Fighter ruling which could alienate the attendees.
The height & weight change creates enough variables for me to feel its better suited for a tournament with all custom setups. Not only do height and weight changes affect the speed, jump height, and knockback of a character. They also seem to affect both hitboxes and hurtboxes. For example, I took two default swordfighter mii and made one heavy and one skinny. the heavy one has more reach than the skinny one. I did the same with a short and tall mii, and the short mii could jump a fair bit higher. While mii are at their core original characters created through customization, no other characters have this benefit. I use meta knight personally and his range is not ideal against most other sword characters, however I cannot alter him in a way that expands his range or makes him harder to send flying. Things that could heavily affect what may and may not work against a character. I'm not saying don't use mii that are made in your image, but for tournament purposes maybe have one set up that is default height and weight. The outfit they wear doesn't seem to affect the character and what they can or cannot do. Neither do other aesthetic features. I am fine with mii having any move sets because they do not have a true default set for moves. That is why I feel it is a fair rule. It allows customization of mii without having to alter their stats. If you allowed a mii to have altered stats you would need to allow for equipment on regular characters to do the same. The goal isn't to limit mii or the people who use them. It is to allow for maximum customization of ones mii fighter without crossing into what should be considered "custom" characters. A player goes up against a Mario and they know what will or will not work. How high Mario can jump. How fast he can run. How much distance to maintain to space attacks. But because height and weight cannot be judged well in a game paced as quickly as smash it becomes difficult to discern these things mid-match. This is absolutely not to say I don't like mii being in tournament play. As a character they have as much reason to be used as any other. I would even like to see an all custom, all mii tournament at some point! For now though I think this explains my view clearly.

T0MMY

Smash Master
The height & weight change creates enough variables for me to feel its better suited for a tournament with all custom setups. Not only do height and weight changes affect the speed, jump height, and knockback of a character. They also seem to affect both hitboxes and hurtboxes.
Let me know if I got this right, but you are making a case for fairness amongst characters?
That would be matchups (MUs), how neutral/polarizing/balanced/fair the character interactions are in competition (also includes Stages in its scope).

I can definitely agree with everything you said here about MUs, that in these regards the Mii have a perceived "advantage" in MUs. However, there's the Fairness Principle, which is invoked to regulate competition among competitors, and just have to check if you are using that for basis in reasoning instead which I'd respond differently to.

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
So sortof a summary and shorter explanation as well as something I didn't quite cover. I want to see mii in competition. I dont feel that the character is given any advantage or disadvantage by being able to change its height and weight, but it puts the opposing player at a disadvantage as it is a factor thats not exactly something you can prepare for or strategize against. At least not this early into the competitive life of the game. Something i did not cover though was that mii do have a default height and weight when created. I think for smash, customization of mii can be kept within what the game allows you to change within smash itself (excluding, of course, the customization of appearance ike hair , eyes, skin color, etc.).

If people want mii to be treated fairly as fighters like all the rest they should consider that they should stand by the same limitations as the other characters. why let mii change something other fighters cannot?

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
it puts the opposing player at a disadvantage as it is a factor thats not exactly something you can prepare for or strategize against. At least not this early into the competitive life of the game.
You bring up a good point - But I will add that there are a lot of ways people can and do practice against the Mii matchup. People play against a CPU with max/mid/min in Training mode, ask their friends to play against them, and then go online and play on NDJ and/or Anther's Ladder where Mii are in full use.

In addition to this a great place to learn matchups has traditionally been going to tournaments and finding good players of the character they want to practice with. The ban/restriction essentially eliminates that for the attendees as well (I know one person I was hoping to play with at Gameclucks doesn't go there because of the Mii ban).

If people want mii to be treated fairly as fighters like all the rest they should consider that they should stand by the same limitations as the other characters.
Which limitations are on the other characters?
As far as I know, there are none in competitions.
If Mii fighters should be treated the same as other characters and no limitations exist for other characters then it reasonably follows that Mii fighters should not be hit with a limitation.

why let mii change something other fighters cannot?
I would say because that is how the game objectively functions, which is our starting point in competition (competitions start off playing the game as it normally plays and then after finding out what is broken it is banned/restricted - innocent until proven guilty is the usual approach).

It's the same question as "Why let Meta Knight jump 5 times in the air when other fighters cannot?"
This is a guilty until proven innocent approach which is usually not the formal way about designing a competition's rules.

So, I'm not saying this approach is wrong, it's just an approach that deviates from the standard competitive principles which puts it outside the realm of competition and more along the lines of a casual event (an event where we have fun with nothing on the line). Since there's prizes to be won (compete for) I'm hoping everyone can go with the innocent until proven ban-worthy approach as I see that more appropriate for a competition.
If not, well, at least I laid out the argument I think is strongest as best I could :^)

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
I would say because that is how the game objectively functions, which is our starting point in competition...
My personal problem with Miis is that the slider for height/weight is OUTSIDE the game, therefore NOT a function of Smash, rather the system (Wii U or 3DS) itself.

Sure, Smash listens to this function of modifying a Mii's dimensions, but it requires quitting out of the game to change your Mii's dimensions. It's no different than changing the clock in Animal Crossing to see different holidays at your own leisure. It's controlling the game from outside the game.

You are not playing the game; You are playing the system outside of the game.

In addition, if a player wishes to use their own Mii in a tournament-setting, there is a major bias toward 3DS-owners or to Wii U-owners playing on their own setup. There is no way practical way for people outside these groups to play with their own Miis. I understand gaming is an expensive-hobby, but this inherent-advantage to 3DS-owners is the opposite of being "fair" (not to be confused with being "Bair", lol).

For the record, I'm not against Miis in tournament play. I just find serious flaws in how they were implemented. (Sakurai, plz fix)

With all that being said, if your Sheik is that dangerous, I can't imagine the sheer-devastation your Mii will leave behind. Quite honestly, I'm terrified to find out. I can't wait for RTG... 5 fairs... %#&$, I'm scared...

---

Also, why are we discussing this here? As I understand it, you're one of the TOs for this whole Oregonian-shindig, but this still is a tournament-listing, not a Mii discussion-board.

Mii-viability in competition as-a-whole has little to do with this tournament in particular. Either they are allowed or they aren't. It's the TO's call and we've gotta live with it, even if it means not going (I plan on going either way).

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Since this thread became more Mii-focused I moved it over to my Mii Thread.

Originally the 3DS discussion was about getting it allowed to be used as a controller
Apex was weary in allowing wireless controllers due to the sheer number of people causing inteference, I think smaller tournaments would rather not have the rule so more people can attend. I feel the point of 3DS cost being a factor is the same case as Gamecube controller adapters, which are both expensive and difficult to find.

I talked to Justin about adapters to use and he sees them as a responsibility, if someone needs to use a Gamecube controller via adapter or a 3DS for controller then they should have to provide it for their use.

And, yes I think there should be a rule against turning off the software, which should stop the issues of people quitting out to access other software out-of-game, the TO can provide a default 1-1-1-1 Mii to be accessed in-game and a Mii upload in-game as well.

With all that being said, if your Sheik is that dangerous, I can't imagine the sheer-devastation your Mii will leave behind. Quite honestly, I'm terrified to find out. I can't wait for RTG... 5 fairs... %#&$, I'm scared...
I'm actually feeling like my secondaries are getting more attention in training mode now and my Brawler isn't the most optimized for competition (it's considered "lower tier" I suppose). So don't be too scared! X^D
I'm still looking forward to capturing that Sheik replay I have on your Wii. Thanks for enjoying that with me - also thanks for showing me the Smashketball game. Will definitely be sharing that idea, so much fun!

Also, why are we discussing this here? As I understand it, you're one of the TOs for this whole Oregonian-shindig, but this still is a tournament-listing, not a Mii discussion-board.
Actually I mostly just promote/consult; although I've known the TOs for years I could just ask them to change rules any way I want them, but I feel like that's not to the benefit of the community so I just open discussion for the TOs to look at. I end up being asked to help in some way at nearly every event I attend - I was even livestreaming and stuff at Gameclucks. No complaints though, that is fun!

(note: I think Chris could tell I was joking about the 1-stock, best of 1, single-elim rules for next Gameclucks, just the same I could tell he really did like the idea, haha)

I hope to see if I can use my Mii to its fullest potential at this tournament. But as long as there is even one person objecting I'd rather not even if allowed until I work out why they are against me playing my character. Just want to have fun and everyone else to have as much fun!

Last edited:

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Quick question: Do you know how many people have RSVP-ed/committed to being there? Any famous/semi-famous faces coming?

I plan on going no matter what the answer is, but I still would like to know what kind of turnout to expect, and if any big-names will be there, aside from the obvious @ T0MMY T0MMY - @T1MMY - time - twins.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Not sure who will be there and who won't but usual monthlies are like 30 people and consist of some of the best players from Oregon - also no sure who would be considered a big name since Smash 4 is new, but Pwneroni expressed interest in coming, which if he comes is like the biggest news in Oregon because he has been a big name in Brawl as well as a really great guy in general. He said he needed a ride from because his car was wrecked, so maybe I could get him hooked up with your carpool?
The other names I'd drop would be those who have been top 10 in Oregon PR - CutestLittleLucario a well known Lucario main, Jonix a top 5 player, Mesiahfreak a long-established Sonic main, Zubola a Yoshi main who has played with Amsa in Japan, Seo who is an up-and-coming already with big wins under his belt, Zayd from bay area, and Seryender from east coast who is one of the best Jigglypuffs I've seen in Sm4sh (the person you said you'd be picking up on the way down).

Haha, well any number of the Smashers I just mentioned are very capable of performing as well or better than me because they are that strong of players, imo. An event like this is great to get their names out there; It'll be a great competition for sure, but competition from very nice people who enjoy the game and love to have fun.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Just visited the site and noticed "12:30pm - Amiibo Exhibition!".

Can I feed my amiibo equipment, or do you prefer for people to use "starved" amiibo?

I've been raising my amiibo without equipment this whole time, but I'm open to feeding them for this.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Someone was asking about that same question regarding Amiibos last month. As far as I see things competition means no limitations unless otherwise stated, that includes Amiibos. But having a non-equipment Amiibo as a backup might help too.
All my Amiibos are still in their box - I just got a Sheik a couple days ago ^_^

Edit: Since there is an Amiibo event, I wonder if the Amiibo that wins gets a ranking to qualify them for the next tournament the same as players? X^D

Last edited:

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Edit: Since there is an Amiibo event, I wonder if the Amiibo that wins gets a ranking to qualify them for the next tournament the same as players? X^D
I'd love that. I think I'd drive down to Oregon again just to help defend my Amiibo's title!

T0MMY

Smash Master
I think Zayd's got a natural talent for Amiibo training, only time I've seen a JV 4 stock in an Amiibo match, and money was on the line X^)

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
I think Zayd's got a natural talent for Amiibo training, only time I've seen a JV 4 stock in an Amiibo match, and money was on the line X^)
Is that even legal?

I know money matches between real-people are considered "games-of-skill" and allowed to happen under law, but I've heard specific rulings that people are not to bet on games they do not have full control of, IE on other players, or a game of poker.

That being said, amiibo-training DOES involve the players, but is that training considered "enough" to call it a game-of-skill?

DrBonezy

Smash Rookie
This'll my first tournament and I plan on going, but can somebody tell me how to sign up? I tried to to it today but the guy working there said I'd have to wait till the day of the tournament.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
This'll my first tournament and I plan on going, but can somebody tell me how to sign up? I tried to to it today but the guy working there said I'd have to wait till the day of the tournament.
I'm pretty sure it's all an at-the-door thing.

All I've done so far is RSVP on the website, and say I'm going within this thread.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Is that even legal?
Personal bets cannot be regulated it's just not feasible to try to police everyon'es lives like that (nor do I think it would be ethical to try), so I should state that no place of business had anything to do with it.

Smash tourneys are usually signup at door. RSVPs help the TO's know how many people are going so they can make sure everyone is taken care of.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Looks like the RSVPs are also there to give a registration discount to those who bring setups with those who RSVP getting priority.
Not sure if Justin will do an RSVP in person if you go to the store, but probably easier to do it online anyway if you are reading this post X^)

Adrian6625

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adrian662
can any one tell me the rules to this i would really like to know me and my friends are tying to train for this and would like a set of rules. if any one can help that would be cool :)

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
can any one tell me the rules to this i would really like to know me and my friends are tying to train for this and would like a set of rules. if any one can help that would be cool :)
It's in the original post, but I'll be nice and not a ******bag... this time...

http://eugenegamepad.weebly.com/rules.html

The gist:

• Melee is typical Melee. Apex ruleset seems to be the set we're using, verbatim.
  • Smash 4 1v1 is 2 stock/6 min, 2v2 is 3 stock/8 minute.

All matches EXCEPT winners, losers, and grand finals are best of 3. All the finals-matches are best of 5.

First stage is determined by:
  • Competitors agreeing to a Stage (anything but banned stages)
  • Random (normal form) Stage Select (see underlined stages for random-switching)
  • Random form) Stage Select
  • Stage Strike Method (see below)
Striking Stages
  • Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Duck Hunt
  • Halberd
  • Town and City
  • Lylat Cruise

Banned Stages
  • The Great Cave Offensive
  • Palutena's Temple
  • Gaur Plain
  • Temple
  • 75m
  • Windy Hill Zone

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And that's pretty much it for actually fighting. You can use this info to practice. I still highly-suggest reading the actual rules-page, as it has a LOT more in the way of detail and tournament-procedure.

In the future, I suggest reading the original post in threads more carefully before asking questions. Not everyone is as kind as I am when your question already has an answer.

For the record, I am not affiliated with @ Gamepadnews Gamepadnews in any way, or connected to anything having to do with this tournament. I LIKE to think I'm friends with @ T0MMY T0MMY (and, to a lesser-extent because we've barely talked, @T1MMY), but that's pretty much the strongest connection I have to this whole shindig.

Last edited:

Adrian6625

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adrian662
ok thanks dude! sorry i guess that already did have a answer huh? but thanks anyway! just trying to check just to make sure

Top Bottom