• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Favorite Zelda Game Poll

What is your favorite Zelda Game?

• Total voters

WouW

Smash Lord
...I'm sure someone will shoot me for this but...I never played OoT. Mind you I am only 14. Which means I was pretty young when those games came out. I haven't really looked into playing it either. Flame away.
I'm 15 and my favorite game is Zelda 2. That means that that game was released 5 and a half years earlier than I was born. Age really doesn't matter, at all.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
...I'm sure someone will shoot me for this but...I never played OoT. Mind you I am only 14. Which means I was pretty young when those games came out. I haven't really looked into playing it either. Flame away.
Go ahead and play; it's not a difficult game. TBH, my first play through of OoT was a great memory from my childhood! (Even with the massive game over count). :laugh:

My first decent play through was only a couple of years ago, and I'm 15.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135

Play it now. You will not regret it.

YOU WILL THANK US FOR IT!!

S

smash brawl player 99021

Hey, hey! I'm actually not into Zelda games that much! I mean yeah they're good and all! But I don't like them THAT much. I'm more a FPS-Pikmin sorta fan. I did beat TP and it was pretty good. And I played WW and Phantom Hourglass but...that's really it @_@
And I could play it if I wanted to. But I'm really impatient and I don't really feel like doing it right now. I'll take a rain check?

Jonas

Smash Champion
I'd have to say that OoT is really overrated though. MM and TWW are simply far better games imo =D

Having played OoT makes WW, MM, and TP all much more fulfilling experiences.
It's funny because TP was my first Zelda game, and it wasn't until I played the others that I realized how mediocre TP really is :bee:

S

smash brawl player 99021

^ Same here. I went from TP, to PH, to WW. That's all >_>

Scott!

Smash Lord
TP isn't really a mediocre game though. It's a very good game in a series where very good is normal. Thus, it can't really stand out against the giants like OoT and WW. If TP were released as its own game without the Zelda aspects, it would be loved a lot more, I think. But because it's a Zelda game, it will always be measured up against OoT. Like it or not, OoT is the standard for perfection in a Zelda game. And not even OoT as it is, but OoT as it is fondly remembered. Nothing can really compare to that. But the Zelda series is full of solid entries. I have not played a bad Zelda game, or even a mediocre one. They have all been good. (Except Zelda II, which can die for all I care.) Even the less remarkable ones like MC or PH aren't bad. They're unremarkable, and fairly easy, so they get abuse from Zelda fans, but they're both solid.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I'd have to say that OoT is really overrated though. MM and TWW are simply far better games imo =D

It's funny because TP was my first Zelda game, and it wasn't until I played the others that I realized how mediocre TP really is :bee:
OoT overrated? Where would Zelda be without the Ocarina, the ironic climax in the middle of the game, the amazing music, the Temple of Time, sleeping for seven years, the epic ending Ganon battle, the Forest Temple, the Spirit Temple, the Shadow Temple, Castle Town getting completely destroyed, the Lens of Truth, invading Thieves Hideout, Kokori Forest, Ganon's epic castle, Kakariko ****ing Village, riding a horse for the first time, those **** carrots, Link shouting HYYAHHH!!!!, annoying Navi, the bunny hood man, gossip stones, underwater portals, those weird nocturnal skeletons, the giant moblin with a club, the broken Giant's Knife, getting swallowed by a whale, green-haired children, Ruto's eternal love, the cow in the gorge at Gerudo Valley, and not to mention, Kaepora Gae-****ing-bora!!
That was a really long sentence.

Spire

III
BRoomer

You think OoT is overrated because TP was your first. TP is basically a spiritual, modernized, sequel to OoT; WW is not. The Hyrule in TP is the same from OoT and greatly represents it. In early production, TP was supposed to be a sequel to MM involving the same Link, but rather than a direct sequel, was bumped up a century or so.

You think OoT is overrated because TP is essentially the same thing plus more. But that's like saying the first Star Wars is overrated because you think Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are better. They're all great, and so are the Legends of Zelda.

Jonas

Smash Champion
You think OoT is overrated because TP was your first. TP is basically a spiritual, modernized, sequel to OoT; WW is not. The Hyrule in TP is the same from OoT and greatly represents it. In early production, TP was supposed to be a sequel to MM involving the same Link, but rather than a direct sequel, was bumped up a century or so.

You think OoT is overrated because TP is essentially the same thing plus more. But that's like saying the first Star Wars is overrated because you think Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are better. They're all great, and so are the Legends of Zelda.
Yeah, it's definitely a matter of when you play the game. If I had played OoT the day it came out, maybe I would like it even more. That said, I also think ALttP is better than OoT, even though I didn't play it until it came out on VC :ohwell:

When I say it's overrated, it's not because I think it is a bad game. The general consensus is that it is simply the best game in the series, no question about it, and some even regard it as the best game ever. I just don't think it's THAT amazing. Sure it had many "firsts" in the Zelda series, but as a gaming experience, I don't think it is the best.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, it's definitely a matter of when you play the game. If I had played OoT the day it came out, maybe I would like it even more. That said, I also think ALttP is better than OoT, even though I didn't play it until it came out on VC :ohwell:

When I say it's overrated, it's not because I think it is a bad game. The general consensus is that it is simply the best game in the series, no question about it, and some even regard it as the best game ever. I just don't think it's THAT amazing. Sure it had many "firsts" in the Zelda series, but as a gaming experience, I don't think it is the best.
Actually, it IS the best game of all time. :)

Spire

III
BRoomer
If you go by ratings, Ocarina of Time is the best video game ever made. There's no doubt about it.

Though, in order for a game to get the "best game of all time" rating from me, it needs to have incredible replayability. Games are defined by their inviting nature to go back and play them again and again. A game could be really fun for one play through, but if you make it too complicated (for the worse), it's just not worth going back and playing it again.

I think OoT has the best replayability in the Zelda series, but not in video gaming overall.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I don't really enjoy the Zelda games in all honesty. I was gonna pick TP up the other week but decided against it, but I may do some time.

I really wasn't keen on Ocarina of Time though- I know I have only played a bit of it (I've just fought King Dodongo in that fire place), but I haven't really enjoyed it. I'll play it through the end, but hopefully it'll improve later on. The fact I don't really like FFVII tells me that the "best games of all time" aren't my cup of tea XD.

I played Majora's Mask years ago, but only the first little tiny bit, and I did actually enjoy that one, but I know nothing about it really, so I'm not gonna vote that one, but I may download it of the VC (either that or Smash 64/ Street Gangs).

The Zelda game that I did enjoy however was Link's Crossbow Training. Yes, I know it wasn't much of a game, let alone a Zelda game, but I enjoyed the few hours I spent completing that far more than I've enjoyed Ocarina of Time. I won't say OoT is bad- it's far from it, it's just that I'm not into that sort of game. Also, the fact that I'm a huge fan of all the old run and jump platformers of the Amiga, PSone and Mega Drive makes the fact that you can't jump whenever you want to aggrevating, as I enjoy merrily hopping around places.

Jonas

Smash Champion
If you go by ratings, Ocarina of Time is the best video game ever made. There's no doubt about it.
Let's go with "highest rated video game ever made" ;)
Whether a video game is great or not so great depends on who plays it.

For me, replayability is not as important as immersiveness. I don't really care if I can't play the game over and over and over again as long as I can just play it every half year or even rarer but really involve myself with the game. I'm not saying you can't do that with OoT, but I just find other games to be more immersive :p

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
For me, replayability is not as important as immersiveness. I don't really care if I can't play the game over and over and over again as long as I can just play it every half year or even rarer but really involve myself with the game. I'm not saying you can't do that with OoT, but I just find other games to be more immersive :p
This.

I find myself playing one Zelda game every 4-8 months, but when I do, I really go all out, playing non-stop, trying to add more gear in less time.

Although, I gues it helps when you got things to such a great detail, you look at the Water Temple and go, "Huh, I wonder why I ever thought this place was so d*** hard!"

Replayability in a game depends on the game. RPG's are not something you need replayability, because it takes so long to finish one cycle. But games like Mario Kart need it, cause that'll be the only thing going for it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hmm, it seems I may have been misunderstood. Replayablity in Zelda for me does not mean that I can go back and play it at any time, but rather months apart, like you said lanky. When I play the games now though, I walk around studying the formations of everything, be it sprite, polygon, or texture design. I find it fascinating to walk around in the world, exploring it as I would the real world.

So far, Twilight Princess has given me such joy far beyond any other game. I recall beating the game first in 33 hours, then spending the next 27 hours simply re-exploring Hyrule. Truly a magnificently designed game. TP perfected the "Ocarina of Time Zelda". It's grand.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Hmm, it seems I may have been misunderstood. Replayablity in Zelda for me does not mean that I can go back and play it at any time, but rather months apart, like you said lanky. When I play the games now though, I walk around studying the formations of everything, be it sprite, polygon, or texture design. I find it fascinating to walk around in the world, exploring it as I would the real world.

So far, Twilight Princess has given me such joy far beyond any other game. I recall beating the game first in 33 hours, then spending the next 27 hours simply re-exploring Hyrule. Truly a magnificently designed game. TP perfected the "Ocarina of Time Zelda". It's grand.
I found WW and TP to be the most replayable, because there is so much to explore and so many extra side quests. However, I don't think they're the best in the series, because that would never compare to the epic feel that OoT delivered that forced me to play through it multiple times, not for the side quests or the magnificent world to explore, but because the actual game is so great.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I'd say that WW is the one that I find most replayable, since it's got so much hidden stuff to find and all, but then again, I've played OoT more than 20 times all the way through. WW I've done... have I beaten it twice? No, I haven't because I never wanted to mess up my file with the epic amount of figurines I'd collected. I've only beaten TP twice. Then again, I had much more gaming time when I played OoT, being in middle school rather than college.

RainissoLink

Smash Cadet
Majora's Mask because of it's great moral lessons and amazing music. The playthrough is magical and the plot is well thought out. Oh and the masks... don't forget those things. I guess the overall feeling of it was perfect.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Majora's Mask was a big turn, and the game actually offered difficulty and length (at least back in the day). The music was also stupendous.

Loved it.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
First zelda game i ever played was a link to the past (i loved it) then ocarina of time. I accidently chose Ocarina of time, but it was very good. But, link to the past will always be in my memories. Never owned or finished ocarina of time.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Majora's Mask music is what made me vote for it. Song of Healing, Last End, return of Song of Storms, Clock Town Music. And the masks. It was so different from all other Zelda games.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'd love to change what I voted for. I decided on OoA because I was in a mega-nostalgic-for-that-game mode at the time. I'd change my vote to MM or TP now if I could.

DUCKAtl

Smash Apprentice
without a doubt Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, and the original Legend of Zelda(retrospectively)

rhan

Smash Hero
Majora's Mask music is what made me vote for it. Song of Healing, Last End, return of Song of Storms, Clock Town Music. And the masks. It was so different from all other Zelda games.
Best LoZ game soundtrack was off of Link's Awakening. Without a doubt.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to change what I voted for. I decided on OoA because I was in a mega-nostalgic-for-that-game mode at the time. I'd change my vote to MM or TP now if I could.
Oh? If you don't mind my asking, why TP? Not that I blame you, I guess I'm asking what you liked about it enough to be your favorite, since I think the games a little under appreciated IMO.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh? If you don't mind my asking, why TP? Not that I blame you, I guess I'm asking what you liked about it enough to be your favorite, since I think the games a little under appreciated IMO.
I see TP as a tried and true modern version of OoT. If OoT never existed, but TP did (somehow), it would easily be regarded as the best Zelda game of all time. The fact that upon its release so many reviewers were saying, "Best Zelda game ever?" when they could honestly not decide between it and OoT says a lot. Of course OoT wins in most debates because it came first and delivers a certain magic that TP does not, but that's just it.

I appreciate the lack of magic in TP; the lack of memorable melodies and the lack of a magic bar altogether! That, in conjunction with the obvious technological advancements in Hyrule created this maturing aspect that no other game has. Majora's Mask is mature storywise, but not in the same regards as TP. It was the overall design of the world of TP that truly captures me - from the forest region to the beautifully redesigned Kakariko Village (easily the best thing that's ever happened to Hyrule's look), to the entrenched Lake Hylia, to the entirely new "North Hyrule" regions. I loved all of it so, so, so much. What interested me the most about OoT was the design of the world, and what turned me off the most about MM was the design of the world. I chose OoA in the poll because I thought its world was incredibly interesting with heavy background information spanning two completely different ages, though, I realize now that I appreciate what the developers did with Twilight Princess so much more.

And speaking of world design, Spirit Tracks looks incredibly promising. According to a recent interview with Miyamoto (refer to the News Thread for the full thing), he said, "But what I believe is very important is the realistic, actual feeling players have experienced themselves; the feeling to have really been on an adventure, to have explored the unknown terrains, to have solved the puzzle through trial and errors, to have themselves grown through various experiences!"

That being said, it looks like they may be working to design a worldly experience, Hyrule or not, on a truly grand and epic scale with ways to explore it like never before seen. I'm incredibly excited to see what the world looks like more than anything else.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
I see TP as a tried and true modern version of OoT. If OoT never existed, but TP did (somehow), it would easily be regarded as the best Zelda game of all time. The fact that upon its release so many reviewers were saying, "Best Zelda game ever?" when they could honestly not decide between it and OoT says a lot. Of course OoT wins in most debates because it came first and delivers a certain magic that TP does not, but that's just it.

I appreciate the lack of magic in TP; the lack of memorable melodies and the lack of a magic bar altogether! That, in conjunction with the obvious technological advancements in Hyrule created this maturing aspect that no other game has. Majora's Mask is mature storywise, but not in the same regards as TP. It was the overall design of the world of TP that truly captures me - from the forest region to the beautifully redesigned Kakariko Village (easily the best thing that's ever happened to Hyrule's look), to the entrenched Lake Hylia, to the entirely new "North Hyrule" regions. I loved all of it so, so, so much. What interested me the most about OoT was the design of the world, and what turned me off the most about MM was the design of the world. I chose OoA in the poll because I thought its world was incredibly interesting with heavy background information spanning two completely different ages, though, I realize now that I appreciate what the developers did with Twilight Princess so much more.

And speaking of world design, Spirit Tracks looks incredibly promising. According to a recent interview with Miyamoto (refer to the News Thread for the full thing), he said, "But what I believe is very important is the realistic, actual feeling players have experienced themselves; the feeling to have really been on an adventure, to have explored the unknown terrains, to have solved the puzzle through trial and errors, to have themselves grown through various experiences!"

That being said, it looks like they may be working to design a worldly experience, Hyrule or not, on a truly grand and epic scale with ways to explore it like never before seen. I'm incredibly excited to see what the world looks like more than anything else.
I completely agree, and its funny because alot of people complain about the lack of a magic meter, and no musical intrument (Aside from horse call), but I was actually happy they were willing to move on from those aspecst a bit (although leaving traces of the ideas behind, such as with Ooccoo being alot like Farores wind), and I do agree they made the game feel more mature by doing this. I also think the storyline is pretty underrated, since I've never been into the plot with a Zelda game as much as I was with TP. I think alot of people thought it felt non Zelda-like, but thats just my guess.

Zant was also pretty great IMO. The fact that he had a *SPOILER* dark child-like mind in the end was pretty interesting, and although alot of people didn't like the twist, I thought it was pretty original for a Zelda game. We've seen plenty of badasses, but how often do we get a *SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER* completely insane one like Zant?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I liked the CDi Zelda games.

Forgive me if someone has done this joke already MAH BOI.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'd probably go with Ocarina of Time. Mostly, because I loved all the temples in it, every single one. I loved the Water Temple the most too. The story was fantastic and it's the only Zelda game that made me fall out of my chair because the first time I saw a Re-Dead and it screamed at me I almost peed my pants! :(

Also, haha to the Four Swords games. No love for them.

Top Bottom