• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Generation(s)?

Bing

Smash Master
I truly believe the games are better.
RBYGSC are way better then Ruby,Saphire and the ones proceeding them.

Sorry, just wanting to see who agrees with me and disagrees and why.

Could be Fun.

Im going to start by saying that a Surfing Venusaur with Tbolt is ****.

Daddy Ash

Smash Apprentice
Yellow, gold and silver were great games, went downhill a little by pearl/diamond, but I have to say white/black have really impressed so far, best games since gen 2 imo.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
in my opinion gen 3 will always be my favorite. They also fixed pretty much the whole battle system.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Eh...I'll allow the thread, since the last thread we had discussing the different generations is a few months old, just so long as it's a discussion of the different generations and not just "I like the old games better" vs. "I don't like the old games better".

I'll change the title accordingly.

JOE!

Smash Hero
my issue isnt with it just being nostalgic, it's that I rarely ever see anyone back their claims up ther than "oh I grew up with them/theyre the originals", which is strapping on the nostalgia goggles :/

M.K

Level 55
I'll give some support to Generation II for being one of the only generations with a strong cultural background. I could definitely feel the Japanese influences everywhere, and that gave a cultural background to the whole game. The geishas, particularly Ecruteak city, and some of the mannerisms made it one of the better Pokemon experiences.
Even if I didn't really like HG/SS as much as I thought I would (they did overplay Gen II), I still enjoy the experience.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Generation 3, in terms of the Pokemon themselves. I'm not one to let myself be blinded with nostalgia.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Generation II, and not because of nostalgia, I genuinely enjoyed that generation more than the rest. (if I were going by nostalgia I'd say Generation I for sure)

I liked how it was set in the future of R/B/Y and was really disappointed when I got Ruby and everything had been 'reset'. I don't hate the third generation but it really disappointed me when I played it. I was confused why they had removed so many features from the second generation.

I haven't played HG/SS and B/W (due to my broken DS), though, so I can't fully judge the 4th generation and I can't judge the fifth generation at all.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yeah, Smashboards needs a search function to prevent this from happening in the future. Someone should get the admins on that.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
II Gen because of the music, storyline, and nostalgia. HG/SS was also my favorite 4th Gen game.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Btw to Mods I was not aware that a similar thread had been made a few months ago, I just came to this area like.. a week ago...
Bumping a thread that's a few months old is generally not preferable anyway, so don't worry about it. But in the future, remember to use the search function just in case there is a more recent thread of the same topic as the one you want to create.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Gen 1 for me. It is pretty much the only generation where I know all the pokemon's names and such. I know most of Gen 2 as well, all the ones after that sort of became too much for my brain to contain. :bee:

Blue / Red are my favorites, followed by Gold / Silver

asianaussie

Smash Hero
in terms of gameplay
gen 3 > gen 2 = gen 5 > gen 4 > gen 1

in terms of pokemon
gen 1 = gen 3 > gen 4 = gen 2 = gen 5

every generation has some good pokemon, but gen 1 kicked off pokemon for a reason, and i didn't even like R/B/Y/FR/LG to be honest...

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
^ i feel like sucha nerd... I know every poke by name and typing @_@
Lol nothing wrong with that, I wish I was more like that. Often times I find myself getting the message "It's not very effective..." far more often than I should ;)

Kantrip

Kantplay
I loved the secret bases in the R/S/E era, I think they were ruined in later games (cough cough, D/P/P). I actually believe the 5th gen brought the pokemon design back to its roots while bringing the storyline and gameplay to a whole new level.

Overall for me with everything considered is actually 5>1>3>4>2

Daddy Ash

Smash Apprentice
FR/LG would be classed as Gen 3, seeing as they got released after R/S/E, same way HG/SS are Gen 4 along with D/P/Pt.

JOE!

Smash Hero
true, but until the National Dex everything is essentially as it was in gen 1, no?

(pokemon and story wise)

Patinator

Smash Champion
Generation III is and will always be my favorite... I remember getting Ruby for graduating from fourth grade, I think it was... I played it, and oh my... And then a few years later, there's Emerald, which was astounding. But somehow, I've lost my Ruby...

Hence why I impatiently await announcements about R/S remakes.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
I just found out that my favorite 4th gen pokemon was planned to be put in Ruby and Sapphire, so technically Gastrodon is a 3rd gen pokemon

JOE!

Smash Hero
^speaking of, is there any other pokes that have been confirmed to have been planned for other gens but went to X gen for whatever reason?

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
nah, i just think the story in the first one was better

only problem was a 10-year old beating a crime syndicate, but at least it was less ridiculous than all the villains past Team Rocket.

JOE!

Smash Hero
*furthers my rep of being "that guy"*

Is it just 5th gen + t3h intarwebz, or did every new gen come loaded with buckets of hate this current gen seems to get?

(also, dunno if I can rank the gens like everyone else as I sadly missed out on gen 3 D: )

Nana Banana

Smash Apprentice
First and second generation by far were my favourites. I'm pretty sure that the only generation that was in any way planned beforehand was the second. I think every single Pokemon in 3-5 was made up on the spot and pieced together fairly badly. xD

I do like a few of them, to be fair, I'm not terribly spiteful of 3, 4 and 5.

And on the topic of enemy teams...

Team Rocket is the ONLY one I acknowledge. Period.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
First and second generation by far were my favourites. I'm pretty sure that the only generation that was in any way planned beforehand was the second. I think every single Pokemon in 3-5 was made up on the spot and pieced together fairly badly. xD

I do like a few of them, to be fair, I'm not terribly spiteful of 3, 4 and 5.

And on the topic of enemy teams...

Team Rocket is the ONLY one I acknowledge. Period.
This. Gen 1 & 2 were perfect. 3 was an abomination. 4 was ok. No opinion on 5 since i haven't played it yet. And yeah, every team after rocket was a disaster :/

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
This. Gen 1 & 2 were perfect. 3 was an abomination. 4 was ok. No opinion on 5 since i haven't played it yet. And yeah, every team after rocket was a disaster :/
Surely you jest, if any generation was an abomination at was gen 2.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Surely you jest, if any generation was an abomination at was gen 2.

really? Gen 2 was the best by far. It built on the previous generation in both pokemon and story. On top of that, you could actually go back to Kanto and see the world as it had changed over the past 3 years. It introduced time changes and eggs, as well as a more streamlined happiness system. The pokemon were much better conceptualized for Gen 2 as well since they were planned out from the beginning and used (as i've said) as a continuation of Gen 1 in the evolution line.

It felt more like an actual progression in the games, whereas Gen 3 took out time, completely ignored any pas generations, and introduced a ton of new pokemon with the majority being easily forgettable. On top of that, the legendaries for Gen 3 were unoriginal (even more unoriginal than Celebi as the grass mew). Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Jurachi, Deoxys, Latios and Latias. Not only were they stupid looking, but they added nothing to the pokemon world. It was a pointless game with a mediocre story, largely forgettable cast/list of new pokemon, fewer game mechanics than the previous generation, and used what were honestly some of the most annoying over world sprites i've ever seen.

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
If I had to rank them based on the in-game:

5, 2, 1, 4, 3

Now if it's competitive play, it'd be:

4, 3, 1, 2
(5 unranked)

Top Bottom