• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A FALCON ASK !! Q&A and FAQ

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
Step 1) Dash
Step 2) C-stick up
Step 3) ???
Step 4) Profit
lol sorry i thought you said forward smash im stupid lol. Yeah i know how to do that i do it all the time, actually get kills off of it when they spotdodge

Asdfpie

Smash Rookie
...so someone posted a video about footstool and locks invovled.
Is it guaranteed to EVER get a footstool to dair (lock) ftilt (relock) to falcon punch? Or can they escape before the punch?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
When playing either FFA for team battle... lots of them seem to come down to me and one of two other people.

At which point I am facing someone who is going to do lot's and lots of role dodging... as in that is his main mean's of moving unless he wants to get on a platform.

How to punish? Different tactics for different %?

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
When playing either FFA for team battle... lots of them seem to come down to me and one of two other people.

At which point I am facing someone who is going to do lot's and lots of role dodging... as in that is his main mean's of moving unless he wants to get on a platform

How to punish? Different tactics for different %?
You have to read the roll. If he rolls towards you, turn around and grab or jab or dash attack. If he rolls away from you, dash attack, dash grab, falcon kick and raptor boost tend to be preferred options.

In case you don't feel safe at guessing, play defensively until he rolls towards you, then turn around and jab on reaction.

VileMK2

Smash Rookie
How i can add to my playstyle shorthop uairs? i've been trying to do them however i dont know in what situations i should use them, however it seems that if you space it well FF uair cant be shield grabbed.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Would you guys be interested in a weekly, Falcon only, tournament online? Just a thought, wanna see what y'all think.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Played some 2 vs 2 online with a friend last night.

Noticing that... well I can' freaking get combos going.

My dash grab constantly missed making the dthrow ->Uair nearly useless...

I tried the dash attack but that is punishable by quite a few characters dsmash.

Any ideas how to get combos started? If I understand right Falcon's strengths are in large part his air game but I am not making anything out of that.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Played some 2 vs 2 online with a friend last night.

Noticing that... well I can' freaking get combos going.

My dash grab constantly missed making the dthrow ->Uair nearly useless...

I tried the dash attack but that is punishable by quite a few characters dsmash.

Any ideas how to get combos started? If I understand right Falcon's strengths are in large part his air game but I am not making anything out of that.
It takes some practice to get used to dashgrab's range, but it gets really messy online with inputs getting eaten by lag and input delay being a jerk.

The general rule for gettiing a dashgrab going is to play defensively, not losing stage control and trying to stay at dashgrab's range away from your opponent. When the opponnent whiffs, hits your shield or tries to commit too hard, dashgrab as a punish and feel free to rack all damage you deserve.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Things change a lot when you play doubles. As Falcon you have big mobility so your best plan is to capitalize on your team mate's movements. If you want to get a dash grab then wait for your mate to attack the opponent and try to synchronize your grab so that it connects right after the attack, this way you'll grab if he shields. Else you want to be using your fast lagless moves a lot : Jab, Dtilt, Uair, Bair, Nair. You can't combo off them on your own, but your mate should be able to capitalize on them if he's paying attention.

So yeah, when playing 2v2 the best way to start a combo is to look at what your mate's doing, and inversely you are his best combo starter. It's very important to not play doubles as 2 1v1s where you get to switch opponents but rather as 2 2v1s where you have to both switch focus between your two opponents. Kinda like juggling.

I lost yesterday at my locals against a Villager player. Any tips?
You have to respect his Fair and Bair but not his side B. Don't try to gimp him unless you can go for the Bair stagespike or Dair when he doesn't have his balloons out. Learn to perfect shield his slingshot and don't stay on the ledge too much.
If he likes to abuse his Gyro you can dash attack him on reaction.

Would you guys be interested in a weekly, Falcon only, tournament online? Just a thought, wanna see what y'all think.
I think there's already been some tourneys on the Falcon skype, you should ask there.

How i can add to my playstyle shorthop uairs? i've been trying to do them however i dont know in what situations i should use them, however it seems that if you space it well FF uair cant be shield grabbed.
So didn't you answer your own question lol ? Use Uair when you can't be punished for it.

VileMK2

Smash Rookie
So didn't you answer your own question lol ? Use Uair when you can't be punished for it.
I was meaning for when it's a good moment to use it because three's other ways of punishing other that uair and sometimes there are better options that can't be punished, i was meaning in what situations using SH uairs would be the best option.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
While messing around in training mode I... I don't want to use the word "discovered" because there is little to no chance a medicore player like myself was the 1st to figure something out... but I was working on low jumps when I naired, and hit the ground before the 2nd kick could land. I comboed (maybe not true) that into a few things.

There is a good chance I may have read this somewhere then forgotten it...

Anyway i this a piece of Falcon's game? How big? Worth practicing? Viable against a target who will actually hit back?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
While messing around in training mode I... I don't want to use the word "discovered" because there is little to no chance a medicore player like myself was the 1st to figure something out... but I was working on low jumps when I naired, and hit the ground before the 2nd kick could land. I comboed (maybe not true) that into a few things.

There is a good chance I may have read this somewhere then forgotten it...

Anyway i this a piece of Falcon's game? How big? Worth practicing? Viable against a target who will actually hit back?
It's a tool. Captain Falcon's combo game is very fluid, so anything you think can continue a combo should be used. Honestly, I view AC SHNairs more as approach tools than combo tools, but they have their uses. For example, Dthrow>Nair>ACNair>Jab combo works pretty well on some characters, and if your opponent misses the tech you can do a dash attack and get some uairs in, or a Knee if you're good.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
It's a tool. Captain Falcon's combo game is very fluid, so anything you think can continue a combo should be used. Honestly, I view AC SHNairs more as approach tools than combo tools, but they have their uses. For example, Dthrow>Nair>ACNair>Jab combo works pretty well on some characters, and if your opponent misses the tech you can do a dash attack and get some uairs in, or a Knee if you're good.
Dumb question:

ACNair? Does that mean Auto-Cancel nair?

And that knee... I have so much trouble sweet spotting it when it counts.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Dumb question:

ACNair? Does that mean Auto-Cancel nair?

And that knee... I have so much trouble sweet spotting it when it counts.
Yep, AC=Autocanceled.

As for the knee... I asked Fatality about it (he comes to my local) and he says it's just a matter of practice.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
@ C CrazyPerson what you discovered is refered as first hit Nair. It opens a lot of true combos and even some funny footstool follow ups (first hit Nair>footstool is true on some characters) but since it has low range and low damage it is relatively unsafe on shield.

Use it with caution and great things will come to you.

And yeah the knee comes with practice so don't give up.

Last edited:

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
whats the best spacing option sfor falcon. I feel extended dash dancing works along with bairs and fallin uairs

Aquasition

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8948-2851
Is Falcon full-on rushdown in a similar vein Meta-Knight and Sonic, or is He considered Bait-and-Punish, or a mix of the two?

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
Is Falcon full-on rushdown in a similar vein Meta-Knight and Sonic, or is He considered Bait-and-Punish, or a mix of the two?
he is a bait and punish. I like to say wait til ur opponent F***s up and then punish accordingly with a dash grab or somesort. He is more Passive aggressive.

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
he is a bait and punish. I like to say wait til ur opponent F***s up and then punish accordingly with a dash grab or somesort. He is more Passive aggressive.
well thats for high level falcon, if your a for glory falcon you just try to run in and grab lol but dont be a for glory falcon

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Just curious, is there some property of falcon's jump that makes it easy to do accidental JC Upsmashes? Like i want to do a quick SH Uair or something but it literally always comes out as a JC Upsmash...

I do not have this problem with any other characters that have the same jump squat frames.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Just curious, is there some property of falcon's jump that makes it easy to do accidental JC Upsmashes? Like i want to do a quick SH Uair or something but it literally always comes out as a JC Upsmash...

I do not have this problem with any other characters that have the same jump squat frames.
Yeah, that happens. I've held up for 1 second before jumping and trying to uair, and it still comes out as an usmash. Other characters do this too, but I'm not sure how many or if it's all of them.

Best solution is to wait until you're off the ground before trying to uair.

Last edited:

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Hello Captain falcon players. I have a question, why is CP not considered A class tier? To me he seems alot better than ness who is A class, and faster more powerful than sonic (who is also A class) with his attacks. Plus he's probably the number one character I see online, it boggles my mind why he's considered B class. Its one thing to be fast, but he;s fast, super super powerful, and has the best grab in the game

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that happens. I've held up for 1 second before jumping and trying to uair, and it still comes out as an usmash. Other characters do this too, but I'm not sure how many or if it's all of them.

Best solution is to wait until you're off the ground before trying to uair.
That is good to hear... last tournament with friends (just something with friends, not competitive rules) I threw that tactic out of my game plan to avoid being punished...

I have so much more trouble getting the short hop air game of Falcon going than I do Ike (not my main but I play him in for fun doubles a lot).

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Hello Captain falcon players. I have a question, why is CP not considered A class tier? To me he seems alot better than ness who is A class, and faster more powerful than sonic (who is also A class) with his attacks. Plus he's probably the number one character I see online, it boggles my mind why he's considered B class. Its one thing to be fast, but he;s fast, super super powerful, and has the best grab in the game
Captain Falcon's recovery is very linear and telegraphed. In addition, he's is a rushdown character, but he has rather limited and punishable approach options. He's still fast, strong, heavy, has great combos, and kills about 20% earlier than most characters, but with his poor recovery and limited approach options, he's just barely edged out of top 10. If he's not top 15, I'd say he's close.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon's recovery is very linear and telegraphed. In addition, he's is a rushdown character, but he has rather limited and punishable approach options. He's still fast, strong, heavy, has great combos, and kills about 20% earlier than most characters, but with his poor recovery and limited approach options, he's just barely edged out of top 10. If he's not top 15, I'd say he's close.

Is there an... I don't want to say official but well done tier list? I know there are a bunch of community ones... but I know if people like me (who haven't put in the hours that the best do) are voting... it won't wind up very accurate.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
No there aren't. There are various japanese 1.0.4 tier lists hanging around on the internet that you could easily find on google, but nothing is up to date with the latest yet.

You can buffer Uair from a jump, you need to tilt the stick halfway up. If you tilt it too much you'll Usmash, if you don't tilt it enough you'll Nair. Or you can do like Iceweasel said and wait until the end of the jumpsquat before inputting the Uair.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for your reply. I see what you mean, but I still think he's atleast as good as Ness or Sonic if not better in ranking

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Take a gander at 0:40 in this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0vTjqr_kMFI

Now I'm no falcon noob but I really don't know what The inputs he's doing here are. He's approaching with jab which I want to learn.

Now I've tried fox trot to PP (perfect pivot) but that will face falcon the opposite way. Is he really fox trotting into a dash dance PP? Since that's the only think I could think of.

If correct, would the input be
--->, ---> (foxtrot), ---><--- (singular dash dance), --->(1 frame)<--- (Perfect pivot)

Any knowledge on this appreciated. Very useful tech I want to nail and need to make sure I know what's happening

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Take a gander at 0:40 in this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0vTjqr_kMFI

Now I'm no falcon noob but I really don't know what The inputs he's doing here are. He's approaching with jab which I want to learn.

Now I've tried fox trot to PP (perfect pivot) but that will face falcon the opposite way. Is he really fox trotting into a dash dance PP? Since that's the only think I could think of.

If correct, would the input be
--->, ---> (foxtrot), ---><--- (singular dash dance), --->(1 frame)<--- (Perfect pivot)

Any knowledge on this appreciated. Very useful tech I want to nail and need to make sure I know what's happening
It's AC Nair to jab.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
In this case the inputs would be
:GCR:*:GCR::GCL::GCR::GCN::GCA:
Dash forward, foxtrot>dash dance>dash dance cancel (true/perfect pivot)>jab

It's important to let the stick go back to neutral before inputting the jab.

@ Iceweasel Iceweasel the Nair isn't autocanceled, it's land canceled. So it's better to call it LC Nair or first hit Nair for better comprehension.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
so your stay you don't have to dash dance and then
In this case the inputs would be
:GCR:*:GCR::GCL::GCR::GCN::GCA:
Dash forward, foxtrot>dash dance>dash dance cancel (true/perfect pivot)>jab

It's important to let the stick go back to neutral before inputting the jab.

@ Iceweasel Iceweasel the Nair isn't autocanceled, it's land canceled. So it's better to call it LC Nair or first hit Nair for better comprehension.
So you're saying that you don't need to dash dance and then PP but rather you can use the last dash on the dash dance as multipurpose for the first input of the PP? That works? crazy. Thanks!

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Perfect pivotting is just canceling a dash dance really. So you can dash dance 10 times into perfect pivot if you want, or even dash dance into fox trot into dash dance into PP. It needs you to have a very good rythm though

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Perfect pivotting is just canceling a dash dance really. So you can dash dance 10 times into perfect pivot if you want, or even dash dance into fox trot into dash dance into PP. It needs you to have a very good rythm though
Yeah I know all that jazz. Just the inputs surprised me with dash dance canceling into PP. Thanks again!

Top Bottom