• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falco Social (Where We Prefer The Air And The Points Don't Matter!)

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Salutations, my fellow bird mains. I've recently joined the ranks of being one myself. So I hope to be more active around the boards here. Fly safe my friends. Over and out.

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Cool, Cool. More Burd mains. Pro tip: Our back air is broken. Abuse it
Oh, I knew that for a while. I did a lot of labbing with him before I mained him because of the rotation. So basically, I know most of Falco's kit.

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
Greetings, fellow Falco mains. I've been using him since the release of 3ds. His play style and his ability to gimp well was good enough for me to main the bird.

Now if I could start talking more instead of staying mute....

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Cool, Cool. More Burd mains. Pro tip: Our back air is broken. Abuse it
While it is true that his B-air is quite the broken move. I feel like his F-air is one of his best approach options and that most people (at least I haven't seen anyone talking about it) don't realize. The thing that makes it so radical is the extra hit you get when you land, most people will drop shield and not realize that it has that freshly baked hit.

Also Hi Fellow Space F-airing Falcos, i'm fairly new around here but it's never the less nice to meet you all
:4falco::roypm:

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
While it is true that his B-air is quite the broken move. I feel like his F-air is one of his best approach options and that most people (at least I haven't seen anyone talking about it) don't realize. The thing that makes it so radical is the extra hit you get when you land, most people will drop shield and not realize that it has that freshly baked hit.

Also Hi Fellow Space F-airing Falcos, i'm fairly new around here but it's never the less nice to meet you all
:4falco::roypm:
The problem with f-air is the landing lag. 32 frames of landing lag is a lot compared to 15 frames for the rest of his aerials (I'm pretty sure those numbers are correct). The final hit does catch opponents off guard, but I don't think it should be the main approach tool. I personally try to only use f-air off stage to gimp or d-throw -> f-air. Like everything in smash it's best to mix up and remain unpredictable. If you haven't looked at it yet, the combos and approach thread has a lot of great ideas.

Edit: Also Mod can we get this thread sticky'd please?

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I've recently picked up Falco because I was curious how he plays, and I've found that the bird can be incredibly satisfying to use. I think it might be because I'm coming from Mega Man, but even though they have way different properties and strengths in terms of mobility (though they both have super sick back airs), I find the type of decision-making comparable.

Even though the blaster is in some ways the opposite of how Mega Man's pea shooter works, there's just something similarly satisfying about pin pricking the opponent with individual lasers peppered into the rest of your attacks. Predict a roll away from across the screen? Laser. Expect them to try and land at a spot where Falco isn't quick enough to reach? Laser. Counter-intuitively, the fact that they do a measly 3% per hit somehow makes them feel better.

One thing Falco has that most of the other characters I use don't possess (especially Mega Man) is just a simple and effective f-tilt. That said, I sort of see it like Mega Man's basic jab combo as well: something with good range and speed that you can use to quickly punish a missed or mis-spaced action. The big difference is that Falco's f-tilt can knock opponents off-stage.

I know Fox is the better character and all, but I think I find Falco to just be more fun to play. It's not about high tier vs mid/low tier or whatever. The Falco style is more my speed.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
The problem with f-air is the landing lag. 32 frames of landing lag is a lot compared to 15 frames for the rest of his aerials (I'm pretty sure those numbers are correct). The final hit does catch opponents off guard, but I don't think it should be the main approach tool. I personally try to only use f-air off stage to gimp or d-throw -> f-air. Like everything in smash it's best to mix up and remain unpredictable. If you haven't looked at it yet, the combos and approach thread has a lot of great ideas.

Yah I do get what your saying and I do think that it would be a better mix-up tool rather than a standard approach

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
He feels very natural to me now and does what I want him to for the most part. I've downgraded from Rosalina to MK to Falco, no regrets.

Rosa is just quite boring and does not match my playstyle. Also felt I was not growing as fast with her.

MK is quite fun and very viable, but I hate that his forward and neutral aerials don't autocancel. Shuttle loop deeply frustrated me at times, but I do miss it when I play other characters lol. I always sucked at doing his dash attack -> up air x5 -> shuttle loop. Anyway, he forced me to put in way more effort to win than Rosa and taught me how to be offensive and capitalize on edge guarding.

Falco... he just forces me to be absolutely pristine solid with my fundamentals. I HAVE to get that ledge trump. I HAVE to space my bair perfectly so he cannot shield grab if he blocks it. etc. I love that I can throw out aerials in the neutral far more freely than MK and that I have a projectile and reflector too.

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
:falcomelee: I was 11 when Melee came out so I played Falco cause I loved his charterer in Star Fox 64.

:falco: I originally picked him up in Brawl because one of my friends was a notorious spammer, and since Falco has a projectile and reflect it helped counter that. The more I played Brawl the more I loved his entire move set, and he became by best character.

:4falco:Before Sm4sh came out I decided I would try to main Greninja, but I feel too out of control when I play him. The problem I have with maining Falco in this game is that there are so many good characters that it's hard for me to choose who's my favorite. I guess that's a good problem to have though.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Falco... he just forces me to be absolutely pristine solid with my fundamentals. I HAVE to get that ledge trump. I HAVE to space my bair perfectly so he cannot shield grab if he blocks it. etc. I love that I can throw out aerials in the neutral far more freely than MK and that I have a projectile and reflector too.
This is the same reason I'm maining him in this rotation.

So just seeing as how I didn't see anyone asking this, I was curious. Why did you guys choose Falco as your main?
There's a lot of factors for me Reputation, Viability, Lab time, Representation, Ease of Use, Customs, Uniqueness, and how a character 'feels'.

I'm surprised this wasn't sticky'd in the first place.

Last edited:

Xxaz_v

Smash Cadet
I choose falco cuz my friend said that he would give me $1000 if I went on a 100 win streak on for glory with him. I did get the money.

Cyril Epix

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cyril_Epix
Ola guys,
i first picked up :falco: in Brawl where i enjoyed his fast play style very much. *nostalgic about his F-air having less landing lag*
I picked him up in Sm4sh about a month ago and finally learned most of the tricks and trade a falco player has to know.
I originally mained Mario, but his whole "grab U-tilt" gimmick got a tad boring after a while, nevertheless fun to play though.
I feel like i can do a lot of different approaches with Falco and i feel less tied to 1 specific playstyle.
From constantly spacing N-airs or a switch up with with a lag-canceled D-air, i love falco in every way.

Plus, his side taunt makes people hella salty if you manage KO them.
"Get some"

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
I choose falco cuz my friend said that he would give me $1000 if I went on a 100 win streak on for glory with him. I did get the money.
H-h-how? Did you manage to do something like that with the the guy who personally prefers the air and is like hella bad

Cyril Epix

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cyril_Epix
H-h-how? Did you manage to do something like that with the the guy who personally prefers the air and is like hella bad
Don't worry, i wanted to call bs as well. Then i remembered FG is full of books...cus...you know why...
But still....rather fishy. @ Xxaz_v Xxaz_v If it isn't bs, the congratz though. ^^

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Guys, I just realized that Fast Firebird is secretly top tier. No, this isn't about the Fire Slide. Just the move in GENERAL is ridiculous on Falco.

It's basically a nerfed Quick Attack, but given Quick Attack is the best move in the game, that's not really a bad comparison. Fast Firebird gives you mobility that in most cases exceeds reaction time, which gets you out of trouble, lets you mix up approaches (followup potential unfortunately is weaker than Quick Attack), all that good stuff. Falco's biggest weakness is overall his negative state and limited air approach options, and Fast Firebird by itself is versatile enough to fill in that gap.

While there's definitely still several matchups where Distant Firebird is still optimal for recovery and edgeguarding, Fast Firebird's advantages for Falco's general negative state are pretty hard to ignore.

Haven't seen anyone discuss Fast Firebird like this, so I'm bringing it up.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Haven't seen anyone discuss Fast Firebird like this, so I'm bringing it up.
Ahem. :p

When customs were first looked at, it was all about recovery which makes little in a game where ledge mechanics turn bad recoveries to decent ones and where recoveries in general are better. People were all over Distant Fire Bird, but here's the thing, Falco was plagued by having a exploitable recovery since Melee. The reason it didn't matter was because of how overwhelming he, Captain Falcon, Fox, Marth, and even Ganondorf were. Ditto in Brawl and it's something you can say for Little Mac and Dr. Mario. If a character never has to leave the stage involuntarily, then they could have the worst recovery and it wouldn't matter since they would make others leave the stage if not outright killing them.

For me, it's Fast Fire Bird > default Fire Bird > Distant Fire Bird. Fast Fire Bird sacrifices little distance for immensely increased speed and gives Falco a second burst movement. Few characters boast multiple burst movements even with customs. I can only think of Ganondorf who has like three: Dash Attack, Flame Choke, and Wizard's Foot which is kind of ironic since Ganondorf is a slow moving fighter. Distant Fire Bird travels half of Final Destination for longer charge time and a slower travel speed; it travels even less than Fox's Fire Fox which covers about 2/3's of Final Destination while charging similarly to default Fire Bird. Fox on the other hand gets a kill option through Twisting Fox and Flying Fox functions a bit like a slower, no hitbox version of Fast Fire Bird. I don't have all of Fox's customs unlocked, but I would pick Flying Fox for recovery reasons since I'd rather not deal with recovering that low with Fire Fox and Twisting Fox for offense and MU reasons, so Flying Fox/Twisting Fox > Fire Fox.

Falco's already slow; there's no reason to make him slower and I'd rather have a really strong offense as a good defense. That's just me, but I really wished more Falco players would use Fast Fire Bird and I've only seen GimR use it (once) while others like Kato and Liquid opt for Distant Fire Bird. More usage of Explosive Blaster would be cool too.

Edit: You can shorten Fast Fire Bird and maybe Flying Fox's travel distance on the ground if you hold down instead of left or right. Mindgames?

Last edited:

LaLz101

Smash Rookie
NNID
LaLz101
3DS FC
4742-8227-9489
Hey everyone, I'm another falco main
I've recently switched from fox to falco, not regretting it at all lol

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
There's even a video about it. :p

Edit: I'll need to remember this for the Roy MU thread.

I wonder if tomorrow's patch will feature any balancing or tweaks to any character.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Dear Falco mains,
I regret to inform you that due to recent events I will be switching my mains from Falco to Roy. I knew that eventually this would happen but I never knew it was this soon. I'm deeply sorry to all of you and i wish you all the best of luck and hey, maybe I'll see some of you on the battlefield. Thanks for everything

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Eh, I'll be maining Falco, seconding Roy - the redone voice clips with the same VA are great -, and Wolf would be the co-main... So, it'd be like Falco and Wolf with Roy. They're all stylish characters or characters that just appeal to me in some way like Falco challenges me and his air game's different because of that high jump, Wolf's a savage and brutal fighter which is wicked, and Roy, well I liked Roy in Melee, but his voice always irritated me, now, it's better and the way he fights is different than Marth now - he uses a lot of reverse grip swings -, so that's bonus.

Now, if the impossible happened where Ratchet & Clank were playable or if Impa popped up, then there's going to be some issues with who I want to play. Falco's someone who I want to prove he's a good character and can stand on his own, but then there are all these other characters... So many characters.

ShineFantasm

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4038-5988-2002
Hey guys ! Found a nerf in the 1.0.8 patch, upair dealing 10% instead of 11 now, why :(

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hey guys ! Found a nerf in the 1.0.8 patch, upair dealing 10% instead of 11 now, why :(
Might want to use this thread instead: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-patch-history.375247/.

And be sure to reference the frame data thread. The issue is that everyone is hyped about Lucas, Ryu, and Roy and the fact it's Sunday means not a lot of people are going to check. Oh, and I heard there's been some server issues because so many people are trying to get them. I wonder if there's a bundle...

ShineFantasm

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4038-5988-2002
Might want to use this thread instead: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-patch-history.375247/.

And be sure to reference the frame data thread. The issue is that everyone is hyped about Lucas, Ryu, and Roy and the fact it's Sunday means not a lot of people are going to check. Oh, and I heard there's been some server issues because so many people are trying to get them. I wonder if there's a bundle...
I will then :)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Huh, I never knew that since I only played SFIV. Falco's Up Smash is Charlie's Flash Kick which would make Fox's Up Smash Guile's Flash Kick, but what about Yoshi?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I never realized how many other :4metaknight: mains also use :4falco:. It's kinda strange lol.

Anyway, I'm Technology. I'm an up and coming :4metaknight:main from Midwest. I'm starting to get a lot of recognition with him and my results are getting progressively better. I've always enjoyed :4falco: and was really happy to see him buffed significantly in the last patch. I'm not sure how he does against characters like :4yoshi:and :4zss:but I certainly am digging the changes to him. Comboing people across the stage is always fun.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Yoshi vs Falco isn't fun for Falco and IDK about ZSS players and I haven't played a competent one to say on it.

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I'm a Yoshi main and Falco has been free since 1.0.0
I picked up falco like last week though, and he must have gotten buffed alot since day one because jeez he feels like a real character now. Idk maybe he can do better in that matchup now.
Speaking off idk if this is useful, but if you jab really close to the ledge, you end up falling off before the last hit, I didn't know about this and kept pressing A and I ended up nairing the guy directly out of the jab off stage and dragged him down a bit. Did you guys know about this already? maybe it's useful

Edit: Edit I tried it out a bit in for glory and I side b'd towards the stage and got a pretty cheese spike on someone who was trying to jump out of the jab lmao.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm a Yoshi main and Falco has been free since 1.0.0
I picked up falco like last week though, and he must have gotten buffed alot since day one because jeez he feels like a real character now. Idk maybe he can do better in that matchup now.
Speaking off idk if this is useful, but if you jab really close to the ledge, you end up falling off before the last hit, I didn't know about this and kept pressing A and I ended up nairing the guy directly out of the jab off stage and dragged him down a bit. Did you guys know about this already? maybe it's useful
Already known. There's also a thread Cyro made on it in the front page.

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
eh, I main mario but like, mario is kinda boring to use in smash 4, still love him tho. Anyways I'm here cuz I also picked up falco since the patch, I used him before, but not to the extent which I use him now. I have no idea how other falcos play, but once the YouTube feature is up, I want to display my falco to others and I want you guys to critique it. I find Dair to be a move I use a lot to punish people recovering low.

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
eh, I main mario but like, mario is kinda boring to use in smash 4, still love him tho. Anyways I'm here cuz I also picked up falco since the patch, I used him before, but not to the extent which I use him now. I have no idea how other falcos play, but once the YouTube feature is up, I want to display my falco to others and I want you guys to critique it. I find Dair to be a move I use a lot to punish people recovering low.
The YouTube feature is going to help a ton. Now there really won't be an excuse for not sharing videos. I know I've had replays I would have shared, but no way of doing it. All the video threads on the boards are going to explode.

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
The YouTube feature is going to help a ton. Now there really won't be an excuse for not sharing videos. I know I've had replays I would have shared, but no way of doing it. All the video threads on the boards are going to explode.
Yea, makes sense. Although, I have one question to ask, who's a notable falco???? I haven't seen anyone too outgoing with him at all.

Top Bottom