• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falco Social (Where We Prefer The Air And The Points Don't Matter!)

Forty4

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePriceIsWrong
Falco is probably the most honest character in Smash 4. He plays like a boxer going in and out striking when you can.
I think Falco's pretty good at gimping and baiting opponents. His B-air is in my opinion, the BEST B-air in the game. Frame 3, Lagless, does a hefty chunk of dmg, and murders at 80% near the ledge if sweet spotted.
People seem to struggle getting kills with Falco or find it hard to approach.
D-throw is your best friend, sets up so many options for you to play around with.
Falco isn't technical at all compared to Peach so he should be easier for you to pick up.
Don't be afraid of using both the lazers and reflector. They both have their uses, lazers for approach, and reflector to change the momentum of the game.

Speaking of hard to approach, I don't see many Falco players implementing the SH Airdodge Nair Cancel as a mean of approach. It honestly needs to be researched a lot more.
Thanks, I'll try to practice with him before studying for my test tomorrow.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So, ZeRo and Shofu have backed up and talked about Falco. Both of them say Falco is a character that wins by skill and he's not bad, but more methodical than say, Sonic who can run circles around you and do things on the fly, Captain Falcon who to me is an all or nothing fighter, and Link who's a master of walling out people with projectiles and being able to switch from ranged to close combat whenever. Falco is more like Marth, Lucina, Kirby, Ganondorf, and maybe Samus, Dr. Mario, Mario, Ike, Zelda, and Greninja who are more fundamentals based characters who don't abuse or exploit much and rely more on being able to stay calm during combat and punishing heavily which allows them to control the pace of the battle since you don't know how they will counter you. I would even add a defensive, punisher-style Little Mac to this which makes sense since there's two styles of boxing: counterpuncher - self-explanatory - or an out-boxer who spaces well and just doesn't let you get close to him and hit him. Simply put, they play smart to win.

Then again, if you play smart like ZeRo with his Diddy, then you can pretty much win or have an easier time against everyone. It's the mastery of fundamentals and those characters require a mastery of fundamentals.

The videos are in the video thread, but they're here. ZeRo's thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jj-c2nDn0s.

Shofu's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpmox-j2_Kc.

Also, it feels good to hear ZeRo and Shofu talk about Falco. I remember Keitaro talking about him too, but it was during a live match as a commentator, so he couldn't just go on a monologue about Falco and ignore the match.

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
That's pretty darn cool to hear, and hopefully will make a lot of people rethink Falco's potential. While I don't think he'll be sharing spotlights with the likes of ZSS, Rosalina, or Ness, Falco definitely has a lot of tools that let him compete if the player has the skills to play at a very competent level. I've no doubt that at very high levels, Falco is probably on the level of Mario as a character with great potential in my opinion.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
They both have their uses, lazers for approach,
Excuse me but you might have mistaken this thread with the Melee Falco social.

Approach with lasers ? In smash 4 ? Please tell me nobody does that.

Also hello, I enjoy Falco in Smash 4. I like abusing the range of his jab, chaining dash attacks together and failing spikes offstage, killing myself in the process.

Zionaze

Smash Ace

Approach with lasers ? n smash 4 ? Please tell me nobody does that.

Also hello, I enjoy Falco in Smash 4. I like abusing the range of his jab, chaining dash attacks together and failing spikes offstage, killing myself in the process.
i forgot to change it so that you use lazers to FORCE an approach

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Makes me wonder; does Falco really prefer the air?
Given the choice on how to hit his opponents, he prefers to keep them in the air.

Same with how he prefers traveling. He's got an Arwing.

Same with his favorite shoes. Bet Falco has a whole closet full of custom bird-size Air Jordans.

What does Falco love breathing? Air.

Falco's favorite characters in 2D fighters are the ones with air dashes.

Falco loves him some Kirby games, just floating in the air all day.

He customized his landmaster to carry others in the air, because Falco cares.

Guess where you'll be spending most of your time at in the Diddy matchup the moment you get grabbed.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

Approach with lasers ? In smash 4 ? Please tell me nobody does that.

We at the Flaoc Boards hope you enjoy your stay.
In the air. :4falco:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Figured I'd go to the social threads and post my silhouettes. Enjoy!

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Someone remembered we exist?
This has to be some kind of ruse.
At the very least they remembered us enough that we got a mod.

Whether that's a good thing or not is up to opinion, I kinda liked the idea of a lawless board where Falco mains run wild having matchup discussions that either go "I DUNNO MAN IT COULD GO EITHER WAY" or "80-20 WHY CAN'T FALCO FLY" and talking about how the next DLC character will inevitably have people rating them as better than Falco before and after release.

And I guess some videos and we raid some other character social threads or something to remind people we exist.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
These boards would still have other mods checking every now and again. I think the Greninja boards don't have a mod because there are other mods who check end a lot since they play Greninja a lot. It's complicated really since we have Lucas mod(s) and Mewtwo has a mod, but those make more sense because of speculation.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
These boards would still have other mods checking every now and again. I think the Greninja boards don't have a mod because there are other mods who check end a lot since they play Greninja a lot. It's complicated really since we have Lucas mod(s) and Mewtwo has a mod, but those make more sense because of speculation.
I dunno man I liked my idea better.

Maybe the Falco board should be mods for the Greninja board.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
They're organized and they have like 3 mods there checking in frequently.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Would you guys say Falco's customs do a bit to change his gameplay or something? I don't exactly main or play Falco all too much, but he is my favorite character from Star Fox and I like him a lot in other smash games. Wanted to know if his customs make him any better.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Falco to me seems pretty much the same unless you start using Fast Fire bird. That thing makes Falco play completely differently.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
I came here to show this to you all:

Now I shall probably never return. Goodbye, Falco social.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Would you guys say Falco's customs do a bit to change his gameplay or something? I don't exactly main or play Falco all too much, but he is my favorite character from Star Fox and I like him a lot in other smash games. Wanted to know if his customs make him any better.
Reflector Void gives Falco a way to kill at a slight range in the air and Explosive Blaster can be used to edgeguard similar to Sheik's Burst Grenade, but weaker. The rest aside from Fast Fire Bird, especially if you land the perfect slide, doesn't really change Falco much. Falco gains options and those options are sometimes play style dependent.

I came here to show this to you all:

Now I shall probably never return. Goodbye, Falco social.
Falco's actually a pheasant. :p

Djent

Smash Champion
At the risk of getting everyone's hopes up, I think Based Bird has a good chance of receiving a few buffs. He's one of the few characters who has been at or near the bottom of every tier list released so far. If he does receive buffs that matter, and customs remain legal, I think we could actually be looking at a pretty good character in the long run.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Hey guys.

I used Falco in Star Fox: Assault because it was fun to struggle with that unreasonably tiny amount of health that he had. Despite having the endurance of a wet napkin compared to the rest of the cast, he was pretty speedy, and using the Arwing with Falco was better since it controlled much more smoothly under him. He was outclassed by Wolf who had identical stats in every category except health (Wolf had 5 stars, Falco had 1 v__v). What I don't understand is why he didn't have a better jump stat, and why he isn't faster in Smash Bros. lol.

I think Falco's name was more of a convenience thing than a species thing. Like Ffamran pointed out, Falco is a pheasant, but "Falco" is a real name, so it works out despite it not matching his species.

I have a pretty good record with Falco on For Glory and against my friends. Since Melee he's been a muscle memory tertiary, but in Smash 4 I do a lot better with him for some reason.

Additionally I like Falco because he has digital style. *camera snap*

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
That neon green on his boots is so 90s

Also we can't keep having this board dead for 24 hour periods of time man what's the deal here??

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
Gotta love playing Falco. I don't really like using customs though, not just for Falco but for any character. They just add more unnecessary jank to me, especially all of the customs with windboxes.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Gotta love playing Falco. I don't really like using customs though, not just for Falco but for any character. They just add more unnecessary jank to me, especially all of the customs with windboxes.
Falco's customs are one of the less janky ones. Fast Fire Bird can be perfectly landed, but it's much, much more difficult than managing Palutena's Lightweight or using Marth and Lucina's Crescent Slash. Reflector Void doesn't really do much besides add another way for Falco to kill with an "aerial". Falco just stays as an honest character with or without customs since his customs are more like options rather than upgrades or an insane option to use like DK's Kong Cyclone or Wii Fit Trainer's Jumbo Hoops.

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I wish Falco had his own version of Twisting Fox.

And about 5 days until we see if Falco gets "fixed" or continues to be irrelevant.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Falco's customs are one of less janky ones. Fast Fire Bird can be perfectly landed, but it's much, much more difficult than managing Palutena's Lightweight or using Marth and Lucina's Crescent Slash. Reflector Void doesn't really do much besides add another way for Falco to kill with an "aerial". Falco just stays as an honest character with or without customs since his customs are more like options rather than upgrades or an insane option to use like DK's Kong Cyclone or Wii Fit Trainer's Jumbo Hoops.
Heck yeah, Falco has to be one of the most legit characters in this game. None of his customs are seen as inherently superior options to his default moveset, but rather they're like options as you say. Gives Falco some extra depth in a customs meta where he can pick and choose the length of his recovery, utility of his lasers and reflector to suit the matchup (I still don't like his Phantasm customs.)

Hell, I try to rep default Falco as much as I can just because it still works even in the customs meta. Not many other characters can make that claim, least of all in the low tier.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Man, this is quite the receptive character thread. Never seen so much enthusiasm in my life.

Waiting on Izaw to make an "Art of Falco" video, but it might be after the patch.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Dabuz hasn't used or fought against Falco in either a customs or non-customs setting. Keep that in mind those of you that see this image.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Dabuz hasn't used or fought against Falco in either a customs or non-customs setting. Keep that in mind those of you that see this image.
Really, Dabuz? Really? Then again, we can count how many Falco players are out there with one and a half hands. :p

Edit: If you have time, I suggest reading @kyoskue's "The Difference Between A GOOD Player and A GREAT Player". As there are not a lot of (known) Falco players, we get to see different styles much more instead of cookie cutters who just D-throw to Dash Attack and expect that to work all the time. We've seen GimR use Uairs and perfect pivot Dtilts a lot, Pawclaw and Keitaro use Blaster a lot, Manny Manito uses short hops to feint a lot, Cyro incorporates wall jumps to his edgeguard game, berserker. prefers using D-throw to RAR Bair, Shaya advocates U-throw, the Japanese Falco players use different movement options more than most like pivot walking, perfect pivot to anything, etc., and even lesser known players do things like Bubba if I remember the tag correctly uses RAR Bairs a lot, one player uses Falco Phantasm a lot, another uses Down Smash a lot, some use Jab cancels a lot, and one player uses Nair to approach, cover options, or ledge spike, etc. It's these distinctions where we prefer or incorporate certain attacks, certain strategies, and have our own styles that makes us different and unique. For an example, GimR is aggressive while Manny Manito is more defensive. As for me, I love using Down Smash out of shield, I like firing off Blaster every once and a while, especially to mess with people, and I love Jab canceling to F-throw because it looks brutal even if it might not be a good idea.

So, even though we are few, we are Falco players and that's all that matters since we represent a community that people overlook or don't really know about.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Shofu's Tired of the Disrepect video had a healthy amount of falco Destruction moments with his dair, fairs, and falco flash spikes that any falco main would love. Sadly no one is same from the falcon punch D: (cpt falcon shreked us hard)

Last edited:
Top Bottom