• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco, King of the Birds: Game Play Discussion

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I don't know why people don't like Falco. He's so cool. People just cut him from their rosters for no reason. "yea Falco's cool but I don't want him." wut?

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
*reads your post*

*looks at your avi*

WAT

I wouldn't mind him coming back as long as he's even less of a clone. Otherwise, I WANT him to get cut... ... long story if you ask me.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
If I were Sakurai~

Falco gets a big remake but keeps his most characteristic moves, like Dair for instance.
nB: Falco pulls out the Sniper from Starfox Assault.
It works similar to Link's Bow, however it shoots a blue laserbeam in a straight line, and it has a bit more knockback than Link's arrows, but it doesn't bounce off of surfaces like ROB's laser.
Tap B to fire a weak, fast, thin laser with very low knockback. Hold down B to charge it up and release for a stronger, just as fast, and slitghtly thicker laser with knockback similar to Samus' Smash Missiles.
The range of a tap-shot is about the range of FD, and the range of a fully charged shot goes about 2x FD.
You can angle the beam up or down 10 degrees. Start up is fast but it has a bit of cooldown. A fully charge takes almost 2 seconds.
(It excels at hitting ppl in their landing lag and similar situations.)

I'd like to change his >B to something else as well, but he can keep ^B and vB.

Fox would get his Blaster back, which is rightfully his anyway ;)

Last edited:

Doctor Discord

Smash Rookie
NNID
LucianSummers
3DS FC
0834-1805-0988
I'm pretty sure Falco's coming back. Whether he's changed or not, I'll be all over him; he was my main since Melee.

That being said, if they were to change a few moves of his, I would hope they changed the Blaster. Reflector's change was nice; lead to some good openings for hits and still manages to do what it says on the tin; Reflect.

All I hope is that we don't get another Landmaster from him. An Arwing or the Sky Claw would be great. Or maybe Katt can come in, SF64 style.

Thor

Smash Champion
I honestly liked both of Falco's incarnations [very few I've met feel the same way] - in Melee he's more and more my main (Link is unfortunately terrible) and in Brawl I'll bring him out as a backup sometimes and might eventually make him a second main (currently mines sees play mainly versus Olimar). I'd honestly like to see a better Fire Bird and dair getting a strong meteor on initial frames and weaker meteor on late frames (or spike and then meteor if spikes are reimplemented). A more useful fair would be nice but below those buffs Otherwise... I don't really care. His reflector in each game is pretty solid for different uses (it's a decent way to easily kick MK out of nado at higher percents, and can also be used to reflect something and hit someone at the same time - it's also good just for infuriating someone if they can't get in - Melee shine is a shine so the use is pretty obvious, but a Melee-style dtilt means he'd be okay without one if he got dair buffs for those combos), his smash attacks in Brawl were okay but could use some improvement (I'd like to see a better fsmash than Brawl, Melee's was in some ways almost too good but I really like it), and he was fun to play in both games if you realized you were playing the same character in name only (Melee pressure god, Brawl camping god and strong CQC and grab game, but often more in a "Get out" sense than a "rack 70% in one go" sense).

I'm just tired of Fox's recovery being better than Falco's. C'mon Nintendo, stop making him a bird who can't fly.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's odd, people hate on clones but as soon as Falco dares to be different they want to change him back. I think if he had differnt recovery moves and a more arial focus it would help him

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
It's odd, people hate on clones but as soon as Falco dares to be different they want to change him back. I think if he had differnt recovery moves and a more arial focus it would help him
I think people were mostly angry about the Falco shine changes. I know I was briefly when I was looking forwards to shine pillar, but couldn't. Still, he was a very cool character.
And yeah, he definitely needs a better Up B option.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah the irony of a bird with terrible recovery is a bit too much. I don't see the whole clone deal since Brawl, the two characters are way different , but yeah Falco could do with some ahakeups. Also he'd better not get cut.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I like both Falco's, but I admit, I'm much more partial to his Melee incarnation.

That's partly due to Melee Falco being vastly more versatile in his playstyle. Brawl Falco is a bit too poke/zone heavy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, mind, but it's jarring coming from Melee where Falco was a defensive, pressure monster that CAN zone. He feels a bit monotonous in Brawl in comparison.

Either way he's been my favorite spacie for a while so I'd be sad if he's not back. I don't mind if they declone him further, I just hope his playstyle is a bit of a mix of both Melee and Brawl. (Basically Brawl Falco with more pressure options, but not as op as it sounds lol.)

Last edited:

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
I always liked Brawl's Falco quite a bit, although that's probably because I hadn't learned to waveshine until recently. Hoping that customizable movesets will give us both options.

Iron Angel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Iron_Angel_X
So, do we suspect Falco will make it into the final cut in this game?

Iron Angel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Iron_Angel_X
Here's hoping. Fox doesn't look so good in this, and I need my favorite spacie. :[
Yeah, would be nice if they'd incorporate DLC just in case they don't have Falco. But I don't think Sakurai is a fan of that if I remember right. Fingers still crossed.

KingKRool

Smash Cadet
As more and more characters are added, it seems more and more like Falco isn't in the game. D: Noooo.
I really doubt he'll be cut. He's a bigger star fox character than wolf and I don't see them axing both. Not to mention he has been in since melee.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
If he has an Arwing as his Final Smash he would be a clone of Zero Suit Samus instead of Fox :awesome:
But seriously, I noticed something, Fox has a different voice and it sounds...bad/weird (at least for me). I hope Falco keeps his Brawl voice, it was awesome.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I wonder what Falco's finisher move would be, his neutral a was silly to look at as it went on indefinitely.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
I really do hope that they use Brawl Falco over Melee Falco as the basis for Smash 4.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
If Falco makes it into the game, I am worried about his tech. Fox now has significant recovery after a short hop laser, so I'm guessing Falco will too. How bad do you think this will affect his best tech, the short hop lasers?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Falco is 100% in the game. If he weren't, Fox would, without doubt, have gotten his old blaster back by now.
Might sound dumb, but it is that simple, really.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If Falco makes it into the game, I am worried about his tech. Fox now has significant recovery after a short hop laser, so I'm guessing Falco will too. How bad do you think this will affect his best tech, the short hop lasers?
Part of me thinks that Fox will have a focused rush down game while the camping stays with Falco, hence the blaster nerf for Fox.

Fox had a pretty strong camping game in Brawl, even if it wasn't as good as Falco's.

fill

20EggsEggs
Falco won't get cut. I just hope he gets his old shine back.
with the custom moves being added i think we will have normal shine, falco brawl shine and _____ shine. but to keep fox/falco different thats a lot of special moves for spacies.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I think Falco is too popular to go anywhere; I do however think he'll be a secret character and possibly not revealed until after launch.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Only thing they really need to change on him is his ult it needs to be Arwing instead of landmaster

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I don't even play with smash balls so I never really cared about him getting a landmaster.

And whenever I do, I always just use Wario anyway because Wario Man is so fun.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I get the feeling Falco will use an Arwing this time around as his FS
Man I hope so. After seeing Toon Link keep his same Final Smash, I'm going seriously pray that the same did not happen to Falco. The Arwing makes too much sense for them not to implement it this time.

It doesn't even have to be an interactive FS. Just have Falco hop in an Arwing, fly above the stage, and rain down shots onto the stage. He could even end off the FS with a couple Smart Bombs that function just like the actual item.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Falco is 100% in the game. If he weren't, Fox would, without doubt, have gotten his old blaster back by now.
Might sound dumb, but it is that simple, really.
Move customization could easily fix that. In fact, it probably WILL be a custom option for Fox, since had a Falco-esque blaster in 64, and there isn't much more he could do with B besides make it semi-auto and stronger.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Move customization could easily fix that. In fact, it probably WILL be a custom option for Fox, since had a Falco-esque blaster in 64, and there isn't much more he could do with B besides make it semi-auto and stronger.
I keep forgetting about custom moves ._.

Fox's Laser: also, a weaker version with a fixated insta-laser.

Top Bottom