• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spatman

Smash Ace
However, all that said, I'd rather not see either as a Final Smash. I'm a huge fan of Mega Evolutions as a mechanic in Pokémon games, but not so much as Final Smashes. There are far more original, creative, even cooler ideas, like Signature Moves. That's why I fully support Psystrike as a Final Smash. I think it has more potential that his Mega Evolutions, and I think it will ultimately wind up better than anything we could do with his Mega Evolutions.
Psystrike would be conceptual similar to final smashes such as Link's, Marth's etc..?
MMewtwoY instead would be a sort of SuperSonic. I find it very attractive, but yes, for a final smash there are better and more originals ideas.
For example, i'd like if Mewtwo's Final Smash used his psychokinetic powers: he could throw away all characters and object who are in a very long range, with so much power to K.O. them at very low percentage. However, percentages of survivors character shouldn't rise much

the animation of this FS could be Mewtwo that brings his arms folded toward his chest, and then... i don't know how to say it (i apologize for my inadequate knowledge of english language) ... "make an Y with his arms" and disburdens the psychokinetic power (i hope it is understandable...)

i apologize also for the double post... i was confused by a wrong interpretation of a notification

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Psystrike would be conceptual similar to final smashes such as Link's, Marth's etc..?
MMewtwoY instead would be a sort of SuperSonic. I find it very attractive, but yes, for a final smash there are better and more originals ideas.
For example, i'd like if Mewtwo's Final Smash used his psychokinetic powers: he could throw away all characters and object who are in a very long range, with so much power to K.O. them at very low percentage. However, percentages of survivors character shouldn't rise much

the animation of this FS could be Mewtwo that brings his arms folded toward his chest, and then... i don't know how to say it (i apologize for my inadequate knowledge of english language) ... "make an Y with his arms" and disburdens the psychokinetic power (i hope it is understandable...)
I like this idea. It could be very interesting, because we don't have a Final Smash that's a Command Grab, I don't think. In any case, I think that move could be Psystrike. He's clearly using his psychic powers to his full extent, so why not? Moves don't have to match their in-game animations, as Volt Tackle shows us.

Also, your English is fine, man. It's perfectly understandable:).

pokeman2223

Smash Cadet
maybe he will fly off the stage the come back as mega mewtwo x and do a ton of attacks then changes to mega mewtwo y then does even more attacks then he transforms back to mewtwo and does a EPIC BLOW in total he should do about 120 damage maybe a bit less

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I like this idea. It could be very interesting, because we don't have a Final Smash that's a Command Grab, I don't think. In any case, I think that move could be Psystrike. He's clearly using his psychic powers to his full extent, so why not? Moves don't have to match their in-game animations, as Volt Tackle shows us.

Also, your English is fine, man. It's perfectly understandable:).
ok, so let's call it Psystrike!

aaaand, thanks for the polite lie ^^

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Found these; thought you guys might like'em, even if the DBZ references are getting kinda old.
That said, I would like to see a Final Smash in the same vein as Frieza's massive fingertip energy blast:

Attachments

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Psystrike WILL be involved somehow... I mean, it's his signature move. Hopefully it will be his Final Smash, because I don't like any of his Mega Evolutions and I hope they don't show up in any way aside from the trophy they already have. Plus, Charizard and Lucario already mega evolve.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Psystrike WILL be involved somehow... I mean, it's his signature move. Hopefully it will be his Final Smash, because I don't like any of his Mega Evolutions and I hope they don't show up in any way aside from the trophy they already have. Plus, Charizard and Lucario already mega evolve.
That's exactly what worries me. The fact that Lucario and Charizard both Mega Evolve makes me think that Sakurai is going to make Mewtwo's Final Smash Mega Mewtwo X or Mega Mewtwo Y. I'd much rather have Psystrike as his Final Smash. It seems to fit Mewtwo better and I think it would be a better idea in general. Mega Evolutions just seem a little to omnipresent.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm thinking we'll be seeing Mega Mewtwo X/Y, just because it's the it-thing Pokémon is doing now. However, I do think Psystrike (or something else) could be tied in with the Mega Mewtwo Final Smash. Seeing as Charizard can only move like Yoshi when he uses his Final Smash (unlike Lucario who moves freely), the mega evolutions don't necessarily have to act the same, so I think Mewtwo could Mega Evolve and then perform Psystrike or something.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'm thinking we'll be seeing Mega Mewtwo X/Y, just because it's the it-thing Pokémon is doing now. However, I do think Psystrike (or something else) could be tied in with the Mega Mewtwo Final Smash. Seeing as Charizard can only move like Yoshi when he uses his Final Smash (unlike Lucario who moves freely), I think Mewtwo could Mega Evolve and then perform Psystrike or something.
I suppose I could settle for that. It's certainly better than just Mega Evolving and powering-up. But, honestly, I'd rather not have either Mega Mewtwo involved at all. If he's going to use Psystrike, just have him use. The only point of having him Mega Evolve prior to using Psystrike is promotion, and I would rather just not have it happen. However, I like your idea better than just Mega Evolving, and could be pleased enough with that, I guess.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
It can happen, but we DO need representation for Pokemon Y, and it seems to appear much more than the X one anyways (like Charizard X). For example: Charizard X was in Origins, and Mewtwo Y was in the most recent (no, not Diancie's) movie.
Not to mention Charizard X is also in the XY mega evolution special as the main characters main Pokemon. Y is the first mega known and mewtwos most well known mega to boot. I doubt we're getting mewtwo x

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Charizard X learns Fire Blast for his Final Smash. It's not impossible for Mega Mewtwo Y to learn Psystrike in the same manner. If Mewtwo Mega Evolves for his FS, I'd prefer X. However, I'm just happy he's back and will take anything.

Shog

Smash Ace
I don't understand how people like Mewtwo Y. Mewtwo is pretty menacing and has a pretty badass theme going on. I think Mewtwo X compliments that more. Maybe it is me though.

And maybe this will make some of you happy: Making a non Megavolution an attack is easier and less time consuming to do. I hope that is a good info for the Non-Mega Fans!

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
Perhaps mewtwo mega evolves and flies around doing psystrikes (akin to a psychic energy shockwave), even though its similar to charizard X. Or maybe he can get entirely new specials, psystrike being one. Idk just ideas

I don't understand how people like Mewtwo Y. Mewtwo is pretty menacing and has a pretty badass theme going on. I think Mewtwo X compliments that more. Maybe it is me though.

And maybe this will make some of you happy: Making a non Megavolution an attack is easier and less time consuming to do. I hope that is a good info for the Non-Mega Fans!
Actually I like how its power increases exponentially yet he gets smaller. More power doesn't always have to mean being bigger and scarier

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Insane Special Attack that maims almost everything.
I am obviously talking about its design, not his stats, otherwise I can simply ask this question: If the stats were changed vice-versa, would people like Mewtwo Y at all?

@
Actually I like how its power increases exponentially yet he gets smaller. More power doesn't always have to mean being bigger and scarier
--
But it was Mewtwo's theme, hence why the original cute Mew got turned into this. Evolving it into something "cute" again doesn't work for me.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
interesting speculation, but...
the reason why the NES zapper is in the pic is to show who is behind DHD's moves. Actually, the dog doesn't do anything in his shooting attacks (up smash, down smash, side smash, some specials) : there is another, fictional character (representing the human player who is using the zapper) who shoots, but imho there isn't need to show this "person"

I don't know why this idea of two mega mewtwos on the screen at the same time developed...
a pokemon cannot split in two! It has not completely sense! :/

(this isn't a critique against you, but I really don't understand this idea and how is possible that so many people repeat it after it was invented in a leak already disproven)
There are two Mewtwos in the anime canon and possibly the game's canon as there's one in Kanto and one that's inexplicably in Kalos.

I only like X's design but it would make sense for Mewtwo to mega evolve for a final smash. That or pull out a life orb and laugh like a circus clown while everyone is special swept.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I am obviously talking about its design, not his stats, otherwise I can simply ask this question: If the stats were changed vice-versa, would people like Mewtwo Y at all?

@
--
But it was Mewtwo's theme, hence why the original cute Mew got turned into this. Evolving it into something "cute" again doesn't work for me.
I don't find MMY as cute as Mew. Btw, I like him for his design. His stats changes are coherent with his new design, so it's natural I like also them

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Fair enough.

Everything has it's fans, so stat changing wouldn't really do anything imo.

The only reason MMY is disliked by some is because of Femtwo.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
That's exactly what worries me. The fact that Lucario and Charizard both Mega Evolve makes me think that Sakurai is going to make Mewtwo's Final Smash Mega Mewtwo X or Mega Mewtwo Y. I'd much rather have Psystrike as his Final Smash. It seems to fit Mewtwo better and I think it would be a better idea in general. Mega Evolutions just seem a little to omnipresent.
Transformation Final Smashes in general are too omnipresent: Giga Mac, Giga Bowser, Wario-man, Mega Lucario, etc.
I should specify, however: I don't mind Final Smashes like Mega Charizard, Yoshi's Super Dragon, Super Sonic, the Landmasters, etc., because they're not just ultra-versions of the same moveset; they're actually new attacks, movement styles, and the like.
I'd still like to see Psystrike instead of a mega-evo, though.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
By the way, Harmony of Heroes Pokemon Album Art
It's freaking beautifully enourmous

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
There are two Mewtwos in the anime canon and possibly the game's canon as there's one in Kanto and one that's inexplicably in Kalos.

I only like X's design but it would make sense for Mewtwo to mega evolve for a final smash. That or pull out a life orb and laugh like a circus clown while everyone is special swept.
yes, but when you use Mewtwo in smash bros, you are using only that mewtwo. There isn't any sense that i could see to justify his splitting in two, or the arrival of another Mewtwo. It could be as Mario final smash was...Fire Mario & Paper Mario that shoot two beams

Last edited:

Igzex

yes, but when you use Mewtwo in smash bros, you are using only that mewtwo. There isn't any sense that i could see to justify his splitting or the arrival of another Mewtwo. It could be as Mario final smash is...Fire Mario & Paper Mario that shoot two beams
But Mega Man can have nearly Mega Man appear in his final smash. Granted it's ruined because US Mega Man 1 box art Mega Man doesn't show up but still...

Spirst

yes, but when you use Mewtwo in smash bros, you are using only that mewtwo. There isn't any sense that i could see to justify his splitting in two, or the arrival of another Mewtwo. It could be as Mario final smash was...Fire Mario & Paper Mario that shoot two beams
Well, no. Paper Mario is like a seperate universe and Fire Mario is Mario with a power-up. Both Mewtwos exist in the same universe even if we are using one. It wouldn't be out of line for the other to appear.

Spatman

Smash Ace
But Mega Man can have nearly Mega Man appear in his final smash. Granted it's ruined because US Mega Man 1 box art Mega Man doesn't show up but still...
mmm... yes, it's true. I think it's a particular case and a little different, but ok...

btw I still think we won't see 2 megamewtwo on the stage at the same time, and that it's much simplier a single transformation in one of the two. Otherwise, why is charizard's FS only his megaevolution X and not both? there are so many charizard's exemplares in the pokeworld!

Well, no. Paper Mario is like a seperate universe and Fire Mario is Mario with a power-up. Both Mewtwos exist in the same universe even if we are using one. It wouldn't be out of line for the other to appear.
mmm... then Mario & Luigi that shoot 2 enormous fire balls? (and if Luigi is already on the stage, Alfonzo takes his place, of course)

Last edited:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I actually like both Mewtwo megas, so, to quote Royal Sorcerer Navlaan from Dark Souls II, "I couldn't give a fig either way." Though I think Y has the better chance since it was the first ever Mega revealed.

So I just got back from watching a VGBC Smash 4 stream, and wow the chat sure is cancerous. Everyone was just asking them to stream Melee instead and someone even said "Smash 4 is bad for competitions, I can't wait to laugh at all of you when the same thing happens to this game that happened to Brawl, and Melee is still streamed/watched"

I'm gonna go ahead and say you're delusional if you think Smash 4 is just like Brawl. Yeah, of course it shares similarities; all Smash games do to an extent, but the slow gameplay and floatiness is pretty much gone and the game isn't dominated by two characters. Once we get our hands on the Wii U version and actually play on a GC controller and big screen, then the deluded fanboys might have room to talk. When we all play on Wii U and start discovering many ATs and character-specific techs, I'll be the one laughing at all the people who thought Smash 4 was going to suffer Brawl's fate. Melee 2.0 is never going to happen. I say this as a Melee player and a huge PM supporter. A game with maybe 8 viable characters gets pretty boring to watch after a while. I look forward to us dominating with our Mewtwos next year while the Smash 4 haters miss out on all the fun and evolving metagame! :grin:

Igzex

Smash 64 should have the biggest competitive fan base really. That game is the closest to a balanced Smash game because it has that Bloody Roar element where everyone is screwed up in their own special way.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So I just got back from watching a VGBC Smash 4 stream, and wow the chat sure is cancerous. Everyone was just asking them to stream Melee instead and someone even said "Smash 4 is bad for competitions, I can't wait to laugh at all of you when the same thing happens to this game that happened to Brawl, and Melee is still streamed/watched"

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
come on guys

Lets do this thang
Actually I'd like to see X as a female and Y as male in this pic..

But I personally prefer Y over X. Mainly because I wanted a Mewtwo mega evo with an elongated head like one of Friezas forms which should have been MMX.. Y reminds me of Kid Majin Buu which is pretty awesome.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Balance patches could ensure a competitive future for this game.
I suppose they could, if absolutely necessary. I just hope they make the game balanced enough from the start, so as to require a minimal amount of patches. But, that's definitely plus, and the option is always there, so it should ensure a fix for most major balance issues. I don't know how they'll handle small balance issues, though. I'd like then to fix it up, if necessary, but I don't think they'll worry about minor ones. And I can't blame them: Neither would I:laugh:.
Actually I'd like to see X as a female and Y as male in this pic..

But I personally prefer Y over X. Mainly because I wanted a Mewtwo mega evo with an elongated head like one of Friezas forms which should have been MMX.. Y reminds me of Kid Majin Buu which is pretty awesome.
Oooh... I don't think I've seen art with X as a girl and Y as a boy. It'd be interesting, even though I do think Y appears slightly more feminine and X slightly more masculine. May I ask why you think Y is more masculine and X more feminine? I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just curious as to your thoughts.

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Figured I'd just throw my hat back into the ring again. I see many people hating the idea of a Mega Evolution for a final smash, but it's probably the most likely thing to happen, as it's the "big new thing" for Pokemon. Since people were talking about the whole Male/Female thing, making me think of what voice actor, if any, we'll end up getting, and how they'll be incorporated. So, instead of making a huge paragraph for each, I just decided to make a short list on my thoughts on this particular subject.

For final smash, I could see:
1. Mega Mewtwo Y as a mix of Super Sonic/Dragon Yoshi.
2. Mega Mewtwo X in a fashion similar to Lucario (perhaps gain strength over time, rather than by percentage).
3. Mewtwo using a form of Psystrike.
4. Both Mega Mewtwo X and Y appear to incorporate both (perhaps Mewtwo transforms into 1 and the other flies in).
5. Something akin to Lucario's in Brawl (Not likely, but if they go to reuse old materials, then it's slightly possible).

For voices, I could see:
1. The Origins version of Mewtwo (aka no voice).
2. Melee Mewtwo, but redone/revamped.
3. 2nd movie Mewtwo.
4. New Mewtwo entirely.
5. Femtwo.

How I see them handling the voices (if any) in game:
1. Similar looking color swaps, but 1 group has a male voice, the other has a female voice.
2. Ability to switch the voices (like a switch on his portrait).
3. Only having 1 voice.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The former example is pretty much just as cliched as the latter one by this point, although I prefer the latter in Mewtwo's case which resulted in MMX. :)

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
and the game isn't dominated by two characters.
Given how Rosaluma is technically two characters, it is, or at least will be. Mark my words.

I'd rather not have another Mega Evolution. Both of them may be crazy powerful, but I think it would be kind of redundant with Zard and Lucario. Pokemon are capable of more than becoming SUPER SPIKY ULTRA FORMS YEAH. As for Mewtwo's megas, I find both of their designs somewhat silly, with X being slightly more tolerable.

(Also, am I the only one who reads MMX as Mega Man X?)

D

Deleted member

Because, by Nintendo's standards and rules, basically own Pokemon and everything related to it in some way. sure Sakurai Senpai can take creative things with the fighters he can't not refuse something the game's developers tell him to do with those characters.
I found a source about this but I'm too lazy to find it again--basically, as far as what Sakurai does with Pokemon in Smash is entirely up to him. It's his game, he has the final say. The Pokemon people don't tell him to do anything at all.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Given how Rosaluma is technically two characters, it is, or at least will be. Mark my words.

I'd rather not have another Mega Evolution. Both of them may be crazy powerful, but I think it would be kind of redundant with Zard and Lucario. Pokemon are capable of more than becoming SUPER SPIKY ULTRA FORMS YEAH. As for Mewtwo's megas, I find both of their designs somewhat silly, with X being slightly more tolerable.

(Also, am I the only one who reads MMX as Mega Man X?)
I don't get why people think she's that broken, but then again like I said, more character specific ATs may be discovered. Either that or Robin is a good Rosalina MU for some reason (that's who I've been using)

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I found a source about this but I'm too lazy to find it again--basically, as far as what Sakurai does with Pokemon in Smash is entirely up to him. It's his game, he has the final say. The Pokemon people don't tell him to do anything at all.
Well, that's slightly reassuring. Since Sakurai isn't directly related to the creation of Pokémon games, he shouldn't be as interested in advertising Pokémon via Mega Evolutions. Then again, there's the fact he already made two Pokémon's Final Smashes Mega Evolutions, so maybe it's not such a good thing...
Ah, well, we'll see come Spring, and there's no point in stressing over something you can't change, so I think I'll patiently wait...
I still really, really want to know...
I don't get why people think she's that broken, but then again like I said, more character specific ATs may be discovered. Either that or Robin is a good Rosalina MU for some reason (that's who I've been using)
I apologize for my ignorance, but what does AT mean, other than "Assist Trophy," which you don't appear to be referring to?

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't get why people think she's that broken
Can attack in hitstun, can attack while shield is broken, no penalty for Luma dying, Luma is an incredible meatshield, Luma respawns very quickly, even without Luma, can nullify every form of projectile, insane priority, good range, disjointed hitboxes, good knockback, very good roll and dodge. It's ridiculous. Figures a character I dislike is the absolute best.

Not sure if that's encouraging or not. I remember hearing that Jigglypuff is his favorite Pokemon (Which makes sense, given how similar it is to Kirby), so that may be the reason for it's perfect attendance record? Wish it had been Meowth, like some rumors say.

As for Mewtwo, I still think it's inevitable we'll see Mega Mewtwo as a FS in some way. MMY was the first Mega ever shown, and was heavily advertised. With how much Gamefreak markets Charizard X and Lucario, it'd be very odd if they left another heavily marketed form out of what is essentially a large advertising vehicle.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Well, that's slightly reassuring. Since Sakurai isn't directly related to the creation of Pokémon games, he shouldn't be as interested in advertising Pokémon via Mega Evolutions. Then again, there's the fact he already made two Pokémon's Final Smashes Mega Evolutions, so maybe it's not such a good thing...
Ah, well, we'll see come Spring, and there's no point in stressing over something you can't change, so I think I'll patiently wait...

I apologize for my ignorance, but what does AT mean, other than "Assist Trophy," which you don't appear to be referring to?
Advanced Technique. "Wooping" with Mewtwo or Desyncing with Ice Climbers for example.

Spatman

Smash Ace

from Sakurai's point of view, i think, megaevolutions fit perfectly as final smashes, so he has no interest to find another fs for these pokemon. Moreover, probably he thinks that people who will buy the game expect and want to find megaevolutions as pokemons' final smashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom