• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Then again yes. The leaker could've taken the pics really long ago. Or has been given old pics. Notice the undone CSS

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Theres a reason why im bery confident on mewtwo now

Todays potd sakurai attempted to say in a indirect way that the leak is true about not the full roster

And here it is (for reminder.)

As usual the characters are completely un organized like a roster with not everyone unlocked

Heres the kicker

The pokemon row has 2 stand alone reps

So put mewtwo in then move ROB or DHD down next to ness or shulk then mewtwo fits in the roster.

haydyn

Smash Cadet
Theres a reason why im bery confident on mewtwo now

Todays potd sakurai attempted to say in a indirect way that the leak is true about not the full roster

And here it is (for reminder.)

As usual the characters are completely un organized like a roster with not everyone unlocked

Heres the kicker

The pokemon row has 2 stand alone reps

So put mewtwo in then move ROB or DHD down next to ness or shulk then mewtwo fits in the roster.

yeah i think he was trying to say that there are more characters to come as he literally said "the padlock shows that it is incomplete" he must have been talking about the leaked roster (maybe im just too hyped :p)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
^ There's Mewtwo detractors that actually think that should happen. The less we talk of the idea the better.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
haha it probably won't ever happen, not only do i dislike the idea, Mewtwo imo should not even be in the game if not playable.

I'm a bit late with this btw but with everyone talking about his moveset, if he's in i think he'll have the same moveset as in Melee personally.... Probably with some few tweaks though. I mean even Ganondorf is still a semi clone so i can't see them completely change up Mewtwo.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I can see them adding Psystrike in some way, considering it's Mewtwo's signature move.

Maybe if his Mega evo doesn't have a moveset, Mewtwo could Mega Evolve and then use Psystrike as one of those "single attack" final smashes.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
On Friday before the game is out in Japan the pic of the day should be "I have a old veteran from melee to show you...Mewtwo!Yes he is back and was planned for brawl and the second pic is.
look at his new desingned shadow ball oh and psystrike is his final smash.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
The real question is why they would ever not put Mewtwo in the game. He is the most wanted character in both Japan and the U.S. Mewtwo is the most popular pokémon ever behind Pikachu and arguebly Charizard. He was the favorite of people who played Pokémon long ago, yet he still remains popular with new pokémon players as well. He also has a very unique moveset. I just cannot think of a reason to not include Mewtwo. It would be a total mistake to cut him.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
The real question is why they would ever not put Mewtwo in the game. He is the most wanted character in both Japan and the U.S. Mewtwo is the most popular pokémon ever behind Pikachu and arguebly Charizard. He was the favorite of people who played Pokémon long ago, yet he still remains popular with new pokémon players as well. He also has a very unique moveset. I just cannot think of a reason to not include Mewtwo. It would be a total mistake to cut him.
mewtwo also has a VERY wide move pool concerning tms and hms. mewtwos moveset for smash 4 does NOT have to be all psychic based. it could be electric-based, it could be ice-based, it could be fire-based. mewtwo is a very versatile fighter (not as much as mew or arceus, but still, enough to hold its own) it can learn damaging moves from all types except dragon and fairy types.
in fact, most people who play pokemon should know that a pokemons moves should branch into other types to cover its weaknesses and do more damage against a particulary nasty oponent.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It has been a while since I last came here, but I lately have had some new thoughts about Mewtwo's specials.

Perhaps Psystrike could be Mewtwo's down special, and it can control where to release the attack, while also building up its power. And unlike most indirect attacks, Psystrike deals direct attack damage, which references how the attack targets the opposing Pokemon's defense, instead of its special defense.

As for the Final Smash, Mewtwo would mega evolve into Mega Mewtwo Y, having its power and speed boosted, but as a drawback, its weight takes a tumble.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Well. Surprisingly, this thread didn't explode as much as I thought it would. Whoever thought that the leak contained the final roster is certainly excited right now, I imagine. The only question that remains is "How many characters are left?"

I can't wait to see an HD Mewtwo. Sakurai seems to be much more worried about character balance this time around. I wonder how he's going to buff our Genetic Pokemon. Any thoughts?

It has been a while since I last came here, but I lately have had some new thoughts about Mewtwo's specials.

Perhaps Psystrike could be Mewtwo's down special, and it can control where to release the attack, while also building up its power. And unlike most indirect attacks, Psystrike deals direct attack damage, which references how the attack targets the opposing Pokemon's defense, instead of its special defense.

As for the Final Smash, Mewtwo would mega evolve into Mega Mewtwo Y, having its power and speed boosted, but as a drawback, its weight takes a tumble.
I also believe Psystrike will be his down special, but what do you mean by "direct attack damage?" I mean. This is Smash. There's really only one type of damage. (and defense)

I can't see Mewtwo's Final Smash being anything other than his Mega Y form. This is a neat way to balance it, though.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
On Friday before the game is out in Japan the pic of the day should be "I have a old veteran from melee to show you...Mewtwo!Yes he is back and was planned for brawl and the second pic is.
look at his new desingned shadow ball oh and psystrike is his final smash.

That would be a good thing to do to generate hype.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I also believe Psystrike will be his down special, but what do you mean by "direct attack damage?" I mean. This is Smash. There's really only one type of damage. (and defense)
Brawl did categorize attack types for the Subspace Emissary, and they did include direct attacks and indirect attacks. Direct attacks simply involve close combat.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

This would make a lot of sense, considering the fact Mega Mewtwo Y has a tremendous defence nerf when it Mega Evolves.
But of course, it's power and speed are off the charts, one uping Deoxys-A is quite the tremendous feat.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
damn i remember arguing with you beause i said i didnt think mewtwo would make it in. you basically told me i was an idiot and he was gonna be in lol. sad to see even the most optimistic mewtwo fans do a 180
And I remember making a point against desperate Mewtwo fans just wanting Melee Mewtwo back in the game if they could without wanting any change at all, so long as he'd return back, & then you liking it. Time sure does fly.:shades:
Arguably? Bro Mewtwo was planned to be a fighter in Smash 64's Original 12 roster, while Charizard was just a pokeball summon. Same exact situation transpired but Mewtwo was playable on a Smash roster this time. Mewtwo has that sure chance to return to the roster with Charizard around. (I'm surprised not a lot of people made this point, it's Smash canon afterall).
Old Reasonable Enemy: Time Restraints.

I can very well see that being a basic knowledgeable pokemon fan, the question: Will the dev team notice this & implement it as a direct kind of attack instead of indirect?
I'd hope with how they're handling pokemon moves specifically Substitute & Flare Blitz, they'd do that with Psystrike.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Old Reasonable Enemy: Time Restraints.
If time restraints become an issue for this game, I will gladly buy any and all DLC to get Mewtwo. I don't care if he shows up 5 months late to the party (like someone else I know), he'll be welcome any time. But that's worst case scenario. Mewtwo stands a great chance in the initial roster already.

If any Pokemon are to be DLC, it better be Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pichu, not Mewtwo. Mewtwo deserves to be in the default roster.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I was looking at the potd(sept 2) and it shows the defeated enemies and the upcoming enemies. I know that pokemon red and blue came out in 1996, i think that was mewtwo's first appearance. Since I don't feel like doing the rest of the research, are all the characters the screenshot lists as "defeated" before 1996, since the post said that the enemies show up in order of first appearance year. And a second thought , is mewtwo after the upcoming enemies on the image, there is more hope if he is.

Polo

Smash Cadet
By the way - for anyone who hasn't heard of it - there is a very intriguing theory regarding the ESRB roster.
The theory is that, if there are any unknown characters left that weren't on the leaked roster (which is implied by today's PotD), they must be from either Pokemon, Star Fox, or they must be a single rep for a new series.

This post explains it quite well, and also explains the ordering of the leaked roster (I know I know, GameFAQs, but bear with me :p).
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69952491

Here is another (shorter) post by a different guy who independently came up with a similar theory (he didn't include the single-rep part, however. The previous link is better IMO).
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69950050

Those posts could take a while to read, so to quickly sum them up, they suggest that the roster ordering is done based on the year in which each franchise was created, with single rep franchises filling in the gaps, and the clones and third-parties shoved in at the end. (http://i.imgur.com/82Sqi3p.png). The interesting thing is that the roster was ordered in a similar way in the official Smash 3DS demos (http://i.imgur.com/E0ZkmWi.png).

With the ESRB leak, it seems as though - based on the way things are ordered - the only characters that could be added without disrupting the ordering of the roster would be characters from either Pokemon, Star Fox or a single-rep series (it's explained how they came to these conclusions in their posts).

The first characters that come to mind (assuming this theory holds any weight) are Wolf returning for Star Fox, perhaps a returning Ice Climbers for a single rep series (and/or Chorus Kids, if Gematsu's source was credible in any way), and for Pokemon, of course, our good friend Mewtwo.

This is just a theory, of course, and the roster could possibly move around entirely when all the characters are unlocked... but it's good to see a theory that could potentially help Mewtwo chances somewhat, for once.

EDIT: Oh, and the first guy also suggests that it's possible for another clone or third party to fit, but it depends on whether or not Mii Fighters will get a slot on the CSS and/or if Shulk's icon could move up a row or not.

Last edited:

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
Guys, there's a Bayonetta Direct on Thursday.

(Look on Nintendo's site, I can't post links yet)

If I remember correctly, some dude on here (don't remember his name, had some sort of MLP avatar) predicted that Mewtwo would be revealed on Wednesday. This Direct is on Thursday. Is it possible Bayonetta could be in Sm4sh and Mewtwo will be shown-off in her trailer, if there is one? I mean, this Direct is happening literally one day after the predicted day. It's kinda strange...

Oh, and by the way, just to put this out there, I totally believe the cloud theories about the Greninja trailer. That one cloud looks a LOT like Mewtwo, especially with the change in lighting in that one area.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
By the way - for anyone who hasn't heard of it - there is a very intriguing theory regarding the ESRB roster.
The theory is that, if there are any unknown characters left that weren't on the leaked roster (which is implied by today's PotD), they must be from either Pokemon, Star Fox, or they must be a single rep for a new series.

This post explains it quite well, and also explains the ordering of the leaked roster (I know I know, GameFAQs, but bear with me :p).
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69952491

Here is another (shorter) post by a different guy who independently came up with a similar theory (he didn't include the single-rep part, however. The previous link is better IMO).
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69950050

Those posts could take a while to read, so to quickly sum them up, they suggest that the roster ordering is done based on the year in which each franchise was created, with single rep franchises filling in the gaps, and the clones and third-parties shoved in at the end. (http://i.imgur.com/82Sqi3p.png). The interesting thing is that the roster was ordered in a similar way in the official Smash 3DS demos (http://i.imgur.com/E0ZkmWi.png).

With the ESRB leak, it seems as though - based on the way things are ordered - the only characters that could be added without disrupting the ordering of the roster would be characters from either Pokemon, Star Fox or a single-rep series (it's explained how they came to these conclusions in their posts).

The first characters that come to mind (assuming this theory holds any weight) are Wolf returning for Star Fox, perhaps a returning Ice Climbers for a single rep series (and/or Chorus Men, if Gematsu's source was credible in any way), and for Pokemon, of course, our good friend Mewtwo.

This is just a theory, of course, and the roster could possibly move around entirely when all the characters are unlocked... but it's good to see a theory that could potentially help Mewtwo chances somewhat, for once.
That's an interesting theory. Didn't read the actual theory on GamFAQs because you said it was long but I get the gist. I find it even more interesting because the All-Star Mode screenshot shows the characters in a timeline type set up.

Guys, there's a Bayonetta Direct on Thursday.

(Look on Nintendo's site, I can't post links yet)

If I remember correctly, some dude on here (don't remember his name, had some sort of MLP avatar) predicted that Mewtwo would be revealed on Wednesday. This Direct is on Thursday. Is it possible Bayonetta could be in Sm4sh and Mewtwo will be shown-off in her trailer, if there is one? I mean, this Direct is happening literally one day after the predicted day. It's kinda strange...

Oh, and by the way, just to put this out there, I totally believe the cloud theories about the Greninja trailer. That one cloud looks a LOT like Mewtwo, especially with the change in lighting in that one area.
Agh, just no. No offense. Just..

NO

Bayonetta is highly unlikely to be in Smash, as awesome as that would be because Bayonetta is one of my favorite games of all time. There's no reason why Mewtwo would be there. Also, cloud theories are moot. Again, no offense but just.. no.

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
That's an interesting theory. Didn't read the actual theory on GamFAQs because you said it was long but I get the gist. I find it even more interesting because the All-Star Mode screenshot shows the characters in a timeline type set up.

Agh, just no. No offense. Just..

NO

Bayonetta is highly unlikely to be in Smash, as awesome as that would be because Bayonetta is one of my favorite games of all time. There's no reason why Mewtwo would be there. Also, cloud theories are moot. Again, no offense but just.. no.
And then my dreams of brining hope and joy to this forum were crushed by the mighty fist of the internet...

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
There's no reason why Mewtwo would be there.
Sorry but unless you can provide a reason why Captain Falcon was in the same trailer as Lucina and Robin, just don't use that argument. If Captain Falcon can be revealed in Lucina and Robins Trailer, Mewtwo could be revealed in any Newcomers trailer.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
And then my dreams of brining hope and joy to this forum were crushed by the mighty fist of the internet...
Sorry just trying to be realistic. I wouldn't expect Smash to be included in a Bayonetta direct. Unless Bayonetta is in Smash which again, is highly unlikely. I'd like to be wrong but again, trying to be realistic.

Sorry but unless you can provide a reason why Captain Falcon was in the same trailer as Lucina and Robin, just don't use that argument. If Captain Falcon can be revealed in Lucina and Robins Trailer, Mewtwo could be revealed in any Newcomers trailer.
Bayonetta and Smash are two different franchises.. that's why I said there's no reason for Mewtwo or anything Smash to be in the Bayonetta direct.

If Bayonetta was in Smash, Mewtwo would be the perfect character to pair with her, but I don't see that happening. If it does happen, sorry guys, but Bayonetta would be my main :p

Last edited:

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
Sorry just trying to be realistic. I wouldn't expect Smash to be included in a Bayonetta direct. Unless Bayonetta is in Smash which again, is highly unlikely. I'd like to be wrong but again, trying to be realistic.

Bayonetta and Smash are two different franchises..........

If Bayonetta was in Smash, Mewtwo would be the perfect character to pair with her, but I don't see that happening. If it does happen, sorry guys, but Bayonetta would be my main :p
Bayonetta 2 is being developed by Nintendo, right? And yeah, Winchester does have a point. Nintendo can put whatever characters they want in any trailer. And isn't that the point of Smash? Totally different franchises combining into one?

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman

Bayonetta and Smash are two different franchises.. that's why I said there's no reason for Mewtwo or anything Smash to be in the Bayonetta direct.

I( don't get your franchises argument.....Smash is a franchise comprised of OTHER franchises. Of course shes not a smash francvhise, just like mewtwo is not a smash franchise, and mario is not. Mewtwo is from the Pokemon Franchise, and Mario is from the Mario Franchise. If Bayonetta is partnered with Nintendo, then they are just as likley to make an appearance as Captain Falcon, Pac-Man, Snake, and any others.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
All I have to say is: I need Mewtwo

All they have to do is announce him and i will instantly love this game.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Bayonetta 2 is being developed by Nintendo, right? And yeah, Winchester does have a point. Nintendo can put whatever characters they want in any trailer. And isn't that the point of Smash? Totally different franchises combining into one?
It's being developed by Platinum Games, owned by Sega and published by Nintendo. Do I want Bayonetta in Smash? Bayonetta would be the only character I would want more than Mewtwo, but the odds of that happening are low.

I( don't get your franchises argument.....Smash is a franchise comprised of OTHER franchises. Of course shes not a smash francvhise, just like mewtwo is not a smash franchise, and mario is not. Mewtwo is from the Pokemon Franchise, and Mario is from the Mario Franchise. If Bayonetta is partnered with Nintendo, then they are just as likley to make an appearance as Captain Falcon, Pac-Man, Snake, and any others.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how the Bayonetta Direct is for Bayonetta 2. Just like how the Hyrule Warriors Direct was just for Hyrule Warriors. Hyrule Warriors could have had a Ganondorf reveal for Smash, but we didn't get anything Smash related because it was a Hyrule Warriors Direct.

I'm not sure how I can make that any clearer..

I didn't say Bayonetta can't be in Smash.

Last edited:

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
It's being developed by Platinum Games, owned by Sega and published by Nintendo. Do I want Bayonetta in Smash? Bayonetta would be the only character I would want more than Mewtwo, but the odds of that happening are low.
True, but anything could happen on Thursday. If she DID make it in, it would go to prove that there are more characters in Sm4sh than what the leaker showed us, which would be AWESOME. But anyway, let's just wait until then. Okay, back to Mewtwo.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
True, but anything could happen on Thursday. If she DID make it in, it would go to prove that there are more characters in Sm4sh than what the leaker showed us, which would be AWESOME. But anyway, let's just wait until then. Okay, back to Mewtwo.
Wasn't the podcast today pretty much proof there are more characters?

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
My avatar is now 110% more hype.

Anyway...

Daily reminder that

HYPERREALISTIC MEWTWO DOES NOT CARE FOR PETTY NONBELIEVERS!

Last edited:

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I think it's possible that we're going to get a Smash Direct a week before release, much like Hyrule Warriors did. I mean. If Hyrule Warriors can have two directs, why not Smash? I'm pretty sure that last Japanese direct didn't "count."

My avatar is now 110% more hype.

Anyway...

Daily reminder that

HYPERREALISTIC MEWTWO DOES NOT CARE FOR PETTY NONBELIEVERS!
Pretty sure that @ ORVO5 ORVO5 is the only Hyper-realistic Mewtwo 'round these parts. :4falcon:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom