• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think it would be ******** of Miyamoto not to include him at this point... and since I believe he will get in so much I will just act as if he is confirmed and not stress it when I am in the dark until the relies of the game.
Why would Miyamoto have anything to do with including a Pokemon character in smash?

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
I think if Mega Mewtwo appears, it would either be Final Smash related, or if it is a normal transformation, you could knock Mewtwo out of it if you hit him hard enough. Thus forcing him to transform again similar to the Mewtwo short that was released recently, Prologue to Awakening.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think if Mega Mewtwo appears, it would either be Final Smash related, or if it is a normal transformation, you could knock Mewtwo out of it if you hit him hard enough. Thus forcing him to transform again similar to the Mewtwo short that was released recently, Prologue to Awakening.
Oh no no no if you read about mega evolutions they are temporary only for 1 battle so we get normal form mewtwo if comfirmed or should i say when mewtwo is confirmed

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
Oh no no no if you read about mega evolutions they are temporary only for 1 battle so we get normal form mewtwo if comfirmed or should i say when mewtwo is confirmed
I have read about Mega Evolutions. They last until the end of the battle and trigger at the beginning of every battle if you are holding an specific items. However, it is very hard to make this mechanic work in Smash Bros.

Unless the 'specific item' in this case the Smash Ball, the other way I see it, is as a transformation like Zelda/Sheik. However, to differentiate it a bit, I think have the Mega form be faster with less lag (better), but be able to be knocked out would be an interested design.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I have read about Mega Evolutions. They last until the end of the battle and trigger at the beginning of every battle if you are holding an specific items. However, it is very hard to make this mechanic work in Smash Bros.

Unless the 'specific item' in this case the Smash Ball, the other way I see it, is as a transformation like Zelda/Sheik. However, to differentiate it a bit, I think have the Mega form be faster with less lag (better), but be able to be knocked out would be an interested design.
um... I will correct you on this. there is a special button to transform that can only be used while you are holding the mega stone that your pokemon needs not "trigger at the beginning of every battle if you are holding an specific items" check your facts

My take on things: the mega stone is a smash ball and once you grab the smash ball you can use the special button to transform into mega mewtwo and the transformation will last until ether 1 minute has passed or you KO your opponent
that is a bad idea but hey I tried

(and I feel like an idiot for getting the names mixed up back there)

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
um... I will correct you on this. there is a special button to transform that can only be used while you are holding the mega stone that your pokemon needs not "trigger at the beginning of every battle if you are holding an specific items" check your facts

My take on things: the mega stone is a smash ball and once you grab the smash ball you can use the special button to transform into mega mewtwo and the transformation will last until ether 1 minute has passed or you KO your opponent
that is a bad idea but hey I tried

(and I feel like an idiot for getting the names mixed up back there)
Sorry, I only saw that video today. Up until that demo, those were all the facts available.

On topic, I think Mewtwo's Final Smash could be much more interesting or eye catching than a Super Sonic style Final Smash. While I could see Sakurai just making him like a cross between Super Sonic and Giga Bowser, Mega Mewtwo currently lacks the pizazz both Super Sonic and Giga Bowser have.

Super Sonic is something that other players dread and the Sonic players love because he is stupidly overpowered and turns into a beacon of light, just like in the games.
Giga Bowser is a towering monstrosity that takes up the entire stages, becoming the focus of the battle and can not be ignored.

Mega Mewtwo would be at least as small as sonic and less flashy. He would also not be as imposing and eye catching as Giga Bowser, let alone being able to turn the battle around him.
While Mega Mewtwo has more power and speed than normal Mewtwo, he also shrinks in size considerably. I can more see his Mega form as being a special transformation that trades survivability for power and speed, than a proper final smash. A high risk, high reward mode.

I would much prefer some overpowering psychic attack that seems to take over both the field and the other character's minds, like an overblown Psystrike, for his final smash.

Who knows, maybe Mega Mewtwo will end up being more of a demigod of psychic power in the games/movie then I am anticipating. However, from what I have seen so far, the power up doesn't seem so extreme as to make it Final Smash level.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Guys, let me give you the straight facts.

Mewtwo's final smash will be turning into Mega Mewtwo, yes, but it will not be a Wario-man style controllable final smash. He will simply turn into Mega Mewtwo, do the Final Smash animation (whatever it may be) and turn back.

Why is it going to be like this? Simple, it saves time and manpower, which are going to be very crucial to handling SSB4's huge roster. Mega Mewtwo has to be represented in gameplay somehow, but his body shape is far too unique to borrow animations like many clones do. Creating an entire slew of animations to go with the model would be too much work. Think about it. That's an entire character's worth of work for an optional feature which will only last a short duration in practice.

So yeah, a Wario-Man style FS is out of the question.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Guys, let me give you the straight facts.

Mewtwo's final smash will be turning into Mega Mewtwo, yes, but it will not be a Wario-man style controllable final smash. He will simply turn into Mega Mewtwo, do the Final Smash animation (whatever it may be) and turn back.

Why is it going to be like this? Simple, it saves time and manpower, which are going to be very crucial to handling SSB4's huge roster. Mega Mewtwo has to be represented in gameplay somehow, but his body shape is far too unique to borrow animations like many clones do. Creating an entire slew of animations to go with the model would be too much work. Think about it. That's an entire character's worth of work for an optional feature which will only last a short duration in practice.

So yeah, a Wario-Man style FS is out of the question.
It's true that they can't lend animations from other models, that's actually a huge detraction towards it being a transformation FS. Plus, they probably don't want too many transformation FSs.

If they really want to rep 6th gen though they can always just make him permanently stay in the form, though I highly doubt that, not only because of how it works in X & Y, but because Sakurai likely knows which Mewtwo we want. Only if Game Freak would only allow the new form in can I see him permanently staying in that form.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Wario Man doesn't have any of his own animations. Niether does giga bowser. Super Sonic/Pika have just one.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Exactly. That's because their models are so similar in shape they can just borrow the animations from their normal selves.

Mega Mewtwo wouldn't be able to do that.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So yeah, even though some or most might find Mega Mewtwo X even uglier than the previous mega form, I think it actually looks pretty awesome for a half psychic/fighting type. Only thing I might've changed was the length of the legs, but that's about it.

Makes me wonder how Mewtwo having a new form in general would've been received if they had promoted the X form before the Y form, including having X in that Genesect movie. Even though there still would've been some ******** here and there, I think maybe he would've been better received than people's initial reactions to the Y form on that movie poster, considering it maintains the mature appearance of Classictwo instead of looking like a younger version with the tail in the wrong place, but that's just me.

Steelia

Smash Champion

Mega Mewtwo X looks awesome! Way better than his butthead Y MegaEvo. But it does raise an interesting question - will Sakurai find a way to implement both his X & Y selves into the game? Or will he just make Mewtwo's FS Psystrike, and have the MegaEvos as just trophies or something? Now that the entirety of Pokemon Trainer's team has MegaEvos, as well as Lucario... Mewtwo being just his standard self without an evolving Final Smash would actually make him more unique.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sadly, the Y form might be more likely to be implemented into the moveset (even if just as a final smash) due to being promoted more and revealed at an earlier time, which makes me mad they didn't show the X form first.

If Mewtwo in general were to get a complete overhaul for Smash though, I wouldn't mind if they made a half fighting/psychic moveset for the X form. Even though Lucario's also half fighting, Xtwo would still have the psychic/telekinetic moves here and there in addition to different kinds of fighting/physical moves, but I guess some would yell "clone!" anyway.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I got some good ideas on Mewtwos X form

Here are the Possibilities

1 not in at all Sakurai could be focuses on mewtwo Y unless he learned about mewtwo X Before he was even created

2 one form as the final smash in wii u and the other form as a final smash in 3ds

3 Mewtwo X could be down B even though psystrike or another barrier/reflector attack is more likely for down B

4 maybe both forms for a final smash if you press A one form Activates and if you press B the other one activates

Thats my theories and the X form helps even more because of even more popular in x an y now

Steelia

Smash Champion
2 one form as the final smash in wii u and the other form as a final smash in 3ds

4 maybe both forms for a final smash if you press A one form Activates and if you press B the other one activates
I like these two.
With #1, having Ytwo on WiiU and Xtwo on 3DS, for instance, would at least give some people an incentive to buy both versions. I know exclusivity isn't in the cards, from what Sakurai has said so far... but this is one of the rare instances where it could work, while keeping the core character (Mewtwo) apart of both rosters.

Likewise, with #4... oh! How about instead of pressing "A" and "B" for Mewtwo's FS, you press "X" or "Y" on the Classic Controller or something? It'd probably be different buttons if using a Wiimote/nunchuk combo, but that'd be pretty awesome. X Button for Xtwo, Y Button for Ytwo. It's perfect :)

For #1, there's no way Game Freak would've made Ytwo and not have had Xtwo in the works. I mean, that leaker on Pokebeach who predicted there'd be two Mewtwo MegaEvos (among many other details) was months ago back in June! So Xtwo has been around for a lot longer, at least conceptually.
Just look at Roy. His game wasn't even out yet, and he didn't even have a name when he was added into SSBM! So no doubt Game Freak gave Sakurai the heads-up about Mewtwo having two potential MegaEvos way in advance...

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Mega Mewtwo X is awesome quite honestly.

Talking probabilities, Mewtwo is the most probable out of all the smash pokemon to get his Mega form as a FS. Hopefully you can choose between both versions and they do different things, but ultimately I don't play much with FS so I don't really mind. I am happy Mega Mewtwo Y cannot be considered a "base" form anymore as it would cause problems over promoting one evo more than the other.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Mega Mewtwo X tempts my fantasies of having an actual Fighting type be a playable character.
Judging from the few screenshots we have of him and the info released by Game Freak, it sounds like Xtwo is going to be a very physical fighter, even moreso than Lucario, who relies heavily on his Aura/ranged abilities versus actual non-aura hand-to-hand combat. Jump kicks, punches, and Giga Impacts incoming :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Another Drop Kick F-Smash perhaps?

Really, am clueless as to what to expect from Mewtwo at this point.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I think he'll get both forms. Either as a special or as two separate final smashes.

Mewtwo y could stand still and do a psychic attack, and mewtwo x could be a transformation with faster physical attacks or something.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, our new 6th Gen Pokémon, as well as our new Pokémon Trainer are gonna be Mewtwo?

Kool.

I still prefer Classic Mewtwo though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They are in-battle forms though, and battle is kinda the thing what happens in Smash. Or, well... partying? Cause everyone says Smash is more a party game than a fighting game. :rolleyes: But still, yeah I hope Classic becomes playable and the Mega Evolution is his Final Smash.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
They are in-battle forms though, and battle is kinda the thing what happens in Smash. Or, well... partying? Cause everyone says Smash is more a party game than a fighting game. :rolleyes: But still, yeah I hope Classic becomes playable and the Mega Evolution is his Final Smash.
It's still extremely likely that classic form mewtwo will be playable and the mega evolution form for final smash because the mega evolutions change they're stats

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588

I like this design more than the Y-version. But still...I can't help but wonder what he'd look like with normal Mewtwo's feet.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As I said before, I really don't know what to expect. But both new forms would be extremely well suit for Smash in their own regards though. I still prefer Classic over it's design. And cause I was always having great expectations of buffs in his Melee moveset. Cause it overall wasn't so bad.

With some basic buffs in strenght, shield damage, range, priority and some speed and weight, Mewtwo is already a good character in Melee. Grab range should also increase, and new specials of coarse.

I'll keep my expectations more open though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's probably a way to implement Mewtwo's mega forms, if possible.

Mewtwo can alternate between its forms with its down special. Each form offers its distinct pros and cons...

Normal Mewtwo: Balanced direct and indirect strength. Mid-heavy (around Link's weight), and has decent speed (rivaling Pit's running). Final Smash is Psystrike.

Mega Mewtwo X: High direct strength, but reduced indirect strength. Heavyweight (rivaling Ganondorf), but has its speed reduced (only able to rival Wolf's running). Final Smash is Close Combat.

Mega Mewtwo Y: High indirect strength, but reduced direct strength. High speed (rivaling Zero Suit Samus's running), but has its weight reduced to lightweight levels (weight is tied with Peach). Final Smash is Psystrike, but it packs more power than Normal Mewtwo's Psystrike.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Personally I found this new Mewtwo form a LOT easier to come to terms with. Looks a lot more like a Mega evolution than Y does IMO.

Aside from Mario_Sonic's idea, I can see X becoming an alternate costume, while Y continues to serve as a Final Smash.

As a side note though, I'm kinda bummed that they didn't use both forms in Movie 16. Could have had the old masculine Mewtwo from Movie 1 Mega Evolve into X, while the new feminine Mewtwo could have Mega Evolved into Y. Thus we would have gotten a shout out instead of screw you to older fans, a better way to introduce Mewtwo to newer fans, and a kick*** Mewtwo tag team against the Genesect Army.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I for one enjoy that OG Mewtwo has purple eyes and its Mega forms have blue (X) and red (Y) respectively. Considering Mega Evolutions can simply be activated in a Pokémon battle, Mewtwo's Mega forms might easily be controllable transformations. As such, Mewtwo may borrow (or steal) Pokémon Trainer's trio mechanic. If Lucario returns as well, I could foresee him gaining a Mega Evolution. Considering Charizard has a Mega Evolution, that would be quite a bummer to limit Squirtle and Ivysaur in favor of Mega Charizard, so Pokémon Trainer will either change Pokémon to accommodate Mega Evolutions, or retain its current FS (more or less).

One thing's for certain: Mega Evolutions just changed a lot of our presumptions about Pokémon in Smash Bros.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, with two mega evolutions I'm absolutely at a loss regarding how Mewtwo will be implemented in the game. I hope it's the original one, but I just don't see how they can implement both megas into his moveset or final smash. I hope Lucario gets to stick with his mega evo for a final smash, while Mewtwo and Pokémon Trainer gets to stay as is.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, with two mega evolutions I'm absolutely at a loss regarding how Mewtwo will be implemented in the game. I hope it's the original one, but I just don't see how they can implement both megas into his moveset or final smash. I hope Lucario gets to stick with his mega evo for a final smash, while Mewtwo and Pokémon Trainer gets to stay as is.
One way to figure this out is that Mewtwo would follow the transformation order below, much like with how the Pokemon Trainer swaps his Pokemon...

Normal -> X -> Y -> Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom