• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So I thought I would be okay with Mewtwo not being in Sm4sh. Like I would be more disappointed than ever but I would get over it.

I just watched both Mewtwo movies. I have never wanted him more than just now. The hype is killing me and if it leads to disappointment I'll be absolutely gutted.
Both=?

-First Movie+Returns
-First Movie+Genesect
-Returns+Genesect

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
The Genesect done doesn't count.

Well it does, but when Im doing a Mewtwo marathon Im not ruining it with that movie.
Sounds like me when I first saw the Mewtwo movies again. Melee was long out at that time, and as soon as I found out Mewtwo was in it I wanted it. I'll be gutted as well if he doesn't come back.

The 16th movie isn't *that* bad. It's just not the same, and it does take a while to get used to the voice acting. D:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Sounds like me when I first saw the Mewtwo movies again. Melee was long out at that time, and as soon as I found out Mewtwo was in it I wanted it. I'll be gutted as well if he doesn't come back.

The 16th movie isn't *that* bad. It's just not the same, and it does take a while to get used to the voice acting. D:
Don't get me wrong, the 16th movie was an enjoyable watch and I do think its a decent movie but when compared to Mewtwo Strikes Back and Mewtwo Returns its garbage. I don't have a problem with a Female Mewtwo nor that its not the same Mewtwo. None of that matters, I think its great personally but the fact that there were so many plot holes and such ruins the movie for me. They could have mentioned Ash has met another Mewtwo before and that this was a different one within a short 2 minute scene to clear it all up but they didn't and thats what annoys me.

Anyway I think I may actually watch the 16th movie. Ive got a 3 hours until Doctor Who is on. Its either that or play some Skyrim.

Ps. I wouldn't mind if it was actually FemTwo in Sm4sh. She was pretty badass.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Don't get me wrong, the 16th movie was an enjoyable watch and I do think its a decent movie but when compared to Mewtwo Strikes Back and Mewtwo Returns its garbage. I don't have a problem with a Female Mewtwo nor that its not the same Mewtwo. None of that matters, I think its great personally but the fact that there were so many plot holes and such ruins the movie for me. They could have mentioned Ash has met another Mewtwo before and that this was a different one within a short 2 minute scene to clear it all up but they didn't and thats what annoys me.

Anyway I think I may actually watch the 16th movie. Ive got a 3 hours until Doctor Who is on. Its either that or play some Skyrim.

It's strange that Ash didn't even mention his previous encounter with Mewtwo. ...you would think another encounter would stir up some memories of the last time.
-.- Makes it seem like Mewtwo did erases his memories again...

THIS, is the Mewtwo we all know and love. I mean, just look at how epic he looks with his...now iconic....cape! XD
Edit:
My GOD.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So I thought I would be okay with Mewtwo not being in Sm4sh. Like I would be more disappointed than ever but I would get over it.

I just watched both Mewtwo movies. I have never wanted him more than just now. The hype is killing me and if it leads to disappointment I'll be absolutely gutted.
I think , for the great final, you must see the final part of Origins. The final duel between Red's Charizard and Mewtwo is EPIC!!

Mewtwosmash

Smash Rookie
Hello fellow Mewtwo fans! I just joined this thread and I'm really hoping Mewtwo strikes back!:150::joyful:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

That's the thing that bugged me the most about that movie. The original previews had Ash recognizing Mewtwo and they even took the time to have the 1st movie play on TV in HD for the first time as a celebration. Honestly, the whole marketing campaign played on nostalgia when the movie had nothing to do with it.

I still stand by saying that the Male Mewtwo should have also been in the movie (probably being able to turn into Mega X). It would have been perfect: cover up plotholes, appeal to old/new fans, more chances for character development, etc.

Mewtwosmash

Smash Rookie
I found a good video on YouTube about Mewtwo being playable but I don't know how to find the url! Plz help!

Smashbro596

Smash Ace

i liked the female mewtwo. it isnt the same one made on cinnabar, for sure.... but i think it still has SOME connections to team rocket. if thats the case, they could be cousins. :3:150::mewtwomelee::mewtwopm::151:
if the 1st movie mewtwo DOES return, it should mega evolve into mega mewtwo X :O

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Oh I loved the mewtwo movie and the old pokemon episodes, oh the nostalgia!

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
It's strange that Ash didn't even mention his previous encounter with Mewtwo. ...you would think another encounter would stir up some memories of the last time.

THIS, is the Mewtwo we all know and love. I mean, just look at how epic he looks with his...now iconic....cape! XD
Edit:
My GOD.
always thought the "armor" (notice the quotations since it didnt really protect mewtwo but was just a way for giovanni to control it) it had in the first movie would make the best sense for an alternate costume for sure. so what if it weakened mewtwo slightly? it looked BADDASS for sure!!
also, movie canon is debateable at best. when ash sees lugia in johto, in the japanese dub he claims its a pokemon he had never seen before, but the english dub (i despise 4kids fyi) said at least "hey! i saw it back on the orange islands!"

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The status quo is God.

That's the thing that bugged me the most about that movie. The original previews had Ash recognizing Mewtwo and they even took the time to have the 1st movie play on TV in HD for the first time as a celebration. Honestly, the whole marketing campaign played on nostalgia when the movie had nothing to do with it.

I still stand by saying that the Male Mewtwo should have also been in the movie (probably being able to turn into Mega X). It would have been perfect: cover up plotholes, appeal to old/new fans, more chances for character development, etc.
False advertising. Everyone does it nowadays.

2 Mewtwo's in a single movie? Sounds a tad too much, Wahwee, but it's an interesting concept.

I think , for the great final, you must see the final part of Origins. The final duel between Red's Charizard and Mewtwo is EPIC!!
This indeed. Although looking at Mewtwo with an oh crap face is disconcerting.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
False advertising. Everyone does it nowadays.
The Pokemon Company just knows that anything that calls back to Green/Red/Blue/Yellow people will eat up. Still I don't quite understand why they chose a new Mewtwo over the established one, when it makes much more sense overall bar newer fans (who to be fair, probably saw the original movie during the advertising campaign).

I can't tell you how many people I know who bought X/Y because you could get the Gen 1 Starters.

2 Mewtwo's in a single movie? Sounds a tad too much, Wahwee, but it's an interesting concept.
I was thinking more of a "Love me Senpai" kinda thing. :lol:

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Im glad im not the only fan of mewtwo here :p
mewtwo is my overall favorite pokemon in general. and theres one claim mewtwo had that no other pokemon had: it was pretty much unstoppable in gen 1. lack of bug or ghost type moves, and the supreme power of psychics... i feel mewtwo was one of the whole reasons dark types were invented to begin with (though mewtwo can learn aura sphere as a middle finger to dark types). plus, when you think about it... theres another circle that can be made with mewtwos inclusion. fighting is strong against dark, dark is strong against psychic, psychic is strong against fighting. so what if instead of Grass>fire>water they were intending to go with fighting(lucario)>psychic(mewtwo)>dark(greninja)?
i have a feeling im gonna love greninja all the same, dont get me wrong (started with it in x :p i have a soft spot for water starters)....but nothing will replace mewtwo.

Last edited:

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
I think the reason movie 16 Mewtwo was made was because of Arceus. Remember, movie 1 Mewtwo was said to be the strongest Pokemon in the world but as soon as Arceus came along that became invalid.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
I think the reason movie 16 Mewtwo was made was because of Arceus. Remember, movie 1 Mewtwo was said to be the strongest Pokemon in the world but as soon as Arceus came along that became invalid.
then mega mewtwo x/y came along and promptly dethroned it in terms of base stats :p
besides, times have changed, there is much more balance here then there was then. arceus, no matter which form it takes, will still always be a single type. and theres more damaging moves now from each type than there were in gen 1. mewtwo, however, always had that distinction of being....near broken in terms of strength. mewtwo may have been nerfed since gen 1.... but it can learn moves to potentially counter any type.
heck, one of its OWN natural moves can counter its biggest weakness since gen 4: the dark type. and it can also learn poison jab for the "invincible" fairy type. or shadow ball for ghosts and other psychics (thank you movie 1 mewtwo, i based my mewtwo around you!) and don't even get me started on its signature move psystrike. giovanni/mr fuji(depending on canon) knew what they were doing to create the worlds strongest pokemon

Last edited:

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
then mega mewtwo x/y came along and promptly dethroned it in terms of base stats :p
besides, times have changed, there is much more balance here then there was then. arceus, no matter which form it takes, will still always be a single type. and theres more damaging moves now from each type than there were in gen 1. mewtwo, however, always had that distinction of being....near broken in terms of strength. mewtwo may have been nerfed since gen 1.... but it can learn moves to potentially counter any type.
Yeah, but I'm talking about Mewtwo without megalutions.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Yeah, but I'm talking about Mewtwo without megalutions.
even without the mega evolutions it is still a force to be reckoned with. i just talked about how i can counter its BIGGEST weaknesses (being dark or ghost). it can still learn damaging moves from each type, and arceus no matter what plate it holds, will always be one typed. so potentially i can counter it with mewtwo depending on if i know what type it is. i love arceus dont get me wrong.... but mewtwo was and still is, king.
but smash doesnt have weaknesses (otherwise shadow ball would NEVER hit jigglypuff). i was just explaining why i love mewtwo. :3
honestly, now that custom movesets are in i am a bit curious what it would be like if a pokemon like mew could be in future installments (lets face it, mew can learn ANY tm/hm and ALMOST any move tutor.) mewtwo itself can learn a wide range of moves. from flamethrowers to ice beams. i hope that with custom movesets we could get freezing or electrocuting moves for mewtwo :O

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Ok figured out the url here it is!
Great vid.

Here's even more reasoning why I think he'll be in it (some overlap with others' reasons).

-Literally the most popular fan-requested character.
-Seriously, this thread alone has 220+ pages right now. That's a couple thousand replies.

-Almost made it into Brawl, and his increased popularity should make him higher priority.
-This character alone could impact Sm4sh's marketing by taking advantage of fans' hopes.
-Extremely high representation as of late. 2 Mega Evo's, 16th Movie and again, extreme wants from fans.

-Every leaker, INCLUDING the one who leaked an accurate roster (not final, though), has mentioned that Mewtwo will be one of the final playable characters.
-Even though I didn't believe the leak at first, this guy is a bit more trustworthy than others, especially since he was apparently the guy at Nintendo communicating with ESRB.

-Dr. Mario is another Melee character, so that cuts any possibilities of anyone from 2 games ago being left out.
-Too many Pokemon? Nah. Mario has 7 slots as of the leak; Pokemon having 6 wouldn't be too bad.
-As I mentioned before, Greninja's trailer was INTENTIONALLY misleading due to him having smaller, unwebbed fingers to appear like Mewtwo's.
-Sakurai's trolling knows no bounds, and I'm pretty sure he'd keep the most hoped-for character under the most extreme of wraps, to ensure that in no way gets leaked visually.
-Some people have argued that a Legendary Pokemon would be too powerful for Sm4sh. What? No. Smash universe is canonically different from each characters' individual universe. Besides, Palutena is a goddess.

-Name a better Pokemon to take up a slot. (This is assuming Jigglypuff returns alongside Mewtwo)

Also, I'd enjoy seeing this being reenacted in some way (even though only one of em will likely be able to Mega at a time)

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The Pokemon Company just knows that anything that calls back to Green/Red/Blue/Yellow people will eat up. Still I don't quite understand why they chose a new Mewtwo over the established one, when it makes much more sense overall bar newer fans (who to be fair, probably saw the original movie during the advertising campaign).

I can't tell you how many people I know who bought X/Y because you could get the Gen 1 Starters.

I was thinking more of a "Love me Senpai" kinda thing. :lol:
ERMAGHERD DOCTAH WAHWEE QUOTED MEEEEEEE

Because new decisions. See below.

Do you want to piss off shippers that much wahwee, 2 Mewtwo's omg

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Edit:
My GOD.
The true Icon of what it means to be a legendary pokemon!!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Mewtwo's too hype inducing to not be revealed. If he came alongside Ridley, the internet would explode.
I've concluded that after PAC MAN was shown behind closed doors and reveals via tweets, Sakurai doesn't really care too much about stirring hype like that with character trailers.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman

Edit:
My GOD.
it's pretty normal when you consider that it had no bearing on the plot of this movie and that the movies are for little kids who likely haven't seen the original pokemon movie

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I've concluded that after PAC MAN was shown behind closed doors and reveals via tweets, Sakurai doesn't really care too much about stirring hype like that with character trailers.
Point taken.

sakurai dont care for the west much anyway :seuss:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Soooooo Errrmm
NOTHING GOT EXTREMLY OFF TOPIC WHEN I WAS OFF

Is everyone now thinking that Mewtwo is a secret character?
I'm sure he is.
At this point he'll be the only secret character in the game. Tbh I don't really expect many surprises, I think they're pretty much gonna spoil almost the entire roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom