• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2016: Smash 4 Top 8

After over 2000 entrants and a day-and-a-half of tense competition, Super Smash Bros for Wii U at EVO 2016 has reached it's finale: top 8.

Upsets, comebacks and the like happened over the duration of the event but the dust has settled. These 8 will compete for the title of champion at the biggest event of the year, a large prize pool and so much more:

Winners Bracket:
Yuta "Abadango" Kawamura (:4mewtwo:) vs Elliot "Ally" Carroza-Oyarce (:4mario:)
Takuto "Kamemushi" Ono (:4megaman:) vs James "CLG | VoiD" Makekau-Tyson (:4sheik:)

Losers Bracket:
Larry "eLv | Larry Lurr" Holland (:4fox:) vs Gonzalo "TSM | ZeRo" Barrios (:4diddy:)
Hayashi "Ranai" Ryuto (:4villager:) vs Samuel "dT | Dabuz" Buzby (:rosalina:)

You can check out the top 8 round of Smash 4 over at the official Twitch channel, now.

For more coverage on EVO 2016, stay tuned on Smashboards.

Last edited:

Comments

Looks like Japan has finally stepped up their game.
Uh yea problem is it's only that One guy Abadango that's pretty much carrying Japan all the way with him being the best Mewtwo player in the world. I hear Ranai is good but is slumping lately, it's this Kamemushi character that baffles me a bit I have no clue about him honestly but looking at him hopefully he's better than Scatt for Japan's sake!

Last edited:
Uh yea problem is it's only that One guy Abadango that's pretty much carrying Japan all the way with him being the best Mewtwo player in the world. I hear Ranai is good but is slumping lately, it's this Kamemushi character that baffles me a bit I have no clue about him honestly but looking at him hopefully he's better than Scatt for Japan's sake!
I find your ignorance both astounding and amusing.

EDIT: Japan has the best Mewtwo (Abadango), the best Mega Man (Kamemushi is at least twice the mega man ScAtt is), the best little mac (//), the best Villager (Ranai), the two best sonics (Komorikiri and KEN), the best Pit (Earth) and the two best peaches (Kie and Umeki). Additionally, pretty much all the top Duck Hunts outside of ImHip are in Japan, and character diversity in Japan is unreal. On top of that, every single top player in Japan is capable of winning a japanese national. Every. Single. One. Japan is an amazing region, arguably the best region in the world, and the fact that you know nothing about them just baffles me.

EDIT2: Predictable "But like none of these players have results outside of Japan": Japan as a country is extremely hard-working and their players have full-time jobs, making travel outside of Japan for the required amount of time to attend a multi-day major difficult. "Professional Smasher" isn't a career in Japan.

Last edited:
Japan has... the best Villager (Ranai)
Ranai is amazing. Just my opinion though. He's got so much talent that shouldn't go to waste. He's also my favourite Smasher.
You are so wrong. Japan has a ton of good players. TDK explained it above.

Perhaps, but they only care about Abadango, Ranai, Umeki, and at this point Kamemushi (by the way major kudos to that epic performance). Out of subject maybe, but WHERE'S the love for Corrin or my boy Greninja those two are awesome why are they so rejected WHY???:mad088::mad088::mad088:

Perhaps, but they only care about Abadango, Ranai, Umeki, and at this point Kamemushi (by the way major kudos to that epic performance). Out of subject maybe, but WHERE'S the love for Corrin or my boy Greninja those two are awesome why are they so rejected WHY???:mad088::mad088::mad088:
That couldn't be further from the truth. "care about" in no way equates to who they send to the US. Simply put, some of Japan's top players, like you3, Nasubi, and Kie, don't travel to the US because they can't. It takes a lot of time (6 day minimum including travelling) and money to travel to the US for a major, and that's something a lot of the japanese smashers don't have, since most of them have full-time jobs. As such, if you want to accquaint yourself with Japan, you have to watch Japanese videos, not american ones, or you're missing most of the picture.

Top Bottom