• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2015 Rules Finalized For Smash Wii U

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Wow, Omega Stages banned?
Well, apparently the EVO rule makers are complete jokes. Diddy Kong could make a better stage roster, and he's got the mind of a chimp that NEEDS to be controlled.

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
Still surprised with people debating on customs lol.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Here's hoping there's some sort of loophole where if they mute the game they can gentleman's agreement anywhere. No music, no problem, right?
Well, if you want both players to be disqualified as the rules state they will be, by all means, go for it.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Wow, Omega Stages banned?
Well, apparently the EVO rule makers are complete jokes. Diddy Kong could make a better stage roster, and he's got the mind of a chimp that NEEDS to be controlled.
Not to be rude, but did you read WHY they are banned? Evo doesn't have much of a choice here due to music licensing issues. Increase your literacy rate before going out and without a base insulting people or else you'll have people insulting you randomly over a lack of reading ability ;)

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
...I think I get it. I think I see what EVO is doing.

We've had all of these controversial issues. Custom moves. 2 vs. 3 stock, and within 2, 5 vs. 6 vs. 4 minutes. Stagelist questions, with how many should be starters, from 3 to 5 to all of them.

Ask yourself this: Were it not for EVO, how many of these would be given a chance? Would most of the community look into custom specials to see what good and bad they bring? Would there be the same discussion as to how the stagelist should affect play?

Or would everyone just stick to what they felt most comfortable with while the major TOs focused on the simplest and most conservative rulesets regardless of if it truly was for the best?

EVO is taking a huge risk by making so many changes to the "normal" national-level rulesets. But by doing this, now the entire community has reason to look into things a significant part of it may never have bothered with otherwise.

They're giving us a reason to test the things that need to be tested.

And while we don't yet know whether custom moves will cause more good or harm, whether having every stage available in the first round, or even whether keeping the stock number at two will turn out to be the right move...by the end of the summer, we'll have a much better idea of what works best.

Last edited:

saberzerq

Smash Rookie
Perhaps this is a dumb question but...why is there licensing issues with the music??? This is Nintendo's game right? So why would there be any problems? They got it in the game legally, so why would there be an issue with broadcasting some people playing the game, with music in it, that's in the game?! Please someone explain cause I don't understand this at all...

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo potentially not being legal is just stupid. No matter what, he should be legal.

If I have to deal with custom moves that I am unfamiliar with, then there is no reason I should not have to deal with a character that remains unfamiliar to me. Matter of fact, it makes the game more fun.

Omega's being banned because of music is just... it makes no sense. You can mute songs, and even the volume of the sound entirely when necessary if so measured.

You mean Omega Battlefield should be illegal? That is just silly.

Most of all, I like what I see. those two gripes aside, the rules look great and has me ready to dedicate my life to the livestream to come.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Perhaps this is a dumb question but...why is there licensing issues with the music??? This is Nintendo's game right? So why would there be any problems? They got it in the game legally, so why would there be an issue with broadcasting some people playing the game, with music in it, that's in the game?! Please someone explain cause I don't understand this at all...
1. Songs from Namco and Capcom.
2. Samples taken from other songs which Nintendo used in their songs. I think Earthbound is notorious for doing this, so there could be issues if someone tries to play on omega Onett.

Allowing the music to be in the game =/= allowing it to be broadcast.

Last edited:

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
This tournament is going to flip this game on its head and break it apart.

Whether that's for better or worse remains to be seen but one thing is certain: I'm f**king hyped.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Also, full list stage striking.

And on that day, many tears were shed by stage conservative players who only pick Smashville.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Reasonable Ruleset IMO.

Hopefully Mewtwo will be released soon so it will be allowed as well, with decent prep time for Customs. Please let that ND mid-next-week be ture.

Wintry

Smash Cadet
Couldn't you mute the non-legal music in My Music beforehand? Would take maybe an extra 5 minutes of setup. That way we could a bigger variety at least.

Otherwise, I'm cool with the rules. Can't wait!

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Couldn't you mute the non-legal music in My Music beforehand? Would take maybe an extra 5 minutes of setup. That way we could a bigger variety at least.

Otherwise, I'm cool with the rules. Can't wait!
Well to be fair, if all the songs on a particular stage are a no-no, putting all the bars down is the same as putting them all up.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
This is definitely the first big experiment for Sm4sh. I hope we see both good and bad things about it so we can continue to refine it over the next few months.

And hopefully not a few more months of arguing. Discussion. God, please no more arguing.
This.

May we experiment if we have to but in the end we need a definitive ruleset for competitive Smash 4 tournaments and stay that way. I honestly didn't think it'd be this hard to decide.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I get the gist of the 60 second rule is to prevent coaching (which is why its kinda weird its not in the melee rules as well) but isn't 60 seconds a little short considering you need to ban, cp, and select movesets?
Selecting custom move sets literally adds maybe half a second, max.

Movesets
May we experiment if we have to but in the end we need a definitive ruleset for competitive Smash 4 tournaments and stay that way. I honestly didn't think it'd be this hard to decide.
The console game is barely 4 months old. In the end, yes we need a definitive ruleset. But we aren't "at the end. " we've barely left "in the beginning"

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Nice to know customs are legal. Sucks we can't see Omega stages, though.

Did Brawl never have this licensing issue?

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Full stage striking sounds cool. I hope we'll see more stages being used for starters. The ruleset doesn't mention anything about banning stages in the other matches though, which confuses me. Like, will the winner ban 1 stage or 2 stages or what? Also, it's interesting that character picking is before stage picking but customs picking is after stage picking. That's kind of unusual, right? Overall I'm happy with the ruleset, although I won't be able to attend EVO. I have kind of stopped caring about 3 or 2 stocks by now.

Last edited:

mobilisq

Smash Ace
I sincerely hope that we don't see a ton of Villagers at EVO just trying to time everyone out on the ledge, since customs make it much easier to do for Villager. Customs open up a lot of possibilities for more fun and hype, and I for one don't want that to be killed by this certain tactic.

Seeing it once is cringeworthy enough, I dunno if I would make it through EVO if there were a lot of people doing it.
Gotta admit, though, watching puffster and jtails take down adhd was quite fun to watch

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
Look, the whole customs thing is gonna be hard as all of the custom move badges are not there on that wii u system. This means that you would have to go and get all of the custom moves in classic, trophy rush, and other places too. Besides, my custom would just be a Captain Falcon with the smooth lander boots and some other stuff to balance him out. whatevs tho

Szion

Smash Journeyman
aww lucario cant use dowwn B 3.

Maybe its unbalanced and thats why??

HOO HAH

Smash Rookie
It kinda sucks that they limit controller usage. Which is why I switched to using the GC controller knowing that using anything else might bite me in the butt. It's like they are forcing us to use the norm, and to further discourage deviation, even at the benefit of the player.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
This is going to probably be a disaster. Two smash games at Evo? Melee takes long enough lol, why most smashers are so violently opposed to having reasonable round times is beyond me. A round in a fighting game really should not take more than ~4 minutes at the absolute most.

Pips~

Smash Rookie
NNID
LillePingle
It seems really silly, the fact that they put all of these songs in the game that they have been working so hard to market, only to basically censor a lot of stages because of music.

(I love when people gentleman's to a non-legal stage, it's hilarious)
I'm probably really stupid, but why is disabling the specific music you can't use - not an option?

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I'm probably really stupid, but why is disabling the specific music you can't use - not an option?
Nah you're not stupid.

You can "disable" songs by putting them all the way down as long as at least 1 song has some bar, but if all of them are all the way down, they all have an equal chance to appear. It's weird, I know.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
RIP Omega Boxing Ring. ;_;7

That stage had the best music, too...

But alas, music licensing issues suck. But people do need to realize that the songs' composers may not have all agreed with having the music broadcasted, having only agreed to it being in the game. Those are quite different things.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Selecting custom move sets literally adds maybe half a second, max.

Movesets

The console game is barely 4 months old. In the end, yes we need a definitive ruleset. But we aren't "at the end. " we've barely left "in the beginning"
Well how long did it take to make Brawl's and Melee's ruleset?

D

Deleted member

The issues over music licensing is just an example of the obnoxious legal games people/companies like to play for no other reason than to make themselves feel powerful and in control. It's really freaking stupid and leaves a bad taste in everybody's mouths. What a shame.

(And before anybody jumps all over me, I'm not saying this is Evo's fault. It's the victim of this idiocy after all.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well how long did it take to make Brawl's and Melee's ruleset?
It took quite a while for stages, stage striking/counterpick systems, Stock/time to get a concensus, even then not everyone agreed. Brawl also had to deal with the banning/not banning of Metaknight, and Melee with Wobbling, both of which came in after quite a longer length of time than now.

Last edited:

Hard_Sprinkle

Smash Rookie
People who spend hours trying to figure out how to respond to the various specials that give their main's problems is why I am not a fan of custom move sets. If, lets say Luigi, gives my D3 problems, I'm going to grind until I can be comfortable going against Luigi's moves. Throwing customs into the mix eliminates all of that time and effort on my end. Sm4sh is about grind, and I wouldn't be caught dead at a tourney that took my time and effort away from me.

D

Deleted member

Throwing customs into the mix eliminates all of that time and effort on my end. Sm4sh is about grind, and I wouldn't be caught dead at a tourney that took my time and effort away from me.
How is your time and effort being "eliminated?" You prepared for 4 of a character's specials, and that knowledge is not suddenly going to go away. It's just that now you have more moves to prepare for, moves that everybody has known about since a week after Smash3DS was released. If you failed to prepare for those moves even though you knew they existed, that's your fault.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Also, full list stage striking.

And on that day, many tears were shed by stage conservative players who only pick Smashville.
aww lucario cant use dowwn B 3.

Maybe its unbalanced and thats why??
I guess the Lucario players that agreed about the move sets did not like the Paralyzing Counter which I don't know why I love that move for all of the followups you can do if it connects.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Gotta admit, though, watching puffster and jtails take down adhd was quite fun to watch
It was surprisingly tense watching Tweek, Jtails, Dapuffster, and Nairo get around that tactic. Nairo wasn't doing so well though he looked flustered personally I think he should of went Zelda since she has moves that would prevent Villager's antics. Maybe some of the players could of gone with a transforming stage like Skyloft, Delfino Plaza, Wuhu Island, or Castle Siege since some of the transformations do not have ledges to camp.

Top Bottom