• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everything You Need to Know About Pikmin

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It isn't new, but it's very helpful.

Ness' pkthunder will be absorbed by all pikmin, but the yelllow pikmin will keep hitting him, and the other pikmin will just get fried. Ness won't be able to recover afterwards.

Lucas' pkthunder on the other hand won't get abosorbed. It will go through the pikmin and he'll get to recover.

Waza

Smash Apprentice
It isn't new, but it's very helpful.

Ness' pkthunder will be absorbed by all pikmin, but the yelllow pikmin will keep hitting him, and the other pikmin will just get fried. Ness won't be able to recover afterwards.

Lucas' pkthunder on the other hand won't get abosorbed. It will go through the pikmin and he'll get to recover.
In other words, the yellows (others get fried after taking one up-b) keep absorbing the Up-b from Ness, unless he takes the time to knock them off. So Ness for sure, but I believe i got lucas once with this....but i could have just been it messed with his head. I'll have to do research on that again. If one doesnt do the job, latch two on there :p

Very nice discovery, what effect does it have on them when they are using Pk thunder blast thing? Will they stop or go? Will the Pikmin stop the Pk Thunder like it did in their recovery?
After the PK thunder has gotten off, all that can happen is that the yellow sticks on and keeps attacking him. HOWEVER, just like on yoshi's stage with the shyguys, when lucas or ness is hit while performing their Up-b, it actually elongates the duration of the attack. So if you do this, just keep chucking pikmin at im and rolling/running away. The two most effective will be yellow (obviously) and purples (i believe they hit him hard and then get fried...).

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
In other words, the yellows (others get fried after taking one up-b) keep absorbing the Up-b from Ness, unless he takes the time to knock them off. So Ness for sure, but I believe i got lucas once with this....but i could have just been it messed with his head. I'll have to do research on that again. If one doesnt do the job, latch two on there :p

After the PK thunder has gotten off, all that can happen is that the yellow sticks on and keeps attacking him. HOWEVER, just like on yoshi's stage with the shyguys, when lucas or ness is hit while performing their Up-b, it actually elongates the duration of the attack. So if you do this, just keep chucking pikmin at im and rolling/running away. The two most effective will be yellow (obviously) and purples (i believe they hit him hard and then get fried...).
Interesting, I'll try that even though I would just wait and time a up smash. Please continue.

Waza

Smash Apprentice
Interesting, I'll try that even though I would just wait and time a up smash. Please continue.
Oh I certainly agree with using an up smash rather than trying to land a purple after ness or lucas got an up-b off in my direction. My main point was about when they are just trying to recover, and that having a yellow on hand could mean a low percent KO for you.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
Oh I certainly agree with using an up smash rather than trying to land a purple after ness or lucas got an up-b off in my direction. My main point was about when they are just trying to recover, and that having a yellow on hand could mean a low percent KO for you.
I know, I'm just lazy so that's why I said that

Waza

Smash Apprentice
So i've been doing some more research on the pikmin effect on Ness and Lucas' up-b and it seems i should clarify some of my previous ambiguity....

For Ness:
- You have to latch the pikmin onto Ness BEFORE he initiates his up-b. If he's recovering mid air, you can latch on ANY pikmin (except purple obviously :p) and it will absorb the up-b (so long as you do it before he initiates the up-b) and send ness falling without the ability to jump or use his recovery move again.

- While Ness is on the ground it is a slightly different story, but still involves latching a pikmin onto him BEFORE he initiates the up-b. Basically any pikmin besides the yellows will absorb the first up-b, but then fall off. Since he is still on the ground Ness can use the Up-b again. However, if you latch a yellow onto Ness before he initiates his up-b on the ground, it will keep absorbing the up-b until he removes it or the yellow pikmin falls off.

For Lucas:
- Lucas is a different story altogether. His up-b (as many know) can go through pikmin with ease before dissipating. However, after a certain period of time (frames) after the initiation of his up-b, the electric bolt loses its ability to go through objects, or in this case pikmin.

- so the difference here is that instead of latching on pikmin to lucas (as you would with Ness), you have to hit the electric bolt that he controls AFTER it comes out of his head. If you hit it any time during which it is still coming out of Lucas' head, it will go through the pikmin and he will recover.

- In Lucas' case, yellow pikmin have the best chance of hitting the electric bolt because of their high arc and ability to absorb/interupt electric moves, and as far as i have seen, are the only ones that can negate Lucas' electric bolt (up-b) after it comes out of his head. However, i havent tried this maneuver with other color pikmin so i am unsure if they have the same affect on lucas.

- When you hit his electric bolt with a pikmin and it negates his up-b, he will fall without being able to jump or use up-b again SO LONG AS you DONT hit Lucas after hitting his up-b electric bolt. Meaning free stock for you.

I know its long, but i think this clarifies my previous statements... :chuckle:

Waza

Smash Apprentice
Nice guide :) I already know pretty much everything though
And knowing is half the battle! :laugh: (sorry couldn't help it...)

But i've been trolling the Ness/Lucas boards, and none of their popular threads list this weakness when talking about match-ups against olimar. So use this knowledge wisely, Ness and lucas mains will learn to fear the pikmin! :chuckle:

asob4

Smash Champion
it's rare for that to work, as ness can nair before he needs to up-b and be perfectly fine
the best it can do is shorten it's range because it's hitting the pikmin

Tucker!

Smash Rookie
Good Job man, the thread looks really nice, good colors, and good info to, ive heard a few things about pikmin desyncing themselves, ive also witnessed and done pikmin desyncing on accident, like i seen a video where an olimar player did a downsmash, and his purple pikmin stayed on the side of the other player and still did hella damage and then the olimar grabbed him outta the pikmins way and it hit him again without being commanded by olimar and killed the other smasher, i couldnt believe it because no one can figure out exactly what the cause of that was, and no one has seen or done it since, and if they did they havent posted any videos

Waza

Smash Apprentice
it's rare for that to work, as ness can nair before he needs to up-b and be perfectly fine
the best it can do is shorten it's range because it's hitting the pikmin
yeah but how many times can he do the nair before needing to recover?
You have (or should have 6 pikmin) just keep chucking away....all it takes is one that he leaves on when trying to recover (cause he wont just float there...). So you get 6 chances to latch one one, and he gets one chance to recover after using nairs and then falling at the same time.

It's do-able.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Good Job man, the thread looks really nice, good colors, and good info to, ive heard a few things about pikmin desyncing themselves, ive also witnessed and done pikmin desyncing on accident, like i seen a video where an olimar player did a downsmash, and his purple pikmin stayed on the side of the other player and still did hella damage and then the olimar grabbed him outta the pikmins way and it hit him again without being commanded by olimar and killed the other smasher, i couldnt believe it because no one can figure out exactly what the cause of that was, and no one has seen or done it since, and if they did they havent posted any videos
They have. I'm too lazy to find them, but just search youtube for pikmin desync. Sadly, this wont bring you any closer to finding out how to do it, since the cause of these desyncs has yet to be determined.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments : )

yeah but how many times can he do the nair before needing to recover?
You have (or should have 6 pikmin) just keep chucking away....all it takes is one that he leaves on when trying to recover (cause he wont just float there...). So you get 6 chances to latch one one, and he gets one chance to recover after using nairs and then falling at the same time.

It's do-able.
Regardless of doability, the tactic seems easily surmountable. As asob said, Ness has n-air. He also has airdodge, can DI towards the edge, and just wait you out and nair. Also, with the precise timing and great accuracy required to gimp ness safely this way, it seems alot more sensible to me to simply spike Ness. Once you're good enough at spiking, I assure you the option is more appealing.

Actually, now that I think about it, you could use Pikmin throw to distract Ness while you position yourself above him to either eat the thunder or spike. That's the best I can come up with.

TKD

Smash Lord
Thank you for this guide. Good grammar, easy to read, and the thoughts were put in order so I felt no disorientation.

Plus it is very informative. Thank you!

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for this guide. Good grammar, easy to read, and the thoughts were put in order so I felt no disorientation.

Plus it is very informative. Thank you!
Your welcome. And thank you for appreciating the grammar. I'm a real stickler for that sort of stuff in my posts and most of the internet doesn't really care about that :/

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
http://mknightdh.webs.com/olimar.htm

The damage amounts, the approximate percentages at which the moves will finish off Mario at the bottom-center of Battlefield, and the approximate amount of purely horizontal range based on Battlefield's smaller platforms (IE Snake's forward tilt would be ~95% because it covers ALMOST the entire platform).

Please bear in mind that once that URL's purpose is obsoleted, the page is subject to becoming removed by moi.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
http://mknightdh.webs.com/olimar.htm

The damage amounts, the approximate percentages at which the moves will finish off Mario at the bottom-center of Battlefield, and the approximate amount of purely horizontal range based on Battlefield's smaller platforms (IE Snake's forward tilt would be ~95% because it covers ALMOST the entire platform).

Please bear in mind that once that URL's purpose is obsoleted, the page is subject to becoming removed by moi.
Totally using it. Don't worry, I will name the chart after you

Llumys

Smash Champion
I've noticed that a lot of Olimars (Olimarman -cough) tend to ALWAYS down throw unless you're at KO %. I wonder when he'll realize that's not the best thing to do. xD

asob4

Smash Champion
because you don't want to degrade any of your kill throws
a degraded uthrow is no bueno when you mind game and do an uthrow with a blue for the kill

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Totally using it. Don't worry, I will name the chart after you
Ah thanks.

Bear in mind that the values may be a little off, but they should give you a general idea anyway, like Olimar's Forward Smash has better mid range than the full range of Snake's Forward Tilt (including the disjoint). Kill percentages assume Mario at the lower center of Battlefield. And anything in parentheses is for the attack at maximum charge up.

I'll copy down the HTML in case I need it again for some reason and then the page will have outlived its usefulness.

Yio

Smash Rookie
Really, really useful. I'll definitely use this information to build up some tactics, thanks for that.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
question.

do yellow pikmin go through or absorb samus charge shot?

do reds go through or absorb her Fair?

cause a player here in texas did a fair with a red pikman and it went through my fair white the white one was burned to hell

Sudai

Stuff here
Red pikmin are immune to fire attacks.
Blue pikmin are immune to water attacks. (lol squirtle)
Yellow pikmin are immune to electric type attacks.

Samus' charge shot counts as electric, along with Falco's lasers. Yellow pikmin on your face = no neutral-B.

Fino

Smash Master
All pikmin will stop samus' charge shot, the yellows won't suffer HP damage.
There are specific latch zones on samus that will block the charge shot....

Only red pikmin will survive through a fair.

~Fino

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
Red pikmin are immune to fire attacks.
Blue pikmin are immune to water attacks. (lol squirtle)
Yellow pikmin are immune to electric type attacks.

Samus' charge shot counts as electric, along with Falco's lasers. Yellow pikmin on your face = no neutral-B.
Silly Sudai =P You forgot to mention Mario's FLUUD....er FLLUD >_>(I don't know how its spelled and I played Super Mario Sunshine T_T).

Dyyne

Smash Ace
question.

do yellow pikmin go through or absorb samus charge shot?

do reds go through or absorb her Fair?

cause a player here in texas did a fair with a red pikman and it went through my fair white the white one was burned to hell
Yellows absorb, but any can take the hit. If the pikmin is latched, like Fino said, it has to be on a specific spot to take the hit.

Absorb the fair? It doesn't make its hitbox disappear, if that's what you mean. The reds are just resistant to the fire damage, so they can move through it as if there was nothing there. Other pikmin would just be hit/killed by your fair, however. A latched pikmin does nothing to stop the fair.

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
Hilt's chart should def. be in here, that was really helpful to me and others for which stage to pick against which character for a certain Pikmin type, like Yellow against Marth, some Olis pick Frigate.

Hi-C

Smash Rookie
Hey I was wondering this for a while and since I'm too busy spazzing in a match, I've been unable to really pay attention.

For Oli's tether, does the pikmin next in line go for the tip or is it the pikmin last in line?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
am i the only one that thinks that hilts pluck chart should be in this aswell, like a link to it since it was unstickied.
Hilt's chart should def. be in here, that was really helpful to me and others for which stage to pick against which character for a certain Pikmin type, like Yellow against Marth, some Olis pick Frigate.
Hilt should make a spite thread entitled "Everything You Want to Know About Pikmin"

~Fino
^.^

I don't wanna steal Kyas' thunder, (or take his sticky lol) but I do plan to make a thread with all of the things I've researched in it. Things like the pluck chart, ghost pikmin, desync's/rockets, as well as frame data for various other technical things.

To be honest, most of the things covered in this thread would be covered in a regular guide (which we have three of, stickied, if you include this one). Most of the things in here are pretty basic and dont get into olimar on a technical basis too much, save for the very last two parts of the thread on ghost pikmin and desyncs. However, the thread doesnt explain how they work, because nobody really knows the specifics. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

To me this seems just like another guide >.> Which is fine, because guide's are definitely important for the community. But having three guides all stickied at once doesnt have much of a point.

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
^.^

I don't wanna steal Kyas' thunder, (or take his sticky lol) but I do plan to make a thread with all of the things I've researched in it. Things like the pluck chart, ghost pikmin, desync's/rockets, as well as frame data for various other technical things.

To be honest, most of the things covered in this thread would be covered in a regular guide (which we have three of, stickied, if you include this one). Most of the things in here are pretty basic and dont get into olimar on a technical basis too much, save for the very last two parts of the thread on ghost pikmin and desyncs. However, the thread doesnt explain how they work, because nobody really knows the specifics. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

To me this seems just like another guide >.> Which is fine, because guide's are definitely important for the community. But having three guides all stickied at once doesnt have much of a point.
Or you could put links to your and other important threads in your sig, I've seen only a few users do this though but nonetheless its helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom