• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Etrian Odyssey (all games and any future games)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm usually pretty tolerant of older games...I'm enjoying EO1 just as much as EO4 even if I miss some of the things. But then it's just like "oh can't do that anymore oh well"
The thing is I'm generally am to.

The biggest qualm I have with EO3 and finishing is how unorganized it feels. I know I've played older games that don't seem anywhere near as unorganized. It's just so cluttered and clustered. And it really makes me want to play a game less when menu screens seem like such a chore to navigate. :/

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ok this thread has gone long enough without posts so I'm bumping it. :L

I decided to restart EO3 and created a party of;

Prince Princess Hoplite

Arbalist Arbalist

I eventually plan to retire the Prince or Princess into a Monk and subclass it into a Prince/Princess while the other one I plan to retire into a Shogun when I unlock it and subclass it into a Prince/Princess, the Hoplite will get subclassed into a Ninja, one of the Arbalists will be subclassed into a Gladiator while the other into a Bucaneer. So far this team has been performing 100 times better then my original party of P H B(front) Z Z(back) and I was able to take out Narmer on my first.

I'm still trudging through Story Mode on EOU, mostly because I'm getting side tracked by quests, more specifically the quest to defeat Alraune (despite taking All Mist and cut resist charms I still can't beat her as the attacks end up doing over a 100 damage despite the preparations I took for them) and now I also have the quest to fight Manticore. I was able to defeat Golem easily enough however. At this point I'm tempted to just barrel through the rest of Story Mode, main game, and just move onto classic and deal with optional bosses then. On the note of classic mode, those who have played Classic Mode what do you guys think about the Survivalist? Could it possibly be a primary healer? I'm mostly just looking to do thing a tad bit differently from what I usually like to do. Or what about the Protector being the primary healer and placing it in the back?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Shogun was imba in EO3, lol.

Ad Nihilo was also an amazing skill in EO3, I'd personally consider simply keeping your Princess because of how fantastical they were.

(I haven't played EOU but

you get to fight Alraune again in EO3. Have fun!
)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Shogun was imba in EO3, lol.

Ad Nihilo was also an amazing skill in EO3, I'd personally consider simply keeping your Princess because of how fantastical they were.

(I haven't played EOU but

you get to fight Alraune again in EO3. Have fun!
)
Eh M/P is better then a P/M because M/P has better healing thanks to it's class skill. A M/P is still built as if it were a Prince/Princess.

Aside from early game where the passives of the Prince/Princess are a life saver (why I have 2 currently) the class is generally better regulated to being subbed rather than main. Anything the Prince main can do can be accomplished via sub.

I've also changed my party plan a lot for when I unlock Shogun.

I plan on going

A/G S/G H/N or P

M/P N/Z

A/G has suck TP pool, so N/Z is there solely as a TP battery. M/P will be doing the healing and buffs. A/G will be abusing Front Motar while S/G will be focused around 5 Ring Sword. H will be a wall and keep my A and S alive since one is giant of a glass canon while the other is pretty squishy due to the armor it is limited to.

Once I get set-up I expect this party to do rather well.

After this play trhough I'll be going for the Yggdroid next, and will probably try to use the Yggdroid as well.

Then I will speed through those 2 paths till I get enough of the ultimate accessory found in each path. Then for true ending path, which will also be the path I will attempt post game and try to use a fully optimized team.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So I feel like this thread needs another bump, as I don't want it to die.

So bumpity bumpers bump.

:L

Last edited:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've been grinding SMT4 lately. It's a bit less demoralizing than exploring 6th Stratum in EOU.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
SO

TODAY I LEARNED

that you can exchange guild cards via QR code.

Here's mine:

Now share yours!

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
The teaser looks very similar to EO2.

Though all we really have to go off of is that EO2 was the only game where you climbed up the tree. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if this is an EO2U.

I would like it to be a new game though, but eh, getting a remastered Cherry Tree Bridge would not be a bad thing. I hope they get rid of grimoires in favor of good old subclassing, and get rid of floor jumping.

And this would mean an EO3 remake is possible, I'm okay with that.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I would rather EO2 and EO3 get remastered first. I don't have EO2, so it getting an Untold version would be awesome for me since I would get to play it with the convenience that TMG and EO4 had. And though I do have EO3 I haven't really played it all that much, well I never really got far in it as I seem to constantly restart my playthrough with the game, mainly because I started with EO4 and am thuse spoiled by the convenient features it had that EOU fine-tuned.

I don't really care if Grimoires stay, as long as they are reworked. Like not be based so much on the RNG. I thought they were a nice idea, just executed very poorly.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump.

I don't want to let this thread go on a hiatus again, so c'mon people. Let's discuss something. What can the new game be? What do you want it to be? What is your fave class for each game? What are the best classes for each game?

>_>

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I don't really care if Grimoires stay, as long as they are reworked. Like not be based so much on the RNG. I thought they were a nice idea, just executed very poorly.
I agree that it's mostly just a poorly executed mechanic, however I also think that subclasses fit the series far better. I like having to plan my skill points out instead of getting seven free skills. The only real loss from not having Grimoires is that we can't get enemy skills, but that doesn't really matter to me as long as the classes are interesting.

What are the best classes for each game?
EOI: I haven't played the original, but I know how good Immunize is. It's gotta be the Medic.
EOII: Hexer easily. Revenge is amazing in this game and the status effects take care random enemies quickly. I'd probably call it the strongest class in the series, when looking at how well a class can handle the game it is in.
EOIII: Shogun. You need the right setup though if you want to see their absurd damage.

EOIV, I'm not sure. I imagine the Imperialist has a good chance at being the best, but I never messed with it. My Landsknecht was able to take care of everything the game threw at me(I did not fight the post-game final boss without chemicals though.)

EOU, I'm still playing through.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Grimoires also allowed you to get multiple skills from the same class as well, which was a blessing for the Survivalist, because of having a second Efficent skill to make it more powerful, and the Hexer, due to the amount of strain it's skill points would have so being able to make the Hexer able to do more was great. Subclassing is awesome as well. I would like to see both implemented actually, have Grimoires limited to enemy and same class skills and have subclassing stay the same.

Untold has a few candidates, Troubadour very very good with healing when using one of the maid's drinks, the last one she makes I think, and Echoing Rondo if none of your party members were killed in that turn then they were almost guaranteed to be back at full health during the next turn lol. Hexer is very possible as well, binding, statuses, buffs, debuffs, and if you can get some magical attack on one they can do some big raw damage.

I actually think the Fortress might be the best class in IV. It is a very absurd wall xD.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Gunner is easily the best class in Untold. Between having a very powerful piercing weapon, excellent attack passives, a great physical burst in combining Action Boost with Ricochet, having Binds, having Elemental attacks, and being able to simultaneously heal AND remove status ailments, Gunner is pretty much good at anything you'd need to fill out a team with in addition to contributing heavily in the damage area.

Finally beat the lightning dragon, so now I get to run the grind to Lv80, Rest, repeat, and hopefully either get farther in 6th Stratum or take down the ice dragon next.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I still think Hexer is the best one myself, though the Gunner is great.

Anyways.

I'm gonna do another run through IV and I know what party goal I want to go for, I/B F/B I/B in the front and a M/A in the back (unsure on the last character, Sniper sounds like a good idea for Eagle Eye to stack with the M/A's Star Drop and Atrophic Eye, not sure). The thing is, I can't decide what I want to use before that. So I figured I would ask you guys to tell me a party to use, something fun with good synergy, until I get the Imperial class. I'll go with the one I like best.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
After quite a bit of trouble, I've defeated the fourth stratum boss. I got pretty mad at this thing, because each time I challenged it I fought the four FOEs up north first, wasting a lot of time and exp whenever the boss killed me. I'm pretty sure I could have won how I started plus some volt resisting equipment, but I ended grinding a little to get my Protector's Volt Wall to level 5 because I wanted to get it over with.

However, once I mapped out the floor I realized I could probably kill some FOEs, save, then sneak up on the boss. The FOEs respawned whenever the boss noticed me, I wonder if it would still happen if I ambushed it. If not, then there were some corners I could have probably used so FOEs couldn't join when fighting the boss.

The fifth stratum is pretty cool, probably would have been a cool surprise if I played EOI first and had I not already known what it was going to be. It's funny, I know this series isn't about the story, but EOI takes a really long time to get started, Atlus has improved that as the games went on.
I'm gonna do another run through IV and I know what party goal I want to go for, I/B F/B I/B in the front and a M/A in the back (unsure on the last character, Sniper sounds like a good idea for Eagle Eye to stack with the M/A's Star Drop and Atrophic Eye, not sure). The thing is, I can't decide what I want to use before that. So I figured I would ask you guys to tell me a party to use, something fun with good synergy, until I get the Imperial class. I'll go with the one I like best.
So you need two temp classes. Well a Landsknecht and a Dancer will work. You'll have something similar to my team(assuming you take that Sniper), unfortunately that team starts to shine in the mid to late game where you can really take advantage of the L's links.

I didn't experiment with EOIV's classes too much, so that's the best I can offer. You could do something silly like three Fortresses instead.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Yea, the idea is to gets pass the FOEs for the 4th stratum to ambush the boss, the best place to do it is at the orcs (forgot what they are called) as if you can get pass them unnoticed there will be a little nook that you can use to ambush the boss. Requires trial and error though.

Oh man. Three Forts. Ultimate wall team ever. Probably wouldn't be able to kill anything though lol. Still sounds like tons of fun.

Anyone else have any ideas? @ Zankoku Zankoku @ ndayday ndayday @ Ussi Ussi @Sunnysunny @Nautilus @TimeSmash @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer

......Yea I just tagged everyone who has posted in this thread to try and revive. Come back to life my EO thread!

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I might try playing EO4 again, (only one I own). TBH I stopped after beating the game, didn't feel like doing the post game stuff. I'll probably try a more heavy offense team this time around instead of a defensive one. Had a medic and arcanist with a fortress as well, put all the damage on my mage. my Sniper was just there to debuff to make my mage do more damage.

The latest tease has my interest.. I don't really feel like buying untold.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
~

I've been playing Mario Kart 8.

I have untold and I finished the story mode. I think I'm 3rd stratum in on expert.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I've been meaning to do a re-run of EOU as well for classic mode, but I've gotten distracted. And now I wanna do EO4 again first. I will definitely play through classic mode on EOU after I finish through EO4's story and post game.

Though not sure what I want to go with when I get to it. Will probably do some like 2x Ronin and Protector in the front and Survivalist or Troubadour and Hexer in the back or Roning and Protector in the front with Gunner or Alchemist, Survivalist or Troubadour, and Hexer in the back. Eh. I'll figure it out when I actually get there. Wanna go through EO4 again first still.

Using 3x Forts in the front for early game, until I get Imperial, sounds really fun. Wanna hear a couple other things before I decide though.

Also I'm torn now for EO4. Should I stick with F/B for the party I have planned, or should I got B/F instead. Both are good, but for different things. I feel like with a double Imperial party I won't need as much of a tank since they are pretty bulky, and a Bushi can be pretty freaking tanky as well. B/F would have better damage output, but F/B would have better TP output and would still live longer. Gah. It's a tough choice.

Last edited:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I finished the main game of EOU. I decided to power through the fifth stratum.
The final boss was easy. I'm pretty sure I was over-leveled, even though I had stalker up for most of the fifth stratum. I was also using the item duplication bug, but I don't really feel bad about that, the requests from my guild house gave me countless somaprimes anyways and I also had more than enough amrita IIs from quests and treasure. I don't think that really made a difference. :/

So, nothing in EOU was really a surprise for me. While I did not play EOI, I did look up a lot about it. That's somewhat disappointing, but oh well.

I enjoyed it a lot, but it's probably me least favorite EO game. I've made it known that I feel the classes are a bit of a step back after III and IV(somewhat understandable given it's a remake) and that I would have preferred subclassing over grimoires. I also found the labyrinth not as interesting as the other games. The first four stratums are dull visually imo, and the floor layouts for all five tended to not stand out to me. I had an issue with the floor jump as well, but that is mainly because you can jump to several spots that will completely heal you.

That said, stratum five and six are some of the best stratums EO has had visually imo. I also think the soundtrack(both FM and remastered) is pretty great overall. The improvements to movement and combat speed were greatly welcomed as well. I also started to appreciate the classes a little once I turned my medic into a monster whose damage was surpassed only by my Ronin.

Now the real fun is about to start. I have the sixth stratum ready for me to explore in both EOU and EOII.
I also may want to run through story mode now that NG+ is available so I can get exclusive classes and items. That shouldn't take too long if I have my end game equipment.

Last edited:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Keep in mind that if you play Story Mode, you're locked into a specific five-man party and can't experiment with your new classes. You gain access to Gladsheim, but it's not that much cooler of a new set of floors that I'd give up party customization.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Yeah, I don't want to lose the customization. I guess I'll just continue with the sixth stratum and if I ever want to fill out my Guild Card, I'll run through story then.

I think I'm going to go back and finish EOII's post-game first though.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You can take any characters you created in classic into story mode and speed run it to get exclusive things, like the ultimate Katana (which you can only get through story mode) and then do NG+ again for classic mode again.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Made a quick chart of base stats for all classes at LV70. Mostly to help me make decisions regarding Class Change over Retire.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I was wondering if the Gunner was still really slow. They look like they might be faster, compared to my LV60 one in EOII.
Though guns were really slow weapons in that game, I don't know how much that has changed.

Class changing looks like fun for maximizing the effectiveness of certain builds. Admittedly, I've never bothered with retiring in any EO because I've yet to run into a challenge where I felt the bonuses were needed.

Still interesting to see. I wonder if a Alchemist would make a better Echoing Rondo Troubadour(also, I wonder if a Heal Mastery grimoire will boost healing for that, if so then I probably want that for the sixth stratum). The Landschnekt or Gunner might make a good Caduceus Medic, I thought about the Ronin, but I'm assuming LUC is factored into the stun chance, which is something I'd want. That also assumes STR is all that matters for Caduceus's damage.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'll answer what I can regarding the game engine...
AILMENTS: In EOU, LUC just has minor effects all around, while status ailments are largely calculated by TEC.
CADUCEUS: From the wiki, Caduceus damage is TEC-based, but is physical so ATK UP skills will boost it and it is not affected by Formula Mastery.
ECHOING RONDO: The amount a given character is healed by Echoing Rondo is, strangely enough, calculated based on that character's TEC and Healing Mastery, rather than the original caster of the song.

Also, one of the important things about Class Change is that it's impossible to Retire for a Gunner or Highlander, but once you've cleared Story Mode you can Class Change into one. Ricky as the only natural Gunner has a good balance onf STR/TEC/LUC/TP, but as a result she's got lower overall survivability and speed than a Dark Hunter. Right now I'm trying to figure out whether I'd rather use Ricky or my former Dark Hunter in the Gunner slot.

Currently trying to figure out some sort of synergy that can fully abuse Ronin's Perfect Chaser, which at Lv10 deals roughly the same damage per hit as a Lv10 Swallow Strike but can get an element added to it through Troubadour's Preludes - so I'd be getting a lot more effectiveness on elemental weaknesses than I could with normal Swallow Strikes or Charging Slashes.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Well that's not how I expected Caduceus to work. In that case the Alchemist would be the best when talking about damage, but since it wants to be in the front row the Medic is probably the best given its defenses.
That explains Echoing Rondo, I've wondered why everyone was healed differently. Seems so obvious now.

Perfect Chaser sounds interesting, does it activate for every hit of a multi-hitting skill or not. If so then several characters with Swallow Strike or some kind or multi-hitting enemy grimoire is the first thing I can think of. Maybe it's possible to get a long chain going with one of the Lanschnekt's chaser attacks.

I just looked it up in game, it says it follows up normal attacks. If that's the case then the Lanschnekt's Double Strike sounds like the best bet.

That's something I would mess with right now if I wasn't playing through EOII at the moment.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Doing a NG* through 4. Mainly so I can start with a bushi, imperialist and arcanist. Using a mage and landschekt-whatever as well. Dunno what i'll make their subs, but I don't care about optimal stuff I am doing whatever.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
These games are $15 on 3DS eshop right now, that's a ****ing steal.

I'm still playing through EO1 (DS) and just got BF8 and the Wyvern, I'll continue later tonight. Land/Protector/Night/Alchemist/Medic

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't think you're actually supposed to fight the Wyvern the first time you see it. Unless you're feeling suicidal.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Playing through EOII, I've realized something...

The sixth Strata is Sector E. The peaceful garden/forest, the calm music, the teleport mazes, it's all there. I know SMT: Strange Journey had some of the same people working on it, so I guess it isn't too surprising really.

Sector E was far more soul crushing though, can't leave notes for where the warps go, no Hexer and no absurdly powerful Stalker so I could never worry about random encounters, I'm disappointed at how easy the sixth strata has been.
I really like having notes for warps though.

Anyways, I'm just about ready to fight all the post game bosses, then I'll go back to EOU.

ndayday

BRoomer
I don't think you're actually supposed to fight the Wyvern the first time you see it. Unless you're feeling suicidal.
I tried fighting it and figured this out, lol. When I saw attacks were doing like 13 damage I thought maybe it was just weak to magic but nope. Run.

I find the quest asking you to stay 5 days in BF8 weird. Is it encouraging you to grind? I mean you get a spring that heals HP and TP an unlimited amount.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I find the quest asking you to stay 5 days in BF8 weird. Is it encouraging you to grind? I mean you get a spring that heals HP and TP an unlimited amount.
Or you could just walk around in that small area in the Wyvern's den where monsters don't appear and where the Wyvern won't bug you.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's got a cute bit of plot in story mode, but otherwise it's just a time sink quest, yeah. Decide whether you feel like grinding battles or just burning the time off.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
A reminder, folks, the E-shop discounts for E.O. IV and the newest iteration end in two days!

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
An EOII remake has been confirmed. It will be out later this year in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmnxfgXsZHc

I'm looking forward to what they do differently from EOU, as well as what they change from EOII.
Please make FOEs give EXP. I probably have nothing to worry about, EOU made quests give EXP after all.
I may actually give story mode a chance in this one. While it probably will not be anything special, it doesn't look as dull as EOU's did. That, and I've already played the original.

ndayday

BRoomer
It's got a cute bit of plot in story mode, but otherwise it's just a time sink quest, yeah. Decide whether you feel like grinding battles or just burning the time off.
I ended up grinding which was actually kind of nice since I reset my skill points later on.

I'm at the 4th stratum now, B18F or something? 3rd was kind of hard, I would kill the ant boss but then get barely destroyed by the Bloodants and the Deathants they call. The actual stratum boss was e z

EO2 remake is interesting and I'll get it but it might be a while before I get around to it. sticking to my plan of playing them in order of release, even with the remakes out.

Top Bottom