• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Etrian Odyssey (all games and any future games)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Alright so I couldn't find any thread labled Etrian Odyssey and only about EO aside from one, but it was created back in 2009 and wasn't even in the game zone, but if there is already a current thread about this game series I appologize.

There are currently 4 games in the series, Etrian Odyssey, Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Laaard, Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City, and Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan with a new game underway called Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Mellenium Girl.

[collapse="boxart"][/collapse]

EO is a first person JRPG (think Shin Megami Tensei) with a whol lotta customazation and is know for it's brutal difficulty, even the 4th entry which is considered the easiest among the hardcore fans of the series would end up being tough for a casual or someone who doesn't know anything about the past games but that is presuming they are playing on normal mode instead of the new casual mode EO4 offers. Each game offers a variety of classes for when you create your characters which makes party synergy important, as if you don't have proper part synergy the game will punish you greatly.

The new game is actually a revamp of the first entry of the game offering a whole new mode that shows a different side of EO, the story mode (don't worry hardcore fans classic mode will still be there). That is right EO games aren't the biggest when it comes to the story and I have heard that story mode isn't actually that big step up from Classic mode, this is coming from people who have played the Japanese game already and so I think they are trustworthy, however Story mode will be required to play through if you want to unlock some of the classes. This game also adds 2 new difficulties, Picnic mode and Expert mode, but don't get your hopes up as in reality Normal mode is a easier version of the actualy normal standard of past EO games and picnic mode is a even easier mode which means expert mode is your usual EO experience, again according to people have already played the Japanese version of the game. Regardless I am looking foward to the game as it will be easier to get then to hunt down a copy of the original EO game.

Unfourtantly I am still rather new to the series with my first EO game being EO4, and starting off on casual mode, though after I defeated casual mode I went to normal difficulty, though I am still working on normal difficulty due to other games getting in the way. I have also recently gotten EO3 and I am more then halfway through the 2nd Stratum (I've probably had the game for about a month but when it comes to the EO games I play slower and like to fiddle around quite a bit which is why I am not further into the game lol). But I am absolutly loving the game series and am hoping to get all of the games sometime or another.

Feel free to discuss the games, ask questions if you need help one one of the games, post teams you have, or anything else related to EO. :)

EDIT - So it looks like Atlus is teasing a new game, and the teaser seems to hint at a new EO game. We can only hope!

Source - http://sq-atlus.jp/, http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/0...dyssey-game-shouldnt-be-confused-as-broccoli/

EDIT 2 - So as it turns out, it is indeed going to be a remake of EO2. Atlus, very recently, released this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmnxfgXsZHc (thanks to @ Rutger Rutger for telling me about it). However it is in Japanese and we don't know what details there might be to it.

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
eo is the ****. however this topic is more appropriate foe the light house (where video games are discussed) as opposed to here (where strategic/tactical/psychological games are played)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I hope this isn't horrible but I moved this topic to the Light House for you as I want to comment!

I got EO4 as my first entry too and liked it a lot and bought the previous 3 games (reprints so I wasn't paying absurd amounts). I actually still have to beat EO4 but will then play the games in reverse I think. Definitely plan on getting Millennium Girl.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Oh wow thanks, I was jsut fixing to repost this here myself but you saved me the trouble, Greatly appreciated.

And yea I still need to get EO1 nad EO2 myself, but I might not end up getting the original EO1 due to the revamp coming out, and being easier to get. How far are you in EO4? And if I may be so bold what is the team you are using? o.o

ndayday

BRoomer
I'm a little ways into the Cloudy Stronghold, so I don't think I have much left in terms of the main game?
I'm using Dancer/Fort/Night/Sniper/Rune, named Porkshank, Junebug, Woodsmoke, Buckshot, and Silo respectively. I hardly ever really know what build or w/e I'm going for. I subclassed Fort as dancer and I think Night as arcanist, and I can't remember the rest.
how about you?

also might be the best. The music in this game (and probably series) is really good.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Interesting party, but that lack of a healer... I'm surprised you made it so far. And you are over halfway, but there a still quite a bit left main game wise. As for my team, well I have 2. Lemme go over my first one;

Nightseeker/Arcanist, Fortress/Dancer, Dancer/Nightseeker
Arcanist/Medic, Runermaster/Bushi

Also incase you don't get what I mean it is like this main clase/sub class.

As for my second team...

I have a Bushi/Fortress, Landsknecht/Runemaster, Imperial (waiting to unlock Bushi for subclass, as this is my team on my second playthrough to play on classic mode, and no using the Bushi and Imperial have not broke the game for me. lol), Arcanist/Medic, and Runemaster (waiting for Bushi to sub).

First teams was pretty much a well rounded team to be able to handle multiple situations. My second team is going for elemental damage as all of my characters in that team, aside from the Arcanist, have access to all forms of elemental attacks. My next team will probably end up being a team of 3 Bushis (still working on subs) in the front row and a Arcanist/Medic and Medic/Land or Fort/Medic.

And because I feel like it my EO3 team.

Prince, Hoplite, Bucaneer
Zodiac, Zodiac

Have yet to unlock subclassing but I am going to go for Prince/Monk, Hoplite/Prince, Bucaneer/Gladiator, and no ideas on the Zodiacs yet. lol

ndayday

BRoomer
I remembered that I have dancer sub classed as Medic, so that's my healer. That and fort which just kind of soaks up the damage.
Now I want to play it, ha. I guess I have my night cut out for me.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Your team is pretty solid, I'm guessing your Sniper is the character you rely on for binds? You should considers swapping it our for a Arcanist for binds instead as they land it much much better and dat passive healing and they are very good healers if subbed as a medic. And please tell me your NS/A skill tree is something along the lines of this;

Venom Throw maxed
Auto-Spead Throw maxed
That skill that allows you to regain TP when you inflict status elements/bind maxed
And the skill that increases your chance of inflicting status aliments/binds maxed

If you have that kind of set-up for your NS/A you will not have a problem with regular enemies in a dugeon. Also note, Auto-Spread Throw actually gives you 2 Spread Throws, though you probably won't need it as a NS' posion aliment will deal over 700 damage. lol

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I've been a big fan of this series ever since I picked up the third game on a whim. I now have all but the first game.

The third game is one of the few games I have bothered to 100%. I'm getting close in the fourth game, but SMT IV just came out so it will be a while longer.

My team for IV is:
Landsknecht/Runemaster, Fortress/Dancer, Dancer/Nightseeker
Sniper/Nightseeker, Arcanist/Medic
It has served me very well, I have had little trouble until now, and all I really have left are the dragons and the post-game final boss.

As for difficulty, IV is probably the easiest since it's hard to screw up your party/skills. That said, I probably had the easiest time with the second game(though I have not done anything with its post game,) because I used a team very similar to the most commonly suggested one and the Hexer breaks that game. I used whatever I felt like using in the other games for the most part(I switched over to a Warriors Might team for the postgame in III), so I ended up running into more trouble, even though the second game should have been the hardest.

I don't know what my favorite would be, IV has the best gameplay imo and the airship is much better than III's sailing, but III has my favorite labyrinths and music. :/
Though I really like Yuzo Koshiro's music throughout the series.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Yea IV is considered the most balanced wise among the different classes with all them being viable choices, it is also the most forgiving if you do end up messing up your skills as when you rest you only lose one level compared to 5 for III or 10 for I and II (I believe II resets you 10 levels, correct me if I'm wrong), and is considered the easiest by amny hard-core fans. Also some tips for the dragons, first off fight the red dragon and blue dragon first, each dragon is composed of a different element and they each have this devestating breath attack of that element so make sure to have those accessories that prevent those elements and to eat the right food that helps further reduce them, and finally the yellow dragon is the hardest of the bunch as it will inflict your whol party into the panic element on top of having the elemental breath so it is anoying as all hell. That was all I did post-game wise for IV before starting a new game on classic mode. lol

Also something funny happened to me in III I got to the boss of the second stratum and was pretty much full of HP but low on TP for my Zodiacs and not the highest on provisions, but I give my Zodiacs some Anritas anyway and decide to risk it. I got the giant friggen whale down to red HP, meaning it was close to dead, but then got killed due to it's stupid move to make my whole party fall asleep and thus being able to hit every character with his most powerful move, I was to stupid to not use my Prince's Prevent order skill. ._. But still I was surpised at how easy it was compred to Narmer and will probably get it the second time around. lol

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
This game taught me how to draw maps

It was my first time playing an actual dungeon crawler.. But turn based RPG isn't really that hard. I think i ended up being overleveled in the later half..
My team was in the beginning:

LK-FT
M-RM-S

Then i got an Arcanist so my team was after that:

LK-FT
M-RM-A

Then i wanted more damage so i went with: ( / indicating a sub class)

M/FT-FT
S/B-RM-A

Eventually my end game that i finished the rest of the game was:

M/FT-FT/? (Forgot)
S/B-RM/I-A/RM

I pretty much went with the guys i made in the beginning. I never bothered with the end game content though.. Didn't feel like grinding to 70 to fight the dragons.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Grinding is easy in EO4, do auto walk in a dugeon out of the paths of FOEs in a place where you feel like your team can take out enemies with jsut regular attacks. Find a way to get the A button constantly pushed down, I used a heavy pencial sharpener, and leave the game alone for a good while. And presto your party will be leveled up withot you having to sit through hours of doing it yourself. Unfourtantly this technique only works for EO4 as it is the only game thus far if A is held down long enough it will discard items gotten from monsters when your pack gets full. You should definatly try doing that if you don't want to go to the trouble of grinding yourself.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
You shouldn't need to grind. I didn't need max level for the post game stuff in EOIII.

You will gain some good levels if you just go through the sixth maze, and you should be close enough to 70 when you reach the last floor.

it is also the most forgiving if you do end up messing up your skills as when you rest you only lose one level compared to 5 for III or 10 for I and II (I believe II resets you 10 levels, correct me if I'm wrong)
I believe it is two levels in IV, five levels in II and III, and ten in the first game.

also might be the best. The music in this game (and probably series) is really good.
That track is actually a remix of a track from the third game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEsgRhIhHf8

The older games were synthisized to go with the old school approach to these games. While I really like what has been done in IV, I'm glad to see that the EO1 remake has an option for the remixes or the classic tracks, and I would love to see that happen with future games.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You shouldn't need to grind. I didn't need max level for the post game stuff in EOIII.

You will gain some good levels if you just go through the sixth maze, and you should be close enough to 70 when you reach the last floor.

I believe it is two levels in IV, five levels in II and III, and ten in the first game.
It is 3 levels for IV actually, I wasn't think when I said 1 level. lol

Also I should have noted that main game wise IV is considered the eisest, however post game it is actually much tougher and is said by many that you need to be at least level 70 when tackling the first 3 dragons. And if you want to tackle a non-chemicaled War Saviour (the final boss) you have to be level 99 if you hope to survive that battle. lol Cause the dragons in IV are actually tougher then dragons in the past games because they have other deadly attacks aside from their breath attacks, and a no chemical Warp Saviour is considered the hardest post game boss of all EO games.[/quote]

ndayday

BRoomer
That track is actually a remix of a track from the third game.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEsgRhIhHf8The older games were synthisized to go with the old school approach to these games. While I really like what has been done in IV, I'm glad to see that the EO1 remake has an option for the remixes or the classic tracks, and I would love to see that happen with future games.
Yup, but we were on EO4 so I just linked a good song from that. The EO3 version is way better imho

and yes mimgrim, I do have something close to that! That extra damage on ailments is just great.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Eeeeek thread is already slowing down after a small burst of speed. Why aren't there more EO fans!? D:<

Anyway to try and keep this thread alive what are your faviourte classes from each of the games? And your faviourte class over-all?

For EO IV I have a paticular fondness for the Bushi, Imperial, and Nightseeker. For EO III I don't have all the classes unlocked yet but Prince and Bucaneer seem like my fave classes so far, might change when I unlock the other classes though. Over-all it becomes a tie between the Bushi and Prince for me.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
EO IV is the only one i played sooo... my favorite is: Rune Master

Simply cause my Rune Master carried me throughout the game with her damage. That and I like lightning.

After that I guess Arcanist cause this game is really well done with making status effects useful to inflict on enemies other than bosses. Max poison circle to dismiss blast made quick work on mobs.

I never used the bushi or imperialist cause I didn't feel like making new units and changing my team. I figured my team was fine that way it was.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
EO IV is the only one i played sooo... my favorite is: Rune Master

Simply cause my Rune Master carried me throughout the game with her damage. That and I like lightning.

After that I guess Arcanist cause this game is really well done with making status effects useful to inflict on enemies other than bosses. Max poison circle to dismiss blast made quick work on mobs.

I never used the bushi or imperialist cause I didn't feel like making new units and changing my team. I figured my team was fine that way it was.
Eeeeeek Arcanist as a status inflicter. If you want to inflict massive poison damage go NS with max Venom Throw, when they poison a enemy the poison will inflict 700+ damage per turn, far more then what the Arcanist can do. The main focus of an arcanist should be 2 things, Binds and healing. Bind are very important in this game as many bosses rely on either their arms or head for deadly attacks, so binding them is important. If you want to invest in a status aliment though you can't go wrong with Chaos Circle as it forces every enemy to use regular attacks and possibly attack themselves. But really with an Arcanist Binds and Healing is much more important, espically since for the most part the NS does status aliment inflicting much better then the Arcanist.

Also why not have multiple teams? lol

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm a 1 team person. This carries through with all games I play unless characters gain levels in the background as well then I don't care about switching it up.

NS does single target poison though right? I used arcanist poison to sweep a group of mobs. Otherwise I had her try to bind head/arm while my sniper binds leg/arm for bosses. I also had the passive healing circle, and some points in dismiss heal, but I had a medic for my main healing.

I don't like how nightseekers look anyways.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm a 1 team person. This carries through with all games I play unless characters gain levels in the background as well then I don't care about switching it up.

NS does single target poison though right? I used arcanist poison to sweep a group of mobs. Otherwise I had her try to bind head/arm while my sniper binds leg/arm for bosses. I also had the passive healing circle, and some points in dismiss heal, but I had a medic for my main healing.

I don't like how nightseekers look anyways.
NS has access to skills called Spreead Throw and Auto-Spread Throw, Spread Throw allows you to target all enemies and Auto-Spread Throw will trigger it at the begining of the battle without it costing you TP and will give you 2 spread throws instead of one. Makes NS sweep a group of mobs even better then the Arcanist. Also an Arcanist can becom your main healer by subbing it as a Medic, which works very very well meaning you could have gone for different class. But whatever floats your boat.

In EO3 every class shares a common skill that allows them to gain a small portion of EXP from your current party, very helpful since a team of farmers for gathering resources is needed so you can make money and you need you need to give them certain points in skill to make dungeon crawling safe for your team.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I still don't like how nightseekers look anyways. I can't use units i don't like looking at. I like having 2 healers cause then i can at least heal when 1 goes down due to something unfortunate. I focus all my damage on my runemaster + sniper

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I picked up Etrian Odyssey Untold, guess I don't have enough dungeon crawlers yet. I haven't started yet, I think I'll go with Classic though.

This coming out so close to Pokemon is a little unfortunate. :/

ndayday

BRoomer
Me too, waiting for it in the mail. I already know what my team names are going to based on which is strange.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Etrain Odyssey Untold will be my first of the series. I heard terrors about how hard Etrian Odyssey is. I hope I won't suck at normal mode.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I heard Etrian Odyssey Untold was actually easier then the game it is a "remake" of the first one. In fact from people who have played the Japanese version have said Picnic Mode is a cake walk, Normal Mode is just a slightly harder version of Picnic Mode and Hard Mode is the "normal" difficulty of the game. So yea Normal Mode on the game shouldn't be to much of a pain. Etrian Odyssey IV is also one of the easier EO games to.

I would have gotten EOU the day it came out myself if I had preordered it but I ended up preordering Pokemon X instead. I'll probably try to get this game at Christmas time.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah Normal Mode isn't that bad, and Picnic sounds downright Mystic Quest level in difficulty.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Alright, made it down to the second stratum.

I love how fast everything is in this game. I thought IV was paced well enough but this is a big improvement, and we can finally run in the labyrinth.

Can't say I care for Grimoires though. Some cool things about them, but they are luck based and I will have to grind if I really wanted to take advantage of them, it would have been better to just have subclassing imo. Oh well, I expected that.

My party is handling expert well enough, I had some trouble with the one-armed mantis but not much else. I just need to have my Troubadour and my Medic use one skill each and I'm at full health at the end of every turn for three turns. It's really cheap too, only 8 and 4 TP respectively, very good in the early game.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I'm playing untold on expert or whatever.

First official Etrian odyssey game, but I played a well made dojin game called "Touhou labyrinth" before which was made intentionally harder then the official games believe it or not. The games exploration and battle system is based heavily on the Etrian series so i'm sorta use to it. Its actually what made my buy this game~

I'm really digging it~
Anything a nooby to the series should keep in mind~?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This game is really reminding me how deadly multiple party members hit by ailments can be.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm playing untold on expert or whatever.

First official Etrian odyssey game, but I played a well made dojin game called "Touhou labyrinth" before which was made intentionally harder then the official games believe it or not. The games exploration and battle system is based heavily on the Etrian series so i'm sorta use to it. Its actually what made my buy this game~

I'm really digging it~
Anything a nooby to the series should keep in mind~?
Keep a close eye on your party members that go through TP very fast, as TP consumption is a real pain early game for EO games, but that goes for most RPG to. Party synergy is also very important, espically since you are on expert mode, and while you may be able to get away with it for the first stratum or 2 if you don't have good synergy among your party members you will be punished eventually. And most importantly, always keep the item that return you to town in a blink of an eye on hand, I'm not sure what it is called in Untold, Warp Wire I think. Those are pretty much the 3 basics things to keep in mind for EO games.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's an Ariadne Thread in Untold. Also, party synergy is going to be important in Classic, but Story makes the process a bit simpler by forcing your characters into a set of classes until you can re-class at LV28+.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Keep a close eye on your party members that go through TP very fast, as TP consumption is a real pain early game for EO games, but that goes for most RPG to. Party synergy is also very important, espically since you are on expert mode, and while you may be able to get away with it for the first stratum or 2 if you don't have good synergy among your party members you will be punished eventually. And most importantly, always keep the item that return you to town in a blink of an eye on hand, I'm not sure what it is called in Untold, Warp Wire I think. Those are pretty much the 3 basics things to keep in mind for EO games.
Ahh thanks~

Playing on classic mode btw.
My team consists of Protector, Darkhunter, Medic, Troubadour, and an alchemist. Floor 4 so far so I guess it's a decent team. It got a little easier once my alchemist got enough TP to fire off spells and what not.

I'm really enjoying this game~ Only gripe I have is the mapping seems a little tedious at times, but otherwise it makes for a really good exploration game. Making your own team to finish the game with is a really satisfying feel. <3

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you don't enjoy the mapping you can lessen the ordeal somewhat with auto-map all (it will draw any walls you are adjacent to), and just rush Floor Jumps early (pretty much if you find a path from one staircase to another, it enables Floor Jump). A big draw for EO is definitely the mapping, though, and it's going to become more and more significant as you go farther down the Labyrinth.

It's quite a bit of investment (15 points), but maxing TP Up and getting LV5 Focus will essentially enable free spells as long as your Alchemist stays at full HP and you don't level up his/her base spells to LV5 yet (at which point they get considerably stronger but also cost 10TP). Protector's Prayer is also decent for regenerating TP between easy random encounters.

ndayday

BRoomer
Ahh thanks~

Playing on classic mode btw.
My team consists of Protector, Darkhunter, Medic, Troubadour, and an alchemist. Floor 4 so far so I guess it's a decent team. It got a little easier once my alchemist got enough TP to fire off spells and what not.

I'm really enjoying this game~ Only gripe I have is the mapping seems a little tedious at times, but otherwise it makes for a really good exploration game. Making your own team to finish the game with is a really satisfying feel. <3
Mapping is one of my favorite things in the games. It feels good to have a really accurate map.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So I felt like I should bump this. I finally got Untold.

I am still only on the third Stratum, B12F, of EO3 (I've had the game for quite a few months now to lol), I don't know why but EO3 just isn't keeping my interest like EO4 and EOU. I think it is because it feels like such a cluster f*** and is harder to keep track of things.

Anyways, I'm enjoying Untold. I started out on Story mode and am on B14F, 3rd Stratum, and have been enjoying well-enough. I'm not much caring for Story mode, I'm mostly just doing it for Highlander and Gunner classes. Mostly because it gets exclusive content and stuff like that, plus the predetermined party.

My other thoughts on Untold;
I detest the Alchemist class, which is really surprising since I generally like magical base classes. I changed Arthur to a Hexer as soon as I could.
Medic is relativity useless when everything it can accomplish can be done through items by everyone and Troubadour is a better healer anyway. So I changed Simon to Troubadour when I got the chance.
I both like and dislike the Grimoire system. I like getting monsters skills, but Subclassing overall was a better mechanic. In EO5 I would like to see bother mechanics, with Grimoires becoming exclusively for monster skills and fixing the RNG into something.... Not RNG.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot more once I get to Classic mode and get to make my own team. That's not to stay I'm not enjoying it currently, just that I think i could enjoy it a lot more.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
EOIII is my favorite game. All of the classes are really unique, though I do like IV's even though they are more standard, and EOU feels like a massive step back(Yeah, it's a remake, but they could have done so much more with them.) I personally hope they get creative like with III again with EOV, and PersonaQ as well now that I think about it, I can't wait to learn how character growth will work in that.
I really like the labyrinth designs, the 1st, 5th, and 6th standing out the most imo. It also has my favorite soundtrack of the series, especially those boss themes.
IV has a better combat system overall though.

Maybe it's because it's the first one I played in the series? I don't know. It is the only one I've completed 100%(which I rarely do for any game) despite sailing not being the best mechanic, and having to go through three endings. :/

And you sum up my thoughts on the Grimoire system perfectly, it's massively inferior to subclassing, and having to rely on the RNG kills any party planing around the system unless you are willing to grind.

I left off at the 3rd stratum in EOU(and the 6th in EOII) to play other games, don't know when I'll go back to those.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
EOIII is my favorite game. All of the classes are really unique, though I do like IV's even though they are more standard, and EOU feels like a massive step back(Yeah, it's a remake, but they could have done so much more with them.) I personally hope they get creative like with III again with EOV, and PersonaQ as well now that I think about it, I can't wait to learn how character growth will work in that.
I really like the labyrinth designs, the 1st, 5th, and 6th standing out the most imo. It also has my favorite soundtrack of the series, especially those boss themes.
IV has a better combat system overall though.

Maybe it's because it's the first one I played in the series? I don't know. It is the only one I've completed 100%(which I rarely do for any game) despite sailing not being the best mechanic, and having to go through three endings. :/

And you sum up my thoughts on the Grimoire system perfectly, it's massively inferior to subclassing, and having to rely on the RNG kills any party planing around the system unless you are willing to grind.

I left off at the 3rd stratum in EOU(and the 6th in EOII) to play other games, don't know when I'll go back to those.
EO3 is generally considered the best EO game by many fans. So you aren't alone there. My problem is my first EO game was IV and so III feels so cluttered to me and those rather small conveniences found in IV and Untold, or at least being exposed to them first, seem to actually make a difference for me. It's why I'm hoping EO3 will get a reinvention, just without a freaking story mode, so that I will be able top enjoy/finish the game. I'm sure I'll get to back to III eventually, but right now I just can't bring myself to do it, and once I do I'll probably end up restarting the game from the beginning, yipee I'll get to fight that annoying first boss again.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I can understand that, the older games really show their age if you've played a newer one, the small improvements really add up. I had trouble going through EOII because of the slower pace and the less interesting classes(Worth it for that 4th strata though.)

I'll really miss EOU's game speed improvements if I go back to the older games.

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
A huge fan of the more recent Etrian Oyddsey games, though I don't really like my rpg's to be difficult. I thought the character art for EO4 looked cute, so I downloaded the demo and by the next day I had bought the game.

My favorite thing about the series is probably how they get my creative juices flowing, and the music. Though I tend to not like very many Atlus games, I always adore the music. I got really close to writing a story based on my party's adventures in EQ4. I have Untold and haven't started it yet. Is the story mode worth it at all? I was planning on only playing the classic mode.

PS.
As with all things I'm a fan of, seeing you going around with that Avatar, mimgrim, always makes me a little bit happier.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
i love loved loved the first Etrian Odyssey. That game didn't need a huge storyline to stand as a good dungeon crawler. It was very nostaligc.

Top Bottom