• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enter The Darkness: Dark Samus Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ever hear of "retro" versions of characters...?

Just give Dark Samus one of Samus' old movesets (i.e. her Melee one), add Phazon effects, and there you go.
Samus has had the same moveset in every game, this would make Dark Samus a direct clone, and even most of the new clones in Brawl were just semi-clones. Sure, her moves have worked a bit differently in every game, and in Melee she didn't have ZSS, but this would still make for the most uncreative clone since Melee even with added phazon effects. If DS was implemented as a clone, it wouldn't be too much to expect her having at least one or two moves that work differently from the original character, like almost all clone characters have at this point. And if you're just going to give her a moveset from a character whose moveset has never made any drastic changes, what's the point in going back and just copying it from another game, when development could just differentiate her from the current Samus?

Sorry if I'm missing something, but this doesn't seem to be a new idea, it just seems to be something that was done alot in Melee, and is unlikely to happen in SSB4.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Well the blaster would be like a scattersshot, no screw attack, the morph ball is basically a battering ram, no grapple beam, hyper missiles. Tons of new movesets, and it isn't like he can't make a few up. Look at Captain Falcon and Donkey Kong. Neither of them do those moves in their games.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Captain Falcon and Donkey Kong are kind of different because it wouldnt be too hard to come up with something for the two of them as opposed to other characters such as R.O.B or G&W. Dark Samus can still pull off a great moveset with her abilities from the prime games and basic smashes.

Obviously Captain Falcon didn't do anything outside his machine, but i mean really, he IS a human. It's not hard to think of a moveset for somebody like that. Donkey Kong i believe uses the ground pound in at least DKCR, but that was released after Brawl so i guess it doesnt really matter

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon and Donkey Kong are kind of different because it wouldnt be too hard to come up with something for the two of them as opposed to other characters such as R.O.B or G&W. Dark Samus can still pull off a great moveset with her abilities from the prime games and basic smashes.

Obviously Captain Falcon didn't do anything outside his machine, but i mean really, he IS a human. It's not hard to think of a moveset for somebody like that. Donkey Kong i believe uses the ground pound in at least DKCR, but that was released after Brawl so i guess it doesnt really matter
The ground pound is from the first Donkey Kong Country.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
i figured it was from DKC. i still havent played those games, and im kinda disappointed that i havent lol

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I was in the Donkey Kong veteran thread earlier and they have some movesets based off of stuff he did in game. Like changing his up special to a barrel cannon.
But this is about Dark Samus. And that picture earlier of her hovering,
So look here:
I could see that as what she does during her final smash. There are lots of things she could do for a FS, like call in a Leviathan to crash into the stage, have copies of her self pop out to attack people, she could even extend those tentacles around and they would grab people, shock them and throw them

D

Deleted member

How about how "strong" she is as a character to Metroid and Nintendo as a whole, as SmashChu seems to think that she isn't that big of a character compared to Black Shadow the "main villain" (though he's really not) of the F-Zero series, who's "important in every game he's in" (though he's really not).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It would be interesting if the attacks she performs causes a poisoning effect when it connects. Or several of her attacks can freeze opponents.

While she isn't as important as Ridley in the Metroid series overall; she is the main antagonist for the Prime series. She could easily represent the Prime series while Ridley would represent the Super Metroid series (pre-prime).

:phone:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Timeline-wise, Metroid II and Super take place after the Prime series. Definitely agree on the first part though. As the radioactive substance that Phazon is, a poisoning effect from her would make sense.

Serilei

Smash Apprentice
Dude, this is an excellent idea, I myself (as you say in my thread) want Dark samus too, i just didnt know what moves to give her, but I think you leveled it out pretty well, except the UP B 10 second thing, I felt it shouldve been shorter, but it is all good. I support this idea and would like my name there as well. also on that Wall Collage of Dark Samus the one with the skull looking suit could be an excellent alternative costume.

Also I watched this video and I dont know if any of them relate to some of the moves you posted or not, but it gave me a few ideas. Like a phazon blast, where Dark samus blasts out this circle of Phazon, and there is a part where Ice falls from the top or something, but what if it was made into a move or something, like DOWN A drops ice shards or something.

But take a look and let me know which moves are which please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNSS4VQLktY

I also noticed that dark samus does this split move, 2 dark samuses, and I know you posted about the clone thing as well, but did you mean it like (will use my thoughts as well) for example you press lets say DOWN B and another DS appears, except like a mirror to you and does exactly everything you do for like 5 seconds or something. So think of this (imagine) You are on the battle field, it is you VS Link, then you use the clone split move, so now is it you on the left side, Link in the middle and the clone on the right side, and for every button or move you make, it does the same thing, moves the same way as you etc, like a mirror... am I getting it right? Thought it was a great idea anywho.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Dude, this is an excellent idea, I myself (as you say in my thread) want Dark samus too, i just didnt know what moves to give her, but I think you leveled it out pretty well, except the UP B 10 second thing, I felt it shouldve been shorter, but it is all good. I support this idea and would like my name there as well. also on that Wall Collage of Dark Samus the one with the skull looking suit could be an excellent alternative costume.

Also I watched this video and I dont know if any of them relate to some of the moves you posted or not, but it gave me a few ideas. Like a phazon blast, where Dark samus blasts out this circle of Phazon, and there is a part where Ice falls from the top or something, but what if it was made into a move or something, like DOWN A drops ice shards or something.

But take a look and let me know which moves are which please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNSS4VQLktY

I also noticed that dark samus does this split move, 2 dark samuses, and I know you posted about the clone thing as well, but did you mean it like (will use my thoughts as well) for example you press lets say DOWN B and another DS appears, except like a mirror to you and does exactly everything you do for like 5 seconds or something. So think of this (imagine) You are on the battle field, it is you VS Link, then you use the clone split move, so now is it you on the left side, Link in the middle and the clone on the right side, and for every button or move you make, it does the same thing, moves the same way as you etc, like a mirror... am I getting it right? Thought it was a great idea anywho.
Well i havent been here in a while. But i do like the idea of clones being used in combat. I dont know how many people watched Naruto and how he uses clones, but she could do a final smash thing involving multiple clones combo-ing together.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
We all know how EPIC SICKKK her her/its.. battle theme is in Echoe's and Corruption. I want Ridley more but i gotta weired feelings she gotta more chance of making it in then Ridley in the Devs eyes..

Easier to implement more fitting role in sm4sh..

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Her battle theme in Echoes was better though IMO.

Easier to implement? Probably. Would have a more fitting role in Sm4sh? Would definitely beg to differ there. I've more or less always supported Dark Samus, though as a secondary addition and not so the devs could just possibly take an easy or lazier way out in adding a new Metroid character so they wouldn't have to implement Ridley.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ok i have read all pages and post top to bottom in one go my eyes are frigging burning!

Ok this is all Truth.

I want Ridley more
But i think Dark Samus has a better chance in getting in.

And no i dont mean Dark Samus is more important to the Metroid Series as a whole then Ridley is..because She isnt...

I Based my username and XBL GT: of Dark Samus! i love metroid it is by far my most favirote nintendo franchise.

Me and ''JohnnyMaster'' might be not the best of friends but something i bet we can both agree on is.

#1. Metroid is NOT represented/popular as it should be (I never knew this! its shocking)

#2. Sm4sh needs another metroid char more then any other franchise.

#3. Metroid being this disgraced makes me sick..

--------------------------------------------
If metroid doesnt get another character in Sm4sh i will go bezerk!

What i meant about metroid needing another rep more then any over franchise in Sm4sh was not a diss to F-Zero just that Metroid has continued on F-Zero hasent..

Also like Sakurai said he is not big on expanding the roster alot meaning a a few new chars combined with a few less modernly popular chars being scrapped to Make the roster more diverse without expanding it too much.

I havent played any F-Zero at all really but you could say that Captain Falcon is iconic to the Sm4sh series and to stand out in a game thats filled with all-stars is a big thing..

The whole Falcon punch thing is worldly known and popular also hilarious and Nintendo knows with Snakes Codec on Falcon in Brawl lmfao.

Point is if Chars like Falcon to get scrapped to bring in another bloody fury space animal or another kirby rep untop of kirby/MK/Dedede or Another Stupid PSI Mother brat and Have Waluigi/Koopa J.R and no Ridley or Dark Samus? boy will i go madddd.

I ''Had'' Nothing against Kirby/Starfox/Mother series but it makes me Sick how there getting more Reps in Sm4sh then Metroid and thats where Purely my hate for those series generates from when imo Metroid beats Fire emblem/Starfox/Kirby/MOTHER!!/Kid Icarus in Popularity..

Again no disrespect to F-Zero i would like to see Goroh or Black Shadow but treating metroids popularity on the same level as F-Zero is a Falcon Punch to our faces...

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I do want Dark Samus. But while she is not as critical to the development of Samus as ridley, she was the consistent villain in the primes. I cant remember, was ridley even in Echoes? I never played it.
So i do agree with you Dark Phazon

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ridley wasn't in Echoes, but the game didn't have much Space Pirate or Phazon activity in general either. It was more of a side story to the Prime trilogy with the whole dark and light theme that went with everything, while with the 1st Prime and Corruption, Space Pirates (i.e. Ridley) and Phazon was more the main theme or focus. But in the end, the Prime trilogy in general didn't really affect or impact the events of the other games (Metroid II and all the other titles that took place after it), so the timeline could've functioned just as well without the Prime games.

Not saying that to downplay Dark Samus's importance, but it is what it is.

And Dark Phazon, why do you think Dark Samus has a better chance of getting in Sm4sh than Ridley? If it's because she'd prolly be easier to implement, then that's not really a good reason. A truckload of Pokemon from any of the different gens would've been much easier to implement in Brawl than Charizard but he was still added.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I see the primes similar to Star Wars books, it's cool and all but it doesn't affect the predetermined events of the series.
So while she would be easier to implant. I just think a giant dragon would make more of and impact. DS getting in too would be good, as more of a strong, little more acrobatic and graceful samus, a luigified version of attributes, with a new moveset.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I Guess i get these Ideas/Thoughts from constantly getting let down by the Devs in game these days and that ''Hate'' Has only grown over time because of the constant amount of times i have been let down and Predicted in seeing soo many Hyped/Heavily Anticipated games being a downfall... And my views/Predictions being fairly Accurate which only then Strenghtns My ''Hate'' And Negative Views.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Dark samus is a rather controversial character. Prime fans, especially Corruption. Know who he is. But the masses, dont. sakurai hasnt had the best record in getting the facts right concerning metroid, so unless he took a special interest, watched some fights, read some articles. He would assume she is a clone. Which she isn't but technically is.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Dark samus is a rather controversial character. Prime fans, especially Corruption. Know who he is. But the masses, dont. sakurai has had the best record in getting the facts right concerning metroid, so unless he took a special interest, watched some fights, read some articles. He would assume she is a clone. Which she isn't but technically is.

She could be made not a clone if given claws and more phazon based stuff. But yeah a cloen more or less. And there's the issue that Ridley outplays... it? the games never states it's gender.
I think Dark Samus could be great. Maybe some time down the game line

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
The problem is that phazon is gone, if I remember correctly. So she won't make an appearance unless the GF's have some phazon in storage or something along those lines. Which could also explain a reappearance e of Ridley after fusion, if records of his DNA still exist

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
I think that Samus's Final Smash would be changed to the Phazon Mode where if it becomes empty, it ends normally but if it becomes full, Samus gets taken over and becomes Dark Samus and the only way to turn back would be to use the Final Smash again. If you're like what???!, let me explain. In Metroid Prime 3, when Phazon Mode gets to full, you become Dark Samus and get a game over.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That admittedly would be an interesting way to play as Dark Samus without her taking up a complete spot on the roster. Not bad, IMO.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think that Samus's Final Smash would be changed to the Phazon Mode where if it becomes empty, it ends normally but if it becomes full, Samus gets taken over and becomes Dark Samus and the only way to turn back would be to use the Final Smash again. If you're like what???!, let me explain. In Metroid Prime 3, when Phazon Mode gets to full, you become Dark Samus and get a game over.
That's not quite how Dark Samus works.

Dark Samus is Metroid Prime mimicking Samus in the Phazon Suit. They are completely different entities. So one transforming into the other would be... odd.

Plus what would happen to ZSS?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That's not quite how Dark Samus works.

Dark Samus is Metroid Prime mimicking Samus in the Phazon Suit. They are completely different entities. So one transforming into the other would be... odd.
That literally is what happens in Prime 3's game over cutscene though when Samus becomes fully corrupted, which he was making a nod to with the idea.

But yeah, I realize it wouldn't happen because of ZSS.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That literally is what happens in Prime 3's game over cutscene though when Samus becomes fully corrupted, which he was making a nod to with the idea.

But yeah, I realize it wouldn't happen because of ZSS.
Ah... Never knew that was the game over screen.

Kind of a cool touch.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dark Samus could have a different moveset from regular Samus.

B: Phazon Blast- fires a large energy shot that does damge over time to the opponent, takes a shiloe to recharge
B Side: Phazon Dash- Charges forwards
B Up: Phaze-Turns tranparent and goes into freeflight, knock back resistant up to 100% but takes all damage
B Down: Corruption- Leave a damaging Phazon puddle

Also do you think she/it will use her Prime 2 or Prime 3 design?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Dark Samus can work really well if you try. There's honestly enough material to work with in making a unique moveset. Phazon Beam, check. Teleporting, check. Tendrils, check. Dark Samus can even use some of Samus's moves that haven't been used in Smash Bros yet. Namely the Boost Ball.

D

Deleted member

Don't forget the powers she stole from the three bounty hunters.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Samus never makes use of her Speed Booster (and by extension the Shinespark technique), Spazer Beam, Nova Beam, Dark Beam, or Hypermode abilities in Smash Bros. All of said weapons and techniques would easily fit with Dark Samus' speedier Phazon-based gameplay. All that in addition to the bounty hunters' powers and Dark Samus' own powers leaves plenty of room for a completely unique moveset.

Does Sakurai himself create the moves of characters, or does he just simply balance them? There's so much Dark Samus can pull from, being anything close to even pseudo-clone status would only be ignorance on the Smash team's part. Surely they do more than just passing research, right?

...Right?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Samus never makes use of her Speed Booster (and by extension the Shinespark technique), Spazer Beam, Nova Beam, Dark Beam, or Hypermode abilities in Smash Bros.
Dark Samus has never used a majority of what you listed in the Prime games either. She did have a much better version of the Boost Ball than Samus did though, which could act as a substitute for the Speed Booster/Shinespark, and with the whole scattershot thing Dark Samus was sporting in Prime 2 among other things, I don't think she would need the Spazer Beam or some of those other beams you mentioned. Her Phazon gameplay should be enough.

Also, I'm not sure how Samus herself would even have certain things like the Speed Booster in Smash. I mean yeah, it could be made to work after running a certain distance, but I don't see that being used so much in a 1 on 1 match, only matches with three or more people. And would it be a special move of hers, or something else?
And I could be wrong on this, but I don't think anything from the Prime trilogy will really be incorporated into her moveset in the future. It seems to be intended for the Samus in Smash to only be based on the one from the sidescrollers as far as the moves, character design, and whatnot. Hence why Zero Mission was more represented in Brawl than the Prime games as far as like, everything.

Does Sakurai himself create the moves of characters, or does he just simply balance them? There's so much Dark Samus can pull from, being anything close to even pseudo-clone status would only be ignorance on the Smash team's part. Surely they do more than just passing research, right?

...Right?
Sakurai did both of the above when it came to Brawl IIRC, but unfortunately, the trophy description he gave for Dark Samus in Brawl is evidence enough as any that he would indeed have made her a clone of some sort if he included her (maybe only a Luigi or Wolf-esque clone if we were lucky). I think Melee had more people working with things like the trophy descriptions, so you didn't see as many things that sounded a bit off or inaccurate like you did with the Dark Samus trophy or that of the hunters from MPH.

At any rate, I still support Dark Samus more than Anthony, because phuck Impa, Anthony, and Blastoise. :troll:

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
I'm alll-for Dark Samus as a character, but there is a problem. She's almost certainly not going to be relevant to new releases in the future. (Hint to the uninformed: DKCR sold better than the entire Prime trilogy combined. There will be no MP4 for a long time.)

Compare instead Fusion Suit Samus, a lighter, faster Samus with Ice Missles. This "character" will certainly be more relevant in the years to come as the series decides to contine the plot beyond Metroid Fusion's ending. I'm not arguing that Dark Samus would be a less unique character, she certainly wouldn't and that's also part of the problem. As much as people complain about clones, they take significantly less development resources to build than new characters/half-clones/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom