• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge Pivot Dash

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
This worked out for me. I was able to do the Edge Pivot right after I read this. The adjustable range is the best thing about this, albeit a little noticeable when executed.
How do you adjust the range?

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
How do you adjust the range?
Basically, you let go of the control stick after the initial turnaround slide. During a turnaround on a ledge, your character seems to hang a bit before they take their first step. When they take their first step (and when you input a command) depends on how long you hold the control stick. You'll be able to tell you let go too late when you activate a dash attack, and too soon when you don't activate anything.

Now that we know how to do it, we should measure how long the slide goes for each character and what moves are usuable via this slide.

Last edited:

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
Don't need ledge:
:4sonic::4megaman::4darkpit::4shulk:(Speed):4wiifit::4villager::4rob::rosalina::4charizard::4dedede::4duckhunt::4palutena::4pit::4samus::4sheik::4zelda::4link::4lucina::4marth::4metaknight::4tlink::4greninja::4kirby::4diddy::4dk:
Some characters can do any move except fsmash, some can't do anything except spot dodge, but this is only a brief test. If I had to say who has the best speed/slide. It would be duck hunt, Kirby, and the pits.
My rankings:
1. DHD/Kirby
2. Pits
3. Diddy
4. Rosaluma
5. Greninja/Marth/Lucina
6. Samus
7. Shulk (speed)/Sonic
8. Villager/DK
9. WFT/Toon Link
10. Link
11. Shiek
12. ROB/Zelda
13. MK
14. Palutena
15. MM/DDD/Charizard
I need confirmation
wow so mario can do it without a ledge too

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I would like to mention I tried it several times with Dedede, both with and without ledge, and I couldn't get any noticeable slide with either dsmash or jab. I didn't test every move, maybe his up tilt can do it, but I kinda doubt it.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
wow so mario can do it without a ledge too
I just automatically assumed Mario couldn't do it because of the video :p

I would like to mention I tried it several times with Dedede, both with and without ledge, and I couldn't get any noticeable slide with either dsmash or jab. I didn't test every move, maybe his up tilt can do it, but I kinda doubt it.
I think for Dedede it specifically worked for his up-smash, spot dodge, and one of the tilts (if I remember correctly)

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying it with Villager and I keep sliding different lengths. Can't quite figure out what I'm doing differently. From what BestTeaMaker told me though it sounds like it depends on when I let go of the control stick. Back to training mode!

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
This was posted at the bottom of last so it might not be seen
I have a pretty firm grasp on this technique, so I'll answer some questions

Yes. You can actually do the technique with no input, by simply letting go of the joystick. Your character will slide while standing. You can do anything during that, including down smashes without the c-stick.

This is not how it works. If you let go at a certain time before you start running, you will just slide while standing. You can do Foward smashes with this, but you need to let go of the joystick before you press the C-stick for some reason.

Basically, to practice this I would first work on doing it by just turning around with no ledge. All the ledge does is give characters a boost for some reason. Just do the turn around, and let go of the joystick just after you start moving forward again. Timing varies for different characters.

What slides is the same as whatever slides with perfect pivots.
Whatever attacks slide with perfect pivot slide with this technique too.

Also, yeah, the length travelled depends on your timing.You want to do time it as late as possible for the best slide.

Speed Shulk goes half of FD when timed perfectly, only 1/4 when a little too early, and much less when timed too early.

Also, you do not need to do an attack for this, simply letting go of the joystick works. It's slower to practice by doing an attack. You'll know if you messed up without doing any input because you'll either skid (stop from a dash, you let go too late) or won't move at all (let go too early).

Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
As villager I can slide a little consistently but sliding a lot is hard to get. When I get it though, wow the difference is very noticeable.

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
I still don't understand HOW EXACTLY to do this tech.
run towards a ledge and push and hold the opposite direction before u get there. once your character has momentum going in the other direction and you get towards the end of the 'slide', let go of the control stick and input a smash (f,d or up) with the cstick. As soon as your control stick is in neutral, smash the cstick

uTheJoKeR

Smash Rookie
NNID
uTheJoKeR
3DS FC
3866-8474-2306
run towards a ledge and push and hold the opposite direction before u get there. once your character has momentum going in the other direction and you get towards the end of the 'slide', let go of the control stick and input a smash (f,d or up) with the cstick. As soon as your control stick is in neutral, smash the cstick
Ok, Thanks

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
Just confirmed, WFT can do it with or without a ledge. Her jab and up smash keep the momentum, but her other moves cancel it.

Edit: utilt keeps momentum as well.

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Just confirmed, WFT can do it with or without a ledge. Her jab and up smash keep the momentum, but her other moves cancel it.
Man her Dsmash would be so good though, thanks for confirming. Her jab is ultimate though.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Here's what's happening. (Look up the terms I use in the dictionary if you're not sure.)
For starters this has absolutely nothing to do with the 'perfect pivot' and having it in the video will only lead to confusion. Some characters get a better slide doing a 'slingshot' if they do their 'dash turn' up against the edge of a stage/platform. [Note that the length of your slide depends on how long you hold in the direction you are turning after you've done the 'dash turn'.] Because there's not enough room to do the initial dash in the 'dash turn' when standing right on the edge (because you'd fall off), what is done in the vid is a single 'dash dance' input away from the edge then back towards it before going and doing the dash turn.
So yeah, combination of a dash dance with a slingshot to make it so you don't have to run too far away from the direction you intend to slide in. This is probably way more useful for those that don't have to do it near an edge and now get to actually use the slide of a slingshot to slide over more ground that they didn't just run over, i.e. it could be used for approaches etc. but then it takes a little while to set up so... eh.
That's all there is to it.

Last edited:

Shadow_I)ragoon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SyNeaX
Idk about other characters but yoshi being my main I did some test with him and figured out that for yoshi at least, since his turnaround animation seems so long he doesnt even need to slide whatsoever, the first 3 or 4 steps he does still count as turnaround and you can input dsmash and tilts and fsmash as if you werent running. For some reason reversed fsmash seems to get a really huge distance out of it.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I love how ridiculously easy this is to pull off. I literally just run, then slingshot back, and dsmash or dtilt.

And the coolest part is, you can do it on the 3ds too.

Top Bottom