• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge Pivot Dash

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
This is basically a slide that allows characters to slide and act out of it with a dsmash, jabs, tilts.
Here's a video:
Thoughts?

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
How does one exactly perform this? It isn't very clear (maybe I'm just tired). It looks really awesome though.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Not entirely sure, I have yet to test it myself, but it looks like you just dash towards the ledge and pivot, which then gives the sliding motion. From there you can do anything except for fsmash according to the video.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Huh, okay. The only issue I have with that hypothesis though is that it says some charas don't need the ledge, and if that were true, there has to be some sort of added input, right? Or maybe people just overlooked it until now?

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I see Keitaro's Diddy pull it off here and there. It seems there should be an added input..I'll try it tomorrow. I'll leave it to the other braniacs on smashboards for now

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I see Keitaro's Diddy pull it off here and there. It seems there should be an added input..I'll try it tomorrow. I'll leave it to the other braniacs on smashboards for now
Sounds good, can't wait to see this thread in the morning (hopefully with replies)

Zetassj

Smash Rookie
Hello! I am the owner of the video

I'm not very technical for technique names in smash , I think it stays on " Edge Pivot Dash " . ¿ Can you edit the topic Title ?

Thanks for commenting : )

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Why not "Advanced pivot dash slide cancel momentum input freedom technique" for the name?

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I'd pretty sure this was already discovered some time ago, considering I've been doing it with Kirby since early December for sliding down smashes, tilts and jabs.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'd pretty sure this was already discovered some time ago, considering I've been doing it with Kirby since early December for sliding down smashes, tilts and jabs.
You may confuse yourself with perfect pivot. But whether or not you've actually done this technique, pretty sure it's still the first video about it.

Zetassj

Smash Rookie
How did you perform it?
Come Running the Edge and before touching you change the direction of your character , in the moment that starts to give 1 step back press down smash or some jab. Is that basically , to make it faster you need perfect pivot and that is a little more difficult

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
In the beginning of the video I the same with mario, But the edges amplify the slide with some characters

Still not entirely new. It's just another aspect of the previous discovery in that case.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Back then it was discovered that you can not only use dsmash, jabs and some tilts, but you can also use it to do a sliding spot dodge.

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
its not a bad tech. it only works with the cstick being in neutral until after the turnaround for me though. is that how you do it?

edit: i actually really like it. its really easy to do once u get the hang of it. it just flows

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
its not a bad tech. it only works with the cstick being in neutral until after the turnaround for me though. is that how you do it?

edit: i actually kinda like it. its really easy to do once u get the hang of it. it just flows
Now try doing it with jabs, tilts, grabs and spot dodges.

I still get more use out of just walking than I do this sliding tech though, but I have used it to trip up an opponent.

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Going to do some testing, will be back with slide distances and other goodies. Brb

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
I still don't understand how to do it. Could some explain in good English?

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I still don't understand how to do it. Could some explain in good English?
Dash towards a ledge or end of a platform, tap and hold back right before you hit it (not sure about this timing actually), then after the first step or during it use an input. I need to test this though and will correct it when I do.

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
make sure u dont even touch the cstick or any input until during the slide motion

Last edited:

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
Ok awesome I've managed to do it fairly easily, Pretty nice and tech and for a change its actually easy to do and will probably just take a few days to get used to doing consistently.

I usually have my c-stick set to tilt - does anyone if its possible to do a sliding d-smash (we calling it that?) or sliding smash without the c-stick?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
This seems like it requires less input speed to execute than a Perfect Pivot. By the looks of the video, it seems that he's dashing to the ledge, reverse dashing into a pivot for the slide, and entering Down Smash.

I'll try this soon. Seems like the jab or Down Smash timing might require the same entry window as a Perfect Pivot, judging by this:

"Come running towards the edge and before touching change the of direction for your character, in the moment that starts to give 1 step press down smash or some jab. That is how it's done basically."

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Don't need ledge:
:4sonic::4megaman::4darkpit::4shulk:(Speed):4wiifit::4villager::4rob::rosalina::4charizard::4dedede::4duckhunt::4palutena::4pit::4samus::4sheik::4zelda::4link::4lucina::4marth::4metaknight::4tlink::4greninja::4kirby::4diddy::4dk:
Some characters can do any move except fsmash, some can't do anything except spot dodge, but this is only a brief test. If I had to say who has the best speed/slide. It would be duck hunt, Kirby, and the pits.
My rankings:
1. DHD/Kirby
2. Pits
3. Diddy
4. Rosaluma
5. Greninja/Marth/Lucina
6. Samus
7. Shulk (speed)/Sonic
8. Villager/DK
9. WFT/Toon Link
10. Link
11. Shiek
12. ROB/Zelda
13. MK
14. Palutena
15. MM/DDD/Charizard
I need confirmation

Last edited:

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
So, I'm doing this on the gamepad, but I figured out the timing to it.

The best thing about this tech is that you can adjust the distance you slide. The trick apparently involves letting go of the stick at different times. On Battlefield with Mario, for example, I've found that the farthest you can slide the down-smash hitbox is to the far edge of the bottom platforms from the edge of the stage, where the shortest is the closest edge (or even shorter).

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I feel that characters that have a quick turn around animation can't benefit from this slide, ZSS was almost impossible to do by a ledge, or maybe my timing was scrubby.

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
I think the best way to describe this is a turnaround DACUS with more options out of the turnarround (tilts, smashes, grab).

David Viran

Smash Lord
Don't need ledge:
:4sonic::4megaman::4darkpit::4shulk:(Speed):4wiifit::4villager::4rob::rosalina::4charizard::4dedede::4duckhunt::4palutena::4pit::4samus::4sheik::4zelda::4link::4lucina::4marth::4metaknight::4tlink::4greninja::4kirby::4diddy::4dk:
Some characters can do any move except fsmash, some can't do anything except spot dodge, but this is only a brief test. If I had to say who has the best speed/slide. It would be duck hunt, Kirby, and the pits.
My rankings:
1. DHD/Kirby
2. Pits
3. Diddy
4. Rosaluma
5. Greninja/Marth/Lucina
6. Samus
7. Shulk (speed)/Sonic
8. Villager/DK
9. WFT/Toon Link
10. Link
11. Shiek
12. ROB/Zelda
13. MK
14. Palutena
15. MM/DDD/Charizard
I need confirmation
ignore this

Last edited:

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Can't seem to figure out the timing, someone plz assist!!

Never mind I just used my brain to figure it out. Basically the only kind of movement where one can do a dsmash is you either Stand still or walk. The reason this works is because you are really entering a walking mode after turning, at least you fool the system into thinking you are because you hold a direction on the stick. But after a slide you are really running (which is why forward smash won't work with this). Which suggests that this is unintended, or in a move to give the competitive community an advanced maneuver, a kind gesture from sakurai.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I feel that characters that have a quick turn around animation can't benefit from this slide, ZSS was almost impossible to do by a ledge, or maybe my timing was scrubby.
Sadly, the same happened to me :(

At least, Diddy can do it, which is a good thing, right? :troll:

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
The pivot slide itself is an interesting form of movement. Personally I like Meta Knight's the most from just playing around with it, you can do silly things like slide into a rapid jab (since his starts off like this) and let go to launch them away from you. Of course, it works well with his dsmash also.

I think the main issue is the start up, it'll probably be useful for good reads and to punish mistakes, or maybe as a mix-up, but I can't see it doing much beyond that. Still though, it's pretty neat.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
You can use it to bait opponents into rolling back onto stage, where you can punish with virtually anything. Or trick your opponents into a normal ledge get up or ledge attack, where you would punish with a complete stop turnaround fsmash (since fsmash stops the sliding). Kirby's, Duck Hunts, and Luigis EPD's basically cover the whole of the smashville platforms and for some characters like Duck Hunt, makes down smash completely safe against most characters.

Last edited:

Blond

Smash Rookie
NNID
Clindian

Never mind I just used my brain to figure it out. Basically the only kind of movement where one can do a dsmash is you either Stand still or walk. The reason this works is because you are really entering a walking mode after turning, at least you fool the system into thinking you are because you hold a direction on the stick. But after a slide you are really running (which is why forward smash won't work with this). Which suggests that this is unintended, or in a move to give the competitive community an advanced maneuver, a kind gesture from sakurai.
This worked out for me. I was able to do the Edge Pivot right after I read this. The adjustable range is the best thing about this, albeit a little noticeable when executed.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I have a pretty firm grasp on this technique, so I'll answer some questions
Ok awesome I've managed to do it fairly easily, Pretty nice and tech and for a change its actually easy to do and will probably just take a few days to get used to doing consistently.

I usually have my c-stick set to tilt - does anyone if its possible to do a sliding d-smash (we calling it that?) or sliding smash without the c-stick?
Yes. You can actually do the technique with no input, by simply letting go of the joystick. Your character will slide while standing. You can do anything during that, including down smashes without the c-stick.

This is not how it works. If you let go at a certain time before you start running, you will just slide while standing. You can do Foward smashes with this, but you need to let go of the joystick before you press the C-stick for some reason.

Basically, to practice this I would first work on doing it by just turning around with no ledge. All the ledge does is give characters a boost for some reason. Just do the turn around, and let go of the joystick just after you start moving forward again. Timing varies for different characters.

What slides is the same as whatever slides with perfect pivots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom