• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. Invitational - Players/Rules Announced

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
No DeDeDe, huh, figured he would be a safe bet to be playable.

Hey, I guess this disproves the people that were thinking that they would have everyone playable for the tournament (or it wouldn't be "Fair") and that that would have ramifications on the final character roster.

JCAndre

Smash Apprentice
Looking at the official rules on Nintendo's E3 site, 1st and 2nd place in each round will be determined by score (Kills-Deaths) rather than who is alive at the end.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Did this whole leaked list come true?

1. [*]Categorized by Real name - Alias
    [*]Players:
    [*]Kevin Toy - PewPewU
    [*]McCain LaVelle - MacD
    [*]Christopher Szygiel - PC Chris
    [*]Daniel Jung - KoreanDJ
    [*]Lilian Wei - Milktea
    [*]Gonzalo Barrios - ZeRo
    [*]Neha Chhetri - Lilo
    [*]Kevin Nanney - PPMD
    [*]Kris Aldenderfer - Toph
    [*]Hendrick Pilar - DJ Nintendo
    [*]Dakota Lasky - Rapture
    [*]Justin Hallett - Wizzrobe
    [*]Samantha McNaughton - Peachyhime
    [*]Hugo Gonzalez - HugS
    [*]Ken Hoang - Ken
    [*]Cristin DeSaro - Crismas
    [*]Commentators:
    [*]D'Ron Maingrette - D1
    [*]Wynton Smith - Prog

1. Some names look familar.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Ugh. Nintendo assembles an amazing roster of players, then completely ruins it by having the tournament be Stock FFA, which is literally the worst mode possible. AT LEAST put it on Time, Stock FFA is literally all about running away and avoiding combat since there's no incentive to get kills.

JCAndre

Smash Apprentice
Ugh. Nintendo assembles an amazing roster of players, then completely ruins it by having the tournament be Stock FFA, which is literally the worst mode possible. AT LEAST put it on Time, Stock FFA is literally all about running away and avoiding combat since there's no incentive to get kills.
It is Timed stock, and the winner of each round is determined by the best score (kills minus deaths), not last man standing.

RODO

Smash Ace
I know items seem weird but you have to remember the casuals who want to see items in play. Nintendo has reached much further in our direction than I could ever have anticipated, so giving the casuals some items to see for a few rounds is fine with me.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It is Timed stock, and the winner of each round is determined by the best score (kills minus deaths), not last man standing.
If that is true it should just be time, the only thing that will do is confuse the heck out of everyone watching it.

*Game declares that player X won*
"No, ignore the game, this other player actually won, we just have no idea how to run a tourney".

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Smaller things to take away from the announcement:
Characters that are confirmed that won't be playable - :4charizard::4yoshi::4tlink::4myfriends::4diddy::4dedede::4sheik::4luigi::4lucario::4peach:

Finale on Battlefield, not FD. Maybe a change in For Glory mode
They're just talking about the Invitational though. Maybe on the E3 floor they will all be playable. Probably Nintendo decided to keep the options in check because they want these specific characters to be featured in the tournament, for many possible reasons (two being third parties, all the newcomers for publicity's sake ecc ecc).

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm disappointed that neither Mew2King or Mango are going to the Smash Bros. Invitational.

Hopefully the roster will be the same for the Best Buy demo.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If that is true it should just be time, the only thing that will do is confuse the heck out of everyone watching it.

*Game declares that player X won*
"No, ignore the game, this other player actually won, we just have no idea how to run a tourney".
Eh, if you die early you're less likely to get most kills, the last man standing is likely to have quite some kills on his back. Top 2 Players advance, so they were pretty much required to have the K/D ratio decide on some factor.

The rules are a bit iffy in general though. It seems that they want it to move quickly and didn't want it to be 1v1 because of this, which has made it quite a mess.

ffadicted

Smash Rookie
Relevant Question: Does this mean Nintendo will start selling more gamecube controllers in store? Or is that too much to hope for? So much hype for this.

For the people complaining about the rules, this tournament isn't just for you lol You can't expect them to host a 1v1, FD, fox only, no items tournament in the (probably) most important E3 in their recent history. So much depends on this game for Nintendo, they're seriously leaving no stone un-turned in the dev of this game, and they want to show it all off to the world at E3. The GF on battlefield 1v1 no items is there for us!

Bummer not having Armada there though lol

CapnMuffin

Smash Apprentice
Smaller things to take away from the announcement:
Characters that are confirmed that won't be playable - :4charizard::4yoshi::4tlink::4myfriends::4diddy::4dedede::4sheik::4luigi::4lucario::4peach:

Finale on Battlefield, not FD. Maybe a change in For Glory mode
Hmm... can we take this as a sign that they may still be tweaking their moves? Toon Link in particular.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
More info involving items and such.

QF: Items on Medium
SF and F: Items on Low
Grand Final: No items

And some other stuff that needs to be added to the OP.

http://e3.nintendo.com/invitational/info.html
It actually appears the the actual rule is "last man standing advances, as does the person who had the most kills of the remaining 3. If there's a tie for kills, fan voting will decide who moves on".

juddy96

Smash Lord
I love this line at this end (having already said no items)

*Grand Finals is a 4-stock, 8-minute, 1-on-1 match on Battlefield as an homage to the competitive Smash Bros. community.

Last edited:

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
Relevant Question: Does this mean Nintendo will start selling more gamecube controllers in store? Or is that too much to hope for?
I'd imagine so. Hopefully they'll advertise them as Super Smash Bros for Wii U controllers and all have that awesome emblem on them like in the video. I want me some of those.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Something that I love Nintendo saw ahead is everyone picking Marth, so they did a draft.

[Contentness Intensifies]

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I love this line at this end...

*Grand Finals is a 4-stock, 8-minute, 1-on-1 match on Battlefield as an homage to the competitive Smash Bros. community.
It clearly should have said:

"Grand Finals is a 4-stock, 8-minute, 1-on-1 match on Final Destination with no items as an homage to the competitive Smash Bros Community.

*Both players will be required to play as Fox"

Ridley22

Smash Ace
Just realized that Yoshi isn't playable. Invite the best Yoshi player and he can't even play Yoshi? Dat sucks

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Relevant Question: Does this mean Nintendo will start selling more gamecube controllers in store? Or is that too much to hope for? So much hype for this.
Considering the promotional art for the adapter features a Gamecube Controller with a Smash logo on it and one less ring on the analog I think it's a safe bet they're going to manufacture new versions of them. Would be pretty stupid of them to release and advertise an adapter for which you can't even buy the controllers anymore.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Oh my God I cannot wait to see DJ Nintendo (hopefully) destroy everyone with the new Bowser.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I'm sad about M2k and happy about everything else.
It's weird because M2k said to me one time he maybe could get the game a little before everyone else.

Maybe he is really beta-testing and Nintendo thinks it would be unfair ?
Or maybe I just trying to find excuses x___x

Anyway, hype for so many great players.
Ken and ZeRo are my personal pick. ZeRo (that is a Brawl-player) winning could help to change the image of how Brawl-skills are important.

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
Items on the first three rounds and a item-less finale on Battlefield now those are rules the whole community can get behind.

The hype is real.

luismvg

Smash Cadet
Grand Finals is a 4-stock, 8-minute, 1-on-1 match on Battlefield as an homage to the competitive Smash Bros. community

Holy ****!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That Gamecube controller... :awesome:

Also: to all you people who are preparing to complain because of items on, just remember that..

1. We're GETTING something.

2. It's a Nintendo sponsoring a competitive tournament.

3. A WIRED GC CONTROLLER. That alone is hype-worthy.

schavira

Smash Journeyman
Taking the rules into consideration I don't think we'll see a random spot, so might as well move WFT and Mac up to the other rows.
Couldn't an indecisive player choose random though and just stick with whatever character shows up for the rest of the tournament? Or I wonder if they will allow being a random character every match.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
DJNintendo gonna rep the new Bowser and it's gonna be glorious.

Player who picks Lil Mac will be eliminated first round. Calling it.

Ken and PPU are gonna fight for Marth.

aMSa there but no Yoshi or even Lucario LOL

No one is gonna pick DK or Zelda

PROG, D1 AND SCAR COMMENTATING HELL YEAH

HYPE

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Also, due to the draft (which I'm assuming means only one person can play any specific character), there's the possibility that the people whose mains ARE present won't be able to play them, because someone else already chose them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
EDIT: Nevermind.

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Did this whole leaked list come true?

1. Some names look familar.
Neither PC Chris nor Wizzrobe are there. The list is mostly right, though

So uh.

aMSa is there, but Yoshi isn't playable? lolol
aMSa probably wouldn't play as Yoshi anyway. He mains Lucario in Project M, so he'll likely continue to diversify his characters.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Also, due to the draft (which I'm assuming means only one person can play any specific character), there's the possibility that the people whose mains ARE present won't be able to play them, because someone else already chose them.
Clearly they should do a UFGT style auction draft. $1000 for Marth!

$5 for Little Mac!

(Actually Little Mac is probably pretty strong in FFA).

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I really doubt anyone is gonna use Bowser but DJNintendo lol.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
DJNintendo gonna rep the new Bowser and it's gonna be glorious.

Player who picks Lil Mac will be eliminated first round. Calling it.

Ken and PPU are gonna fight for Marth.

aMSa there but no Yoshi or even Lucario LOL

No one is gonna pick DK or Zelda

PROG, D1 AND SCAR COMMENTATING HELL YEAH

HYPE
PPMD plays Marth in Brawl and in Melee. I wouldn't be surprised if he chose Marth if given the opportunity either.

Top Bottom