• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. Invitational - Players/Rules Announced

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Nintendo made an announcement this morning regarding their upcoming plans for E3, and the big news is an invitational tournament hosted by Nintendo for thousands of players on the showroom floor at E3 in Los Angeles.

Simultaneously, Nintendo will once again be partnering with Best Buy to give players across the country access to the same Super Smash Bros demo so players can have local tournaments in their area.

More information to come.

UPDATE:

Here is the press release from Nintendo.
PLAY NINTENDO: NEW GAMES, NEW EVENTS AND LIVE, NONSTOP PROGRAMMING ON TAP FOR E3 2014

Super Smash Bros. Tournament Highlights Nintendo’s E3 Approach

REDMOND, Wash., April 29, 2014 – Over the last few years, Nintendo has repeatedly reinvented its approach to E3 by creating unique ways to break news and get fans at home involved in the fun, while also offering great experiences for on-site attendees. That mission continues in 2014 as Nintendo offers a series of new channels to communicate news directly to its key audiences, including fans, media, analysts, investors and business partners. This includes a new format for unveiling news: the Nintendo Digital Event; a Super Smash Bros. tournament; a full slate of live, in-depth game demos from the Nintendo booth; and an opportunity for fans to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U for the first time at their local Best Buy.

"We demonstrated last year that we are never afraid to reinvent a proven tactic or to break completely new ground if we believe it will provide the best experience for our fans, followers and partners," said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's president and chief operating officer. "So, whether you're attending E3 in person or joining online, there's an amazing lineup of games, experiences and events coming your way."

At E3 2014, Nintendo will offer four unique experiences, all under the unifying banner of "Play Nintendo."

Super Smash Bros. Invitational
2014 will see the arrival of not one, but two new Super Smash Bros. games: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. To commemorate this occasion, Nintendo is inviting 16 highly skilled Super Smash Bros. players to the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles to compete in a Super Smash Bros. for Wii U tournament. Thousands of fans in the audience and countless more watching a live stream online will see new Super Smash Bros. characters clash with existing favorites in action for the first time. More important than declaring a winner, however, this event is a celebration of all things Super Smash Bros., and a great way for new and veteran fans to take part in a tribute to this legendary franchise. More information about the 16 invited participants in the tournament, the identity of the announcers, and how fans of the franchise can view the tournament in person and via webcast, will be communicated shortly.

Nintendo Digital Event
Every year, Nintendo looks for the best way to show its games and share its news with fans, media and other key audiences. In 2013, Nintendo decided to forgo a traditional press conference and use a video – in that case a Nintendo Direct – to share its news from E3. The company is building on that approach at E3 2014 with the "Nintendo Digital Event," a new kind of video program that will reveal and provide further detail about the gaming experiences on the way for Nintendo platforms in 2014 and beyond. The Nintendo Digital Event will air at 9 a.m. PT on Tuesday, June 10.

Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3
This year, Nintendo will offer fans a deeper look at Nintendo's biggest games of E3, with information directly from the source. The "Treehouse," the Product Development department at Nintendo of America, will provide in-depth game demos live and unscripted from Nintendo's booth. This new program will be live streamed during all hours of the E3 show. Fans can get settled in, open their browsers and experience the Nintendo games at E3 like never before.

Super Smash Bros. Smash Fest @ Best Buy
In 2013, Nintendo broke new ground by expanding its E3 activities outside of the walls of the Los Angeles Convention Center and letting fans play some of the games being played on the show floor at participating Best Buy stores. The partnership between Nintendo and Best Buy continues in 2014 and will mark the first time around the world that fans have had the opportunity to get their hands on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
UPDATE 2:

Players:
Lilian "milktea" Chen
Hugo "HugS" Gonzalez
Ken "LiquidKen" Hoang
Daniel "LiquidKDJ" Jung
Neha "Lilo" Chhetri
Hendrick "DJNintendo" Pilar
Kris "Toph" Aldenderfer
Sam "PeachyHime" McNaughton
Juan "Crs.Hungrybox" Debiedma
Kevin "PewPewU" Toy
Kevin "EG PPMD" Nanney
Dakota "TheRapture" Lasky
Cristin "Crismas" DeSaro
McCain "MacD" LaVelle
Masaya "aMsa" Chikamoto
Gonzalo "CT ZeRo" Barrios

Announcers:
Wynton "Prog" Smith
Bobby "Scar" Scarnewman
D'Ron "D1" Maingrette

Host:
Geoff Keighley
Playable characters (There will be a draft):
Little Mac, ZSS, Bowser, WFT, Marth, Mega Man, Pit, Villager, Pikachu, Mario, Link, Kirby, Samus, Rosalina, Sonic, Donkey Kong, Greninja, Olimar, Zelda, Fox

Rules:
http://e3.nintendo.com/invitational/info.html
Gamecube controller adapter will be available for use

Last edited by a moderator:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Smash Bros. at Best Buy? I might need a new pair of pants.
And monitor.

And a therapy sesh for my neighbors. Sorry neighbors.

Last edited:

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Lol moderator thread hijack :troll:. Oh well embedded is nicer anyway so points to you I suppose. My point still stands though, I still think it could easily be a trap for tournament wise players so they can weed out advanced techniques or anything else we find. If any of us go to this (which it will happen) we should be careful and make sure any Nintendo reps are not watching. Fool me once etc. :happysheep:

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
M2K vs Mango GF at Hyrule Castle with all items get hype

no seriously this would be extremely entertaining

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
That update...my god m2k if you get invited dont play like a fruit for the love of god. For once you'll have to care how you play. :sadsheep: Sakurai will get analpained and will nerf everything THROUGH the floor.

Last edited:

Gliffie

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1906-3068
Lol moderator thread hijack :troll:. Oh well embedded is nicer anyway so points to you I suppose. My point still stands though, I still think it could easily be a trap for tournament wise players so they can weed out advanced techniques or anything else we find. If any of us go to this (which it will happen) we should be careful and make sure any Nintendo reps are not watching. Fool me once etc. :happysheep:
Sounds a bit paranoid, and besides I don't think we could find new advanced techniques in the duration of a tournament that professional play testers can't find in months. I'm more worried about this being a press invitational. Maybe this is the thing Triforce was talking about with m2k/Armada and Nintendo? Eh...

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I would just like to point out that it's an opportunity for fans to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, so not the 3DS version.

Last edited:

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Sounds a bit paranoid, and besides I don't think we could find new advanced techniques in the duration of a tournament that professional play testers can't find in months. I'm more worried about this being a press invitational. Maybe this is the thing Triforce was talking about with m2k/Armada and Nintendo? Eh...
That's exactly what happened with Brawl, it's more than paranoia.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Hmm Interesting to see how this all plays out, this E3 will definitely be interesting.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
They better release this demo via eShop worldwide, otherwise I'll have to say something like "Americans, you lucky ********".

*Braces self for "U jelly" sort of comments*

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
I would just like to point out that an opportunity for fans to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, so not the 3DS version.
Just saw it, thanks :D. This is pretty amazing news to say the least! The fact that it's a tournament is even more proof that sakurai does care about the competitive scene :)

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I can't wait to try this out

IN ENGLAND!

When I buy the full version of the game because its unlikely England will experience a demo version this june... :(

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Hell yes! This is what I wanted to see!
I'm going to Best Buy to play the demo and I want to see the tournament up and running, hoping for no dittos.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I can't wait to try this out

IN ENGLAND!

When I buy the full version of the game because its unlikely England will experience a demo version this june... :(
I know that feel. :(

I sure hope Europe gets something, but I don't think it's likely. They could at least release the demo on the eShop, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

(I plan on getting a Wii U this summer...)

Gliffie

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1906-3068
So, which 16 players do y'all think will be invited? Melee top 5 + some older legends + top Brawl players? Maybe they're trying to make a point in having people from all over the world, so some Japan and LatAm players (aMSa and Zero?). Maybe some female players? Don't know who that would be though.

EDIT: Of course they have to invite the man, the myth, the legend: CPU!

Last edited:

MontyMonterson

Smash Rookie
Seems incredibly cruel and disrespectful to host a competitive tournament with skilled players only to use that to completely nerf the game. I'm hoping Nintendo realizes how big the smash scene has become and is using this as an opportunity to show how the game will appeal to both competitive and casual audiences, one again emphasizing how Smash 4 will be the perfect balance between Brawl and Melee. Either way I'm hyped.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
So, which 16 players do y'all think will be invited? Melee top 5 + some older legends + top Brawl players? Maybe they're trying to make a point in having people from all over the world, so some Japan and LatAm players (aMSa and Zero?). Maybe some female players? Don't know who that would be though.
They'll probably get people from the smash doc at least, I think that those videos have gained enough notoriety that the players noted within it would be invited.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
And then have the kid get flattened publicly over the internet? That would be very sweet of them.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
Well, crap. The closest Best Buy store is 2 hours away...

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
And then have the kid get flattened publicly over the internet? That would be very sweet of them.
I mean, it'd have to be an adorable kid. One of those quiet ones that constantly smiles and mutters cute things.

Top Bottom