• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. Invitational - Players/Rules Announced

juddy96

Smash Lord

Players:

Lilian "milktea" Chen
Hugo "HugS" Gonzalez
Ken "LiquidKen" Hoang
Daniel "LiquidKDJ" Jung
Neha "Lilo" Chhetri
Hendrick "DJNintendo" Pilar
Kris "Toph" Aldenderfer
Sam "PeachyHime" McNaughton
Juan "Crs.Hungrybox" Debiedma
Kevin "PewPewU" Toy
Kevin "EG PPMD" Nanney
Dakota "TheRapture" Lasky
Cristin "Crismas" DeSaro
McCain "MacD" LaVelle
Masaya "aMSa" Chikamoto
Gonzalo "CT ZeRo" Barrios

Announcers:

Wynton "Prog" Smith
Bobby "Scar" Scarnewman
D'Ron "D1" Maingrette

Host:

Geoff Keighley

Playable characters:

Little Mac, ZSS, Bowser, WFT, Marth, Mega Man, Pit, Villager, Pikachu, Mario, Link, Kirby, Samus, Rosalina, Sonic, Donkey Kong, Greninja, Olimar, Zelda, Fox

Rules:

1 character per player for entire tournament (picked draft-style)
Single Elimination
4 Players, 4 Stock, 5 min
Top 2 advance from each battle
Rounds 1, 2, 3 : items on
Grand final: items off, 1 vs. 1 on Battlefield

Gamecube controller adapter is usable as well!

Last edited:

fissionprime

Smash Apprentice
Oh my goodness, the roster is amazing. When I saw the first screen of four players, I figured that that leaked list was correct, but then we get HBox and aMSa? And then Prog and D1 both for commentary. This is everything I could have hoped for

Edit: and then I see the rules...

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
Just added the players, announcers, host, and playable characters into the video post.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So judging by the trailer, I guess these are the playable characters within the tournament?

- Little Mac
- Zero Suit Samus
- Bowser
- Wii Fit Trainer
- Marth
- Megaman
- Pit
- Villager
- Pikachu
- Mario
- Link
- Kirby
- Samus
- Rosalina
- Sonic
- Donkey Kong
- Greninja
- Olimar
- Zelda
- Fox McCloud

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oh, my. Nintendo, you glorious ********.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
OMG GAMECUBE CONTROLLER ADAPTER.

Nintendo's pulling out all the stops to make this the best darn Smash anniversary ever!

juddy96

Smash Lord
Players, announcers, host, characters, rules added to the video post. Items on until the final round.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Wtf no M2K. I was about to rage, but then I saw Amsa and HungryBox, thus everything wented better than expected.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm kinda disappointed with the 4 player thing and items on though for the invitational of rounds 1, 2,3 and four.

Oh well.

GFs is single and no items, which is great. The whole thing is great, very good step for Nintendo.

And Gamecube Controller Adapter has all of my yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Go Nintendo.

fissionprime

Smash Apprentice
Wtf no M2K. I was about to rage, but then I saw Amsa and HungryBox, thus everything wented better than expected.
I think the thing with M2k is that he's had some occasional behavior issues in the past, so Nintendo might not want him representing Smash 4 at the event. Same thing I would say for Mango, and Leffen to an extent. I'm just happy that we got all of the heavy hitters from the "leak" a week ago, and the new people were aMSa and HBox.

JCAndre

Smash Apprentice
But this was obvious, Nintendo want to show you the whole game and I'm ok with that.
Yeah it's not a serious tournament and it's just for fun, plus Nintendo probably wants it to move fast. Anyone who complains about Nintendo not recognizing the competitive community is insane at this point. I mean they are giving us a way to use WIRED GameCube controllers.Maybe the number one concern among tourney goers when it comes to SSB4

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The commentator choices are perfect, the roster of players is solid even with the exclusion of M2K and Mango (my man HBox being there is enough), the character roster is pretty good, and the Gamecube Adapter is great news so that we'll actually have wired controllers and hopefully they'll start manufacturing them again. I don't really like Geoff Keighley, but I guess I can stomach him here since he will be gone once the matches start.

There's a problem though, and that's that items are allowed until the Grand Finals, and while I understand they want to showcase them it'll feel really cheap if someone is outed because of Dragoon or something to that effect. It reduces it to a not-so-serious tournament. It's not going to kill the experience, but it'd certainly have been better without them.

Last edited:

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

It's directly wired.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
The commentator choices are perfect, the roster of players is solid even with the exclusion of M2K and Mango (my man HBox being there is enough), the character roster is pretty good, and the Gamecube Adapter is great news so that we'll actually have wired controllers and hopefully they'll start manufacturing them again. I don't really like Geoff Keighley, but I guess I can stomach him here since he will be gone once the matches start.

There's a problem though, and that's that items are allowed until the Grand Finals, and while I understand they want to showcase them it'll feel really cheap if someone is outed because of Dragoon or something to that effect. It reduces it to a not-so-serious tournament. It's not going to kill the experience, but it'd certainly have been better without them.
Yes, but this event doesn't even seem to have a prize. I'm sure they're more interested in selecting 16 trustworthy players and a ruleset that highlights both the casual play experience as well as the competitive play experience. It could be worse, there could be no 1v1 no items at the end.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
To be fair, it's pretty good from what I expected. Nintendo still wants to reinforce the essence of Smash Bros. that is the randomness of 4-players with items. But doesn't want to leave the competitive players empty handed by giving them a 1vs1 final (and in Battlefield instead of Final Destination, even better).
The best thing for me is the announcers. D1 is pretty cool in my book.
In any case, let us be ready and embrace this invitational as something that could mean great things in the future of Smash Bros. and Nintendo.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

As someone that used to play a lot of casual matches competitively with friends back in my melee days, something like the Dragoon isn't the problem. Most items can be avoided or played against, especially when it's not 1 v 1. The real problem is randomly spawning bob-ombs and exploding pills. Those can kill any sort of competitive play as they can literally spawn on top of you and cost you a stock.

Should be fun to see skilled played playing like this, though. Not something you see often.

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
Lol, Nintendo stabbed Toon Link mains in the heart by having regular Link playable.

It's a sad life for us Toon Link fans. :(

But omg, Greninja and all the other newcomers are playable! Hype activated.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Wow, I...wow. Just wow. That is WAY more conscious of the competitive scene than I was expecting. Like my jaw is kind of on the floor right now.

Like people have said the FFA items on for most matches is likely for promotional purposes(and to level the playing field), but that final round is still going to be obscene exposure for competitive Smash and something competitive Smash fans can enjoy. And on Battlefeild! Not even Final destination like the stereotype, they went battlefield! It's like they've actually been doing extensive research or something!

So draft means only one player for each character I take it(again, for promotional purposes I'm sure). That should be reeeeaaaally interesting.

I don't even like completive Smash and this is exciting!

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yes, but this event doesn't even seem to have a prize. I'm sure they're more interested in selecting 16 trustworthy players and a ruleset that highlights both the casual play experience as well as the competitive play experience. It could be worse, there could be no 1v1 no items at the end.
Yeah, I'm still very happy it has turned out as good as it has, but man we were so close to hitting home run. Like I said though, it'll hardly ruin the experience, and I'm personally interested in seeing the items in action too, but I would still have prefered items not being there at all. In the end it's no big deal.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Updated the thread with the new info.

Am bummed that there will 20 characters but only 16 people. We better at least see all the newcomers used.

Either way the best news by far is the Gamecube adapter IMO.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
This is pretty exciting, even despite the flaws (items and free-for-all for the preliminary rounds.) I can't wait!

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
Updated the thread with the new info.

Am bummed that there will 20 characters but only 16 people. We better at least see all the newcomers used.

Either way the best news by far is the Gamecube adapter IMO.

Yeah, about that, there's a risk that the newcomers won't all get picked.

Hopefully they do, but yeah, could happen.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
Wow! I'm pretty floored to be honest. Much better than I had ever hoped. Sure the rules are kinda silly, but 1v1 on Battlefield, No Items for finals! Prog, D1 and Scar as announcers! aMSa, Hungrybox, HugS, PewPewU... can't really complain with that. Should be a fun tournament regardless. And dat Gamecube adapter..! :O

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Loved the sexy portrayal of the GC controller. :seuss:

Also did the whole leaked list come true?
  1. Categorized by Real name - Alias
  2. Players:
  3. Kevin Toy - PewPewU
  4. McCain LaVelle - MacD
  5. Christopher Szygiel - PC Chris
  6. Daniel Jung - KoreanDJ
  7. Lilian Wei - Milktea
  8. Gonzalo Barrios - ZeRo
  9. Neha Chhetri - Lilo
  10. Kevin Nanney - PPMD
  11. Kris Aldenderfer - Toph
  12. Hendrick Pilar - DJ Nintendo
  13. Dakota Lasky - Rapture
  14. Justin Hallett - Wizzrobe
  15. Samantha McNaughton - Peachyhime
  16. Hugo Gonzalez - HugS
  17. Ken Hoang - Ken
  18. Cristin DeSaro - Crismas
  19. Commentators:
  20. D'Ron Maingrette - D1
  21. Wynton Smith - Prog

Last edited:

Mayday

Smash Cadet
Smaller things to take away from the announcement:
Characters that are confirmed that won't be playable - :4charizard::4yoshi::4tlink::4myfriends::4diddy::4dedede::4sheik::4luigi::4lucario::4peach:

Finale on Battlefield, not FD. Maybe a change in For Glory mode

Top Bottom