• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 speculation: Any more to come?

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I definitely think there will be three characters announced, but I'm willing to bet at least one of them is a veteran.

We have five newcomers already, and the speculated April Direct would bring that number up to six. I'm not sure about having nine newcomers revealed once E3 is over. Sakurai seems like the type of person who would want to keep of tricks up his sleeve. He probably only revealed three newcomers last year because it was the big reveal of the game.
What about, two Newcomers (Ridley and Mii/Pac-Man), and Mewtwo? That'd be great E3 reveals.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Children, children! Keep your hype in check.

I expect one character, hope for more. Expectations higher than that will get you disappointed.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
What about, two Newcomers (Ridley and Mii/Pac-Man), and Mewtwo? That'd be great E3 reveals.
I was thinking something along those lines. It ticks all the boxes: third-party, highly demanded and 'WTF'.

Do you think there will be a Smash Bros. Nintendo Direct coming up? They would surely want to save some announcements for that if so.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
As far as E3 goes, I'm betting Mewtwo and probably a third-party(Pac-Man/Snake) and I will be more than happy. I'd prefer some actually game-play footage and info on modes other than versus at this point. Full on matches, not just 30 second clips. That would make my life.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I was thinking something along those lines. It ticks all the boxes: third-party, highly demanded and 'WTF'.

Do you think there will be a Smash Bros. Nintendo Direct coming up? They would surely want to save some announcements for that if so.
This post was on Thursday.

banner-direct.png
This was announced the following day.

..TELL US YOUR SECRETS!!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well we got 5 characters in a direct so I don't think it'll be too much to expect multiple newcomers for E3 now, especially considerign it's coming August at the latest.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I think it'll depend on how many characters they want to keep secret for the game. Most of Brawls unlockables were veterans, so most of the surprises were revealed before game release, a fact many people have criticized. While I think some of the Newcomers may be unlockable (Greninja doesn't seem like a starter to me), I'm hoping Sakurai won't tip his hand on all the Newcomers.

That said, assuming they haven't been revealed before then, some of the probable starters like Wario, Ice Climbers, and Metaknight would be obvious reveals to include. Then, I'd expect 2-3 newcomers, a highly requested character (Mewtwo, K.Rool, Palutena, etc), Mii, and possibly a Third Party. While we saw a Mii in the Find Mii stage, I don't think they should be counted out as Miis were everywhere in Mario Kart Wii, but you could still race as them.

I'm also expecting their to be at a minimum a press demo, possibly more with the game coming out in Summer for 3DS.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think it'll depend on how many characters they want to keep secret for the game. Most of Brawls unlockables were veterans, so most of the surprises were revealed before game release, a fact many people have criticized. While I think some of the Newcomers may be unlockable (Greninja doesn't seem like a starter to me), I'm hoping Sakurai won't tip his hand on all the Newcomers.

That said, assuming they haven't been revealed before then, some of the probable starters like Wario, Ice Climbers, and Metaknight would be obvious reveals to include. Then, I'd expect 2-3 newcomers, a highly requested character (Mewtwo, K.Rool, Palutena, etc), Mii, and possibly a Third Party. While we saw a Mii in the Find Mii stage, I don't think they should be counted out as Miis were everywhere in Mario Kart Wii, but you could still race as them.

I'm also expecting their to be at a minimum a press demo, possibly more with the game coming out in Summer for 3DS.
I think Greninja is a starter.

I mean, Greninja is literally a starter.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Do you think they'll make an even bigger deal of the E3 than they did during the smash Bros direct?

Last night we got 1 newcomer and 4 veterans.

We could see veterans like Ice Climbers and Ness at E3 since there isn't any other good time to show them off.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Do you think they'll make an even bigger deal of the E3 than they did during the smash Bros direct?

Last night we got 1 newcomer and 4 veterans.

We could see veterans like Ice Climbers and Ness at E3 since there isn't any other good time to show them off.
There's NES Remix 2 for the Ice Climbers but yeah. Seems the sane thing to do.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Its very likely they will show a bit more news on SSB Wii U and 3DS.

I am sort of hoping that they will explain the connection between the 3DS and Wii-U, moves customization (as stated via the Smash Direct) and in addition, new character and modes unveils.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I expect one more new comer before E3 starts. If the 3DS version has not come out at that point, I expect E3 to reveal the release date of the game or to say that the game is being sold.

The amount of New comers I suspect at E3 are 1, 2 if we are lucky.

The new comers I expect are Palutena and then Isaac.

Palutena shows up first and Isaac when talking about Assist Trophies, just for trolling purposes.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I think they'll make a big deal about it - Think about it, this is one of the last things that can actually save the Wii U and it's one of their only huge 3DS releases the whole year. Last year was just a teaser trailer, and the game is in far more of a good state than Brawl ever was.

I'm not saying we should expect the entire roster, but don't be surprised and don't let pessimism get to you.

Also, real fast: Didn't Sakurai say no cutscenes because of people spoiling them online? Let's just hypothetically say we have no secret characters, which isn't impossible. Put two and two together, and well...

(I mean christ, we're on 29 reveals now. 29.)

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I just posted this in the Character discussion thread, sharing it here:

At E3, I predict 5-8 characters (a mix of newcomers and veterans), and then the rest will remain hidden, and revealed on the website upon 3DS release.

The characters I think will stay hidden until release will be:
  • Ganondorf
  • Captain Falcon
  • Ness or Lucas
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • R.O.B.
  • Falco
  • Wolf
  • Jigglypuff
The characters left after that are Wario, Ice Climbers, Meta Knight, one of Ness or Lucas, Ike, and Snake. I say Ice Climbers, Wario, and an Earthbound kid we'll get before E3, then we're down to 3: Meta Knight, Ike, and Snake. That's 3 veterans that can be shown at E3. 3 Veterans, and then 3 newcomers will be a great E3.

Not to mention that Snake, Ike, and Meta Knight are the perfect veterans to be shown off at E3.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
What I'm thinking will definitely happen:
-3DS release date
-a newcomer
-some new stages
-couple veterans
-playable demo

What I'm thinking will might happen:
-Wii U release date
-2-3 newcomers
-several veterans
-Wii U exclusive mode
-3DS opening cutscene

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I was expecting Miis to be revealed when they showed them in the GSP graphic video. They also may serve as a stage hazard like the Yellow Devil, where players race to break the cage open for the Mii. While these do hinder their chances, I agree with you they still aren't out yet.

Definitely think we'll see a more solid release date

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm guessing Ridley, Pac man and King K. Rool are probably gonna be shown then.
Plus 8 veterans, like they did for last years E3

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
I really don't want Pac-Man to be in the game...I really, really don't...

The only thing I'm going to say for definite is that we'll definitely get a couple of veterans and newcomers at E3.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The number of newcomers in the starting roster seems kind of low. I have no doubt that Megaman is unlockable so that would leave 5 newcomers at most at this current time, which was the same as Melee. Brawl, on the other hand, had 12 (if you count all of PTs Pokemon and ZSS) so I wouldn't be surprised if we got 2 or 3 more revealed at E3 to help close this gap.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This to see this thread back in action. I just hope the direct didn't spoil and/or crush anyone.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
PacMan? You do realize that Sakurai has already said Namco Bandai characters don't get priority, right?
Are you STILL onto this? How many identical explonations do you need? :/

Anyways, my E3 character predictions.

Chrom
Ghirahim/Ganon/Ganondorf/Tingle
Palutena
Ridley

Going by the Trophy Theory right now. It would be awesome.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
The Trophy Theory actually seems legit to me. He was totally teasing with the Pseudo-Palutena thing. Let's go Chrom.
Yeah, especially the Palutena one. XD He knows very well that we expect Palutena.
And that King Kihunter Trophy felt extremely random to me. Not just to show in the Direct, but as a Trophy at all. Not a character I'd expect to get one. And there's Three Metroid Assists now even. I do feel Ridley is coming (and after a lot of analysis and such, it is very likely, but I won't argue with anyone and just see what happens). And Chrom of course. Not sure exactly what character he could be teasing with Fi, though.

Anyways, excluding characters, I expect a New Big Mode for the Wii-U version to be shown off. Oh, and I expect to see Master Hand. :)

Jackson

Smash Lord
Yeah, especially the Palutena one. XD He knows very well that we expect Palutena.
And that King Kihunter Trophy felt extremely random to me. Not just to show in the Direct, but as a Trophy at all. Not a character I'd expect to get one. And there's Three Metroid Assists now even. I do feel Ridley is coming (and after a lot of analysis and such, it is very likely, but I won't argue with anyone and just see what happens). And Chrom of course. Not sure exactly what character he could be teasing with Fi, though.

Anyways, excluding characters, I expect a New Big Mode for the Wii-U version to be shown off. Oh, and I expect to see Master Hand. :)
Yeah, sounds like good stuff. I actually think the Ridley shadow was a tease as well, and the Fi trophy was representing Girahim.

Top Bottom