• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 Rumor/Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Why is everyone so set on character series being in columns instead of rows? I personally think rows make far more sense in our new widescreen era, sort of how @ CapnMuffin CapnMuffin had his CSS laid out. Everyone keeps going on the idea of columns though, which really limits the amount of representatives allowed for each series.

Far as I know, Brawl is the only game that used columns. Melee and Smash 64 both used rows to display series, and I hope they go that route again.

Personally, I'm thinking we're gonna get a four-rowed set up, either 4x12 which would give us 47 characters and one random, or 4x13 which would give us 51 characters and one random. 4x13 almost seems more plausible to me, because then they can advertise on the package that the game has "over 50 characters!" :p

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Why is everyone so set on character series being in columns instead of rows? I personally think rows make far more sense in our new widescreen era, sort of how @ CapnMuffin CapnMuffin had his CSS laid out. Everyone keeps going on the idea of columns though, which really limits the amount of representatives allowed for each series.

Far as I know, Brawl is the only game that used columns. Melee and Smash 64 both used rows to display series, and I hope they go that route again.

Personally, I'm thinking we're gonna get a four-rowed set up, either 4x12 which would give us 47 characters and one random, or 4x13 which would give us 51 characters and one random. 4x13 almost seems more plausible to me, because then they can advertise on the package that the game has "over 50 characters!" :p
I'm with Bauske. I don't see why it's necessary to be so dogmatic about the characters being ordered according to columns. It made sense for Brawl because of how many characters were in the game and how many characters were in each franchise. They selected the arrangement that made the most sense FOR THAT GAME according to how much room they had to work with.

Generally speaking, if they're required to work with about the same amount of space, but with about 15 more characters, it's not necessarily optimal to use the same arrangement scheme, because as I said before, it would force the character portraits to be extremely rectangular.

Also, I think people are reading too much into the fact that it's blurry. Again, it's easy to take a blurry photo, especially given the lighting conditions here. Smartphone cameras require a steady have a low lighting because when there's less light, you have to expose the image for a longer period of time in order to pick up anything with the photo sensor.

Yes, blur is often used to hide imperfections, but it's also reasonable for a real photo of the real thing. I don't think blur should be primary evidence against this thing.

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
@ Artsy Omni Artsy Omni
So, anything new on that recent leaked Demo Screen? You seem to have gotten popular with debunking stuff, so I thought I'd ask you specifically. ^^
No new developments. The photo is too blurry to scrutinize. My gut feeling right now is that it's legitimate, but my head tells me to remain skeptical.

Hmm.... just finished reading through the posts I missed. Good catch on the back button, guys. That's a substantial difference.... is there any logical reason why they would use a different back button on 2 different menus?

Or could this be attributed to the fact that it might have changed in the few weeks it's been since that My Music menu was shown? After all, showing the button to press DOES better communicate to the player what he has to do.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Sal's "leak" would have a TON more weight to it had he predicted Rosalina. IMO, she's the only inlusion that would have been hard to guess at the time he posted his prediction (as that was before she was announced to be in SM3DW, it was only after SM3DW that people started taking note of her). The fact that Little Mac's trailer wouldn't have been able to have been shown at E3 almost completely debunks his first leak anyway. And the second one doesn't have anything going for it aside from predicting "pokemon from x/y", which we all did.

The thing that's really got me is that I don't understand how the slots will push around. The top row's fine, but the 2nd row has characters in weird places where I don't know that it'd properly move them into themed spots.

For example, for Pikachu to be on the top line in the final roster, he'd have to skip past Sonic.

And for the record, the top is not in chronological order: Fire Emblem predates Kirby & Star Fox.

By extension, Brawl isn't either. This is because, it DOES copy SSB64's order (minus moving Yoshi), which WAS in chronological order (minus secret characters), but the inclusion of characters not in 64 messes it up.

Anyway, like I said, if characters were bumping around, Pikachu would still be *after* Marth and Sonic, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless he pulls some Melee Magic and swaps into the top row in a different spot when Luigi appears.

Otherwise, Pikachu would be the LAST column on the top:
Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Marth, Sonic, Pikachu

Pretty damn sure that's not happening.

So if real:
- Pikachu moves to a completely different location and isn't actually bumped
- The demo doesn't actually reflect the final CSS's movement in any way
- The CSS will not even sort of function the way we think it will

Unless I am missing something.

Are you trying to suggest that Fire Emblem Awakening wasn't FE's highly successful rebirth? The game that had feedback that surprised Nintendo and essentially saved the series?

Series went away from the West and skipped a game, and the previous two before FE:A were remakes. It was also one of the most successful, and just happened, and FE's crossing over with SMT.

I feel like FE & DK are in the same exact boat. They are equally likely to get a new character, simply because of their return to the sub-spotlight.

Yeah I reckon rows are more likely this time around. Columns won't fit downwards for Pokemon without it looking gross, having it going into different columns. I did my prediction with 4x13, I posted it a few pages back, I definitely think that's the most likely format. Be it 52, or 51 with a random square.

And I believe we've had a different layout for each game so far, so I don't see how this'd be any different.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Guys, not to play backseat mod, but we've been warned to keep this thread on-topic already. Let's cut the character discussion and Gematsu leak talk. =P

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Someone on Gamefaqs brought up a good point about the leak that may have been answered here, but I'd like to ask now.
Since the Chorus Men english name is Glee Club, why does the leak have Chrom's English name, but not there's?

Now I'm not saying this proves anything about the leak, but I kind of found that interesting.

Since E3 is in the US when they are announced here, wouldn't they be called Glee Club?

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace

This is my predicted roster if we are going by the 5 x 10. I think a 4 x 12/13 is unlikely because if they would go the column route, they wouldn't be able to fit the Mario Franchise into a single column with Rosalina.

Anyway I set the columns like this:

C1: The Mario Column

C2: Mario Sub-Column. Added Little Mac because he fights DK in Punch Out.

C3: Zelda Column

C4: Pokemon Column

C5: Sakurai Column (I would replace Palutena with Bandana Dee, but that's sadly unlikely)

C6: Space Column

C7: Old School RPG Column

C8: High Tech Column. (Ice Climbers are hard to master, and I assume Chorus Men would function similarly to Ice Climbers.)

C9: Other Column

C10: Special Column, 3rd parties, Mii, and Random.
I'd be perfectly happy with this roster tbh

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
No new developments. The photo is too blurry to scrutinize. My gut feeling right now is that it's legitimate, but my head tells me to remain skeptical.

Hmm.... just finished reading through the posts I missed. Good catch on the back button, guys. That's a substantial difference.... is there any logical reason why they would use a different back button on 2 different menus?

Or could this be attributed to the fact that it might have changed in the few weeks it's been since that My Music menu was shown? After all, showing the button to press DOES better communicate to the player what he has to do.
I see. ^^ thank you. I, too, sorta Believes it. For now. But if it is fake, I am sure some minor detail will be found soon enough.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Someone on Gamefaqs brought up a good point about the leak that may have been answered here, but I'd like to ask now.
Since the Chorus Men english name is Glee Club, why does the leak have Chrom's English name, but not there's?

Now I'm not saying this proves anything about the leak, but I kind of found that interesting.

Since E3 is in the US when they are announced here, wouldn't they be called Glee Club?
Glee Club was the name of the mini game they were in, not their names specifically. Chorus Men is more of a general name for them. I believe it's similar to "Pokemon from X and Y" or "Animal Crossing Guy" in that regard. For all we know, and most people are assuming this, it could be a trio of characters working together at all times. Or, as I see it, it could be just one of them. To take the leak for its exact words when it's been slightly vague beforehand would be a bad move.

As it's been discussed in the Sal thread, I have a feeling Sal's leaker had the initial roster list for information, back when the specifics were still being decided, so he didn't know anything more than what was on that list. They may not have decided on a Pokemon at the time he got his information, just like they may not have decided on how they were going to work the Chorus Men or Chorus Man. But, again, that's all speculation and we'll just have to see when the game comes out in a couple months.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I know I'm no expert, but I have a thought concerning the rows vs colums/general size of the roster.

I think a huge difference that we're not taking into account is that it's going to be HD, and the icons can be quite a bit smaller now, but still easily recognizable, right?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Is there anything we can glean from the new CSS leak, besides which characters will be in the demo?

I remember someone saying that certain characters, like Luigi and Falco, could be extrapolated from the positioning of characters in the Brawl demo.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I doubt highly that it's real, but the number of character on this CSS leak is a lot more realistic than the last one.

Is there anything we can glean from the new CSS leak, besides which characters will be in the demo?

I remember someone saying that certain characters, like Luigi and Falco, could be extrapolated from the positioning of characters in the Brawl demo.
I don't think so.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni

I think anybody who thinks they can extrapolate information about the final roster from this image is fooling themselves. =P

CapnMuffin

Smash Apprentice
I highly doubt the blur was unintentional. There's no motion blur here, just out of focus. Meaning the picture was taken when the phone/camera was held steady. The time it takes a digital device to achieve focus from that distance is about 0.5 seconds, 1 at most. Lighting is moot because the subject is backlit itself. To get this picture you would have to take it during that half a second between not moving the camera and coming into focus. Seems unlikely.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I highly doubt the blur was unintentional. There's no motion blur here, just out of focus. Meaning the picture was taken when the phone/camera was held steady. The time it takes a digital device to achieve focus from that distance is about 0.5 seconds, 1 at most. Lighting is moot because the subject is backlit itself. To get this picture you would have to take it during that half a second between not moving the camera and coming into focus. Seems unlikely.
So... most likely fake?

CapnMuffin

Smash Apprentice
Not sure. Just offering some facts. I mean I guess it's also possible they used some ghetto spy pen camera or something they bought at Toys R Us...

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Hmm, I disagree. To me, it has a very obvious motion blur. =P

See the top left corner? It's got those sharp corners (replicated on the green shape), which is characteristic of a motion blur. The top right and bottom left characteristics of the type are still discernible as a result, but the top left and bottom right of the type is hard to characterize.

Here's a photo I took with my smart phone of this very screen:

Behold, motion blur! The difference is that when I took this photo, the trajectory my hands took included a pause somewhere during the exposure, so a clearer impression was still made at some point during the taking of this photo.

So the scenario might play out like this: the guy whips out his phone and hits the button in the middle of his motion. If the screen really is providing enough light, the exposure will only last a brief moment, but if he's moving fast enough, it'll result in the very consistent motion blur you see in this photo.

Again, hypothetical, but nothing about this blur is suspicious, in my opinion.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I personally think we're getting a roster of 49. I posted my reasoning on Reddit (not sure if I'm allowed to link to it here). Essentially, we currently have 30 confirmed characters, and adding the rest of the Brawl cast minus possibly 4 characters (I argued Squirtle & Ivysaur, along with Falco and Lucas would be cut because of custom move sets but those were just estimated cuts) it brings us up to a cast size of about 41.

So that gives us a total of 35 vets and 6 newcomers. I imagine the roster will be 5 by 9-11, so that gives us a total of either 44, 49 or 54 slots (the final slot being the random space). 49 seems like the most accurate balance (approx 35 vets and 14 new characters).

Mii's look unlikely at this point in time considering their seemingly stage related presence to Find Mii (Toon Link and Ridley are similar cases but not exactly)
The stage doesn't really indicate anything about whether or not miis are playable. I know some people guessed that the mii's absence in the cage at some points could be indicative of miis being playable, but I don't think the two are related. For one, the mii isn't a unique character. You could have 4 miis fighting and still have one in the cage. Second I think the reason we see the caged mii in some screenshots and not others is because they're a part of the stage gimmick. Assuming the green dragon is a boss character, it wouldn't surprise me if the mii unleashes a special, colour based attack as a reward to whoever kills the dragon.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I think an issue for this new CSS leak is the back button itself. While it's been discussed that it's different from the My Music one, if I'm remembering correctly, all B did in past smash games was deselect your current character, not take you back a menu page. As a result, I don't think the demo (or actual roster) would have the B button on the arrow.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I think an issue for this new CSS leak is the back button itself. While it's been discussed that it's different from the My Music one, if I'm remembering correctly, all B did in past smash games was deselect your current character, not take you back a menu page. As a result, I don't think the demo (or actual roster) would have the B button on the arrow.
Actually, if you hold B, it backs out of the menu after a set amount of time, which was represented by the background of the Back button in the corner slowly getting filled with another color. When the background was completely filled, it backed out.

D

Deleted member

Actually, just tapping B deselected your character, but holding down B for a couple seconds does take you back to previous menus.(Holding the button was only required for the CSS. For other screens, you only needed to tap.)

spader13

Smash Journeyman
Actually, if you hold B, it backs out of the menu after a set amount of time, which was represented by the background of the Back button in the corner slowly getting filled with another color. When the background was completely filled, it backed out.
Ah, that's an interesting detail. I always just clicked the arrow. I suppose they could have made that more explicit in the new design, but it might also just confuse people if they press B and release and wonder why nothing happened.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I personally think we're getting a roster of 49. I posted my reasoning on Reddit (not sure if I'm allowed to link to it here). Essentially, we currently have 30 confirmed characters, and adding the rest of the Brawl cast minus possibly 4 characters (I argued Squirtle & Ivysaur, along with Falco and Lucas would be cut because of custom move sets but those were just estimated cuts) it brings us up to a cast size of about 41.

So that gives us a total of 35 vets and 6 newcomers. I imagine the roster will be 5 by 9-11, so that gives us a total of either 44, 49 or 54 slots (the final slot being the random space). 49 seems like the most accurate balance (approx 35 vets and 14 new characters).

The stage doesn't really indicate anything about whether or not miis are playable. I know some people guessed that the mii's absence in the cage at some points could be indicative of miis being playable, but I don't think the two are related. For one, the mii isn't a unique character. You could have 4 miis fighting and still have one in the cage. Second I think the reason we see the caged mii in some screenshots and not others is because they're a part of the stage gimmick. Assuming the green dragon is a boss character, it wouldn't surprise me if the mii unleashes a special, colour based attack as a reward to whoever kills the dragon.
My idea was maybe the Dark Lord captures one player at random, and the miis shown were actually playable, but then again, Dedede, Bowser, DK etc wouldnt fit in that cage.

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade

The american name of them is Chorus Kids.

Either way, adding them is very random, seeing as they were in only two rhythm mini game, on the DS called rhythm heaven/paradise. There are a total of three rhythm games, so picking a character that only appeared in one of those, for only two mini games is weird. However, this goes for all characters in those games, because all just show up for two mini games.

Shroob

Sup?
The american name of them is Chorus Kids.

Either way, adding them is very random, seeing as they were in only two rhythm mini game, on the DS called rhythm heaven/paradise. There are a total of three rhythm games, so picking a character that only appeared in one of those, for only two mini games is weird. However, this goes for all characters in those games, because all just show up for two mini games.
Thought, one could argue they're the mascots, seeing as how Marshal was based off of them, and they appear on the box art, though, this is veering off topic.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I don't buy this CSS leak. If it's set-up as columns then why is Sonic before Pikachu? It's weird as hell to randomly have a third party column jammed in between Nintendo series...

CapnMuffin

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I disagree. To me, it has a very obvious motion blur. =P

See the top left corner? It's got those sharp corners (replicated on the green shape), which is characteristic of a motion blur. The top right and bottom left characteristics of the type are still discernible as a result, but the top left and bottom right of the type is hard to characterize.

Here's a photo I took with my smart phone of this very screen:

Behold, motion blur! The difference is that when I took this photo, the trajectory my hands took included a pause somewhere during the exposure, so a clearer impression was still made at some point during the taking of this photo.

So the scenario might play out like this: the guy whips out his phone and hits the button in the middle of his motion. If the screen really is providing enough light, the exposure will only last a brief moment, but if he's moving fast enough, it'll result in the very consistent motion blur you see in this photo.

Again, hypothetical, but nothing about this blur is suspicious, in my opinion.
You're right. Now that I look at it you can clearly see from that and especially the "3", there's some motion. Still, from my recent experience it was harder to get a bad photo than a good one. I'm pretty torn on this pic.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
You're right. Now that I look at it you can clearly see from that and especially the "3", there's some motion. Still, from my recent experience it was harder to get a bad photo than a good one. I'm pretty torn on this pic.
You must have a pretty nice phone then. =P My iPhone 4 requires me to support my arms against a wall or table or something in order to get a sharp image indoors.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I find it fun/funny that the guy who had everyone scratching their heads with his leak is now scratching his head from this one :)

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929

"Why is Sonic after Yoshi and Before Bowser?"
Well, for one, Sonic wasn't the first one in his column in Brawl. But in this leak, he's next to Marth but before Pikachu. Unless Pikachu isn't the first one in the Pokemon column for some reason, the top row would end up like this or something like it.

Of course, like I said, some other Pokemon character could be taking Pikachu's spot at the top for some reason. But why would the mascot of the series not be the first on the column?

D

Deleted member

Well, for one, Sonic wasn't the first one in his column in Brawl. But in this leak, he's next to Marth but before Pikachu. Unless Pikachu isn't the first one in the Pokemon column for some reason, the top row would end up like this or something like it.

Of course, like I said, some other Pokemon character could be taking Pikachu's spot at the top for some reason. But why would the mascot of the series not be the first on the column?
Because the Pokemon Trainer is the player character/protagonist, and he's...
wait a sec...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
They could go in order by pokemon number, charizard would come before pikachu
I can't see Pika not first though. He's too iconic. That'd be like Ike or Lucas being before Marth and Ness on the CSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom