• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DSO Biweeklies @ Drexel (Philadelphia, PA) Back in Business

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
spectators can play friendlies, but i still encourage as many ppl as possible to enter singles or doubles

despite all the things ppl say and hypothesize about jungle japes, iv yet to see it be used in such a broken way, in fact, its less random than melee. the AiB ladder uses it fine.

until im proved at a tourney thats its broken, its legal

Beat

Smash Ace
Is Genesis the Falco kid from 101? Hmm.

Anyways, looks like I'm gonna be fawken tired tomorrow. Expect me to be taking up the lounge couch for a non-smash reason.

NewFace

Smash Rookie
Is Genesis the Falco kid from 101? Hmm.

Anyways, looks like I'm gonna be fawken tired tomorrow. Expect me to be taking up the lounge couch for a non-smash reason.
Yes Genesis is the Falco kid from 101.

Don't hog the **** couch. I've been busy all week and this is the first time I'll be there all week. I want to play smash, I've been bored all week.

Beat

Smash Ace
Don't Hog The **** Couch. I've Been Busy All Week And This Is The First Time I'll Be There All Week. I Want To Play Smash, I've Been Bored All Week.
Fawk Yew. 10 Fawks.

I'm gonna get there 1-2 hours early (stupid septa) is there anywhere I could get in and play some before the tourney starts?
Yeah, 32nd and Market. Hit my celly and I can get you. 215.200.4499

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
WHOA! JUNGLE JAPES needs to be BANNED. Falco is broken there. I have qualms with PS, and bigger qualms with PS2, but JUNGLE JAPES MUST GO!
despite all the things ppl say and hypothesize about jungle japes, iv yet to see it be used in such a broken way, in fact, its less random than melee. the AiB ladder uses it fine.
Randomness is not an issue with jungle japes, the klaptraps appear regularly over time, not randomly.

The real issue with it is that Falco can chaingrab to either end, end the CG with a d-air. If the CG to d-air doesn't connect you to a klaptrap, the falco may be able to d-air you again in the water. The klaptraps come out once every 10 seconds if i'm not mistaken, so there's actually a rather decent chance you can get CG-daired into one. Depending on your character it can potentially lead to a 7-minute campfest where you fruitlessly run away from Falco out of fear of getting grabbed even once, and eat lasers meanwhile.

My 2 cents is that I'm not sure anyone would rather play here than on Final Destination (with regards to which stage you'd want to use your ban on when you start a set). But, maybe there aren't any falcos in your region? If so i suppose it never matters

BTW The AiB ladder also uses luigi's mansion, and no strikes/bans, suicide-attacks make the initiator the winner, standing infinites are not banned, etc etc. Theirs is not really the best model to follow

edit: Quickly double checked the klaptraps on my wii. the first one comes out after 3 seconds, then after that it's one per every ten seconds on the dot - whenever the seconds digit on the timer is a "7". you could always look at the timer at any point and know exactly how many seconds before the next one appears

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Well Genesis plays Falco as far as I know, and Keitaro said he's coming. Plus Chibo seconds Falco.

And even if the opponent floats too far from him to get a spike into the water, he can just side-b them, and grab an edge on a side platform. Falco's lazers force people to approach him. And the water destroys multi-jump recoveries.

Rocann

Smash Lord
I've played multiple good Falcos there including SK92 and they can literally just demolish you with lasers from the side platforms, phantasms across and if you get grabbed ANYWHERE except the middle platform above the main platform, you will get CG-spiked as any character but Marth, Samus maybe because of the ub+b? And of course on the main plat like GaW and jiggs will be able to get out of it. It's not just falco, either. Someone like Olimar (not that I main him or anything like that >_>) or Link just can't get out of the water. I've never had any problems with that, though.

^That's just my 2 cents, of course I would like to see JJ off because that makes my ban a much easier decision, but I'm not letting that play any part here.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i know japes is sort of on the edge but iv still yet to see falcos **** that much on the stage lol. and for the record, despite me seocondarying falco, i would rather use rob on that stage lol. i agreed with pierce however (i think thats who texted me lol, i deleted the messages) that il play him in some friendlies before the tourney on japes and i will with a couple ppl and il make my final decision then.

i still cant escape the fact that its legal in melee with having the same level dimensions, water that kills easier than it does in brawl, and random klap traps (that come between 3 and 12 seconds apart if im not mistaken). and falco can only get the cg spike at low percents, which isnt enough for the water, or even a klap trap sometimes, to kill u.
we'l test it out

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Anyone willing to bring a spare controller for me? >_> I am not going home from drexel to get mine...

Oyi Chibo, you need to fill me in where all the brawling takes place in Drexel ;0

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Alright thanks man. I just found out about this o_o I'm surprised I never saw this... And I go to this college >____>

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea it hasnt been advertised that well around campus yet, mainly done on smashboards. i just put a couple flyers up yesterday but they may have been taken down cause i didnt get em authorized lol. il get some nice flyers up soon - with authorization lol

is anyone bringin tv's by any chance?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
spectators can trash talk, but if it gets bad enough to where it starts to really effect and distract the players, then it will have to be toned down

wind - thatd be awesome, a tv's a tv and i dont wanna run short on em lol. so yea, bring the full setup if ya can

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
Everyone that thinks that Jungle Japes is broken just check out the second match in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM9HpDULaNM It's between SK92 Falco vs Forward Snake on Jungle Japes. I would never play on Japes anyway it's just the current screws me up to much.
Perfect example, actually. The fact that snake actually barely wins does not at all prove that it's an okay stage. The whole match was a massive campfest. The timer goes all the way down to 1:39. That is, despite Snake's SD on the first stock. and despite Snake's second stock lasting mere seconds because he gets 0-to-death'ed since the klaptrap reliably appears when the seconds digit is a "7". The timer would've ran out if those didn't happen and if the snake could successfully camp the ledges and stuff more, for all three stocks, which is pretty much his safest bet. Just note that it lasts much longer than the first one on FD with all the stocks played out to high %.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197509

there's probably a reason JJapes is the primary recommendation for falco vs. ~80% of the roster. it's probably that it forces the opponent to camp for their lives, since falco's options for abusing the stage are superior to most other characters'.

but anyway yeah you guys should just try it out, see if anything happens

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
wind - since its an event u dont need ppl to sign u in, u can sign urself in

very amusing set, i really liked it actually, glad ya linked me to it

i really dont feel that the video proves for the reason of having it banned. the timer running down to 1:39 doesn't mean anything. i've seen the timer run out on fd lol. its dependant on the characters most of the time if the camping ensues, and japes is open enough that you can get around camping imo

the first sd snake had was completely his fault lol. that doesnt help the stage being banned at all. as for the second kill, theres plenty of things about this. one, the falco has to have the timing to get the grab and end it at the ledge at the specific time to match up with the klaptrap. the opponent could tech the hit from the trap, saving him. it only works at low percents, and it can only work from a grab on the lower half of the middle platform. it seems kind of rare that this will happen. its quite situational, and does involve some amount of skill on the falco's side.

as for falco having a lot of options to move around and use the stage well, thats what a counterpick is all about. your down in the count and u use a level that gives you an advantage. albeit not a completely broken one as those stages are banned, but clearly ppl v falco (like snake in the vid who already has a bad matchup v falco) still have a chance with winning, even with an sd, and with the falco chain klaptrap kill on the 2nd stock.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
ChiboSempai: yea ul see a big desk with a receptionist
ChiboSempai: talk to her/him
ChiboSempai: give em ur id
ChiboSempai: theyl let u through the gate
ChiboSempai: and they'l tell u where it is
ChiboSempai: though if im not mistaken, its to ur left when u enter

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
lol thx steel. yea i was told its the common room, but im gonna go to the tutor lounge lol. i think that might be what they meant, and its a ballin room for a tourney lol

yea come at 5

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Ultimo Dragon (DK) , Andy G(Olimar), Pierce(Marth), and Velocity(Game& Watch) are left. My money is Andy G.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
My money is on Keitaro....

Oh ****, why didn't Keitaro come :(

The name Andy G sounds oddly familar.....

Is that the Olimar player from the allisbrawl ladder?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
OH SNAP ME AND ROGUE PIT WON DOUBLES!!!!

sry but i had to say it lol

waiting for full results as i had to leave early. who won the following matches:
boxman v steel2nd
ultimodragon v max

then velocity forfeited to ryoko in losers finals if im not mistaken

then ryoko v pierce, who won

Top Bottom