• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Well, Zelda is the TP version of Zelda, where as Sheik is the OOT version of Zelda.

However, hypothetically if I were to create a machinima or head canon for Sm4sh, Dr. Mario wouldn't be a separate character, just Mario in another costume.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
In Smash Bros 64, the characters were actually dolls. It's totally realistic in the canon for Mario dolls to exist from multiple game series, just like in real life.
This is pretty much abandoned, As since Brawl they are treated like the actual characters are traveling to some stadium to meet up with the other characters then fight.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Doc is...

Back in Black!

In all seriousness though, his costumes are great.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

1. . . . . . 2 . . . . . . 3 . . . 4 . . . 5 . . . . . 6 . . . . . 7. . . 8

Which is your favourite Palette Swap for Dr. Mario

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Definitely the black and bright red ones (numbers 5 and 2). I always played as black Dr. Mario in Melee, and the red one just looks cool.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
If there is a stage that revolves around Dr. Mario, it'll have to be on the Wii U, I don't think it's too much to ask for, but I would not be surprised if there isn't one, since there wasn't one in Melee.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I was so dead wrong lol. I was pretty sure he'd be an alt costume, if anything. I really thought he'd be the last Melee cut to make it in (well besides maybe Young Link).

While I still am a bit salty about him being in, his render looks fantastic, I love his alts, and I will use him more than Mario because his Down B.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I seriously thought he was going to be an alternate costume for Mario, just like many others predicted. Boy was I wrong and I'm actually glad I am. Dr. Mario's down B is MORE than enough reason to main him over my tried and true main, Mario.

So let's break this down. I'm maining Lucina because I liked Roy's move set in Melee but hated using Marth, and she seems like the best of both characters. Plus I freaking LOVED her in Fire Emblem: Awakening as a character and she was my waifu <3 I mained Pit back when I played Brawl but Dark Pit seems to fit my play style quite a bit more, not to mention I liked his character in Kid Icarus: Uprising. And I've mained Mario in every single Smash Bros. game to date but like Dark Pit, Dr. Mario seems to work around my play style and of course his down B replaces the stupid F.L.U.D.D. move so I'm quite happy about that.

Overall, it seems I'm more than likely one of the few on SmashBoards, if not the only one, who is maining the 3 new clone characters. I'm going to be pissing off ALOT of people both online and on SmashBoards it seems with my personal preferences. Oh well. Hater's gonna hate I suppose :p

RunawayTarantula

Smash Rookie
I don't get why everybody is so mad about Dr. Mario's return. When I saw him on the leaked character select screen, I got exited. I'm all for any veteran coming back, even the ones that were clones in Melee.:pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee:

Folt

Smash Ace
I'm one of the guys who actually considered his return a possibility. Really glad Sakurai thought that way as well.

Can't wait to play around with the good doctor's moves again.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
If no one already mentioned this, it's heavily implied in Trophy descriptions in Melee that he's a different person (though their relationship gets no explanation).
Aside from them being referred to as two different people grammatically, it was said that Doc has a less active lifestyle, which is why his moves are slightly slower. Also that he has been doing his Dr. thing a lot and for a long time.

I think it can be safely assumed that Doc is from a separate continuity.

What do his 3DS trophies say?

StarLight42

Smash Lord

Black one is amazing still, but I still like the blue and green ones.

Yellow one looks pretty cool too.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
If no one already mentioned this, it's heavily implied in Trophy descriptions in Melee that he's a different person (though their relationship gets no explanation).
Aside from them being referred to as two different people grammatically, it was said that Doc has a less active lifestyle, which is why his moves are slightly slower. Also that he has been doing his Dr. thing a lot and for a long time.

I think it can be safely assumed that Doc is from a separate continuity.

What do his 3DS trophies say?
I can't find any websites with all the 3ds trophy descriptions.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique

I'm definitely sticking to red, black, OG, or purple when I play. Purple being my favorite color, black and white being what I used to play as in melee, and Red being what I play as in Project M. I love the fact that all characters get 8 costumes now.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well...

Yeah, I never thought he would return. I was definitely wrong about that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I considered his return as a possibility. Especially since he was a part of the "Forbidden Seven".

I didn't think he was overly likely, but if Mario where to receive an additional last minute character, I thought he had a decent shot for that.

Last edited:

Fogs

Smash Cadet
I most certainly never expected him, but boy, am I glad he's back! I'm strongly anti-cut and would gladly trade half the newcomers we got so that all the cut veterans would be back.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace

# 4
For once I won't say the green palette just because of my green-loving-bias.

My favorite palette swap for Dr. Mario being the Light Green palette is actually for the logical reference fact, that Doctors in operations who often see red blood all the time, the red signal in the brain fades making it harder to see. Looking at the green on their scrubs helps refresh their vision & keep the eyes sensitive when looking at red.

Last edited:

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack

Definitely the classic black one. Though im looking foward the red one. Looks nice. And the light blue comes in third.

Cant wait to see Dr. Mario in HD in the wii U version <3

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
What about a Nintendo Puzzle Collection stage?

If Doc is once again the ONLY puzzle game rep, I'd like it if other Nintendo puzzle games got refrences by other means. You know, Yoshi's Egg, Puzzle League... the like.

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
I personally would love a tetris stage with falling blocks and all(in the background for FD version), but then after awhile some Megavitamins start falling instead of tetris blocks, maybe even complete with viruses invading the tetris puzzle. Would be a cool way to reference 2 giant nintendo puzzle games at once.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Tetris or Panel De Pon or one of the other puzzle franchises deserve it more.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Tetris is not Nintendo. I've never heard of Panel De Pon. I'd want a puzzle stage period. Even Yoshi's Cookie would be a fun stage.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Tetris is not Nintendo. I've never heard of Panel De Pon. I'd want a puzzle stage period. Even Yoshi's Cookie would be a fun stage.
It once "was." Its ownership has had.... many questionable times, but the iconic music is usually credited to Nintendo for pairing the Russian Folk Song with the Iconic Puzzle Game. And Panel De Pon is where Lip (and Lip's Stick) is from. It got localized and changed into stuff like tetris attack and pokemon puzzle league.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
It once "was." Its ownership has had.... many questionable times, but the iconic music is usually credited to Nintendo for pairing the Russian Folk Song with the Iconic Puzzle Game. And Panel De Pon is where Lip (and Lip's Stick) is from. It got localized and changed into stuff like tetris attack and pokemon puzzle league.
Hmmm, I think Dr. Mario is a little more famous than the latter. But that might just be me. Tetris was once Nintendo yes, but they'd have to get the rights to put them in Smash. I doubt it would be given for free either. The Tetris Company was stiffed at least $50 million by Nintendo.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Hmmm, I think Dr. Mario is a little more famous than the latter. But that might just be me. Tetris was once Nintendo yes, but they'd have to get the rights to put them in Smash. I doubt it would be given for free either. The Tetris Company was stiffed at least $50 million by Nintendo.
Im guessing you don't know the history behind the tetris debacle- the short story is the original devs sold it to several different parties so the rights to it was in a bit of a legal twilight zone internationally. Anyways they could always reference the Puzzle collection games and have the stage use bits from Yoshi's cookie/Panel De Pon/Dr.Mario and so forth since they contain all of them.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Im guessing you don't know the history behind the tetris debacle- the short story is the original devs sold it to several different parties so the rights to it was in a bit of a legal twilight zone internationally. Anyways they could always reference the Puzzle collection games and have the stage use bits from Yoshi's cookie/Panel De Pon/Dr.Mario and so forth since they contain all of them.
Yeah and Nintendo took full advantage of the legal quagmire of the Tetris IP and made eight digits off of it, and then when the owner of Tetris got rightful ownership, Nintendo never even offered to pay back royalties. They weren't legally obligated to, but still. I don't think they'd be so willing to lend Tetris for free to Nintendo, for Smash Bros, even though that'd be awesome.

I like your idea of a puzzle game stage though, I'd be down for something like that.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Tetris or Panel De Pon or one of the other puzzle franchises deserve it more.
They absolutely do not. Do I see a Tetris block playable? No. Do I see Lip playable? No.

Do I see Dr. Mario playable? Yes. So he has the priority.

I wouldn't mind seeing a tetris stage but Dr. Mario definitely has the priority.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Let's talk about Dr. Mario 64. Rudy's Castle would be an AWESOME stage, as would the forest where you battled Mad Scienstein and Hammerbot. Rudy's Castle is the preferred though, that all golden castle would be absolutely BEAUTIFUL in HD, especially if they used a ruined motif and made it sort of broken so the sun could shine in and reflect....ohhhhh.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Yeah and Nintendo took full advantage of the legal quagmire of the Tetris IP and made eight digits off of it, and then when the owner of Tetris got rightful ownership, Nintendo never even offered to pay back royalties. They weren't legally obligated to, but still. I don't think they'd be so willing to lend Tetris for free to Nintendo, for Smash Bros, even though that'd be awesome.

I like your idea of a puzzle game stage though, I'd be down for something like that.
They had bought the rights just like the other parties so they shouldn't have had to retroactively pay royalties for something they did own at the time.

They absolutely do not. Do I see a Tetris block playable? No. Do I see Lip playable? No.

Do I see Dr. Mario playable? Yes. So he has the priority.

I wouldn't mind seeing a tetris stage but Dr. Mario definitely has the priority.
Mario already has 4-5 stages on the 3DS and most of them are new while other franchise just got retro stages. I'd prefer the other puzzle IPs get their day in the sun instead of full out mario related stuff. Some characters don't even have stages from their 'home series' and they use a related stage so I prefer they take that route. It's also pretty obvious the clones were at one time were considered to be alts so I don't think Dr.Mario had that much priority for a stage. Lip's Stick being in more smash games than Dr. Mario isn't completely worthless but panel de pon's weird localization changes do make it less desirable in a way.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
They had bought the rights just like the other parties so they shouldn't have had to retroactively pay royalties for something they did own at the time.
I know that but Nintendo took advantage of the legal quagmire and made a fortune. That would piss anyone off who was the rightful owner. Imagine you had a game and then someone sued you for the rights and in the meantime some other party came, took it and made a fortune off of it. I'd be really reluctant to give the rights to use it to Nintendo for free.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I know that but Nintendo took advantage of the legal quagmire and made a fortune. That would piss anyone off who was the rightful owner. Imagine you had a game and then someone sued you for the rights and in the meantime some other party came, took it and made a fortune off of it. I'd be really reluctant to give the rights to use it to Nintendo for free.
You really don't get it- they were rightful owners in a way. It just happened the original devs fought and sold the rights to several companies for several regions. Nintendo paid just as much as the other parties- The rightful owner now didn't exist during the time when several companies owned the rights. It's a mess and I suggest you research it a bit more because you don't quite understand- if anyone was shafted it was the original group of companies the rights were sold to (Which includes Nintendo.)

Last edited:

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I wanted a Dr. Mario stage since I first played Express on my DSi. However, I can only imagine it being terrible, with the fighters in a giant bottle, with the only way to KO being to get opponents out of the top to their doom (stamina notwithstanding).

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
You really don't get it- they were rightful owners in a way. It just happened the original devs fought and sold the rights to several companies for several regions. Nintendo paid just as much as the other parties- The rightful owner now didn't exist during the time when several companies owned the rights. It's a mess and I suggest you research it a bit more because you don't quite understand- if anyone was shafted it was the original group of companies the rights were sold to (Which includes Nintendo.)
I'm making a very simple point here. That yeah, they could have claimed to be the rightful owners, but that doesn't mean that when the dust settles they are going to let bygones be bygones and let Nintendo get even more freebees. When they fought so hard to get Tetris and missed out on so much lost revenue from Nintendo in the meantime, that they will probably be extremely reluctant to have Nintendo get their IP for free. You can't claim that Nintendo was shafted when they made millions off of something that was determined later to not legally be theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom